Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Renewing Canadian Passport. How To Keep Old One?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:19 pm

Hey all,

It's come time for me to renew my passport. I have tons of stamps in my old passport and would like to keep it. According to the passport renewal application I have to turn in my old passport. Is there any way to get it back with a marking or hole punched in it (to show it's no longer valid)? I really do not want to lose it.

Thanks,

Kris

N1120A

RE: Renewing Canadian Passport. How To Keep Old One?

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):

It's come time for me to renew my passport. I have tons of stamps in my old passport and would like to keep it. According to the passport renewal application I have to turn in my old passport. Is there any way to get it back with a marking or hole punched in it (to show it's no longer valid)? I really do not want to lose it.

I don't know if this is how they do it in Canada, but in the States we get our old passport's back with hole punched in them to show that they are no longer valid. I would suppose they do something similar, especially on request, though they don't let you guys smile in the picture, so who knows?
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

c172akula

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:25 pm

Hey Von, there should be a field in the passport application where you can indicate that you would like your old passport returned to you. I did it and got mine back with the new one, just had the hole punch in it as well.

I just found the section looking at the application online, it is section 3 that asks you if you want to keep it.

[Edited 2007-11-15 10:26:47]

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:25 pm

Yeah the British do something similar. I've seen hole punches or corners cut off. I hope there's a way to keep mine.

Another question for the Canadians who have renewed passports. What's the quickest way to get it? I'm willing to pay more if need be.

Kris

c172akula

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:27 pm

I mailed mine in back in May and didn't get it until September, I've heard the fastest is to go in person to one of the two passport offices in Calgary and submit it that way. Should be around 2-3 weeks after that.

ac888yow

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:28 pm

There's no problem keeping your expired passport. I did exactly that a year ago. The passport office simply punches a hole all the way through to invalidate it. I think they might also mark up a page or two on the interior (can't remember exactly), but they certainly will not 'ruin' any of your stamps.

VonRichtofen
Topic Author

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 2):
Hey Von, there should be a field in the passport application where you can indicate that you would like your old passport returned to you. I did it and got mine back with the new one, just had the hole punch in it as well.

Saaaweeeet!!! Thanks man. This must be a new thing because I don't recall seeing it on the older applications when my mom was renewing hers a couple of years back.

Kris

N1120A

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 3):
Another question for the Canadians who have renewed passports. What's the quickest way to get it? I'm willing to pay more if need be.

One way to speed things up is to show up at the passport office with the online form filled out, as opposed to doing it there. By doing it this way, not only do you avoid the apparently very long lines, you speed up processing time from 5-6 weeks to 2 weeks.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

airfoilsguy

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:33 pm

If your passport were to get "lost" you wouldn't have to turn it in.  Smile
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

yooyoo

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Thread starter):
Is there any way to get it back with a marking or hole punched in it (to show it's no longer valid)?

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 2):
there should be a field in the passport application where you can indicate that you would like your old passport returned to you

I renewed my passport about a year ago and and when i received my new one, my old passport came with it (pages clipped indicating no longer valid). I can't recall marking a box.

What's the quickest way to get it?

I took my application directly to a passport office and within 4 weeks i received my new one. This was done during a "high" time for passport applications with the new rules coming into play for air travellers going to the States. I think you can check something off to get it quicker, but for a price.

Good luck.
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

scrubbsywg

Thu Nov 15, 2007 6:45 pm

Quoting Airfoilsguy (Reply 8):
If your passport were to get "lost" you wouldn't have to turn it in

you also have to file a police report saying that it is lost/stolen, and you are forever on a list with the canadian government. Since there is a box on the application you check to get it back, there is no need to file a false police report.

Are rumors true that if you lose a passport a few times they won't give you a new one? I have heard this once or twice, and would you chance it?

northstardc4m

RE: Renewing Canadian Passport. How To Keep Old On

Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 10):
Are rumors true that if you lose a passport a few times they won't give you a new one? I have heard this once or twice, and would you chance it?

If you loose your passport "frequently" you may have a hard time renewing it yes. It's more than 1 or 2 times though.

Do it in person, everything is faster that way, got mine applied for and in hand in 12 days with pickup.

Quoting Ac888yow (Reply 5):
There's no problem keeping your expired passport. I did exactly that a year ago. The passport office simply punches a hole all the way through to invalidate it. I think they might also mark up a page or two on the interior (can't remember exactly), but they certainly will not 'ruin' any of your stamps.

On the new ones thay apply a stamp to pages 3 and 4 that says "Invalidated on *date*/again in french" Soaks into the holograms and the signature page. Saw it done to a friends at the passport office here in Mississauga, they got their old passport back when they did the renewal on the spot.
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.