Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Telemarketers: Bane Of Existence

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:00 pm

This guy got an ear-ful. Anyone want to share previous experiences? I am starting to get these on my CELL phone now. I had Alltel call my AT&T phone the other day, wanting me to switch over. WTF!?!?
Puhdiddle

bagpiper

RE: Telemarketers: Bane Of Existence

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm

We used to get them so often that we got another phone line and kept it unlisted. Used the original line for the computer (back when dialup was the way to go).

Now, if we ever get any calls, they usually ask for my dad. I tell them to hold on while I go get him. While they are waiting, I grab my bagpipes and play the worst, loudest, horrendous sounding note possible. (somewhere along a C natural, which sounds horrible with the drones tuned to B flat). I make sure I play it right into the phone.

Or, if my pipes are packed away, I go put the phone onto of the central vac unit (its out in the garage), and turn it on. Talk about loud.

Every single time, they just hang up and never call back.

Too bad we only get the dumb recorded calls now. Maybe thats for a reason.  Silly

yowza

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:22 pm

The second I get a hint that the person on the other end is a telemarketer, click, I hang up. That is the only way they take a hint. I have long stopped waiting for a good point in our "dialog" to express my disinterest.

YOWza

futurecaptain

Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:33 pm

Some of those telemarketing pranks on you tube are hilarious.

The only thing I've ever been able to do is give this one some serious run-around. He happened to call at a time when I had alot of family in town and asked for a Mr. soandso. Well, looking around the room I found at least 5 people, myself included, who fall into the catagory of Mr. soandso. We had fun passing the phone around, letting him talk a bit, then telling him he needed the other one, so the phone would get passed around and the telemarketer would never talk to who he really called for. It was fun.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

MD11junkie

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:26 pm

I still find this Seinfeld-ish response the best one... I've done it a few it times myself.

Big grin
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

National757

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:36 pm

People in the US still get telemarketing calls?? http://www.donotcall.gov - I can't remember my last telemarketing call...got my cell phone..my house phone..my second line all listed on there and have yet to receive a telemarketing call.

RicciPettit

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:38 pm

I was once a telemarketer... let me tell you, it must be one of the hardest jobs ever.

I left after a few weeks, it's totally horrible.
Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either!

LTU932

Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:49 pm

Whenever a telemarketer calls me, I usually hang up on them. If they continue to call back, I start yelling at them and tell them to fuck off. I even had to do this once at a mall, where I yelled at some guy from a hotel who was offering me something. In the end I felt like the infamous "Manolo Cabeza de Huevo". That's how pissed I was.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LurveBus

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 am

Whenever I'd encounter a telemarketer, I'd politely say that I'm 14. I've been doing that since I was 14, and in my experience, they'd be the ones hanging up on me.

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:21 am

I posted this story in a similar thread recently on here but I'll share it again.

My freshman year at ERAU one of my suitemates had caller-ID on his phone. Well, we learned to recognize the area code of where the telemarketing calls were coming from. So one day, they call and he answers the phone and immediately starts speaking in an Arab Accent.
They ask "Hi, is JP XXXX there?" and he responds "Yes, this JP". So they start talking to him "I understand you're a student at Embry-Riddle" and then my friend cuts in "Yes, I student at Embry-Riddle learning how to fly but not to land". They immediately hung up and he never received a telemarketer call after that.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

kevi747

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:45 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 2):
The second I get a hint that the person on the other end is a telemarketer, click, I hang up. That is the only way they take a hint. I have long stopped waiting for a good point in our "dialog" to express my disinterest.

Thats the only way to handle it. My parents bought me up to be polite so I used to try and nicely explain that I wasn't interested in whatever they were selling but they would never give me a chance to refuse.

Also, many times if I even listened to the speech in its entirety and waited until the end to turn down the offer, they'd wrap up by saying, "So, just to confirm sir, you've ordered (whatever) at a cost of (whatever price)." That used to piss me off because I hadn't agreed to anything, I'd just tried to be polite by not hanging up in their face. I guess to them simply staying on the line was as good as giving a verbal "Yes, sign me up."
"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." --Stephen Colbert

Soku39

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:03 am

The friend I'm living with right now is a telemarketer. He hated it for the first few weeks, but now loves it, and somehow makes a ton of money. He's told me about all the horrendous calls he's had and they sound quite awful, but he doesn't take it personaly. Heres the thing all the person on the line has to say to get off the list is "Please take me off the list", but for those people who lose their cool and swear at him, for those people he highlights their name, and they get called the next week at the same time. I find it funny, but I don't deal with it since my number is on the do not call list.
The Ohio Player

tz757300

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:07 am

At least he isn't this lady, she is just NUTS!

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:21 am

I get them from time to time. Annoying bastards. Have to say that these days if I don't recognise the number coming up, or the number is witheld, 9/10 times I won't answer it. Doesn't always work though, like on Tuesday I didn't answer a call that turned out to be from the alarm company telling me the alarm had gone off at the office. Ooops.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

BR715-A1-30
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting TZ757300 (Reply 12):
At least he isn't this lady, she is just NUTS!

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!! She compares a telemarketer, simply doing his job (albeit annoying) to a murderer, a rapist, and an abuser? Me thinks this woman needs SERIOUS psychological treatment
Puhdiddle

nighthawk

Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:40 am

A friend once got a telemarketing call asking him if he had ever considered getting a conservatory. He replied that he had considered it, and would be quite interested in one. The guy then gave him the sales pitch, and said that he would arrange for someone to come around and measure up for a conservatory and show him through a few designs.

A few weeks later he got a phone call - "Mr Soandso - its Mr Blahblah from the conservatory company. Im standing outside your apartment building - Mr Soandso - what floor do you live on?".

He then explained that he lived on the 14th floor, and that if they continued to waste his time with rediculous marketing pitches then he would continue to waste their time!