Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

md11fan
Topic Author

Job For 16 Year Old?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:24 am

Ok so have been working for a restaurant called ruby's for a little over a year and are about to throw in the towel it was a great job with good money but the owners and people that worked there really got on my nerve so i think its time for a new job. I was thinking something along the lines of a Tech place like CC or best buy i am outstanding at stuff like that and it is my calling other then that something along the lines of a auto shop or maybe even the airport (i would love that) so i dunno what is a good job or what kinda job can i get a 16?

xjramper

RE: Job For 16 Year Old?

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:09 am

Well, let's first hope you find a job where it doesn't require you to proof read your stuff.  Wink

Laws are usually pretty tight about how many hours you can work as a minor. At 16, you aren't going to be the first one chosen for a decent paying job.

My advice to you is to find a place that you can make your way up the ranks (fast food comes to mind) to show that you can achieve and maintain a supervisor status. Get into what you think is your calling after you graduate college.

XJR
Look ma' no hands!

2H4

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:18 am

If your long-term goals involve aviation, get a job at a small airport, fueling airplanes, cleaning facilities, cleaning airplanes, replenishing the lobby donut supply, etc, etc. The connections you'll make will more than make up for the lousy pay and sometimes harsh working conditions.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

zTagged

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 am

Whatever you do, don't pick retail. For the love of god, save your self the headaches working as a retail cashier.
My god, the stories I could tell..  gnasher 
Pick fast food, it'd probably be the easiest thing to do..
I vowed I'd never do fast food, picked retail.. Man, am I paying the price.  duck 
Something awful.

NeilYYZ

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:07 am

The day I turned 16 I started lifeguarding. A decent job for a 16 year old. I started off getting paid just over $12.50/hr and got raises every half year. There is no easier job than sitting in a chair and watching the ladies (or men if you swing that way) swim around all day. I know there were lifeguards in towns nearby that were starting at $15.00/hr and even more for instructing. I doubt that you could find much better money than that at 16.

However, if your passion is aviation, I would go for the airport.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

PAHS200

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:44 am

i worked in retail for 2 years (14 to 16 years old) and hated everyday

AirTranTUS

Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:07 pm

I wouldn't pick fast food if I were you. I worked at a grocery store for two years and had a great time.

If you are thinking about fast food, go to a restaurant, and look at the people working there while you are in line and ask yourself if that is really what you want to be doing: working in that small space, etc. Whenever I go to a fast food place (not that often), I am always glad I have never worked at one.
I love ASO!

futurecaptain

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:12 pm

Not many, or any, airports will hire a 16 yr old nowadays. Liability if something were to happen is too great. Working at the airport is a dangerous job for sure.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

DfwRevolution

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:23 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 4):
The day I turned 16 I started lifeguarding. A decent job for a 16 year old. I started off getting paid just over $12.50/hr and got raises every half year.

I agree with Neil, you're not going to get much better pay at 16 doing anything other than lifeguarding. The hours are usually very good and you can typically work year-round depending on where you live.

Having current lifeguarding training is a great college job too. All universities will have an indoor pool, and working 1-2 shits a week made me some decent spending money without hogging too much time.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Goldenshield

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:25 pm

Quoting Md11fan (Thread starter):
Ok so have been working for a restaurant called ruby's for a little over a year . . . throw in the towel . . . the owners and people that worked there really got on my nerve . . . .

Leaving a job just because of personality conflicts or perceived mis-treatment is never a good reason. Unless the things they do break the law, there's really nothing you can do about their personality or behavior, and often times, you'll see that the grass is no greener on the other side. Also, have you ever thought that there is something that YOU are doing that may be getting on their nerves as well?

Seeing that you've work a year at this restaurant at your age proves that they like you. Since you are still in school, you are pretty much expendable, and they would've gotten rid of you a long time ago if they didn't think you were enough of an worker to keep around.

By the way, Ruby's rocks.  Smile Is this the one on the pier?
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

LAXspotter

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 pm

Quoting XJRamper (Reply 1):
At 16, you aren't going to be the first one chosen for a decent paying job.

yup, good example is me your friend John.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 2):
get a job at a small airport, fueling airplanes, cleaning facilities, cleaning

not gonna happen for this guy, he lives near SNA, none of the FBO's are gonna hire a kid

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 6):
I am always glad I have never worked at one.

yes, yes, yes

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 7):
airports will hire a 16 yr old nowadays

Yup, I dont think so either

Quoting DfwRevolution (Reply 8):
16 doing anything other than lifeguarding

This guy cant swim

John, go around the stores, sadly you wont be working in aviation anytime soon, I think you will enjoy stores such as Radioshack and Bestbuy. I dont think you will enjoy working @ a Grocery Store. Then again why the hell do you need to work, you live in Newport Beach
 duck   Big grin
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AirCop

Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:27 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 6):
I worked at a grocery store for two years and had a great time.

Worked at a mom and pop grocery store in a beachside town with a nude beach that was very popular with the ÿoung adult crowd" around 1970's as AirTran stated it was fun, and the sights were a bonus.

[Edited 2007-10-31 12:28:35]

jafa39

Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:59 pm

I asked The Hormones for advice on this one and her pick would be a small outfit (she hated KMart) where you are a person rather than a number, the actual product is immaterial, you'll get treated like shit at 16 wherever you work if you are just "cannon fodder".

So...pick the people rather than the industry, plenty of time yet for a change of career....mine came at 33!!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

kstateinALB

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Md11fan (Thread starter):
I was thinking something along the lines of a Tech place like CC or best buy

When I turned 16, I put in an application at Target for the electronics and entertainment departments. I absolutely love it there, especially when you need the time off, they help you with that. When my track season was going on, they allowed me to take the days I needed off, and didn't say anything bad at all about it. They are very open to where you want to be in the store. Even though it's retail, it's still a fun job, and when you get to college, you have an automatic one with a work transfer to the store nearest the college. BTW, electronics is a great job, I love it. Just be nice to the people, and don't act like an ass, so to speak.

Quoting ZTagged (Reply 3):
Whatever you do, don't pick retail. For the love of god, save your self the headaches working as a retail cashier

That's for a cashier, however, there's only one in a few that really have an issue. Retail's a great start to gain customer service skills, especially if you want to get into the airline industry.

gunsontheroof

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting ZTagged (Reply 3):
Whatever you do, don't pick retail. For the love of god, save your self the headaches working as a retail cashier.

As somebody already pointed out, he's sixteen. Retail is pretty much the best of what's readily available. I worked for a grocery store for five years and while it certainly was awful at times, I made a lot of great friends and am a better person for having worked there (working in retail teaches you to be nice to people when you're out in the world). Most people my age (23) have paid their dues in the retail world, my advice to someone who will probably have to do the same is to make the best of it. If you can get a job in the grocery department of your local supermarket (stocking shelves, working freight, etc) I'd say go for it. As retail jobs go, it's pretty tolerable. I'm actually looking at doing that again at the neighborhood food co-op during my year off before grad school (I went to college for this?).
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Evan767

Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:39 am

I don't know if you live near any golf courses, but being a caddy is the best job a high schooler could ever have. I have been a caddie since I was 13. It'll be 3 years this summer since I started. On average, I get 110-120 per round (4 hours). I make about 230 dollars in one weekend for 8 hours work. That's outstanding for a 16 year old. To top it all off, you get payed simply straight from the golfer, no need to worry about taxes (bad, but true). AND, if you get a course that sponsor's the Chick Evans caddie scholarship, you can get a full riding scholarship with a private house to live in for some select colleges. Google it. Both my brothers got it, I'm also planning to.

Benefits:
Free golf at a high-class, private course on Mondays with carts
A great workout to keep you in shape (5 miles of walking with a golf bag on each shoulder)
A nice tan I guess? If you like farmer's tans.
And if applicable, the scholarship.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

co777er

Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 10):
I dont think you will enjoy working @ a Grocery Store. Then again why the hell do you need to work, you live in Newport Beach

Heck, find something in Fashion Island. I know there is a CC there. If you want a grocery store, then hit up Gelsons or Bristol Farms... stay away from the unions at Vons and Pavilions!!!

ebs757

Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:50 am

I just applied at Best Buy and im 16. People are telling me its a great job. You also can't beat the discount
Viva la Vida