Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptOveur

RE: Driving While Latin, Floridas' Newest Crime!

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:30 pm

I know this is totally out of the realm of possibilities.. However, what do you think the chances are your friend, or one of his friends had cocaine in the car at some point?

Also, was the car bought used? Who knows what the previous owner did.

I am not seeing how this is a race issue. The dog alerted on something so the police have to check it out. Some of the other stuff sounds a bit outside the lines though.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

luisca
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 50):
I know this is totally out of the realm of possibilities.. However, what do you think the chances are your friend, or one of his friends had cocaine in the car at some point?

No, they have been my friends for a very very long time, I even have acces to their apartment, I have never ever seen them do coke.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 50):
Also, was the car bought used? Who knows what the previous owner did.

It was new. The only thing I can figure out is that there was food in the car, a dog is still an animal at the end of the day.
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 51):
It was new. The only thing I can figure out is that there was food in the car, a dog is still an animal at the end of the day.

a police dog is a highly trained animal not likely to break its training over a snack.

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:34 pm

I see LOT7678306830892098234908ER has chimed in with his anti-law enforcement bullshit as expected.

Glad you could join in - I was wondering what happened to you - thought perhaps you'd been jailed for something . . .

Quoting Luisca (Reply 51):
The only thing I can figure out is that there was food in the car, a dog is still an animal at the end of the day.

sarcastic 

The more you post on this subject, the more it's completely evident you know nothing of Police Dogs . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 46):
Or you can start pulling people over who yack on cell phones or slow down traffic on the left lane. Driving 80mph in a 65 zone in the middle of a field is about as big of a danger as I am Donald Duck.

make it against the law. The cops you hate so much can't write a ticket for something that isn't against the law. Also, if the law is weak, confusing, or more trouble than it is worth they aren't going to mess with it.

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 43):
I had a K9 bark at me in immigration (Agriculture) in Boston, they ripped apart my bag and found a paper wrapper from Polish sausage that I used to secure in a glass platter for my mother. Dog smelled sausage, wonderful.

So a police dog, at an agricultural checkpoint detected evidence of food you might have been bringing into the country. Sounds like everything worked correctly.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 48):
Never did I say the US was corrupt, in fact the reason my family emigrated to the US in the first place was that I was born in a Police dictatorship

But yet you say this in the thread starter. Okay.  sarcastic 

Quoting Luisca (Thread starter):
cops in the US have too much power and this country is turning into a dictatorship no better than Venezuela or China. When did freedom and private property become expendable rights in the war against terrorism?

Now when I think of police states, I certainly think of abuse of power and corruption.

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 35):
No those questions are not fair and should not be asked unless they find something

Um, according to the OP, the dog smelled cocaine, so there was probable cause to beleive the guy was transporting drugs and thus the questions are just given the circumstances. .
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

LH423

Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Of course if your friend had nothing to hide than he would let the cop go ahead and search the car.

Because the US Constitution wasn't written "No Illegal Search and Seizure...unless you have nothing to hide". Sorry, but if you want to search my vehicle or person with no probable cause, get a warrant. Of course traffic cops can say they saw someone reaching for a weapon when it reality it might just be a water bottle.

Sorry, I have respect for cops but not those that bend the rules because they're on a power trip. And I don't think anyone can deny that there are cops out there on power trips.

I had a K9 bark at me in immigration (Agriculture) in Boston, they ripped apart my bag and found a paper wrapper from Polish sausage that I used to secure in a glass platter for my mother. Dog smelled sausage, wonderful.

Yep. That's what the Agriculture dogs do. Search for illegal food and plants, animals etc. That dog did exactly what he was supposed to do. The Customs dogs are the ones trained to search out drugs and illegal contraband.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

shadez

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:09 pm

The problem with speed limits is that they are enforced in some places and not in others. On my drive from South Florida to Daytona going 80 in a 60 in Palm Beach is no big deal, as everyone goes that speed. However doing 85 in a 70 will net you a ticket in St Lucie. I just wish cops would have common sense. What harm am I doing going 85 in a 70 if there is no one else on the road? Plus, speeds vary so much on highways that one mile I could be going 85, the next 75. In my opinion, you should not get a ticket for going 20 or less over on an open road. Of course that changes when there is busier traffic on the road. BTW air patrols on highways blow.

Maverick623

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:53 pm

as long as you close and lock the door after you leave the car the officer has no right to search the car unless he is granted permission.

Unless the dog "hits" on a scent from your car.

No those questions are not fair and should not be asked unless they find something, also the person being stopped has the right not to answer questions like that from the police

Those questions are fair and are often used to trip up suspects later. And you're right: the person stopped does not have to answer any questions like that.

Perhaps you forget that meat products are restricted entry into the US and must be declared. Whoops.

in Florida you can shoot someone freely if you think youre in danger.

Not quite.

One of the cops BS excuses was the the lights were too bright (factory)...

Perhaps he left his brights on? It happens more often than you think, and yes, it is illegal.

It seems any person that dares to question the government these days is labeled anti-american.

And any person that dares defend said government is labled a fascist, power-hungry, moronic sheep.

[Edited 2007-11-13 11:56:52]
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

LOT767-300ER

Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Yes I was waiting for about angry replies...on time as usual from the other side.

Jailed? Meh....thats not my thing.

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 54):
The cops you hate so much can't write a ticket for something that isn't against the law. Also, if the law is weak, confusing, or more trouble than it is worth they aren't going to mess with it.

I dont know about that, I got a speeding ticket once for going 4mph over the limit in Hoffman Estates.  Silly

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Quoting Shadez (Reply 57):
In my opinion, you should not get a ticket for going 20 or less over on an open road. Of course that changes when there is busier traffic on the road. BTW air patrols on highways blow.

And who defines "open road"? The driver? The cop? The state, in "so many cars per minute passing through a point on the highway?" You're just asking for trouble leaving something like that to interpretation.

PS, to make it clear, when I mean corrupt I am referring to Bush, Cheney, Rove, Scooter Libby, Abramoff, Rumsfeld, etc. All off these people

Oh Good Lord. As if your credibility wasn't already shakey. We go from talking about corrupt cops and traffic stops to talking about government workers at the national level.
A) What do they have to with this thread?
B) If you're going to play that game, why not name of any libs too?
 sarcastic 

But since you insist:

The US, the land of freedom, yet with the excuse of security we allow crimes like wire taps, arrest without warrants, Guantanamo, water boarding, patriot act, etc. We have lost so many freedoms in the last 6 years

What rights of your's have been taken away under the Patriot Act? I always hear "the Patriot Act is taking away our rights. blah blah blah" Yet they never say which rights have been taken away. I as an American citizen honestly haven't noticed a difference. Hmmm.  scratchchin 

Maverick623

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:29 pm

Or you can start pulling people over who yack on cell phones

Not illegal in most jurisdictions.

or slow down traffic on the left lane

Again, not illegal unless you're doing less than the minimum speed on a freeway, which only a handful of states have such laws.

Keep going dude. I can do this all day long.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

CaptOveur

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 59):
I dont know about that, I got a speeding ticket once for going 4mph over the limit in Hoffman Estates.

They wouldn't pull you over for bullshit unless they were looking for something else. Vehicle profiling is the only thing more common than racial profiling.

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 60):
And who defines "open road"? The driver? The cop? The state, in "so many cars per minute passing through a point on the highway?" You're just asking for trouble leaving something like that to interpretation.

The law usually isn't very specific, so it will be up to the judge when you go to court.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:38 pm

drive through PO almost daily and never ever got pulled over, yet when I drove my friend Kevin (black guy) to work with me because his car was in the shop we got pulled over 2x in 6 days during the nighttime. One of the cops BS excuses was the the lights were too bright (factory)...

rotfl  , yep happened to my African-American friendd (18yr old) got pulled over for basically driving his dad's jaguar in Westchester area of Los Angeles, apparently he was speeding 27 @ a 25 Zone, then he started asking him "how did he get that car" "what he was doing in that area".

Reasonable suspicious my white polar bear behind, in Florida you can shoot someone freely if you think youre in danger

rotfl 

Quoting Shadez (Reply 57):
The problem with speed limits is that they are enforced in some places and not in others

agreed, cops shoot me if I'm wrong but you guys (CHP) doesnt give any tickets where there on a eight-ten lane highway where all the cars are going 80MPH, unless there are cars weaving in and out of traffic erratically. However, I feel that on a "deserted" interstate say between Indio and Blythe, if one is going around 70 in a 65 the chances of getting a speeding ticket are high, generally on rural highways I dont speed, CHP is always hiding somewhere, and best of all I can save about 20% Gas going 65 instead of 85.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

AirframeAS

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 30):
...I'm obsessed with getting excellent mileage in my car

Me too, I'm totally the same way. I mainly do it to conserve as much gasoline as possible. My friends go anal when I do 70 on the freeway. They usually want me to go faster. My excuse: "If I get pulled over and get a ticket, you WILL pay for the ticket!". That shuts them up most of the time.

Quoting LH423 (Reply 56):
"No Illegal Search and Seizure...unless you have nothing to hide"

Yes, yes...the 4th amendment. Speaking of that: If a cop asks if he can search your car, even though you have nothing to hide, and you say no...what happens then? Does the cop slap the cuffs on you and waits for a warrant (Which takes a few hours, right?) and detains you? Isn't that still seizure when a cop detains you?
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

MaidensGator

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 17):
If a policemen feels he has to search my car, fine, that's his job, but there is no necessity whatsoever to become verbally abusive or threatening, as it appears they did in the case described above.

The OP's description is double hearsay....

As soon as I get there with their passports and my lawyer aunt on the cell phone they say sorry for the inconvenience and leave him a warning for speeding.

Only thing OP witnesses is the cops saying sorry....

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 10):
This is called heresay. It is more of a rant than anything.

checkmark 

Quoting Luisca (Reply 21):
humiliation of standing in the cold for 2 hours

Cold???? In MLB???? Come on....

Quoting LH423 (Reply 56):
Sorry, but if you want to search my vehicle or person with no probable cause, get a warrant.

The dog alerting is probable cause....

I get a call from a friend, he has been pulled over for speeding, he sounds worried, he tells me to go to his house and get his passport and I20 immigration form

When I showed up with his passport they magically found his DL in the system,

If your friend is in the US pursuant to a student visa, why wasn't he carrying it along with his I-94..... His lack of documentation is probably what brought on the whole thing.... And the fact he was speeding....
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:52 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 64):
I mainly do it to conserve as much gasoline as possible. My friends go anal when I do 70 on the freeway. They usually want me to go faster. My excuse: "If I get pulled over and get a ticket, you WILL pay for the ticket!". That shuts them up most of the time.

The problem is that over here in the Inland Empire,CA specially on the I-10 between LA and San Bernardino everyone drives at 80 and trying to drive 65 will get me killed. I have to drive 80  grumpy . Most of the gas that you can save comes with driving efficiently on the freeway, which save you up to 25%, but the only place where I've been able to drive efficiently is in the City, but the savings are less than 5%  Angry . Ah well, I will see what kind of Mileage I cant get when I drive from here to Phoenix, hopefully 35MPG  pray 

AirframeAS

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:00 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 66):
Ah well, I will see what kind of Mileage I cant get when I drive from here to Phoenix, hopefully 35MPG

What kind of a car do you have? I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4. And it hasn't even hit 30,000 miles........yet!  bouncy 

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 67):
I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4. And it hasn't even hit 30,000 miles........yet!

Toyota Camry 2003 V4, almost 90,000 Miles. Yep, I need fuel economy.

AirframeAS

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 68):

Get a sexy looking 2005 Toyota Corolla Sport.  yes 

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 69):
2005 Toyota Corolla Sport.

Nah, I'm looking toward a full-size Toyota Avalon, but I'm unemployed  banghead 

Back on Topic, how are the speeds in the PHX area? without too much congestion?

AirframeAS

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 70):
Back on Topic, how are the speeds in the PHX area? without too much congestion?

People here drive like they just came from California and drive recklessly going 90. I still maintain my speed of 70 anyway in the middle lane. I could care less if I got the finger from a motorist who is doing 90. The speed limit is 65 in the PHX area, outlying areas (totally OUTSIDE of PHX) are 75.

Depending on the time of day, the traffic is a total different story. There are so many accidents during the morning commute...which I am never a part of!  biggrin 

luisca
Topic Author

Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 53):
The more you post on this subject, the more it's completely evident you know nothing of Police Dogs .

No I dont know anything about them, your point?
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

Jpax

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Screw the topic, how was the stage check?

ANCFlyer

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Luisca (Reply 72):

You prattle on like your an expert on them, what should and shouldn't alert on, what happens if they do or don't alert . .

Oh, here's a news flash - a Police Dog alerting on something is instantly recognized in a Court of Law as Probable Cause . . .

My supposition is that your panties are in a wad because your friends got paid a visit by the Po-Po and you think it's all racial and the Po-Po is picking on you . . .

We live in a Police State in this US.

Law Enforcement Officers are racist and only pick on minorities - at l;east in your neck of the woods anyway.

I believe that'll sum it up nicely.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 63):

can any cop verify my logic in that reply?

viaggiare

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:05 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 74):
My supposition is that your panties are in a wad because your friends got paid a visit by the Po-Po and you think it's all racial and the Po-Po is picking on you . . .

We live in a Police State in this US.

Law Enforcement Officers are racist and only pick on minorities

rotfl  with a distinct proclivity for spoiled rich kids driving extravagant toys.
Entre el fuerte y el débil, la libertad oprime. Sólo la ley libera.

LH423

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting MaidensGator (Reply 65):
The dog alerting is probable cause....

For sure. I'm not doubting that. I was just responding to the old "if you have nothing to hide" comment someone made. Sure, it may make things easier in the end for you, sometimes the police need a little reminder that there's things like due process and that little matter of the Constitution that states he can't just go rummaging through my stuff because he has a 'hunch'.

If a cop asks if he can search your car, even though you have nothing to hide, and you say no...what happens then? Does the cop slap the cuffs on you and waits for a warrant (Which takes a few hours, right?) and detains you? Isn't that still seizure when a cop detains you?

Well, depending on the case, that warrant may never come. You can't just request a warrant if you have no cause. A judge is usually going to want some sort of argument as to why my property and/or person should be searched. Now, if the cop has some sort of suspicion that you're on something or that there are weapons in the car or anything else, they have that right. I'd also be interested knowing the process where a cop wants to search a vehicle but has no reason. Because, again, cops are human. He might again have a hunch but hunches don't always hold up legally. But, again, I don't think anyone can deny there aren't some cops who go on power trips. What defence do we have against these "bad apples" (coz that's what they are. A black spot on the generally noble profession of law enforcement)?

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Nuori5084

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:27 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 75):

agreed, cops shoot me if I'm wrong but you guys (CHP) doesnt give any tickets where there on a eight-ten lane highway where all the cars are going 80MPH, unless there are cars weaving in and out of traffic erratically. However, I feel that on a "deserted" interstate say between Indio and Blythe, if one is going around 70 in a 65 the chances of getting a speeding ticket are high, generally on rural highways I dont speed, CHP is always hiding somewhere, and best of all I can save about 20% Gas going 65 instead of 85.

What's your question here?

Don't give any tickets on eight-lane freeways? Pay more attention in the number 1 lane. Just because someone got away with it doesn't mean they won't tomorrow. In addition, if the freeways are bumper to bumper there's a good chance the surface streets are being patrolled. Why sit in traffic to the end of your beat? It's about being proactive.

CHP cant be everywhere at once and you have no idea what's going on behinds the scenes for example, radio traffic and calls for service. It's very easy for someone that has no idea about police work to judge and be critical. Do you know how far thin we are stretched across this state?

80 in a 65 MPH zone qualifies for a ticket. That's 15 over. It' also depends on the speed limit, traffic, etc. The higher the speed limit and more open the area, the faster you're going to pop people. It's the nature of the beast.

The first thing I ask in a stop is for the drivers information. I then proceed to ask them (regardless of the violation) was there any legal reason why you did such and such? The usual is, "I was just going with the flow of traffic." My answer to that is, "so if everyone drove off a cliff, would you?" Me, "sit tight, I will back."

You have a "better" chance of getting off easier owning up than digging a hole and covering yourself. My rate of letting people off are slim to none.

And if you're worth the stop, you're worth the ticket. Nine you're fine, ten you're mine!

[Edited 2007-11-13 16:27:57]

[Edited 2007-11-13 16:28:35]
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 78):
And if you're worth the stop, you're worth the ticket. Nine you're fine, ten you're mine!

thanks, that really helped, but how do you single out thousands of cars all going 80 tho?

Nuori5084

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 79):
thanks, that really helped, but how do you single out thousands of cars all going 80 tho?

No problem.

By means of radar, pacing, air unit, etc.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 80):
By means of radar, pacing, air unit, etc.

so how high is the speed where you give tickets, 1 over , 5 over?

IFEMaster

Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:53 am

The reason for this madness? my Friends are Latin and were coming back from a weekend of clubbing in Miami, driving a Mercedes, therefore they HAD TO BE drug dealers.

Pure speculation.

The rest is unfortunate, but it happened. You need to get over it. And your friend does to.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:00 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 78):
"I was just going with the flow of traffic." My answer to that is, "so if everyone drove off a cliff, would you?" Me, "sit tight, I will back."

And that qualifies you to the title of king of the stupid. There is a very good reason to go with the flow. It's obviously not legal. But it's common sense. BTW, if there is a highway stretch where everybody is speeding, that would be the sign for authorities that something is wrong with the speed limit. Bu that will never happen, municipalities are just too hungry for the revenue from speeding tickets.

PS: Ever heard of 85 percentile speed? Probably not...
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 83):
And that qualifies you to the title of king of the stupid

he doesnt care, he's a Cop  Big grin. Besides, I'd rather drive 65-70, the fuel savings are astronomical when compared to driving @85MPH.

FlyDeltaJets87

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 79):

Someone draws the short straw.  wink 

Quoting Luisca (Reply 72):

So then why do you start a post ranting about an event that started because of what the police dog did if you don't know anything about them? I mean, not that you had much credibility to begin with, but you continue to lower your credibility as this thread goes on; not improve it. I mean, from comparing America to a police state to then somehow pulling the Bush Administration into this to now stating you really have no clue about police dogs and how they operate. Why the hell should anyone on here with any sense of objectivity take what you say seriously?

"If I get pulled over and get a ticket, you WILL pay for the ticket!".

Yea, I love that line too. Some of my friends give me a hard time when I tell them I don't do above 80 mph on the highway (that's max, not average for me).

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 85):
Someone draws the short straw

damn it  grumpy  , by the grace of God it hasnt happened yet  Big grin , when it does I will post

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 85):
when I tell them I don't do above 80 mph

Its bad enough having your friends in the car driving on the Highway.

flymia

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:14 am

And that qualifies you to the title of king of the stupid. There is a very good reason to go with the flow. It's obviously not legal. But it's common sense. BTW, if there is a highway stretch where everybody is speeding, that would be the sign for authorities that something is wrong with the speed limit. Bu that will never happen, municipalities are just too hungry for the revenue from speeding tickets.

bigthumbsup   checkmark  Completely agree with that. I will always go with the flow of traffic when I am on the highway its just he safe and comon sense thing to do.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

itsjustme

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:40 am

its 1230 AM and I am sleeping because I have a stage check tomorrow for a flight course, I get a call from a friend, he has been pulled over for speeding, he sounds worried, he tells me to go to his house and get his passport and I20 immigration form and bring it to an apartment complex in Melbourne, Florida. I do so and when i get there I see 4 cop cars, a police dog and my friend seeing his 60K dollar Mercedes being ripped apart.

The reason? the dog barked! apparently the infallible K9 nose decided he was smuggling cocaine, he has been there for about 1 hour and the police "cant find his license in the system". They have both been searched from head to toes and nothing but a bag of Doritos has been found in the car. The cops take his camera and say that there are pictures of my friends with coke in it, Bullshit, they are just trying to force them to "confess". As soon as I get there with their passports and my lawyer aunt on the cell phone they say sorry for the inconvenience and leave him a warning for speeding. The car had its floorboard and side panels damaged and it is now 130 am.

All I can say is I hope it doesn't happen to you, the humiliation of standing in the cold for 2 hours while your car is being ripped apart

My educational background tells me 12:30am to 1:30am equals 1 hour, not 2. Makes me wonder what else about this supposed incident you have embellished.

yowza

Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Itsjustme (Reply 88):

My educational background tells me 12:30am to 1:30am equals 1 hour, not 2. Makes me wonder what else about this supposed incident you have embellished.

I picked up on that too but in his defense he never said that that is when it all ended.

YOWza

sovietjet

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:03 am

+1

I completely agree. Let's say you have the person going 55mph in the lane where everyone is going 80. So someone sees him, brakes suddenly because of the speed difference and causes a domino effect behind him of people "panic" braking. If not that, the person going 80 goes around the person going 55(usually at the last second because there isnt time). If you were behind the faster guy also cruising at 80, you are now all of a sudden in a situation where you have to brake real quick to avoid hitting the slower guy. This again causes a domino effect behind you, and even risks you getting rear-ended.

The situation gets worse if people are passing each other at the traffic speed of 70-80 and when passing find the slow guy going 55mph in the passing lane, causing another panic braking.

shadez

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:05 am

Yep, it's more dangerous to go slower then the rest of the traffic. Accidents happen when people are going two different speeds and don't see each other. Minimum Speed violators cause vastly more danger then those going 15-20 MPH over. And wow... if a cop ever pulled me over and gave me the jumping off the bridge line-- i would find it hard to restrain myself. I also hate cops who cruise with you at the same speed for 5-10 minutes and then give you a ticket. This happened to my mom last year. How can you honestly pull someone over for doing the same exact thing as you? I usually don't mind driving with a cop near me on the road, because I feel safe that as longer as I stay behind him/her, I don't have to worry about a ticket, and still make good time. I also hate air patrols because they don't take into account the situation. You may need to speed up 5-10 MPH to pass some one, and then bam- you get a ticket for going 15 over.

[Edited 2007-11-13 18:09:32]

Nuori5084

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:22 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 81):
so how high is the speed where you give tickets, 1 over , 5 over?

Freeway traffic vs. city traffic isn't quite enforced the same. 15+ MPH usually on freeway and 10+ usually on surface streets. It all depends.

Nuori5084

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:37 am

Wow. I'd expect to see something this mature from a kid and not someone allegedly in the "36-45" age range. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore!

Where do I begin:
It's now legal to exceed the posted speed limit, eh? I missed that one in briefing earlier. It's so obvious...silly me! So it's legal if everyone else is doing it now, regardless? You'd make a great politician.

Is that how it works in Canada? I dare you to give this attitude the next time you get stopped. Then get back to us all.

I dare you to request a speed survey on a freeway when you get caught for obeying your personal "laws

Sincerely,
King of stupid.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 92):
15+ MPH usually on freeway and 10+ usually on surface streets. It all depends.

thanks, and thats good I never go beyond those speeds anyway, I'm a conservative driver

flymia

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:11 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 93):
Where do I begin:
It's now legal to exceed the posted speed limit, eh? I missed that one in briefing earlier. It's so obvious...silly me! So it's legal if everyone else is doing it now, regardless? You'd make a great politician.

Everyone speeds that is a given fact. When I drive on the highway and see cops most of the time they are doing 75-80mph in a 55zone even though they are way out of their city limits and obviously not responding to a call. Everyone speeds and some speed limits are way to low in the US. I dont think I should get a ticket for going 72mph on a empty, dry highway at 2am where the limit is 55mph. Why? Because what I am not doing is not dangerous.
"It was just four of us on the flight deck, trying to do our job" (Captain Al Haynes)

shadez

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:13 am

Wow. I'd expect to see something this mature from a kid and not someone allegedly in the "36-45" age range. Then again, nothing surprises me anymore!

Where do I begin:

Is that how it works in Canada? I dare you to give this attitude the next time you get stopped. Then get back to us all.

I dare you to request a speed survey on a freeway when you get caught for obeying your personal "laws

Sincerely,
King of stupid.

I find my self smart enough to know how fast I should be driving. I will not put myself in a position to be harmed. I set my own speed limits based on the road, traffic, visibility, attentiveness, etc. I know how fast is too fast. That being said, I understand getting a ticket for going 87 in a 70, but I know that in actuality I did nothing wrong. And I do realize we need speed limits because idiots could get out of control. I don't expect the cop to realize my self awareness.

*trying not to sound arrogant, I’m just a big believer in common sense. If everyone had common sense there would be no need for speed limits*

shadez

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Shadez (Reply 96):
Everyone speeds that is a given fact. When I drive on the highway and see cops most of the time they are doing 75-80mph in a 55zone even though they are way out of their city limits and obviously not responding to a call. Everyone speeds and some speed limits are way to low in the US. I dont think I should get a ticket for going 72mph on a empty, dry highway at 2am where the limit is 55mph. Why? Because what I am not doing is not dangerous.

See, thats my point. I wish cops could see the difference between a safe 72 and an unsafe 72. It all depends of the surrounding elements.

WildcatYXU

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:37 am

'd expect to see something this mature from a kid and not someone allegedly in the "36-45" age range.

Cut it, please. I'm probably in the age of your father and i most likely have 10 x more driving experience than you have, except I don't have your fast driving training, what I have to admit, really envy. And without a caused accident i have to say.

Where do I begin:

It's now legal to exceed the posted speed limit, eh?

Read what I wrote. It's not legal. But it's the safest thing to do when everybody is speeding around you. If everybody is doing 85 around and you're doing 65, especially in the middle, or even left lane, you can as well paint a big target to your car and hope that the vehicle hitting the bull's eye won't be a Peterbilt... if you want to do that, be my guest. Rest in peace.

Is that how it works in Canada?

How it works in Ontario is actually sickening. The speed limits are severely underposted, so everything depends on the cop's momentary attitude. The speed limit on 400 series highways is 100 km/h, nobody drives it. The speed is rather between 120-140 km/h, depending on the presence of law enforcement and their attitude. I personally hate this situation. I'd rather have a more realistic speed limit (130 km/h is IMO still safe enough and it's not such complete waste of time as 100 km/h) with a firmly set tolerance affording for measurement errors, so we wouldn't have to have disputes about radar/lidar calibration at the court of law. The present system, where the cops are forced to cut a huge slack to the speeders to avoid overloading the courts is just plain stupid. Unfortunately, our commie government with the premier comrade McGuinty will never let this system go.

PS: I'm talking speed limits on open highways. If I see you to measure the speed in city streets, I'll buy you a coffee. Or a beer when your shift is over.

I dare you to give this attitude the next time you get stopped. Then get back to us all.

Well, I won't say anything to an undereducated and too young individual with a huge weapon hanging on his belt. But rest assured that my attorney will certainly ask him why I was stopped while going with the flow and nobody else. The rest is up to the judge.

Well, I intend to do this in a form of a website, letters to MP and MPP and other legal forms without being actually caught speeding. It's not like I expect something to change (not with the commie government we have), but at least I'll have a feeling that I'm doing something. After all, if you compare 1971 and 2007, our cars handle much better, they have a lot of safety features and their fuel economy is incomparably better. Yet our speed limit is 20 km/h lower. Is it normal?

[Edited 2007-11-13 19:39:30]
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting FlyMIA (Reply 95):
Why? Because what I am not doing is not dangerous.

it saves gas be happy. Going at 55 and going at 75, means a 30% reduction in fuel efficiency. Lets say you get 20MPG at 55MPG driving a Chevy Tahoe, at 75MPH youre probably going to get about 14-15MPG. Its makes all the difference.