Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rootsair

RE: Places That Disappointed You

Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:56 pm

If there is one city in the world I was very disappointed with to the exent it would have been better not to go is.. New york City ..just didn't see what was so great about it !

Rome: What a unfriendly city...not one street only for pedestrians...yes only in Vatican...but wait oops. Vatican is a separate country .honestly even in small roads you have the impression cars will run over you
Very expensive small cramped ugly hotel rooms with no wall to separate showers and toilets....honestly since this city has the vatican next to it and all those historical monuments they need to do no effort to get tourists... and the Itlaian restaurants are really bad there. I've eaten better Italian food in Switzerland... I hate rome

[Edited 2007-11-11 15:02:19]
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

lobster

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 45):
Madison, Wisconsin

Oh man, I forgot about that place! I was there for Halloween about 6 years ago and got to experience the whole State St thing. Took an hour to get a drink, too crowded, too many stupid people, too many one way streets, and I HATE the Badgers!!

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 50):
If there is one city in the world I was very disappointed with to the exent it would have been better not to go is.. New york City ..just didn't see what was so great about it !

I can see what you mean there. It's great to look at all the major attractions, but beyond that it was nothing special.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 49):
that describes India. The smell in most places in atrocious but the food is cheap, and delicious and there are a lot of interesting sights. One cant go to another "different" country and expect the same conviniencies and same environment.

I'd like to go there one day, so thanks for the warning!  bigthumbsup 

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DC10extender

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:14 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 46):
Redlands, CA

Stupid me, I thought you were referring to the great Midwest.

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 46):
probably one of the top 5 natural wonders in the US, I guess you dont find Natural interesting?

No, I love natural. I just think staring at a large pit for 5 days straight is a little much.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

aerlingus747

Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:17 pm

Bristol, not a lot to do and at night the place is deserted.

Dakar

Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:03 am

Hey, what's wrong with DEN? Nah, I guess I don't like it that much either, but it is home. I prefer the mountains but
the city is ok. I actually live to the SE in Parker. If I could find a decent job in the mountains I would be back there!

Nick

Boeing744

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:44 am

Barcelona: I just didn't see what was that great about it! It was quite dirty, even though I was staying right in the tourist areas. I spent a whole week in Catalonia, and wasn't too impressed at all... However, I didn't do any clubbing there, which I have heard over and over again is amazing.

Salzburg: I've been there two or three times now. It's pretty and quaint, yes, but it's BORING!!! Mozart's birthplace is just an old yellow house... Woohoo...

London, Ontario: I went there for the first time last year to visit family. Everyone said that London is a really nice city, but I found it ugly and dull. With the exception of the University the downtown is horrid. There are some nice new suburbs however. I didn't find the people to be especially friendly either (by Canadian standards).

Stratford-upon-Avon: Exact same reasons as Salzburg, except with Shakespeare's birthplace.

Those are the ones that immediately come to mind. To respond to some of the posters above, Vienna and Rome are some of my FAVORITE cities in the world! They are polar opposites, but I love them for different reasons. Vienna is beautiful and so clean and orderly, yet at the same time quite relaxed. Rome is also beautiful, but just never stops moving! Both places I would definitely return to (and I actually would love to live in Vienna).

modernArt

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:54 am

Parts of the Spanish Costa del Sol - near Malaga...overbuilt as far as the eye can see. Bad traffic, noisy, polluted

767Lover

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 7):
Everyone raved about how great Atlanta Underground was. It's just a shopping mall that just so happens to be underground.

Jesus, no wonder you were disappointed. Underground Atlanta, for lack of a better word, sucks.

Then again, I was with some rather boring relatives as this was back in 1992. Perhaps if I visit again and met up with some infamous A.neters in the Atlanta area, I may have a better experience. Wink

A LOT has changed since 1992. That was 15 years ago!!!

Quoting AA777 (Reply 26):
New York City: I have a love-hate relationship with NYC. If they cut the population by 30 percent on Manhattan... I'd love it. But the overcrowdedness and noise? Oy. The extra people have got to go....On the other hand there is so much energy and attitude that I love about New York.

Maybe the energy and attitude is there BECAUSE of the people and noise. I love it (in small doses)

Quoting N229NW (Reply 30):
Seattle: expected too much perhaps,

I liked Seattle fine, but I didn't see why people rave about it.

Why are so many people saying Paris? Even if it's not your favorite city in the world, it can't be THAT disappointing...

....unless you mean Paris, Texas?

AeroWesty

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:07 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 32):
Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 2):
Vienna.

Are you kidding, you probably dont like Waltz Music

What on earth would that have to do with it? They don't play waltzes on every corner (not that they should, either).
International Homo of Mystery

LAXspotter

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 59):
What on earth would that have to do with it?

Nothing, but was sucked about Vienna?
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AeroWesty

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 60):
but was sucked about Vienna?

I never said it sucked, the topic of this thread is about places which disappointed. The reason why Vienna disappointed me were detailed in my earlier post.
International Homo of Mystery

DC10extender

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting Dakar (Reply 55):
Hey, what's wrong with DEN?

I expected it to be a nice city but was disappointed. It is also the most polluted in America.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 47):
Macau - the first thing you see as you arrive at the ferry terminal is a huge volcano, next to a Greek/Roman civilisation which, in turn, borders a section of Venice...

I like Macau, it was fun - great shopping too, fake Lacoste for a buck ! Barguine !

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 50):
honestly since this city has the vatican next to it and all those historical monuments they need to do no effort to get tourists...

Hehe - I think they do OK for tourists. Sounds like a lot of people simply don't "get" Rome. Rome is not about the visitor, it's about Rome. Rome has been there 2500 years, and a billion people have been through there. Rome doesn't care, Rome will be Rome anyway. This is something the locals seem to understand and get a kick out of.

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 56):
Stratford-upon-Avon:

Tsk tsk - clearly you missed out on the famous souvenir shops, with their world-renowned hand crafted artifacts like tea-towels with the Queen on, and tea-cosies in the shape of a London bus. An unrivalled cultural experience  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Molykote

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:53 am

DENVER, CO:
I find nothing remarkable about DEN. I love skiing in the Rockies and manage to enjoy some of the outlying areas of DEN but my first exposure to DEN was a strong disappointment (I felt like it was a bland downtown surround by ugly brown heath for 15 miles in every direction). The air quality sucks and you have to drive for at least an hour to get any appreciation for the mountains. In addition to my mistaken impression about the mountain environment, I was also oddly struck by the fact that most suburbs contain large/expensive houses nested very close together (with "wide open spaces" in communal/park areas). I have nothing against such parks (and in fact like them) but I found it odd that so much empty land was left unused while houses where crammed into dense clusters. It's not that I can't understand the reasons for such planning but wasn't close to my expectations (in an unpleasantly surprising way).

LOS ANGELES, CA:
My first arrival in LA was disappointing. I remember arriving in the early evening and seeing a disgusting smog covered city (probably not helped by the oblique angle of the sun near dusk).

SEATTLE, WA:
Seattle was disappointing in some ways. Like other cities here, I don't hate Seattle but (after giving it more than a fair chance over several visits) I didn't fall in love with it as so many seem to have done.

DERBY, UK:
This wasn't an altogether dismal city but during a 2 week business trip I couldn't find much to occupy my time. Even with the freedom of an expense report I couldn't find any remarkable restaurants and the pubs were always empty. Perhaps weekends are a different story but I spent the weekend spanning my business weeks in Bristol/Bath catching up with some friends.

Quoting Thepilot (Reply 15):
For me, that place was Rome, Italy.

It was the dirtiest place in Europe I visited, I literally feared for my life every time I stepped into a crosswalk or rode on public transportation. The sidewalks aren't even safe, as I got clipped by a scooter on the fricking sidewalk! I was on crutches for three days, in Europe! Every single individual I saw smoked heavily, and I got pneumonia a few days later. Oh, yeah, and then there was CIA. The guards pointed a loaded gun in my chest when I couldn't find my passport in two seconds. Then there was only one bus every hour, and we had to fight others just to get on the bus. Not to mention every single place was filled to the brim with lines and people trying to sell you stuff. For a city with such a rich history and a national icon, I was amazed at what a dump it was. Definitely do not want to go back.

I visited in January in order to avoid exactly the problems you encountered and enjoyed my trip greatly. I (with my girlfriend) was perfectly content to just wander the city for several hours per day. I'm sure my off season visit reduced the cost substantially and I'd prefer to see the city without the tour crowds, heat, and congestion of summer anyway.
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

ZakHH

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:39 am

I agree to what was said about Venice / Italy and L.A. earlier in this thread. However, both places were kind of what I expected, so I would not say I was disappointed. They met my low expectations.  Wink

I was a bit disappointed of San Francisco. Which does not mean I did not like it at all. But I heard so much about the special "spirit" of the city, so my expectations were quite high. In the end, I found the city rather average, with many famous spots having more or less turned into tourist traps. I should add that I was there in 1995.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

ACDC8

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:27 am

No place has really disappointed me. Why should it?
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

md90fan

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 am

Miami-Aside from a small area along the beach where wealthy millionaires bask in the sun inside their guarded mansions with their shiny new Ferrari's, etc and where lots of tourists get wasted along South Beach, Miami is a tropical squalor. Your a second-class citizen if you don't speak a Cuban dialect of Spanish, and it has some really disgusting neighborhoods (Liberty City, Carol City, Little Haiti, etc) ,I felt like I was in a true Banana Republic.
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

opso1

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:03 am

Paris, Texas- I spent ages trying to find the Eifel tower... ...it had moved to Las Vegas by the time I'd got there.

sk601

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 am

My list:

- Philadelphia
- Atlantic City (it's kind of OK if you haven't been to Vegas yet)
- Houston
- Dallas
- North Platte
- Tijana
- Venice, Italy. Dirty.
- Edmonton
- Luik/Liege
- Basel
- 's-Gravenhage/The Hague

ltbewr

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:10 am

I would agree with Florida being most disappointing. I haven't been there since the early 1990's. I find most of it to be flat and boring. Disney World is too commercial, the beaches all look the same and it is a tourist trap in too many areas. Add to that too many old people around and no real culture. There are some nice areas, but overall not someplace I want to go back to again.
The Los Angeles area is also a disappointing area as well. I haven't been there since the early 1990's either. As others noted, too much traffic, too much smog, too much crime, too much either rich or poor and no middle class areas. Not enough culture for me either.

cornish

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:15 am

Well as ever with these threads, what one person loves another hates. Of those cities some people were disappointed with, I have to say I love New York, Vienna and Venice in particular.

But for me, doubtless many will disagree but the cities that easily disappointed me the most were Seattle and Montreal. Seattle just seemed drab and boring after having spent most of my holiday in Vancouver (one of the cities I like most of all). Montreal I used to go to a lot for work and have just never liked it. Problem is I tended to go in winter and when it is snowing even in April and the city looks grey, it is no fun at all.

I was also disappointed with Delhi - ultimately I found it boring which i didn't expect for an Indian city (although I was there for work rather than a tourist). Mumbai on the other hand had an atmosphere that was electric for the short time I was there.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Toast

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:04 pm

I've been to quite a few shitty places, but as I always do my homework before going anywhere, I'm never surprised when cities I fully expect to be unpleasant/boring/dirty turn out to be so indeed. As yet, only one place on Earth turned out to be much, much worse than I'd expected, and that place is Amsterdam. I've been there several times in different seasons to help it redeem itself, but sorry, my final verdict is that Amsterdam sucks tremendously despite all the hype that surrounds it. Schiphol is the closest I'll ever want to get to Amsterdam again.
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 72):
my final verdict is that Amsterdam sucks tremendously

I like AMS - I lived there for a year, it's a fun place, very liveable.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

baroque

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 16):
One place that did disappoint was Bondi Beach. It is a tiny little cove with no waves to speak of, I had imagined this huge surfers' paradise.

If you think that is small, try Bronte or Clovelly. But they all have huge surf waves when the swells come thundering in. If you wanted a longer beach you should have tried Windang south of Wollongong - Pt Kembla to Windang is about 5 kms.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 21):
I love experiencing new cultures, and will usually knock some fun out of most places I visit, but by far the two worst places I've come across are Monaco and Singapore.

Don't know about Monaco and if I thought it was awful I would not dare say so in case MadameConcord attacks me with a hat pin.

Singapore is full of shops if you go into the shoppy areas. If you have a local to show you around, it is still quite diversified although not as colourful as in 1969.

Basically, you have the right idea Bb, if you don't like a place either you had a problem, or you have not tried, there is always something interesting. Mind it helps being a geologist, there is always local geology - yes even in the middle of a sand desert!

mhodgson

Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting Molykote (Reply 64):
DERBY, UK:

Hang on, this is supposed to be about places that disappoint you. I find it hard to believe that anyone could build Derby up to be somewhere you'd want to visit!

Never in my life have I heard someone say 'Oh, you must go to Derby' or, 'We spent a wonderful weekend in Derby'.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

Tom in NO

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:24 pm

The Grand Canyon area in general

As I tell my kids whenever they don't want something tasty we're eating..."that leaves more for the rest of us".....I'm guessing the GC will have one less person gazing over it's incredible cliffs, viewing the scenic rock formations, seeing the Colorado River flowing far below, and hiking its trails the next we visit  wink 

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
a quality flight school...

Where?!  wink   duck 

Tom at MSY (ERAU class of '82)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Molykote

Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:33 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 75):
Hang on, this is supposed to be about places that disappoint you. I find it hard to believe that anyone could build Derby up to be somewhere you'd want to visit!

Never in my life have I heard someone say 'Oh, you must go to Derby' or, 'We spent a wonderful weekend in Derby'.

Good point. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting going into the trip.

At least the Bass Ale tasted better than it does stateside (richer and less sweet).
Speedtape - The aspirin of aviation!

seb146

Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:22 pm

I took my mom to the Oregon Coast one time. She went on and on about Mo's and how they have the best chowder. On and on about the damn chowder at Mo's. We stopped at the largest Sitka Spruce (it's a tree, for cryin' out loud!) and on to Cannon Beach for this "wonderful chowder." It sucked. I have gotten better chowder out of a can!

Salt Lake City is always a disapointment. I finally got to touch the Great Salt Lake. Let me assure you, that will NEVER happen again! I left thinking "That's it?"

Seattle has all the charm of a morgue. I lived there for two years and the only time things ever got lively was during WTO and a little at Christmas. Oh, excuse me.... Winterfest....

I went through North Dakota on the train once. I knew there would be nothing there. I just didn't know how much of nothing there would be! I guess it is a good thing North Dakota belongs to us, because who would want it?

What's wrong with DEN? I have been there several times. Once was on UA from MCI-DEN-SFO and thought the airport was nice. I remember Stapleton and it was really fun! I wandered around downtown a few times and it was pleasent. Maybe it was because of the autumn, but the view of the mountains was nice and the core downtown area was very well maintaned. I didn't like the bus ride to Arvada. The neighborhoods I saw were bland, but, overall, DEN was very pleasent for me.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

2H4

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:39 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 76):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
a quality flight school...

Where?! wink duck

Tom at MSY (ERAU class of '82)

Why, Northern Sky Aviation at the Mandan Municipal Airport, of course!  Wink

2H4 (WMU alum)
Intentionally Left Blank

Springbok747

Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Overpriced?????? Overrated....? I think that the Pyramids alone at sunset are worth the trip.

Sure its overpriced...its a toursit trap, and those locals sure know how to extract $$$ out of suckers like me. And yes, it is overrated...after seeing the Pyramids and the Sphinx, I was like..."thats it?!" It wasn't as spectacular as I thought it would be, but then again maybe my expectations were too high. But thats the way I feel anyway...glad you liked it though.
אני תומך בישראל

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting Springbok747 (Reply 80):
after seeing the Pyramids and the Sphinx, I was like..."thats it?!"

What were you hoping for from a building that for 3000 years (3000 - count 'em) up until 100 years ago was the tallest man-made structure on the planet ? Built essentially by hand. That's got to be worth at least one Kodak moment.

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 81):
What were you hoping for from a building that for 3000 years (3000 - count 'em) up until 100 years ago was the tallest man-made structure on the planet ? Built essentially by hand. That's got to be worth at least one Kodak moment.

Oh I'm so tempted to post a certain picture  Wink
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

LH423

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:09 pm

The extra people have got to go....On the other hand there is so much energy and attitude that I love about New York.

checkmark  It's the people and attitude that make the city. It's also what makes me happy to leave after a couple of days. Love NY to visit, could and would never live there unless I had to.

For me the number one disappointment was Prague. Sure, it's a beautiful city but I felt like I was imposing on the people for visiting their city (I even had a waitress outright roll her eyes when my friend and I asked for some more bread). I also felt like I was getting ripped off everywhere. Yes, it's expected that prices will rise but I had always heard how inexpensive Prague was. Appparently I must have gone to the wrong one. Most restaurants it was 20 CZK just to sit down at most restaurants. Sure, that's not a lot but it's the principle. I went to Kraków, Poland after. Loved it!

Cape Town. I wasn't sure what to expect but I just found that at night it became a ghost town except around the Waterfront and de Waterkant. Maybe I was just in the wrong parts of town but I just figured there would be more nightlife and people out, especially for a city that has tourists from around the world visiting. But otherwise, gorgeous city. I highly recommend it.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

PIA777

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:23 pm

San Fransisco. I just think the roads are very confusing.

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

gunsontheroof

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 3):
Needles, California

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 3):
Klamath Falls

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
North Dakota

Sounds like a few of us didn't do their homework. Just what were you expecting?

Everyone raved about how great Atlanta Underground was. It's just a shopping mall that just so happens to be underground.

I totally forgot about the Atlanta Underground (surprised?). Lame. Aside from that, I actually enjoyed Atlanta...

I can honestly say that I've never been disappointed by any place I've visited. I learn what I can about wherever I'm going, and as a result, my expectations are generally met or exceeded. That said, I'm sure that will change with more travel over the years...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

Mortyman

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:29 pm

New York

The city is fantastic and exciting. I love the skyscrapers and the fact that it never sleaps. I have been there 3 times now, and I hope to go back. I will never get tired of it.

HOWEVER

They are serious about tipping in that city. The word service is non existent. Yet they expect 15 - 20 % no matter if you are happy with the service or not. If you pay anything less, you basically get " trown out on the street "....

2H4

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 85):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
North Dakota

Sounds like a few of us didn't do their homework. Just what were you expecting?

Well, I went to ND with no expectations about how interesting it is (I had other things to concentrate on), and still came away impressed at how boring and desolate it is. Surrounding states (northern MN, South Dakota) seemed to consist of a lot more than a giant field of dirt.  Smile

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Chi-town

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Dallas/Ft. Worth

I was expecting more my first time in Texas. Everyone drives F150's.

The Ft. Worth Stockyards?? It was more of an amusement park.

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 88):
Dallas/Ft. Worth

Good restaurants though.

lobster

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 84):
San Fransisco. I just think the roads are very confusing.

I remember driving on Market St and trying to figure out what lane I was in. Was it bus? Tram? Bike? All the above? San Fran was BY FAR the worst place I've ever drove.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 6):
North Dakota.

Ever been to South Dakota?

JGPH1A

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 90):
Ever been to South Dakota?

South Dakota's pretty - the bit around Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument is, anyway. Forests by Disney  Smile

lobster

Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 91):
the bit around Mt. Rushmore and the Crazy Horse monument is, anyway

Yup, unfortunately it's the drive from where I am to get there thats SO boring. At least they upped their speed limit some to help get through the monotony of hours of straight cornfield highway.

ABQ747

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 34):
New Orleans is that place for me. I was rather bored when I was there.

New Orleans is OK. The French Quarter is filthy and the streets smell like urine, but there are some nice areas. I really liked the swamp tour I took. I even got to hold a baby alligator.  Smile

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 78):
Salt Lake City is always a disapointment.

I went to Salt Lake City twice over the summer, and I really liked it. The Gateway and Trolley Square are nice.

Quoting Chi-town (Reply 88):
Dallas/Ft. Worth

I was expecting more my first time in Texas. Everyone drives F150's.

Texans drive F-150's because they are smart. They only drive the best. Big grin

Another city that is really disappointing is El Paso, Texas. That city is filthy and disgusting, and there is nothing to do.

Dakar

Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:16 am

DC10extender, hmmm, Denver is not even in the top 25 of most polluted cities whether particulates or smog...

http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

Edit, not even in the top 26. Six of the first eight most smog polluted cities are in Komifornia!

Nick

[Edited 2007-11-12 16:19:15]

AA777

Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 39):
rotfl you have to be kidding me.

I'm very serious.... In Chicago, it feels like there are three groups. White People, Black People, and Eastern Europeans...and they are all seemingly separated into different areas of the city.....It may be diverse compared to a lot of American Cities... but its not diverse like DC, NYC or even LA.

-AA777

[Edited 2007-11-12 19:54:38]

skywatch

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 66):

I agree. Everyone mentioning dirty, crowded, polluted cities have very valid points, but I have learned to expect all of this when I am travelling. In fact, I appreciate some of the disorder and filth because it takes me out of my sterile suburban mindset and thrusts me into a new place that feels out of the ordinary. I expected to see unbelievable poverty when I was in Haiti, and that's what I saw. However, I still look back on my trip as a good experience, because it opened my eyes to issues outside of my four walls. When I went to India, I didn't really know what to expect. Sure, the place stinks, there's crap and trash everywhere, and the trafic and overcrowding is horrible, but India has become my favorite place that I have visited thus far. The incredible culture shock I received upon arrival only made me fall more in love with that country. So, that being said, the only places I don't care for at all are San Antonio and Houston. But once again, that's because when I'm in those cities, I'm in my "this is America" mindset. Most of San Antonio is ugly...and Houston is even uglier. Maybe I'm just spoilrd because I live in Austin! Big grin

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

skywatch

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 66):

I agree. Everyone mentioning dirty, crowded, polluted cities have very valid points, but I have learned to expect all of this when I am travelling. In fact, I appreciate some of the disorder and filth because it takes me out of my sterile suburban mindset and thrusts me into a new place that feels out of the ordinary. I expected to see unbelievable poverty when I was in Haiti, and that's what I saw. However, I still look back on my trip as a good experience, because it opened my eyes to issues outside of my four walls. When I went to India, I didn't really know what to expect. Sure, the place stinks, there's crap and trash everywhere, and the trafic and overcrowding is horrible, but India has become my favorite place that I have visited thus far. The incredible culture shock I received upon arrival only made me fall more in love with that country. So, that being said, the only places I don't care for at all are San Antonio and Houston. But once again, that's because when I'm in those cities, I'm in my "this is America" mindset. Most of San Antonio is ugly...and Houston is even uglier. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I live in Austin! Big grin

---Skywatch
------Forever Watchin' The Sky------

rwsea

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:27 am

OK here's my list:

Brussels - One of the seediest and dirtiest cities I've been to in Europe. The Grand Place was pretty, but the whole area surrounding it just seemed like a fake tourist trap. Nothing about the area seemed genuine, and the rest of the city seemed boring.

Atlanta - I've been there a few times and tried to have a good time, but it's really just a boring city without much to do. The one true gem used to be Stone Mountain Park when it was a park instead of a silly tourist trap (complete with a cheesy village that is more reminiscent of disneyland).

New York - There's just something about it that I can't quite pinpoint. Dirty everywhere and way too crowded. Didn't seem to have much personality overall. Just lots of concrete and big buildings.

And finally, Seattle! I've lived here a few years now and I can't wait to leave. This is probably the most provincial and backwards "major" city in the country. The whole city has a rundown feel with aging and crumbling infrastructure. Downtown is infested with homeless people and gangbangers and no one seems to have the will to fix it. There's no public transit to speak of and the traffic is ridiculous. People here carry on this false belief that it's the epitome of environmentalism but in reality no different than any other city. Quite a seedy city with lots of litter and shady characters. Not a friendly city by any stretch of the imagination. People fight any sort of change because they don't want Seattle to become "like LA", but in reality it's worse. Speaking of which, the weather sucks too!

scottieprecord

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:35 am

Quoting AviationMaster (Reply 29):
I remeber the River Walk, seemed like a fun place. I guess I'll have to pay San Antonio another visit once I turn 21 Big grin

Lol you can't really have a fair judgment of San Antonio if you didn't go to the Riverwalk. SA is really a great town in my opinion. But hey, I grew up there =) Go spurs!

On the other hand...

Houston
Madison, WI
Nassau, Bahamas (the actual city is trash)
and I'll have to throw Paris in there. But I had some high expectations for it.

-Mike