Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Funniest Accents In English

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:17 am

Living in LA, I was exposed to a lot of "funny" accents. What are some of the accents you find funny?

Indian/South Asian Accent
Vietnamese Accent
"Chinese" Accent

BTW, anyone try to learn to speak English in another accent, right now I'm trying to pick up on a NY accent.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

LH423

RE: Funniest Accents In English

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:53 am

Newfoundlander (Newfoundlandese?).

It's a cross between North American and like and Irish/Scottish hybrid. It's actually a really cool sounding accent when you're hearing people speak it in real life, because it's often so ridiculed on TV. So, when you hear someone speak with it for real, you kinda do a double take and smile on the inside.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AeroWesty

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Thread starter):
What are some of the accents you find funny?

duck 
International Homo of Mystery

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):

LOL, that means yes in the "Indian" head langauge, rotfl.

I'm from India, but I learned about that only when I came over here, It could be confusing for others because the head-nod for yes in India means no.

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:20 am

The UK has more accents than you can shake a stick at! Ones which amuse (and fascinate) me are the true Devonian 'janner', Somerset and Dorset's 'wurzel', and the Cornish accent. All will sound like another language completely to a foreigner, the latter sometimes drifting into true the Cornish dialect which I find impossible to understand. The Westcountry accents in general are said to be as close to the 'Anglo Saxon' language as you can get! I would try to find some videos to post, but YouTube is down for maintenance.

Brummie English is also a bit of a laugh, it's often used by others when somebody wants to take the piss, or pretend to be stupid, which isn't entirely fair on the population of the West Midlands.  silly 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

diamond

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:44 am

Chicago accent (i.e. Bob Woodward):

Louisiana accent (i.e. James Carville):

Old Boston accent (i.e. JFK):

Pittsburgh accent. I couldn't find a good example. But "You need to go around the house" sounds like, "Yinz need ta go arond the hoss"
Blank.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting Diamond (Reply 5):

wow, the speech by Kennedy is quite captivating. What a charismatic president

therock401

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:07 am

When this Minnesooooootan transplanted to Puget Sound has to run down to Tacoooooooooma to get some materials for my boooooooat and that hotdish, everyone always laughs when I tell them this.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:27 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 4):
The UK has more accents

I like the Wales accent in a way (like James Callaghan). While in London for 3 months in 72, my correspondence teacher was Welsh and uuuuunbelievably proooud of it ! And while the Dublin accent is quite nice, I find the Belfast thing really horrible. Cockney is something teachers tell you NOT to take over but when in London you gradually absorb some of that into your own English, as you in reality here it in so many places. Amazing is that the various quarters of London have their own accents, bordering to dialects. But, I still remember a Switzerland-country-manager of British Airways complaining that some fool in London had told him that people in German speaking Switzerland spoke SOME dialects, but since having arrived he had realized that every single Swiss resident spoke his particular private dialect !  rotfl 

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 6):
the speech by Kennedy is quite captivating. What a charismatic president

-
amazing is that I when travelling in the USA realized that JFK, possibly a bit like Bill Clinton, was far far far more popular in Europe than in his own country. After his death, there even was a longplay-record with most of his speeches on the market which sold very very well .

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:00 am

the Cornish accent

He is amusing, isn't he (but we shouldn't mock the afflicted  Smile )
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

md90fan

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:06 am

Probably the Mongolian girl in my Spanish class  rotfl 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

PanHAM

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 6):
wow, the speech by Kennedy is quite captivating. What a charismatic presiden

bit off topic, but that was the enternally famous "Isch bin ein Baelineeaer" speech. I watched that live on TV back then and I watched the vidoe in full lenght again just now. This should be shown in every history class and every politics class around the world.

The speech shows what makes the difference between "politician" and "statesman" and I have never heard a better explanation of the term "freedom". The speech is only equalled by Ronald Reagan's speech in Berlin. Both were proven right.

And yes, wonderful Bostonian accent.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

Banco

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 8):
Cockney is something teachers tell you NOT to take over but when in London you gradually absorb some of that into your own English, as you in reality here it in so many places. Amazing is that the various quarters of London have their own accents, bordering to dialects.

Which needs some refinement. Because the cockney accent isn't a generic London accent at all, but a very specific part of London. Those who aren't used to it tend to call most London accents "cockney" and that's far from true; different parts of London have very different accents, from the way west Londoners will use a glottal stop on the first part of a word but not the second, whilst the rest of London will use it on the second but not the first, to very, very different accents in the East End compared to the rest of the capital and so forth.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:29 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 13):
to call most London accents "cockney" and that's far from true;

two different things indeed --- as I have seen many of the persons in question CAN switch from Cockney to a more "standard" London accent
-
you however have to imagine that as a newcomer you take over EVERYTHING, you mix the Paddington/WestLondon thing with a bit of Cockney and things you catch up in other areas such as Tottenham Court Road, Hounslow/Heathrow etc.
-
interesting is when you ask people for the way, some have it with "Tottnem Court r...d" and "Piccadilly l...." and others rather with "Tottnnn crt ROUAD" and "Piccad.... LANE" which is quite entertaining in a way !  Big grin
-
and we foreigners then "loved" that speaker-lady on the tube tell ing people "mine de doors please --- please mine de doors" and we needed a while to get it that it was "mind" and what that word in this context meant !  Yeah sure
-
My 3months stay in London was back in 1972 but I remember those days just as if they had been this year.

HAWK21M

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:35 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 3):
It could be confusing for others because the head-nod for yes in India means no.

Isn't it more of a mix between a nod & horizontal head shake  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

vc10

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:37 am

Many years ago when operating into Bombay, with a co-pilot who had a broad Welsh accent, as we shut the engines down we asked by the tower to report to operations before leaving the airport.

Wondering what we had down we however did report to operations where we were criticised for speaking on the R/T in a mock Indian accent. the co-pilot, who had been doing the R/T, hotly denied this and in doing so his Welsh accent explained everything, as a Welsh accent and an Indian accent can sometimes be very similar, especially over the R/T

littlevc10

Ryanair737

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:40 am

It has to be the Welsh (UK) accent doesn't it, its just plane strange to listen to.
LAST FLIGHTS= Ryanair LPL-BGY-LPL - EI-DPS/DWV - MAY 08 // NEXT FLIGHTS= TBC

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 12):
but that was the enternally famous "Isch bin ein Baelineeaer" speech.

Ah yes, the famous "I am a doughnut" speech. Words to live by  biggrin 
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

PanHAM

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):

Ah yes, the famous "I am a doughnut" speech. Words to live by

we had this before, but comparing a "Berliner" with a doughnut is like comparing a statesman with a politician.

Plane stupid.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

kmh1956

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:04 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Yorkshire and Geordie dialects.....they're so much fun to listen to....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 19):
comparing a "Berliner" with a doughnut is like comparing a statesman with a politician.

Round, deep-fried dough with jam in the middle. If it walks like a doughnut and quacks like doughnut, it's probably a doughnut. A bit like comparing a statesman to a Bismarck  Smile

Toast

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:18 pm

I'm unfortunately totally accent-deaf, which is an embarrassing affliction for a linguist, kind of like a pilot who's unable to tell an A320 from an A321.  ashamed 

I can tell an American from a Briton, but not an American from a Canadian or a Kiwi from an Aussie. There's absolutely no way in hell I could tell a Bostonian from a Chicagoan. I just see every person's speech mannerisms as an individual characteristic - to me, there are no discernible geographical patterns in pronunciation. I know very well that that's a totally false perception, but there you go. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I suck at music, too.  Smile

Idiosyncratic pronunciations never strike me as particularly funny, either. What does amaze me is when I can't understand a supposedly native English speaker. So my nomination for the "funniest English accent" goes to the citizens of the city of Glasgow. It's the only "English speaking" city I've ever been to where I had a hard time trying to understand what people were saying to me.  Smile
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 22):
So my nomination for the "funniest English accent" goes to the citizens of the city of Glasgow.

Kirkie is an excellent example of this. Although Pictish gruntings cannot really be classifed as speech. To be speech there has to be at least the intent to communicate  Smile

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
He is amusing, isn't he (but we shouldn't mock the afflicted )

Indeed, they are on the endangered species list. Quick, grab one for your local zoo whilst they are still available!  Wink

baroque

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:31 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 20):
LOVE LOVE LOVE the Yorkshire and Geordie dialects.....they're so much fun to listen to....

Which do you want? Born with a Geordie accent and worked in Yarkshur.

Have you heard a Geordie say

"Around the rugged rock the ragged rascal ran his rural race"? Hint it is very good for clearing the thrrrroat. But being brought up with a guttural R makes the Indonesian R doubly difficult, other end of the tongue - as it were!

deltagator

Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:36 pm

BTW, anyone try to learn to speak English in another accent, right now I'm trying to pick up on a NY accent.

You're actually trying to speak in a NY accent? Do you just want to stay a virgin the rest of your life or something?  Wink
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

ME AVN FAN

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:18 pm

When I for the first time arrived in Texas I found the Texas dialect most difficult to understand, but after a few days became quite used to hearing it, and understood everything ---- ehhhhm, at least almost everything

TuRbUleNc3

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:33 pm

The broad yorkshire accent can be difficult to pick up as words are often changed or pronounced differently as in thee or thy for you, kay for key, darn for down babby for baby, watter for water etc. Must say though, a small minority only speak broad yorkshire dialect, and its mainly the ex miners and old people.

kmh1956

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:01 pm

Quoting TuRbUleNc3 (Reply 28):
The broad yorkshire accent

That's the one! It's brill !!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 24):
Quick, grab one for your local zoo whilst they are still available!

Euuwww - no thanks. Except maybe as food for the piranhas  Smile

cornish

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 10):
the Cornish accent

He is amusing, isn't he (but we shouldn't mock the afflicted )

'Ere. Yew bin takin the piss aaawt of my aaahccent ?? Bledy Emmett !!  grumpy 
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 31):
'Ere. Yew bin takin the piss aaawt of my aaahccent ?? Bledy Emmett !!

Get back to your comboin 'arvesterrr, Rambling Sid !

PlymSpotter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 32):
Get back to your comboin 'arvesterrr, Rambling Sid !

no, no, that's the Wurzels... come on, I thought you knew your British folk music!

Banco

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 31):
'Ere. Yew bin takin the piss aaawt of my aaahccent ?? Bledy Emmett !!

Everyone's worst nightmare. An unfunny Jethro.  grumpy 
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 11):
Mongolian girl in my Spanish class

yeah, I had some Mongolians in my school, too lol. What High school in LA? LA HIGH?

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 15):
mix between a nod & horizontal head shake

You should know best, youre in the heartland

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 26):
actually trying to speak in a NY accent?

hahaha, well I want to be able to speak in the "standard" American accent if there is such a thing and learn to speak with that accent in New York, its hilarious.

Maverick623

Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:46 am

I've been blessed (or cursed... depends on what the accent it) with being able to easily imitate accents. Anytime I go back to NY, I pick up the good old NY accent. Anytime I visit my cousins near Liverpool, it's something of a cross between Scouser and North Yorkshire.... which is great because I have a hard time understanding them as it is.

Or just last night, I met someone from Mississipi.... now I'm a good ol' Southern boy!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 36):

Youre gifted, I can only do my "native" accent of the Indian accent and the "standard" BBC English accent.

Maverick623

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:51 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 22):
Kiwi from an Aussie.

Actually kinda funny... last night one of my friends started talking in a damn near perfect Kiwi accent... except he thought he was talking Aussie. I think I've been around the two too much!
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

747WanSui

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:14 am

Call Aeroflot's New York Office (+1 888 340 6400), choose the flight arrival & departure option (option 3), and tell me what you think about that accent...
Long live the Boeing 747!

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting 747WanSui (Reply 39):
Call Aeroflot's New York Office (+1 888 340 6400), choose the flight arrival & departure option (option 3), and tell me what you think about that accent...

Very familiar with the Russian accent, most of my Tennis team in High School was Russian, learned a couple of phrases too. The accent isnt that "bad".

gunsontheroof

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:27 am

Manitoba/Saskatchewan accents. Put Canada and Minnesota together and you've got it!
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

RobK

Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:35 am

The late Fred Dibnah from Bolton is a good example of a strong Lancashire (booo) accent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gNKw_yTJQe0

Al sithee (my fellow countymen should be able to work out where I'm from from that - and it ain't Sweden!)

R

[Edited 2007-10-31 22:39:39]

[Edited 2007-10-31 22:40:30]

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Banco (Reply 34):
Emmett !!

Everyone's worst nightmare. An unfunny Jethro. grumpy

A) WHAT is an "Emmett" ??? B) WHAT is a "Jethro" ???
-

cornish

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:27 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 43):
A) WHAT is an "Emmett" ??? B) WHAT is a "Jethro" ???

a.) emmetts are what Cornish people call foreigners (i.e. anyone from outside Cornwall). People from Devon use the term Grockle incidentally....

b.) Jethro is a Cornish comedian.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 44):
emmetts are what Cornish people call foreigners (i.e. anyone from outside Cornwall).

Don't you mean "anyone with more than one DNA helix"  Smile

ME AVN FAN

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 44):
a.) emmetts are what Cornish people call foreigners (i.e. anyone from outside Cornwall). People from Devon use the term Grockle incidentally....

b.) Jethro is a Cornish comedian.

Thanks !

TuRbUleNc3

Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 29):
That's the one! It's brill !!

Dunt tha jus knaw it  Wink

FlyDeltaJets87

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:02 pm

What are some of the accents you find funny?

I'm sorry. Nothing can top the Korean accent of Kim Jong Il in Team America added with the stereotype of not being able to pronounce L's .- "Oh herro"  biggrin 
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 48):
"Oh herro"

LOL ROTFL, I lived in the city with the largest Korean American population, and I have to agree wholeheartedly, they have a funny accent. One of my friends who was named Ryan never had his name pronounced correctly, instead they called him "lion".