Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Doona

RE: Is It Wrong To Be Homophobic?

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 pm

Quoting Trav110 (Reply 49):
Overall, I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with being uncomfortable around something that's very different from what you're used to. In fact, I think it's perfectly understandable.

Well said. It's perfectly natural to feel this way around new things. After all, we are creatures of habit and community, and if something or someone deviates, we're not always inclined or equipped to handle and accept that. However, as Trav says, it's when we get complacent and decide to live with our discomfort instead of trying to fix things, one way or the other, that things get dangerous. I'd much rather have one vocal gay rights advocate and one... er... whatever you call the opposite of that, than two moderate politicians who only whisper the words "tolerance" and "patience".

Cheers
Mats

mauriceb

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:42 pm

mmmm although im straight (100%) i don't feel any threatened by gay people, because i know alot of them, and they are actually the most kind people on earth!

youre homophobic, im Vegetarianphobic, everyone has his feelings about things  Smile

Klaus

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 52):
youre homophobic, im Vegetarianphobic, everyone has his feelings about things

As long as you're not beating up vegetarians who've never hurt you...!  mischievous 

mauriceb

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:46 pm

Quote:
As long as you're not beating up vegetarians who've never hurt you...!

lol  Smile no worry's, because i don't like the idea's of most of them, doesn't mean ill hit one lol

Shawn Patrick

Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:52 pm

If you're homophobic, why are you not afraid of this forum?  Smile

mt99

Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting Fllcontinental (Thread starter):
anytime I am around a gay.

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 11):
I'd blame that on lack of exposure.

I think it was an editorial i read about JK Rowling outing one of her characters, that said something along the lines of: "If all homosexuals would suddenly turn purple - homophobia would seize to exist" The point of the author is that when you realize how many homosexuals are out there - and more importantly WHO is a gay - it would be easier to accept them.

As long as we are talking about phobias - Nothing scares me more than a pack of drunken women. They get all touchy..

yuck 

BigOrange

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:06 pm

In general I don't have a problem with gays, and have had some friends in the past who are gay.

My problem is when these people flaunt their sexuality (making out in public) and not going out drinking with colleagues because they are not going to gay bars.

If you are gay why does the whole world have to know???

dtwclipper

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:13 pm

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 57):
My problem is when these people flaunt their sexuality

Well, it had to come up sometime...what about all the straights who do the same on the streets...that bugs me too. Geez breeders...get a room I don't want to see that nasty stuff...

Think about what you are asking.....you are saying, go back into the closet rather then live your life.

and not going out drinking with colleagues because they are not going to gay bars.

That is most likely on a case by case basis. We don't go to gay bars, and 99% of our friends are breeders...

Doona

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:19 pm

My problem is when these people flaunt their sexuality (making out in public) and not going out drinking with colleagues because they are not going to gay bars.

Straight people make out in public, and very few people seem to be complaining about that...

Now, if actually some people don't go out drinking with their co-workers because they don't go to gay bars, IMO they are being heterophobic (which is also a problem), but I have trouble imagining that it happens on a large scale. Shit, if I were to avoid my co-workers, it would be because I don't like them very much, not the fact that they are straight.

On the other hand, I don't see how you can be upset about both things (public displays of affection AND avoiding straight bars), since clearly you'd see alot less boy-on-boy tongue-wrestling if gay people actually tried to avoid straight people...  sarcastic 

Cheers
Mats

AeroWesty

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 48):
Often people who despise Volvo drivers do it because they don't like their lifestyle or percieved attitudes and behaviour, some people really hate Aston Martin drivers for the same set of reasons...if you didn't like A-M drivers you may well fear becoming one

My analogy was based on that I've been told here that it's okay to be afraid of gays (or harbor whatever feelings people do) only because of the unknown factor. It's somehow okay to be uncomfortable, or harbor ill-will towards that unknown, when if someone felt the same way about strawberry ice cream, people would say, "look, it's just ice cream, what's the big deal?"

I knew I was attracted to males before I really knew what the difference was. Why? Couldn't tell ya. It just is what it is. When I did figure out what the difference was, I didn't hate heteros, but in the same position, some heteros hate gays. I honestly don't have a clue why that is other than it being a learned response. I simply don't accept the fear of the unknown factor. It makes no sense to me at all.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 48):
if we (the straights) have to accept homosexuality then it is only fair that gays accept that some people will never accept it and leave it there

I'd just like those who are to be upfront about so I know what I'm dealing with, then let me go on my way. I let heteros do what they want to do unfettered.

The one thing I'm very pleased with is that 25-30 years ago, you wouldn't have seen people nearly as open about being gay as they are now, which is a huge step forward. Being gay used to be an enormous controversy. Now in mainstream society it's just being "different." I can't complain about that one bit, and won't.  Smile

atct

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:45 pm

Playing Devils advocate (and at the same time voicing some of my own opinion)

It is not wrong to feel offended by someones sexual preference. It is not wrong to feel offended by someones choice in any matter. In todays world of policital correctness bullshit, we are losing some of our personal thoughts and feelings because "1/10 of society thinks its wrong". People can tell me, that because I think homosexuality is wrong, it offends them. The whole idea that I dont agree with someone is now politically incorrect. I dont go around going "shut up fag" or "get away from me homo" etc., I just dont agree with it.

On the other side of the fence, if Homosexuality offends me, then by the same logical token, they are wrong. There are things in society that offend me. There are things in society that offende at least one person somewhere. By being politically correct, you snuff out each individuals feelings and emotions and we all become boring and dull.

I believe homosexuality is wrong. I also do NOT believe in being political correct, as this is discriminating against someones beliefs or emotions, and I do not believe in discrimination.

ATCT

AGM100

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:47 pm

Their are a few things I fear in life: My kids getting hurt or making bad life choices , my little brother not coming home , getting a disease , going bankrupt. I may not agree with homosexuality , but I know that they are people who mean me no harm. To be honest the more and more I am invloved with women .. I wish I was gay !!  Big grin

AA777

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:04 pm

I have homophobia and am not proud of it. It's not that I think that gays are morally repugnant but I just feel uncomfortable anytime I am around a gay. Does anybody else here share my fear?

Well the upside of this is that you arent proud of it...so perhaps you'd like to try to change this?? I'm sure a lot of people feel 'uncomfortable' around gay people. And I think that being gay has a lot of stigmas attached to it, so of course straight guys especially make fun of it, and do not understand it. And thats where the fear comes from... hell, I have no idea what one finds attractive about a vagina. But if you like it- who am I to stop you? And should I be afraid of you or uncomfortable around you because you like women? Yes, I realize that being straight is the more 'mainstream' thing, and so feeling like that would be much less common.... But whats the big deal? Gay men like other men.... so? I'd like you to answer these questions HONESTLY to yourself....

1. So... how does the fact that you might be AROUND a gay man affect your life?
2. Are you bound to go home with him against your will?
3. What are the realistic odds that a gay man is going to make a pass at you?
4. How can being around a gay man really hurt you?
5. Are you afraid that being around them will make other people think you are gay?
6. What kind of upbringing did you have that might affect your outlook and/or views of gays?
7. What biases might you have?

I think answering these questions would help you think about the reasons you feel uncomfortable and if its really worth it to feel this way....

Many straight guys have this completely irrational fear of being hit on by gay men...thinking that gays want any guy they can find. Well let me tell you a secret...while there are a few who like to want straight men (everyone wants what they cant have).... MOST dont go for them- UNLESS- they feel that this guy isnt so straight after all.....

Sure, a good looking guy is a good looking guy...but sadly I find that I dont have that much in common with most straight guys and so I've never really had a crush on one. So stay straight, more power to you. I dont want a straight guy and I dont know anyone that goes after them for sport either.

-AA777

Klaus

Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
People can tell me, that because I think homosexuality is wrong, it offends them.

The offense is taken in view of the fact that attitudes like yours have historically led to violent persecution of gay people - and to this very day in many regions. That's a fact that can't and shouldn't just be ignored.

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
I believe homosexuality is wrong.

That makes exactly as much - or as little - sense as you believing that people having red hair was somehow "wrong"!  crazy 

And there have in fact been times when people were ostraciszed, beaten up or killed ultimately just because they had red hair. Totally bizarre from our modern point of view. And yet some people still think they should judge other people (or even themselves) because of something as immutable as their sexual orientation.

Equally bizarre, but still popular among some people.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 13):
And whatever some people say, you can't "change" in whatever direction, especially not by "exposure" to gay people. If you're straight, then that's what you are and it won't change anyway. So no need to fear anything, really.

I find it extremely peculiar that some of the most homophobic people are so adamant that it was all about "rejecting the choice" - if they were truly straight themselves, they would know that there was no choice involved, really...!

Klaus there is a most interesting dialectic on this subject going on that has potentially significant implications.

A recent study performed in the state of Oregon concluded that a certain percentage of rams prefer the company of fellers when it comes to disporting themselves. (parenthetically, a ram who can't or won't cover usually ends up as mutton stew but that's another story.)

That's led to some folks pointing at it and saying "There's the proof! Gayness is written into genetic code, can't do a thing about it!" Of course, that debunks the 'deprogrammers' who think they can bring gay folks back to the hetero fold when they're not out smoking meth with gay hookers like Reverend Haggard did.

On the other hand, saying it's written into the genetic code gives some folks who subscribe to the notions of eugenics the potential to identify gay folk as genetically defective and proceed to do something about it-as the late Austrian Corporal and others did. Who can predict what society will think in a future time?

But if you say "Oh no....it's nurture and socialization that's the cause of it!" then you in effect legitimate the efforts of the deprogrammers.

Neither of these outcomes seems especially desirable to adopt as the definitive word on the subject.

So which direction's a person to go in?

The better part of valor may be to take no position, if I may be permitted a small pun.

Wink

searpqx

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:16 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
It is not wrong to feel offended by someones sexual preference.

Its not a preference. Period. Until you can point to the point in your life where you chose to be straight you'll have to accept the fact that I didn't choose to be gay.

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
I dont go around going "shut up fag" or "get away from me homo" etc., I just dont agree with it.

I will never deny a person a right to their feelings, whether I agree or disagree with them. So if you choose to be offended by something I have no control over, thats up to you and I don't begrudge you those feelings. I even appreciate you telling me how you feel, as long as how you feel doesn't impact how you treat me as a person.

Bottom line, I don't think you can label feelings (except in extreme sociopathic type cases) right or wrong. Its what you do about those feelings, how you act on them, that is at hand. If homosexuality makes you uncomfortable and you deny yourself contact with a segment of the population because of it, then thats your choice, and likely your loss, but I don't see it as wrong. If you actively work to ensure that visible signs of homosexuality are removed from society, then yes, your feelings have now been translated into actions that are most definitely wrong.

Klaus

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 64):
That's led to some folks pointing at it and saying "There's the proof! Gayness is written into genetic code, can't do a thing about it!" Of course, that debunks the 'deprogrammers' who think they can bring gay folks back to the hetero fold

There are plenty of cases where all kinds of animals in the wild or in zoos have been and are observed to be obviously gay, birds, mammals, all kinds of critters.

The option appears to be so basic and fundamental that it's shared across a very wide selection of species, if not all of them.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 64):
On the other hand, saying it's written into the genetic code gives some folks who subscribe to the notions of eugenics the potential to identify gay folk as genetically defective and proceed to do something about it-as the late Austrian Corporal and others did.

It is very unlikely that it's an isolated trait. There are indications that it is intrinsically linked with other factors such as increased fertility of the immediate relatives, so the evolutionary "cost" would be (more than) compensated by a corresponding "benefit" which stabilized the genetic factor to the point we're seeing now.

Oversimplifying fanatics can't be helped, but my expectation is that the more it's understood the less this knowledge lends itself to drastic measures.

777236ER

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:08 pm

NWA742 implies that it's OK to disagree with the 'gay lifestyle' as he calls it. It's OK in the same way as it is to disagree with the 'black lifestyle'.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 67):
It's OK in the same way as it is to disagree with the 'black lifestyle'.

And the 'hetero lifestyle'.

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:10 pm

Quoting DavestanKSAN (Reply 9):
It's like asking JGPH1A how to be a vegetarian!!

I eat vegetables. Donuts are vegetables, right ? They have fruit in, anyway - well, pink goop which deep down in it's genetic components contains some strands of fruit DNA.

Quoting Klaus (Reply 52):
As long as you're not beating up vegetarians who've never hurt you...!

I reserve the right to inflict bodily harm on DavestanKSAN for his insolence and tofu. He is richly deserving of punishment.

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
I believe homosexuality is wrong.

"I believe red hair is wrong". See how stupid that sounds ?

N1120A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:15 pm

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):

I believe homosexuality is wrong

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
and I do not believe in discrimination.

Oh really? These are mutually exclusive statements.

ajd1992

Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:45 pm

I have homophobia and am not proud of it. It's not that I think that gays are morally repugnant but I just feel uncomfortable anytime I am around a gay. Does anybody else here share my fear?

Personally, I don't care for people who are homophobic, but then again, i used to be homophobic (I guess because at the time i thought i was gay, and i was in denial)

Just talk to gays. Don't think of them as gay, think of them as a person, because at the end of the day, that's all they are. Same as any other straight, bi, gay, transsexual.

pawsleykat

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:12 pm

I would say it is wrong to be homophobic... but not wrong to disagree with it. For example, I came out in February this year...; a lot of my friends said that they knew I was gay, and the majority of them accepted that that was how it was... However, when I told my mum in June this year, she wasn't exactly shocked but, being a Christian, does not agree that it is God's way for me. There was many an argument over this fact and it took tweaks on both sides to come to a conclusion. My mum still doesn't agree with homosexuality - due to her beliefs - but agrees that it isn't worth worrying about if one's son is gay. It's just a normal part of life...

Remember, phobia is just a fear of the unknown.. no matter what you may be a phobic of.  Smile

JG

jafa39

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:35 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 49):
I think it's very natural to fear that which you don't understand.....

Why, why, why do people keep trawling up this BS...you can understand gays completely and still not like them, I hate this idea that to not like something means you don't understand it......I am a youth worker, the more i understand young people, the less i like them, and oddly enough that makes me more effective in my job.

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 55):
Nothing scares me more than a pack of drunken women. They get all touchy..

Well next time you meet one could you just send them my way please?  Smile

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 56):

Indeed, were I worked in London you could be open about being gay but breeders were not allowed to mention their heterosexuality for fear of disciplinary action.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 57):
Well, it had to come up sometime...what about all the straights who do the same on the streets...that bugs me too. Geez breeders...get a room I don't want to see that nasty stuff...

Think about what you are asking.....you are saying, go back into the closet rather then live your life.

Oh I agree, only dogs should mate in public..... Wink But you can't be anti hetero displays of affection and supportive of gay displays of affection because that is discrimination.

I think you are missing the point the here, imagine a "straight pride" rally and see how you would feel about that...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 70):
Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):

I believe homosexuality is wrong

Quoting ATCT (Reply 60):
and I do not believe in discrimination.

Actually they needn't be, you can think that homosexuality is wrong but be mature enough not to discriminate, its the difference between internal dialogue and external acts....the pro-gay PC lobby wants to control people's internal dialogue and that is just wrong.

NWA742

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:44 pm

NWA742 implies that it's OK to disagree with the 'gay lifestyle' as he calls it

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 14):
Ok well, forget the "lifestyle" then. Concept, idea, whatever word suits you. That's beyond the point anyway.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 15):
I guess "lifestyle" was the wrong word to use........by lifestyle I simply mean't the concept of being sexuality active with the same sex, nothing more.

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 14):
My point is that ignorance or lack of support or understanding of an idea, lifestyle, or concept, doesn't equal phobia - it's more a matter of ignorance or simply being anti-something.

And before you carry on with more personal attacks such as those that I'm about to respond to in this post, let me clarify that I'm not talking about myself here.....

777236ER proves that he lacks the ability to read.

-NWA742

N1120A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 73):
the pro-gay PC lobby wants to control people's internal dialogue and that is just wrong.

It is not about controlling an internal dialog, rather about those views being spread into society and causing discrimination to happen.

Actually they needn't be, you can think that homosexuality is wrong but be mature enough not to discriminate

Not really. While an individual person may well do that, they end up spreading the view into society, which then leads to the consequence of discrimination.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:50 pm

This is a stupid point, but Homosexuality exists in other species in the Animal Kingdom.  Silly

vikkyvik

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 70):

Really? I don't see them as mutually exclusive at all.

There can be a huge difference between a person's thoughts and their actions.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 38):
I'm usually intrigued and curious, not uncomfortable.

Ok...but that's not the case for everyone.

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 41):
But then that would validate any phobia for simply never having been exposed to something new. We experience new, different, and sometimes interesting things all day. If you'd only been served vanilla ice cream as a child, would you be phobic of strawberry when you first saw it, or say "that looks different, I'll try that"?

I'll take that to the other extreme. If you were suddenly planted in a forest full of hungry tigers, would you think "hmm, this is different - I've never experienced this before", or would you be uncomfortable (and terrified)?

Point being, there's nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable around new and different things. Many people tend to be like that (myself included, a lot of the time). What you do about it is a whole different story.

bwest

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 19):

Great post, thanks.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 35):
Why not just hate everyone equally?

I should charge you for copying my sig  Wink

[Edited 2007-11-06 12:57:34]

cgnnrw

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 43):
so now I am uncomfortable around men who wear socks with sandals...unless they are German in which case i kinda expect it

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

jafa39

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 75):
It is not about controlling an internal dialog, rather about those views being spread into society and causing discrimination to happen.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 75):
Not really. While an individual person may well do that, they end up spreading the view into society, which then leads to the consequence of discrimination.

Wow! Some really badly-thought out assumptions and generalisations being made here and this is because....

Quoting Vikkyvik (Reply 77):

Vik....you are spot on there and you have hit the nail right on the head.....striaght people uncomfortable about being near gays is supposed to bad?...and yet....gay people thinking anyone who doesn't like them is going to spread hatred and discrimination is an acceptable statement????

I don't think so...how about we lay off the paranoia and anti straight propoganda right here and now, look back through this thread and realise just how similar the arguements are from both sides but if you look really deeply and with an open mind I think you'll find rational debate is stacked up just a little deeper in the breeders corner.

Let's all agree to differ and lock this thread......

777236ER

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting NWA742 (Reply 74):

777236ER proves that he lacks the ability to read.

Nothing I said was wrong. Maybe you need to learn the skill of reading thoroughly

Doona

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:21 pm

I think you are missing the point the here, imagine a "straight pride" rally and see how you would feel about that...

I wouldn't mind, but the whole affair is bound to be very, very boring.  duck 

Cheers
Mats

EWRCabincrew

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:23 pm

82 posts and the original poster has yet to respond, acknowledge or get back with us.

In the mean time, a lot of hot air blown (pun intended, too).

NWA742

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 81):
Nothing I said was wrong.

Ok.......

NWA742 implies that it's OK to disagree

I didn't imply that it was okay to disagree with anything. I was merely pointing out what I see as the common misuse of a word. Wrong.

And really, I don't need to imply that notion - it IS okay for someone to be uncomfortable around something that is "not their cup of tea," so to speak. Expecting people to confirm to your views simply because you can toss around commonly misused yet insulting words is not only idiotic, but it eally puts you below their level - after all, who exactly is the intolerant one? Think about it, if you can.

'gay lifestyle' as he calls it.

"Gay lifestyle" as I called it was clarified as a poor use of a word, and was corrected 2 times and yet once more for you in reply 74. Wrong.

It's OK in the same way as it is to disagree with the 'black lifestyle'.

And speaking of words that are often misused.........here we are at "racist". Not surprising, at all - really only individuals with your way of thinking would pull the race card here.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 81):
Maybe you need to learn the skill of reading thoroughly

Of course in your book, "reading thoroughly" really means tossing words into peoples' mouth, and telling them what they mean and what they think as if you know it better than them.

Keep it up, it really helps your credibility................oh wait......way too late for that one.

-NWA742

777236ER

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:41 pm

OK, let me ask a simple question then. Do you think there's anything wrong with being gay, being attracted to your own sex or having sex with the same gender?

Yes or no will do.

NWA742

Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 85):
OK, let me ask a simple question then. Do you think there's anything wrong with being gay, being attracted to your own sex or having sex with the same gender?

Yes or no will do.

Anything?

Yes.

-NWA742

ajd1992

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:22 pm

One word question:

Why?

Well, i think being attracted to the opposite gender is wrong (how ludicrous does that sound?!?)

Ok...I'm not straight, bi, or gay but it doesn't matter. It doesn't affect you, so why let it bother you?

[Edited 2007-11-06 14:24:06]

JGPH1A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 43):
......so now I am uncomfortable around men who wear socks with sandals...unless they are German in which case i kinda expect it

Oooh careful - naughty racism ! Joni will get you - and your little dog too, EEhehehehee !!  Smile

N1120A

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 80):

Wow! Some really badly-thought out assumptions and generalisations being made here and this is because....

There is nothing poorly thought out there at all, nor a generalization. I agreed that thought alone isn't something we can or should have a say in, other than perhaps expressing an opinion that such thoughts are morally bankrupt. The issue becomes whether people can disassociate thought with action, which is neigh impossible in this case. It is not so much an issue as to whether the person holding such thoughts will directly discriminate, rather that their views will spread into society through other means, and then cause such discrimination to happen anyway.

I agree. The issue arises when such thoughts then turn into actions.

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 80):
anti straight propoganda right here and now

The what?

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:59 pm

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 87):
Ok...I'm not straight, bi, or gay but it doesn't matter

being a Priest is also considered straight  duck 

jafa39

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 89):
are morally bankrupt.

Says who??? Some people claim gays are morally bankrupt...how do you decide which is right?

which is neigh impossible in this case

Why? And why in this case? Are you trying to portray gay people as victims?

rather that their views will spread into society through other means, and then cause such discrimination to happen anyway.

How exactly...by psychic osmosis? some people could therefore claim that gay people, although keeping their thoughts to themselves could spread gayness throughout society (already happened on a.net  Smile ) by psychic osmosis.

How, if you keep your views to yourself, can they "spread through society by other means"?? and I want a straight answer if you'll excuse the pun......  Wink

Braybuddy

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 pm

I have homophobia and am not proud of it

A refreshingly honest and upfront admission.

It's not that I think that gays are morally repugnant but I just feel uncomfortable anytime I am around a gay

Have you ever tried to figure out WHY? Is it because you're afraid they'll make a pass at you and you won't know how to deal with it? Are you thinking of what they might get up to behind closed doors? There must be a reason, however valid it may be, to make you feel uncomfortable.

jafa39

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 92):
Have you ever tried to figure out WHY?

Hey Bray....if his answer to the above was "Because the things they do to each other disgust me" or "I just feel sick to think of two men kissing and rubbing" what would your reaction be? I ask this of you as for an a.netter (of any sexual persuasion) you seem to be pretty down to earth about things.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 93):
"Because the things they do to each other disgust me" or "I just feel sick to think of two men kissing and rubbing"

what would your reaction be?

Jumping in here, my reaction would be that you are allowed to feel that way. Just as some gay people find the thought of heteros kissing or the things they do are disgusting, too.

But that shouldn't be the basis for feeling uncomfortable (eventhough it is). If what they do disgusts you or you feel sick, why think about it in the first place? Maybe spending less time on what is done behind closed doors (and something you wouldn't do) and more time on finding out more about the person, you would feel more comfortable.

I have a lot of heterosexual friends and I definitely do not worry about what it is they do with each other sexually, nor do I worry about them kissing. I, do, however, find more tangent things to enjoy about them. The reason they are friends or family to me to start.

AeroWesty

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:38 am

I'll take that to the other extreme. If you were suddenly planted in a forest full of hungry tigers, would you think "hmm, this is different - I've never experienced this before", or would you be uncomfortable (and terrified)?

My innate fight or flight instinct would most likely kick in, and seeing a band of hungry tigers, I'd probably flee if I was unarmed. But I don't believe your analogy is correct, since gay people aren't lurking around every dark corner waiting to attack you. You probably walk past hundreds every day without even realizing it.

if his answer to the above was "Because the things they do to each other disgust me" or "I just feel sick to think of two men kissing and rubbing" what would your reaction be?

::hobble over EWR to answer as well::

I wouldn't even try to change his mind. I'd simply continue to be myself, and hope that someday he'd see that I'm no threat to him as a person or to his lifestyle. As I said before, I'd like those who feel this way to be upfront about it so I know what I'm dealing with, then let me go on my way. If he acts to limit my ability to do these things which disgust him, that's a horse of a different color.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:57 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 95):
since gay people aren't lurking around every dark corner waiting to attack you. You probably walk past hundreds every day without even realizing it.

rotfl , I'm trying to imagine that  scratchchin 

I dont see why anyone has to be homophobic, being afraid of Homosexuals, it is an irrational fear. I think if you wish you can disapprove of it, but it would be wrong to preach hatred and intolerance toward them and acting in a different manner because of that inherent prejudice.

jafa39

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 94):
Just as some gay people find the thought of heteros kissing or the things they do are disgusting, too.

!!!!!!!!!! Never thought about THAT angle!

since gay people aren't lurking around every dark corner waiting to attack you.

???

I wouldn't even try to change his mind. I'd simply continue to be myself, and hope that someday he'd see that I'm no threat to him as a person or to his lifestyle. As I said before, I'd like those who feel this way to be upfront about it so I know what I'm dealing with, then let me go on my way. If he acts to limit my ability to do these things which disgust him, that's a horse of a different color.

I knew I could rely on you for a sensible answer (the free leg-humping voucher can be download from the ITDC site)  Wink

AeroWesty

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 97):
(the free leg-humping voucher can be download from the ITDC site)

Oooh! Oooh! I'll let Buzz know he may put the checkbook away.  Wink

N1120A

Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:04 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 91):
Some people claim gays are morally bankrupt...how do you decide which is right?

Well, if one values equality in society, then it is obvious what is right.

Why? And why in this case? Are you trying to portray gay people as victims?

Um, gay people are victims.

How exactly...by psychic osmosis?

No, by teaching future generations such thought.

How, if you keep your views to yourself, can they "spread through society by other means"?? and I want a straight answer if you'll excuse the pun......

They teach their kids, they spread their opinions, society gets permeated and discrimination happens.