Duff44
Topic Author

Shipping Alcohol To Europe... Legal?

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:41 am

My sister and future brother-in-law live in London, UK and I'd like to send them a gift for the holidays... a case of Sam Adams (the brother-in-law loves the stuff)

I'm in Connecticut

I was wondering from the experts in international dealings... is this even remotely legal? I don't want to do anything shady... if it's not legal, forget it (I WILL be caught and serve the maximum, that's just my luck).

If it is legal, then how do I go about it?

Thanks in advance...

Smile
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

deltagator

RE: Shipping Alcohol To Europe... Legal?

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:28 am

I can't speak for the lagality of it but the maximum punishment would be them destroying the booze so don't worry about time in the Pokey. I don't believe you'll be able to get FedEx or UPS to send it due to taxes, tarriffs, and God knows what other laws governing booze in this country and the UK.

Quoting Duff44 (Thread starter):
My sister and future brother-in-law live in London, UK and I'd like to send them a gift for the holidays... a case of Sam Adams

Spent Turkey Day drinking a bunch of Sam varities including the Hallertau Imperial Pilsner with 8.8% alcohol and 12 pounds of Hops per barrel (versus the 1 pund in their regular lager and an ounce or so in crap like Budweiser.)

Such good stuff and incredibly expensive overseas. We found a liquor shop in Brisbane that had Sam Adams and they wanted 25 AUD for it. Even with the conversion I was able to live without it and drink XXXX or VB instead.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:35 am

No problem, but unless they take pity on you for blowing so much $$$ on the postage, you're sister will have to pay duty and VAT, plus a handling fee from the Royal Mail or courier company.

Portugal even calculates duty based on the value of the item plus shipping, not sure if the UK does too (I think not). Wouldn't be the first time I've rejected a parcel here from outside the EU due to insane fees.

Don't send booze to Canada though. It will be confiscated unless it is going to an official entity like the Ontario Liquor Board. I sent a bottle of Moet to a friend who got married, and all she got was a note from Canada Customs saying someone sent her "wine" but that was it.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

Alessandro

Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Bhx, same as Sweden tax on shipping+value, your sister probably end up paying tax for it.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

Klaus

Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:02 pm

If you want to do it legally anyway, just ask the respective authorities. UPS or any other shipping company should also be able to tell you about it, or at least point you to someone who is.

deltagator

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 4):
UPS or any other shipping company should also be able to tell you about it, or at least point you to someone who is.

They may be able to point you in the direction of someone who will but they will not ship it (at least for the common man out there.) I tried to send some stuff back from India and they wouldn't take the bottles of wine. I expect a import/export business of some sort would be required for them to take the shipment.

Quoting Bhxfaotipyyc (Reply 2):
Portugal even calculates duty based on the value of the item plus shipping,

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 3):
Bhx, same as Sweden tax on shipping+value

Now those countries have a good racket going on then. Value of the item plus shipping? That's crazy.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Duff44
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting Bhxfaotipyyc (Reply 2):
No problem, but unless they take pity on you for blowing so much $$$ on the postage, you're sister will have to pay duty and VAT, plus a handling fee from the Royal Mail or courier company.

Wow, that sucks...

Looks like I'll have to come up with something else...  Angry
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

PanHAM

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:45 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 5):
to send some stuff back from India and they wouldn't take the bottles of wine. I expect a import/export business of some sort would be required for them to take the shipment.

It is absolutely legal for most citizens in Europe (except may be Sweden) to import licquors, beer and wine, All you have to do is to properly declare it, pay the duty, which is calculated on the cost of the merchandise and the share pof the freight costs within the EU (that depends on the point of origin) plus the licquor tax plus the VAT on the total (including the duties) . No licquor licence needed to do that, unlike vv, one cannot even import candy filled with licquor (Wenbarndbohnen=) into the US unless you have a licence.

Suggestion from my side. Dpn't do it, because you just about get everything here in a retail store and cheaper than in retail in the US, (depends on local taxation) . The more exotic stuff like Sam Adams might be difficult, but check it on the web, There used to be a store in Darmstadt that sold Beers from all over the world. .No reason to ship it. If there is a licquor brand not available in Germany, the factory does not export.

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

deltagator

Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:55 pm

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 7):
It is absolutely legal for most citizens in Europe (except may be Sweden) to import licquors, beer and wine

Except that he is a US citizen in the USA trying to ship overseas.  Wink

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 7):
There used to be a store in Darmstadt that sold Beers from all over the world.

Doesn't do a guy in the US much good trying to get beer to his family in the UK though.  Wink

Though I figured you would chime in if you saw the thread since you've got a shipping/cargo background IIRC. It's good information to know but it doesn't help this situation.

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 6):
Looks like I'll have to come up with something else...

How about a nice 8" x 10" photo of you drinking one?
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

aa61hvy

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:09 pm

To do it legally, you will need to obtain an alcohol shipping license. Since you are not a business you will not get approved.

You can try to ship it, but I can tell you customs will turn it back real quick....
Go big or go home

Klaus

Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Maybe there's an alternative: Try to find a dealer at the destination who will ship the desired product locally to your relatives, maybe even wrapped as a gift.

Getting them to accept your credit card should be much easier than getting the stuff shipped and possibly damaged on the trip.

808TWA

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:30 pm

I'm with a freight forwarder in Canada and although we can, we generally avoid shipping alcohol overseas.

One of the main reasons is the expense involved. Most clients freak at the cost, even for a small gift. The main expense occurs at destination where customs duty, tax, excise and local handling, clearance and delivery charges greatly exceed the value of the product. However, there is no restriction for the initial export out of Canada. Importing INTO Canada can only be performed through a Forwarder/Broker as assigned by the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) or the regulating body in other Provinces.

You could contact a local Freight Forwarder in the USA to ask their opinion and get a quote for you, including destination charges up to door (incoterm DDP).

I think you will find that most couriers will also refuse to handle any alcohol shipments, including out of the USA.

Best option as already suggested above by KLAUS is locate the product locally at destination and have it delivered from there. This is also the suggestion we give to our clients.

Good luck!!

Alan
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

PanHAM

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 8):

Except that he is a US citizen in the USA trying to ship overseas

that would be an EXCPORT from the USA and an IMPORT in the UK, which is exactly what I have said, customs clearance regulations are more or less standardized in the single market EU, duty is the same the VAT and exscise taxes are different.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 8):
Doesn't do a guy in the US much good trying to get beer to his family in the UK though.

which was an example, you get everything in the UK as well, may be not around the corner but definately in Greater London.

As I have said, and 808TWA confirmed that, they should source it locally. Try the web and find an on line store. That could be in Darmstadt or anyweher else in Germany, they can ship to the UK as well, no taxes and no duty, just for the cost of shipping and the product.

OK?

Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!