airlinelover
Topic Author

Immigrants Sue Over English-only Requirement..

Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:55 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312402,00.html

A little blurb..

NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Five Spanish-speaking immigrants have filed a federal lawsuit challenging a requirement that workers only speak English on the job at a Deep River machine shop.

Okay.. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is AMERICA. Our national language is ENGLISH, not Spanish, german, latin, chinese, japanese, korean, swedish, arabic, or any other language. What gives them the right to sue over a company requiring the national langauage be used?

It makes sense to have a single-language requirement. That way you don't have a bunch of people plotting behind someone's back in plain sight, for one thing.

I've long said that if you come to live in America, you should be able to fluently speak English. This is one reason, people filing frivolous lawsuits over things like this.

I hope this gets thrown out and the people fined the court costs for council.....

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

Mir

RE: Immigrants Sue Over English-only Requirement..

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Thread starter):
Our national language is ENGLISH, not Spanish, german, latin, chinese, japanese, korean, swedish, arabic, or any other language. What gives them the right to sue over a company requiring the national langauage be used?

We have no national language.

That said, it is a private company, and if they want to require their employees to speak English while on the job (note that the company's policy about English-only does not extend to while on break or at lunch, which I find perfectly reasonable), that's their perrogative.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Banco

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:07 pm

I'd have thought this would be a safety issue more than anything else.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

futurecaptain

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:14 pm

Our national language is ENGLISH

Negative

It makes sense to have a single-language requirement.

Agreed. The company says its for safety and I can see where everyone not speaking the same language in a machine shop can be a hazard.

I've long said that if you come to live in America, you should be able to fluently speak English.

That deserves two.  checkmark   checkmark 

Just like if I go overseas I am expected to be able to speak the language or else I damn well have someone with me who can.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

yowza

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:18 pm

No it's not. It is the lingua franca but nothing more.

What gives them the right to sue over a company requiring the national langauage be used?

If it's work related fair enough. If it Juan and Hernando shooting the shit while at work Spanish is fine.

That way you don't have a bunch of people plotting behind someone's back in plain sight, for one thing.

Wow, fear of immigrants much?

I've long said that if you come to live in America, you should be able to fluently speak English. This is one reason, people filing frivolous lawsuits over things like this.

Being able to speak English and speaking it exclusively are not the same. Am I correct in understanding that your notion of free speech involves speaking in English only?

YOWza

Banco

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):

No it's not. It is the lingua franca but nothing more.

Same as in Britain, in fact.
She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot.

airlinelover
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:25 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):

Not at all. But consider a small group of malconents who are pissed off about something, and they speak english AND say, spanish. No one else there speaks spanish. People may think they're shooting the shit, but they're actually planning a hit on people there. Now if it was english only, they would not have this opportunity there.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):

Being able to speak English and speaking it exclusively are not the same. Am I correct in understanding that your notion of free speech involves speaking in English only?

Not at all. It's good to be able to speak multiple languages, it can help facilitate business between countries. There is nothing wrong with being required to speak ONE certain language at work, however.
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

bok269

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:06 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 2):

Especially when working around Machinery, as implied in this article, having a common means of communication is very important. IN that sense, I feel the company is justified, especially seeing that:

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
(note that the company's policy about English-only does not extend to while on break or at lunch, which I find perfectly reasonable), that's their perrogative.

"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

StarAC17

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:11 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
We have no national language.

Thats what I thought, I was in NYC a couple weeks ago and saw a lot of signs in Spanish. More than I had expected actually.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
That said, it is a private company, and if they want to require their employees to speak English while on the job (note that the company's policy about English-only does not extend to while on break or at lunch, which I find perfectly reasonable), that's their perrogative.

I agree if it is a private company and they can do want but the ACLU will find a way to win this. I do feel that these people while encouraged to learn English they aren't going to get any white collar jobs without learning it so it really isn't that big of a deal in my eyes.
Engineers Rule The World!!!!!

AirTranTUS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:24 pm

Quoting Banco (Reply 2):

Very true. I suppose if I moved to France they wouldn't let me speak English on the job, and I surely wouldn't be able to sue to let me speak English. I would have to learn French.
I love ASO!

yowza

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 6):
but they're actually planning a hit on people there

are you serious? A hit?

YOWza

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 6):
No one else there speaks spanish. People may think they're shooting the shit, but they're actually planning a hit on people there. Now if it was english only, they would not have this opportunity there.

rotfl , so everyone should speak English because you feel afraid if someone is speaking another language, great. You know what if you want people to stop speaking their language because you feed afraid, get off you behind and learn that language, I dont go nuts because everyone around me is speaking Korean or Spanish.

English is something all immigrants should learn when they come here and if its a safety issue they should speak that, however if everyone in that company speaks Spanish I dont see a problem with it, as there tends to be jobs were Hispanics will 100% of the workforce.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

LTU932

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:40 pm

Here in Costa Rica, at least at the call centre I work in, it is a requirement that everyone who gets hired speaks decent conversational English. In many accounts, you don't even have to speak Spanish as long as you can speak English.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

mt99

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:03 pm

It makes sense to have a single-language requirement. T

How does a "national language" jive with "freedom of expression"?
Step into my office, baby

airlinelover
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 13):

How does a "national language" jive with "freedom of expression"?

National language has nothing to do with freedom of expression. Freedom of expression has to do with the freedom to express ideas and thoughts without the fear of persecution. It does not matter what language those thoughts are expressed in, however if there are rules insisting on a certain language, that can take precadance. And there are also rules against certain types of expression. Ramming aircraft into buildings to punish the "infadel" for example. Or burning a church out of hate for a race or religion..

yfbflyer

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:42 pm

How would this situation have played out if the workers were native American and they were speaking Cree or Cherokee? If the workers chose to talk among themselves I don't see how it matters what language they use. The only place I see a problem is if they would not serve a customer in english.

vc10

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:03 pm

I have just found this reference on the web

In 1981, the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission decided that employers could not require workers to speak English on the job; federal courts have held that the EEOC’s rule is illegal. Garcia v. Spun-Steak Co., 998 F.2d 1480 (9th Cir. 1993), cert. denied, 114 S.Ct. 2726 (1994).

Now in all the double negatives in this statement doesn't it mean that the Federal court decision allows employers to insist that their employees speak english on the job

littlevc10

N1120A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:03 pm

council.

Counsel

I've long said that if you come to live in America, you should be able to fluently speak English.

Why? The pilgrims didn't speak any of the native languages when they came here. My father's English was not all that good when he came here, but he has damn well learned the language (as the vast, vast majority of all immigrants do).

No it isn't, like has been said.

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

They have to show a legitimate business or safety interest.

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 9):
I suppose if I moved to France they wouldn't let me speak English on the job

I don't see why not, unless you needed to communicate with someone who didn't speak English or had to do something official.

and I surely wouldn't be able to sue to let me speak English.

You can sue for discrimination in France.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

slider

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:07 pm

We kick them out. There, problem solved. Time someone steps up and puts their brass on the table. Get the hell out!

mt99

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):
We kick them out. There, problem solved. Time someone steps up and puts their brass on the table. Get the hell out!

Did the story say anywhere that they were illegal?

As a matter of fact:

"The five, who are in this country legally, have filed a discrimination suit against"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,312402,00.html

AirframeAS

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:21 pm

At my job at Target (temporary job), we have a guy who immigranted from Italy. He and his wife works wth us and his wife speaks english. The thing is, is that the guy is so, so stubborn at work he doesn't follow rules. the only time we can get him to follow rules is when his wife is scheduled to work. When he is working alone, he does his own thing which annoys us the most.

The worst part of it: Target offered to pay for english classes, he REFUSES to learn any english whatsoever. And alot of my team members are already fed-up with him and his attitude, not his inability to speak english (Well, maybe a little bit, it might be a factor, too..)
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Tugger

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):

Just to point out, on A.net itself English is the requested/required language:

Quote:
2. As this is an international website, messages should be written in English. An occasional "Hello" or "How are you?" in French, Swahili or any other language is however permitted.

So no one here should have a problem with a private enterprise requiring English to be used during business hours for business. Its purpose is to facilitate communication via utilizing one standard language. No big deal.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:25 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 19):
Did the story say anywhere that they were illegal?

his nativism is showing, what a blanket statement to label anyone who is a Spanish speaker as an illegal immigrant.

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
The pilgrims didn't speak any of the native languages when they came here

rotfl  , they sure as hell didnt try to assimilate, but it was already their country before they even arrived there so they set the tone  Yeah sure

Cadet985

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:29 pm

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 3):
Just like if I go overseas I am expected to be able to speak the language or else I damn well have someone with me who can.

EXACTLY! I went to Israel last winter, and learned a little Hebrew (even knowing that most Israelis speak English). But in the case that I ran into someone who didn't, I had a friend who spoke both, and this situation did happen, at a fast food restaurant.

Now in terms of an English-only requirement - I think its a good idea, not just in a factory, but everywhere in this country. This is America, and the vast majority of the people speak ENGLISH...if you come here, and don't speak it, tough luck.

Marc

PAHS200

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 17):
Why? The pilgrims didn't speak any of the native languages when they came here.

that was then, and this is now.

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):

checkmark 

JGPH1A

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:35 pm

I suppose if I moved to France they wouldn't let me speak English on the job, and I surely wouldn't be able to sue to let me speak English. I would have to learn French.

Not necessarily - depends on the job. I work in France for a French company with a majority of French employees, but our working language is English.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

mt99

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:35 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 24):
that was then, and this is now.

Thats a nice way to gloss over history.

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 23):
This is America, and the vast majority of the people speak ENGLISH...if you come here, and don't speak it, tough luck.

Ive said it before. Ask Sears, Best Buy, Bank of America, Wal-Mart to stop using Spanish in their attempts to sell. That would be a good start.

LTU932

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:36 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 14):
National language has nothing to do with freedom of expression.

checkmark 

In Germany, the national language is German, and yet nobody complains that having a national language negatively impacts freedom of speech.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 24):

you agree with the most xenophobic statements so far in this thread, how are these people anyway adversely affecting your way of life? These people are legally here, no illegals as you and your buddy there presume. I wonder what would happen if the 33 million Hispanic people just left the US.

AM744

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:43 pm

Okay.. Correct me if I am wrong, but this is AMERICA. Our national language is ENGLISH, not Spanish, german, latin, chinese, japanese, korean, swedish, arabic, or any other language. What gives them the right to sue over a company requiring the national langauage be used?

I see your point, but then again, imagine an American expatriate community in the UAE or wherever in the Middle East. Should they be forced to speak Arabic between them? An official language, where it exists means that said language must be used when communicating with the government, not between private residents or citizens.

That way you don't have a bunch of people plotting behind someone's back in plain sight, for one thing.

Isn't that a bit paranoid?

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:44 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 29):
not between private residents or citizens

which no government whether it be city, state, Federal has any right to infringe upon.

Tugger

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 28):
I wonder what would happen if the 33 million Hispanic people just left the US.

I hate this argument. The truth is no one has any idea. Everyone can pontificate about how the end of our lifestyle would come but there is no and can be no proof of this unless it were to actually happen. And it won't, people have to work to feed their families. I say that if we ever did get control of our points of entry and that only legal immigrants were allowed to stay and this caused a problem then at least the USA could have the choice to increase the flow of immigrants in a controlled fashion. What we have now is an untenable mess.

Anyway this is not what this discussion should devolve to, immigration policy can fill a thread all on its own. This is about language and requiring one language is not a bad thing. Don't get sucked into an immigration flame-thread.

Tug
I don’t know that I am unafraid to be myself, but it is hard to be somebody else. - W. Shatner
Productivity isn’t about getting more things done, rather it’s about getting the right things done, while doing less. - M. Oshin

Cadet985

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting Mt99 (Reply 26):
Ive said it before. Ask Sears, Best Buy, Bank of America, Wal-Mart to stop using Spanish in their attempts to sell. That would be a good start.

I love that the Best Buy by me does stuff like that....there are almost NO Spanish speaking people in my neighborhood....the two dominant languages are English and Russian, and don't get me started on some of the Russians in my neighborhood that I have met.

Marc

Arrow

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:55 pm

Quoting AM744 (Reply 29):
sn't that a bit paranoid?

Yup. Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine goes to a beauty parlor staffed by Koreans, who make very funny smart-ass remarks about her in Korean (English subtitles) and laugh. Great show.

Canada has two "official" languages, English and French, and there is always an underlying current of resentment from the Anglos about French being rammed down their throats. Then there's the Quebec language laws. Don't go down that road.
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:56 pm

Quoting Cadet985 (Reply 33):
there are almost NO Spanish speaking people in my neighborhood

so youre happy that there are no Hispanics in your neighborhood?  Confused

PA110

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:58 pm

OK, there seems to be two different arguments going on here.

1) whether or not employees can use their native language on the job

2) whether or not immigrants should be required to learn English.

A little pragmatism goes a long way here - on both points...

1) If we're talking Walmart, or any other mainstream U.S. company serving the wider general public, then a working knowledge of English as well as a requirement to use English in the course of doing one's job is not an unreasonable request. As far as language used off the clock or on lunch/breaks, that should not be the company's concern. If the company specifically serves or advertises to immigrant communities, then it should not be unreasonable to allow employees to converse in the language of the target ethnic group.

2) It is pretty much understood that without at least basic conversational English language skills, it is difficult to get ahead in the USA. Most legal immigrants are not stupid or stubborn, and recognize for themselves that a working knowledge of English will help them get ahead much faster. But perhaps if there was an official requirement that all legal immigrants achieve a minimal level of proficiency, it might help take the venom out of those xenophobes and other anti-immigrant groups who feel that their culture is under attack.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

mt99

Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:59 pm

I love that the Best Buy by me does stuff like that....there are almost NO Spanish speaking people in my neighborhood....the two dominant languages are English and Russian, and don't get me started on some of the Russians in my neighborhood that I have met.

You are such a ball of joy! LOL

Who cleans the tables at McDonalds then?

Tugger

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Poor education of people born in and living in a country is no reason for deportation. Being born in a country makes that person a legal resident, even here in the USA.

As to the ability to locate countries on a map I bet there are more people in India that can't identify various foreign countries on a map (simply due to the fact that there are three time as many in the country as compared to the USA). I'm not saying that India has a poor education system, I am saying that many countries have holes in their education systems.

Can we please drop the immigration and nation bashing stuff?

Tug

LAXspotter

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Tugger (Reply 43):
immigration and nation bashing stuff?

can we also stop grouping all immigrants, and including racist overtones in our discussions as well?

Gemuser

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Tugger (Reply 37):
Being born in a country makes that person a legal resident,

In many countries it does not.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

Delta767300ER

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:18 am

If they dont like the requirement to speak English at their job then quit or go back to whatever country they are from. I am sick of people coming into the U.S. not speaking English, and NOT trying to learn. Its depressing. Dont walk up to me in the street and expect me to speak your language. I also think you should have to be fluent in English before getting U.S. Citizenship.

If I decide to move to Pakistan, I will begin the process of learning Urdu well in advance of my move.

-Delta767300ER

L-188

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:41 am

I can understand the resentment to this rule, and don't feel that it should apply to private conversations at work. But by the same token I see exactly why an employeer would need this rule for work related communications.

BTW, I work with several native russian speakers now, and I do occasional feel like Elaine in that Seinfeld episode.

I also work for the catering company at the local airport and most of the drivers where ESL. Made for some interesting conversations.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

mham001

Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 am

I have to admit resentment when I go to the only supermarket within 20 minutes and the cashier cannot or will not speak a word of English and gives me a nasty look when I do.

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:12 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 42):
supermarket within 20 minutes and the cashier cannot or will not speak a word of English

Unless this is East LA or a 99% Hispanic community at a local store I cannot relate to this story being from LA. Where did this happen?

mham001

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:31 am

San Jose near San Jose State It is a Supermercado and is the only store around

Falcon84

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:38 am

Our national language is ENGLISH,

Not by law, but, if you will, simply by tradition.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):

Not at all. Remember the saying, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do". When in American, plan to learn the English language, hopefully better than our current President.  Big grin

Disagree. You should have to LEARN English, but to speak it fluently when getting here is a bit over the top. You should have a certain time to learn the language-spoken and written-before becoming a citizen. No problem with keeping your home language as a second language, but in this nation, you should be required to speak English within a reasonable period of time.

If someone does not want to learn English when coming here, they should just stay where they are, as far as I'm concerned.
Work Right, Fly Hard

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:49 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 44):
Supermercado and is the only store around

no kidding  Big grin , regardless I think they should be happy youre bringing business to their store and should be a little nicer. When I go to other ethnic stores, I havent been treated rather nicely, but thats usually with a friend.

halls120

Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:53 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 28):
I wonder what would happen if the 33 million Hispanic people just left the US.

Well, we'd have more room for the many other non-hispanic potential immigrants awaiting a visa.  Smile

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 34):
there are almost NO Spanish speaking people in my neighborhood

so youre happy that there are no Hispanics in your neighborhood?

I have lots of Hispanics in my neighborhood. They are entirely welcome, because they are hard working, maintain their homes, and speak english.

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 40):
If they dont like the requirement to speak English at their job then quit or go back to whatever country they are from. I am sick of people coming into the U.S. not speaking English, and NOT trying to learn.

checkmark 

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 45):
If someone does not want to learn English when coming here, they should just stay where they are, as far as I'm concerned.

Or, if they want to come here and not learn english, accept that they aren't going to have the same access to employment as people who can speak english.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Falcon84

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 47):
Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 45):

Or, if they want to come here and not learn english, accept that they aren't going to have the same access to employment as people who can speak english.

Agree, 100%. Unless you live in Miami, New York City or Lorain, Ohio.  Yeah sure
Work Right, Fly Hard

Mir

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 14):
And there are also rules against certain types of expression. Ramming aircraft into buildings to punish the "infadel" for example. Or burning a church out of hate for a race or religion..

Are you seriously comparing arson and terrorism to a simple conversation in Spanish?  Yeah sure

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day