Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DYflyer
Topic Author

Chernobyl/Kiev Meet 2.0

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:11 pm

Well, i guess it is time to start a thread about next years Chernobyl meet. Some of you might remember that we didn't get to visit Chernobyl on this years meet (check out the aftermath thread). We looked at the bright side though, and figured it would give us an excuse to visit Kiev again (not that we really need an excuse to visit this great city). The weekend we set our eyes on is Friday 13. to Sunday 15. of June, with the visit to Chernobyl being on Saturday.

Since i want to see more of Ukraine, i am thinking of going earlier and fly into Odessa and then fly (or take the train) up to Kiev on Friday. Or if people are more interested in seeing Crimea, flying into Simferopol could be an alternative.

I am taking the liberty of adding the others from this years meet to the list

Interested:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
Life is like a book. If you don't travel, you only read one page.

nighthawk

RE: Chernobyl/Kiev Meet 2.0

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:36 pm

well im in Big grin

Although I think we should plan to spend a few more days in Kiev, the dates mentioned only give us one day to do the tour... what happens if we cant get that day? I think maybe we should go thursday-sunday, that way we can either visit chernobyl on the fri or sat. (chernobyl on friday 13th sounds fun Big grin)

.... and the other day that we dont go we can spend on the beach at hydropark Big grin

Not sure if i will go to crimea or not, ill decide nearer the time....

JRadier

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:41 pm

how about us trying to book the saturday without specifying the actual amount of people? The tour operator said they can do only one tour a day, so it shouldn't matter to them.

PlymSpotter

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:48 pm

I am in and I will get there on this occasion, have no fear about that - I have briefed my family not to do anything stupid or have any problems this time  Wink

Likewise I'm also interested in seeing more of the country as I was planning to last time, Yalta is somewhere I'd particularly like to visit. I'm considering travelling overland one way, but that is a decision which I will take nearer to the time. Also just need to check that it doesn't clash with anything major uni wise.

Interested:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
PlymSpotter

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

DYflyer
Topic Author

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 1):
well im in :D

No surprise there. We know you wouldn´t miss the chance to buy cheap beer and visit the Hydropark.

Although I think we should plan to spend a few more days in Kiev, the dates mentioned only give us one day to do the tour... what happens if we cant get that day? I think maybe we should go thursday-sunday, that way we can either visit chernobyl on the fri or sat. (chernobyl on friday 13th sounds fun)

.... and the other day that we dont go we can spend on the beach at hydropark 

Yep! I agree. Probably makes more sense to fly in on Thursday. The people joining us next year will probably want to see some of the city. Then Judith and i can take them for a walk, while the lazy people stay at the Hydropark  duck 

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
I am in and I will get there on this occasion

Good to see Dan.

Yalta is somewhere I'd particularly like to visit.

Yalta would definately be interesting. Flying into Simferopol and take the longest trolleybus line in the world to the historic city of Yalta.

JRadier

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 4):
Then Judith and i can take them for a walk, while the lazy people stay at the Hydropark duck

WALKING?!?!?!?! AGAIN?!?!  Wink  Silly

I hope we can get more people to Kiev this time as it is a great city!

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:59 pm

Yalta would definately be interesting. Flying into Simferopol and take the longest trolleybus line in the world to the historic city of Yalta.

I think it's something like two hours - would certainly be interesting! Just checked on my faculties website and they say that the term finishes on the 13th of June, although the previous two years everything has been tied up and finished by May, so looks good for my attendance. I'll find my tutor on Thursday and ask him for sure.

Regarding getting there, WizzAir flights from Luton to Warsaw are about £20 if booked early and the train from Warsaw to Kiev is £30. This is an option which sounds good fun as well as being cheap!

Dan Smile

nighthawk

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 6):
Regarding getting there, WizzAir flights from Luton to Warsaw are about £20 if booked early and the train from Warsaw to Kiev is £30. This is an option which sounds good fun as well as being cheap!

I was watching Michael Palins "New Europe" on tv a few weeks back, and he took the train into Ukraine. Ukrainian railways are a different guague to european networks, so the trains have to stop at the border.... however instead of changing trains, they jack up the carriage, swap the wheels out, and put a new set in the correct guague. Looks interesting Big grin

Quoting JRadier (Reply 5):
WALKING?!?!?!?! AGAIN?!?! Wink Silly

i vote for a day at the beach Big grin

Sand  checkmark 
Sun  checkmark 
Cold Beer  checkmark 
Gorgeous Women In Thong Bikini's  checkmark 
 Big grin

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:37 pm

I missed just about all of those documentaries by Palin, didn't have a TV at the time... yeap, living in the dark ages!

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 7):
i vote for a day at the beach

Sand
Sun
Cold Beer
Gorgeous Women In Thong Bikini's

I'll second that  Wink Big grin

Dan Smile

RJdxer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 pm

(chernobyl on friday 13th sounds fun )

I was thinking that myself!

Not sure if i will go to crimea or not, ill decide nearer the time....

considering travelling overland one way, but that is a decision which I will take nearer to the time

I am definitely going to both Odessa and Yalta this time around. I've already decided to bid a relief line and if I line up my days right I can have almost 2 weeks to spend in country. I don't think we have agreements with any of the airlines that service Yalta or Odessa so it will probably be the overnight train for me.

PlymSpotter

Sorry but I hereby move that Dan be banned from having anything to do with booking the actual tour of Chernobyl!  grumpy 

and the other day that we dont go we can spend on the beach at hydropark

while the lazy people stay at the Hydropark

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 7):
i vote for a day at the beach

Sand
Sun
Cold Beer
Gorgeous Women In Thong Bikini's

Seconded, and I move for a day at the beach in the Crimea as well as at Odessa! You just can't get enough Sun, Sand, Cold Beer, and gorgeous women in thong bikini's, some minus their tops, while you're on vacation. Especially if your wife is on the other side of the planet!  bigthumbsup 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

JRadier

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 9):
Especially if your wife is on the other side of the planet! bigthumbsup

but not far enough for your daughter to send you photo's on your cell  Wink. What was the bill like btw?

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:00 pm

Sorry but I hereby move that Dan be banned from having anything to do with booking the actual tour of Chernobyl!

I'm sorry - I did my best last time  Embarrassment

RJdxer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 10):
but not far enough for your daughter to send you photo's on your cell

All told, along with the text messages, pictures, and phone calls my cell bill had an extra $250 dollars tacked onto it. About $50 bucks higher than I had planned but still not as bad as my China trip which tacked on an extra $300 bucks.

Quoting DYflyer (Thread starter):
weekend we set our eyes on is Friday 13. to Sunday 15. of June,

On second thought, it could still be a bit chilly there at that time of year couldn't it? Remember I'm in Houston, lots warmer than Norway. Might we think about July instead? Either way I'm in but thought it might be a bit more comfortable after the summer solstice.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

JRadier

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 12):
extra $250 dollars tacked onto it.

Damn, I had €8 extra :P. textmessages were actually half the price they were in germany (8 cents if I recall correctly)

it could still be a bit chilly there at that time of year couldn't it?

http://www.eurometeo.com/english/cli...ty_UKKK/id_GT/meteo_kiev%20ukraine

18C vs 20C. However, seeing that this trip would be within my testweeks I second your motion.

RJdxer

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 13):
18C vs 20C

We must have been there during a heat wave then because it was a heck of a lot warmer than 20C. I was warm and 20C would not make me feel that way.

Quoting JRadier (Reply 13):
I second your motion.

Thanks, I think the weather would probably be just a little better. If you get a late spring over there, well it just wouldn't be as much fun.

Let me get one other thing straight.

Sorry but I hereby move that Dan be banned from having anything to do with booking the actual tour of Chernobyl!

That was half in jest and I apologize if I offended Dan. But this time around I would gladly pay a set up fee if someone wants to take on the responsibility of getting the tour set up for sure, confirmed in advance of our departure from our respective home cities. I had a good time last summer but lets face it, we went there with one big expectation. Fortunately for all of us it turned out well despite not being able to secure the tour. I would offer to do it myself but I'm in the middle of dispatch training for CO and to honest, I'm buried in systems and procedures. My desk check is not until around the 1st of January and after that I'll still be in a learning curve. The LAS meet is still a big question mark for me. So I just can't devote the time to it I'd like and that you would want to make sure it all comes together. But if someone else is up to the task, I'm more than willing to help pay for your time.

JRadier

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 14):
I'm more than willing to help pay for your time.

come on, we're all doing this for a hobby. Let's keep this a costs only thing  Wink.

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Thanks, I think the weather would probably be just a little better. If you get a late spring over there, well it just wouldn't be as much fun.

A late spring is indeed quite likely, it seems that this winter is going to be a harsh one. I'm not sure how if affected the Ukraine, but this summers weather and alteration in the jet stream has left Northern Europe with less stored heating potential than usual, so it will be colder.

That was half in jest and I apologize if I offended Dan. But this time around I would gladly pay a set up fee if someone wants to take on the responsibility of getting the tour set up for sure, confirmed in advance of our departure from our respective home cities. I had a good time last summer but lets face it, we went there with one big expectation.

That's quite alright, no offence taken.  Smile Good suggestion though and, regarding the dates, I'm pretty flexible - so moving them later into the summer would be fine as far as I'm concerned.

Dan Smile

nighthawk

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:15 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 16):
That's quite alright, no offence taken. Smile Good suggestion though and, regarding the dates, I'm pretty flexible - so moving them later into the summer would be fine as far as I'm concerned.

the dates are flexible - any weekend is good for me!

We must have been there during a heat wave then because it was a heck of a lot warmer than 20C. I was warm and 20C would not make me feel that way.

it was 30-34 degrees C the week we were there. I was also thinking june might be a bit hit or miss, perhaps we should move to july/august again... we need to pick a warm weekend, dont want to miss those girls in bikinis  Wink

Sorry but I hereby move that Dan be banned from having anything to do with booking the actual tour of Chernobyl! grumpy

I think we all voted in favour of that in kiev!  Wink

RJdxer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 17):
we need to pick a warm weekend, dont want to miss those girls in bikinis

That is a roger. BTW, I was channel surfing a few weeks ago and what do I come across but a soccer match featuring Kiev against a British team, was it Manchester United? Is there any other team besides that one? I know, I'm putting my foot where it doesn't belong!  duck  Where the heck is my abestos suit?  flamed 

JRadier

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:04 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 18):
BTW, I was channel surfing a few weeks ago and what do I come across but a soccer match featuring Kiev

I thought you didn't care about football (the other thing is called american football  Wink) when we were in Kiev?  Wink

RJdxer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 19):
I thought you didn't care about football (the other thing is called american football

I don't, and continued to channel surf. Just thought it was interesting. I suppose I should care more since Houston's MLS team just won the national championship for the second time in a row.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/5315967.html

But sadly it just doesn't have the same impact that American football does. Now Australian rules football, that's a game! Even I have respect for those players.

kmh1956

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:45 pm

If I can scrounge together the mega-bucks it's going to cost to get me there, I'm in!! (Flight alone is close to $1500 from BDA....with many plane changes....depending on the route...I can go BA all the way, but it means changing from LGW to LHR...and that one's closer to $1800)

I will not, however, be partaking in the ogling of half-naked women in thongs. The breeze just doesn't swing that way for me.

Smile Kelly
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

JRadier

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 pm

Kelly,

it would be great to have you. The more the better.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 21):
I will not, however, be partaking in the ogling of half-naked women in thongs.

plenty of guys on the beach as well  Wink.

nighthawk

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 22):
plenty of guys on the beach as well Wink.

.... also in thong bikinis  yuck 

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 18):
BTW, I was channel surfing a few weeks ago and what do I come across but a soccer match featuring Kiev against a British team, was it Manchester United?

Remember myself and JRadier went off to watch the football in kiev? We went to see Dynamo kiev (who played man utd) vs Dnipropetrovsk (the city we flew to on a day jaunt).

Well just a few weeks after we got back, my local team, Aberdeen, got drawn against Dnipropetrovsk in the UEFA cup! Not only that, but when we went to Dnipro', we flew on a Dniproavia Yak42..... guess what aircraft brought the team over to ABZ??? Yep, Dniproavia Yak42  Silly

(incidentally ABZ won and qualified for the group stages of the tournament - their first game was 2 weeks ago against a russian side - who again came in a Yak42!)

kmh1956

Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:33 pm

plenty of guys on the beach as well .

I was going to say "Oh goody", until I read:

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 23):
plenty of guys on the beach as well Wink.

.... also in thong bikinis

My first thought was 'EWWWWW"...I appreciate the (finer) male form as much as the next girl....but NOT in a thong....or a Speedo.....that's just gross.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

dba4u

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:38 pm

Got final exams from June 12th to 25th, so no way I'll make it

DYflyer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:46 pm

On second thought, it could still be a bit chilly there at that time of year couldn't it? Remember I'm in Houston, lots warmer than Norway. Might we think about July instead? Either way I'm in but thought it might be a bit more comfortable after the summer solstice.

I do prefer June. In July it will be difficult for me to get time of from work, and i am working on other plans for August/September.

If I can scrounge together the mega-bucks it's going to cost to get me there, I'm in!!

That is great. As Jurgen said. The more the better. And the beach is not mandatory. Kiev is a great city with lots of things to see.

Interested:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
PlymSpotter
Kmh1956

JRadier

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting Dba4U (Reply 25):
Got final exams from June 12th to 25th, so no way I'll make it

I've got exams 2nd to 13th of June, and re-exams the 2 weeks after, until the 27th.

Rune, are the last few days of June and the first few of July working for you?

RJdxer

Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:22 pm

I will not, however, be partaking in the ogling of half-naked women in thongs. The breeze just doesn't swing that way for me.

also in thong bikinis

As was noted, the breeze was swinging the guys every which way! I thought all the back hair was kinda cute as well! rotfl  Maybe Bermuda has spoiled you a bit?  duck  But as DYI pointed out, there are many other things to see and do in Kiev.

guess what aircraft brought the team over to ABZ??? Yep, Dniproavia Yak42

Guess that says a lot about how highly they regard the team! ! rotfl  Reminds me of the 1989 movie "Major League" when they were flying on an old beat up DC-3.

Willie Mays Hayes: Call the stewardess, Vaughn. I need one of those bags.
Rick Vaughn: There aren't any stewardesses.
Willie Mays Hayes: I wonder if they are any pilots.

rotfl  rotfl  rotfl 

I'm available in June if need be, just thought the weather would be more condusive in July or August. I would like to get back to the graveyard of vehicles but according to what I've read the road is pretty beaten up and if it's wet and/or muddy it would be just one more excuse for the operator to not go there.

kmh1956

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
I thought all the back hair was kinda cute as well!

Oh, gross!!!

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 28):
Maybe Bermuda has spoiled you a bit?

A bit? You won't see too many women in thongs here; the laws are a bit old-fashioned....and definitely no men in thongs. However, WAY too many men in Speedos for my tastes.....give me a man in a nice pair of trunks or even board shorts and Im a happy camper.

I must say, though, that Kiev and beach are not two words that I would ever have put in the same sentence.....too much island girl in me, I guess.

[Edited 2007-11-20 15:44:30]

Birdwatching

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:55 pm

Sounds great to me! I couldn't make it the last time, even though it was high on my wish list. So here is my chance I guess. I'm in!

Soren  santahat 

Interested:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
PlymSpotter
Kmh1956
Birdwatching
All the things you probably hate about travelling are warm reminders that I'm home

JRadier

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 29):
I must say, though, that Kiev and beach are not two words that I would ever have put in the same sentence

And it wasn't for us either. Kiev isn't anywhere near a sea, but is devided in 2 by the Dnipro river, with an island (Hydropark) in the middle. It's like the area to go out, with pubs, clubs, beaches, restaurants, an amusement park etc. But you'll find it's pretty different from what we have here in the west. For example, Gavin (Nighthawk) was taking a leak down some concrete stairs (don't ask, he is scottish  Wink) and some people passed him. They didn't even look surprised  Silly.

RJdxer

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00 am

give me a man in a nice pair of trunks or even board shorts and Im a happy camper.

Then stick with me and be happy. Thongs and speedos are not in my wardrobe future.

However, WAY too many men in Speedos for my tastes

Yes, but they all have more money tucked in the speedo than most of the Ukrainian guys at that beach probably had in the bank.

I must say, though, that Kiev and beach are not two words that I would ever have put in the same sentence.....

We are in total agreement. I think that is the thing that suprised me the most. Although just because there is a beach does not mean you will go swimming. The water looked rather, well, used for lack of a better term. The hydropark was on an island in the river and had some nice places to drink and we even got a decent meal there as well. Sort of set up like a carnival.

nighthawk

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 31):
And it wasn't for us either. Kiev isn't anywhere near a sea, but is devided in 2 by the Dnipro river, with an island (Hydropark) in the middle. It's like the area to go out, with pubs, clubs, beaches, restaurants, an amusement park etc. But you'll find it's pretty different from what we have here in the west. For example, Gavin (Nighthawk) was taking a leak down some concrete stairs (don't ask, he is scottish Wink) and some people passed him. They didn't even look surprised Silly.

"Everywhere in ukraine is a toilet". The first night we went to Hydropark i asked the woman behind the bar where the toilet was, she ushered me round the back of the building and said something about picking a tree! After that i just didnt ask, and went about my business. I remember one time standing behind a building doing my business, when all of a sudden I saw a figure move, then I realised there were 3 othe rguys spread out across the forest peeing away! Its just the done thing there, and noone bats an eyelid, like that couple that walked right passed me while I wa sin full flow!

Anyway, Hydropark is pretty cool - beaches, restaraunts, bars and nightclubs, the perfect place to "Relax - and take it e-e-e-easy". Best of all, its a short stagger away from the hotel...

.. speaking of which, I vote we stay at the Турист (Tourist) hotel again. Cant fault that place - irish bar next door, mcdonalds across the road, and subway station right next to it! Also just a short stagger across the bridge from hydro.... Perfect Big grin

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 32):
Although just because there is a beach does not mean you will go swimming. The water looked rather, well, used for lack of a better term.

Someone mentioned that it is radioactive - the river that supplied water for chernobyl flows into the Dnipro upstream from kiev:

Quote:

During the last ten years water supply problems in Kyiv increase in connection with sharp water quality decreasing at water bodies. The main source of municipal water provision is the Dnipro river. It is under extraordinary radioactive influence of Kurska (Seim), Smolenska (Desna), atomic stations Rivenska (Styr), Khmelnitska (Goryn) and Chornobylska (Pryp'yat) atomic stations. They are placed in the Dnipro river zone of flow forming. Disastrous effects at the Chornobylska Atomic Station became the catastrophic ones for the Dnipro watershed. A radio-ecological situation in Kyiv reservoirs today is formed at the expense of nuclides of strontium-90 (radio nuclede period of semi-decay is Т1/2=28.6 years) and of caesium-137 (Т1/2=30 years). Radioactive Dnipro components pollution within Kyiv today exceeds corresponding pre-disaster indices.

Source: http://www.nature.org.ua/kiev98/e_kiev/issues/water/state.htm

kmh1956

Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 32):
Then stick with me and be happy. Thongs and speedos are not in my wardrobe future.

That's a very comforting thought...if I go, I may just do that.

DYflyer
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 27):
Rune, are the last few days of June and the first few of July working for you?

Possibly. Basically, the earlier the better. The problem with July is that the children's daycare-centers are closed here in Norway, and since i am the only one in my department without children the others have priority on vacation. I know one is thinking of a late vacation, but we have to be at least two people there. I guess i can't say for sure until after Xmas.

I must say, though, that Kiev and beach are not two words that I would ever have put in the same sentence

Goes for most people i think. I guess all of us was surprised to see this.

Quoting Birdwatching (Reply 30):
I'm in!

Good Soren. Now all we need is Fredrik signing up, and everyone from Svalbard is in.

Quoting JRadier (Reply 31):
For example, Gavin (Nighthawk) was taking a leak down some concrete stairs (don't ask, he is scottish  ) and some people passed him. They didn't even look surprised  .

Why do i have the feeling he is gone hear about this for ever? Big grin

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 33):
I vote we stay at the �¢�'�'�'€�¸�'��'‚ (Tourist) hotel again

I agree. It is a good hotel. Didn't work out to well with the Cyrillic. I don't think this board supports Uuencode very well. Are you taking Russian lessons too?

nighthawk

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 35):
I agree. It is a good hotel. Didn't work out to well with the Cyrillic. I don't think this board supports Uuencode very well. Are you taking Russian lessons too?

mm... stupid forum! I plan to learn a little ukrainian before we go, comes in handy when few people speak english! Although hopefully Judeth will be joining us again, she can translate.

JRadier

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:39 pm

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 35):
Why do i have the feeling he is gone hear about this for ever? Big grin

Don't know, but I have exactly the same feeling

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 36):
mm... stupid forum!

It showed correctly for me!

nighthawk

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 37):
It showed correctly for me!

it works in Firefox when you set the encoding to "Unicode (UTF-8)"

DYflyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 36):
I plan to learn a little ukrainian before we go, comes in handy when few people speak english! Although hopefully Judeth will be joining us again, she can translate.

I decided to give Russian a try. Poor Judeth have to translate for "half" of a.net next year  Smile. I think she is planing on attending the meet though. Hopefully a potential move of the meet to July won't change that.

So i am back to school  Smile. I am a bit worried about whether they will have a second semester in the spring though. Half of the class has dropped out.  grumpy 

nighthawk

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting DYflyer (Reply 39):
So i am back to school Smile. I am a bit worried about whether they will have a second semester in the spring though. Half of the class has dropped out. grumpy

you went to school to study collage? I plan to use a free online course....

DYflyer
Topic Author

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:08 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 40):
you went to school to study collage? I plan to use a free online course....

Just taking Russian lessons one evening pr. week. I figured if i was gone try to learn Russian, i might do it seriously. I think it is easier by taking classes rather than studying by my self. Also i probably would lose motivation somewhere under way. It is actually kind of fun, but at least just as difficult as i had imagined.

Glom

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:28 pm

Nighthawk tipped me off to this. I naturally have an interest in all things nuclear. Sign me up.

nighthawk

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:59 pm

Quoting Glom (Reply 42):
I naturally have an interest in all things nuclear

i still find it ironic that you work for an oil company!  Silly

Glom

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Quoting Nighthawk (Reply 43):
i still find it ironic that you work for an oil company!

At least it means no-one can accuse be of being a shill for big nuclear. With all my shilling for big oil, where would I find the time?

JRadier

Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:43 am

I know I'm a 'bit' late with my photo's, but better late then never. You can find the (small) gallery at:

http://www.jurgenradier.com/kiev

PlymSpotter

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:55 pm

Just to update the list here:

Interested:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
PlymSpotter
Kmh1956
Birdwatching
Glom

Also a suggestion to narrow our dates down, add to you names below the dates which would be the most convenient for you to travel:

Zruda
RJdxer
JRadier
Nighthawk
DYflyer
PlymSpotter ... As far as I know, anytime after early June.
Kmh1956
Birdwatching
Glom

Dan Smile

kmh1956

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:17 pm

June and after is good.....got to find the $$$ first!!

nighthawk

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:28 pm

any weekend will do me... the advantages of 9-5  Silly

DYflyer
Topic Author

Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:22 pm

So... anybody given the dates any more thought?