ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Canadian Cruise Ship Sinking In Antarctic Waters

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:19 pm

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cruise-...ica-evacuated/20071123061209990001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21935099/

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/americ...s/11/23/antarctica.ship/index.html

Can't seem to find the owners of this stricken ship. The news does say it's a Canadian flagged vessel. FOrtunately, everyone is off and safely aboard a Norwegian Coastal Voyages ship, MS Nordnorge.

Wonder how many ships actually hit ice, hard enough, to puncture a hull plate?

Wonder if the ship had a strengthened bow?
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

PlymSpotter

RE: Canadian Cruise Ship Sinking In Antarctic Waters

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Good to hear they all got off safely - not a place that you'll survive long floating in the sea.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

comorin

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:30 pm

How does a fist-sized hole sink a ship of that size?

ZakHH

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Thread starter):
Can't seem to find the owners of this stricken ship.

German media report it's a British company. No more details though. Apparently, she has seen better days - reccent inspections revealed several issues.

Wonder how many ships actually hit ice, hard enough, to puncture a hull plate?
Wonder if the ship had a strengthened bow?

Depends on what ice you hit. You can strenghten ships against ice floe, or icy surfaces. But hitting an iceberg is like hitting a rock - no hull will withstand that.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

AeroWesty

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:40 pm

Seems like it's a ship purpose-built for this kind of traveling:

http://www.gapadventures.com/explorer/
International Homo of Mystery

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 3):
German media report it's a British company

Interesting, the ship flies a Canadian flag. Can be seen in this photo off AOL.
http://news.aol.com/story/_a/cruise-...ica-evacuated/20071123061209990001

Quoting ZakHH (Reply 3):
Depends on what ice you hit. You can strenghten ships against ice floe, or icy surfaces. But hitting an iceberg is like hitting a rock - no hull will withstand that

Ships often travel into Glacier Bay here in Alaska - and I've traveled very close to Columbia Glacier . . . you can hear/feel the ice hitting the hull. Just curiosity I suppose.

The ship used to sail for Lindblad. Also made news several years ago when a rogue wave hit her and really caused some damage, requiring a layup on Hawaii for repairs.

Edit:

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 4):

Thanks for that . . . couldn't find it earlier.

Seems you're quite right, " ice-hardened hull ice rating 1A1 ice A . Musta been a hell of a hard chunk of ice!

[Edited 2007-11-23 10:48:56]
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

David L

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:46 pm

What? Listing to one side?

yooyoo

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Another link
http://www.torontosun.com/News/Canada/2007/11/23/4679455.html

"Ship owned by Toronto-based GAP Adventures"
"Evacuees from the Liberian-flagged Explorer were boarding another cruise ship, Endeavor, near the South Shetland Islands",
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

AeroWesty

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 6):
Listing to one side?

To better view the whales, of course!
International Homo of Mystery

MDorBust

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Has anyone contacted Celine Dion yet?
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

BladeLWS

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:53 pm

Quoting Comorin (Reply 2):
How does a fist-sized hole sink a ship of that size?

If said fist sized hole happened at an electrical switchboard they would loose power, and no power would mean no pumps to control the water flow. And remember this is a cruise ship, they don't carry a dedicated damage control team like a naval ship would. Most of the crew is probably trained in basic fire fighting/flooding.

David L

Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:58 pm

Quoting AeroWesty (Reply 8):
To better view the whales, of course!

And to ease the up-chuck process.

c172akula

Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:34 pm

This was the worst early morning news I've personally gotten!

My wife and I are booked on this ship in late February for one of the Antarctic cruises, now I'm scrambling trying to figure out what to do if it doesn't come together.  irked 

[Edited 2007-11-23 11:37:21]

ANCFlyer
Topic Author

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 12):
My wife and I are booked on this ship in late February for one of the Antarctic cruises, now I'm scrambling trying to figure out what to do if it doesn't come together.

I don't think you'll have a major problem . . . a small hole in the hull the size of a fist shouldn't be a real show stopper to fix.

Recently, the M/V Aurora, an Alaska Ferry, holed herself on a rock - a rather substantial hole in fact - and was back in service in 90 days.

I think your biggest concern is the location of the ship at this point . . . what shipyards can be contracted in short order, in that geographic location to repair the ship?

Good luck to you and your wife getting things lined out.

c172akula

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 13):

I don't think you'll have a major problem . . . a small hole in the hull the size of a fist shouldn't be a real show stopper to fix.

Then why did she just sink! ARrrrrrrghalgaslhgaslhgaslh!!! http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...ers_071123/20071123?hub=TopStories

Now I've definitely got to work on 'Plan B'!

808TWA

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting MDorBust (Reply 9):
Has anyone contacted Celine Dion yet?

Yep, I just did.

She said that her hole is bigger can can hold more SEAmen.

Big grin  Big grin
Love is in the air, so practice safe flying

57AZ

Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:26 pm

My wife and I are booked on this ship in late February for one of the Antarctic cruises, now I'm scrambling trying to figure out what to do if it doesn't come together.

There may have been additional damage that could not be seen. Perhaps the berg had a ledge under the surface that wasn't visable or punctured an empty fuel oil tank and caused additional flooding?
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

halls120

RE: Canadian Cruise Ship Sinking In Antarctic Wate

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Quote:

There may have been additional damage that could not be seen. Perhaps the berg had a ledge under the surface that wasn't visable or punctured an empty fuel oil tank and caused additional flooding?

You can have the smallest hole in the world, but if you 1) don't have trained damage control teams and 2) no watertight integrity, glub, glub, glub.

My guess is that the ship in question lacked both.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

alberchico

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:57 pm

How the hell can scraping wth some ice sink a ship ??? Aren't the hull of these explorer ships equipped with reinforced stronger hulls for these exact type of situations ???

[Edited 2007-11-23 15:58:34]
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

Queso

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Alberchico (Reply 18):
How the hell can scraping wth some ice sink a ship ???

Ask the crew of the Titanic.

Aren't the hull of these explorer ships equipped with reinforced with stronger hulls for these exact type of situations ???

Yeah, but maybe they are not stressed for a "direct hit" by a large, hard, submerged iceberg.

Then again, read a few of the 9/11 conspiracy websites and you can concieve many eventualities that may have sunk this ship!

NeilYYZ

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:08 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 19):
Then again, read a few of the 9/11 conspiracy websites and you can concieve many eventualities that may have sunk this ship!

It was clearly George Bush, everyone knows that.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

BR715-A1-30

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:45 am

Apparently not!

Ask the crew of the Titanic.

Yeah, you got their phone number  duck 
Puhdiddle

halls120

Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:51 am

How the hell can scraping wth some ice sink a ship ??? Aren't the hull of these explorer ships equipped with reinforced stronger hulls for these exact type of situations ???

An ice-strengthened hull doesn't mean it can necessarily withstand hitting an iceberg, only that it can sail in waters with drift or pack ice.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

diamond

Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:56 am

One of our own a.netters, Curtisman, went on an extended trip on this ship less than one year ago. They went from Chile to Antarctica and he took some incredible photos during his trip. He is gone this weekend on yet another of his many trips. Malta? Bahamas? Hawaii? I forget. I'm sure he can post some feedback about the ship and his experience when he returns. In the meantime, here is one photo that he emailed to me of The Explorer:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v161/diamond@fn/P1030468a.jpg
Blank.

diamond

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:23 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 17):
You can have the smallest hole in the world, but if you 1) don't have trained damage control teams and 2) no watertight integrity, glub, glub, glub.

Precisely. Smallest of hole or not, I think this ship is history . . .

Blank.

AverageUser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 5):
you're quite right, " ice-hardened hull ice rating 1A1 ice A . Musta been a hell of a hard chunk of ice!

My morning paper fresh from the mailbox says the ship was built in 1969 into Finnish/Baltic ice class 1C. The current passenger ferries sailing e.g. between Helsinki and Stockholm are 1A or 1A Super. (The other categories are 1B, 2/II, and unclassified).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_class

Yeah, but maybe they are not stressed for a "direct hit" by a large, hard, submerged iceberg.

1/10th of the volume of any block of ice will always remain above surface.

[Edited 2007-11-23 20:14:02]

Type-Rated

Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:56 am

How deep is the water where the ship sank?
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

AverageUser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 26):
How deep is the water where the ship sank?

Comparing the ship's last repoted location from the operator's site:

against a seafloor map of the area I found in here:
http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~penguin/p...iosci/issues/pdf/1993-Naganobu.pdf

I'd say the water depth at the sinking site is over 1 000 meters, which is surprisingly deep.

Queso

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 27):
Comparing the ship's last repoted location from the operator's site:

against a seafloor map of the area I found in here:
http://polaris.nipr.ac.jp/~penguin/p...iosci/issues/pdf/1993-Naganobu.pdf

I'd say the water depth at the sinking site is over 1 000 meters, which is surprisingly deep.

Damn, that's good work! Thanks!

Alessandro

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:35 pm

1400 meter depth according to Swedish media, 5 of shipping crew where from Sweden, the captain comes from the same island as I.
From New Yorqatar to Califarbia...

AverageUser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:14 pm

Here's the poor ship's position saved from the operator's site, requests now seem to result in a server misconfiguration error message.

bilgerat

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:07 am

Put simply, a "fist sized hole" should not sink a vessel of that size.

Either there was more to it than just a fist sized hole, or something was very wrong with how the crew dealt with the situation.

RayChuang

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 14):
Now I've definitely got to work on 'Plan B'!

Did you buy your cruise by credit card or buy travel insurance for the trip? If you bought the trip by credit card IMMEDIATELY contact the company that issued your credit card and tell them what's going on; they can work to get a refund because this is a very unusual circumstance that prevented your trip from happening.

halls120

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 31):
Put simply, a "fist sized hole" should not sink a vessel of that size. Either there was more to it than just a fist sized hole, or something was very wrong with how the crew dealt with the situation.

As I stated above, if the ship lacked a qualified repair party, and had compromised watertight integrity, it could indeed be sunk by a fist sized hole.

AverageUser

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 33):
As I stated above, if the ship lacked a qualified repair party, and had compromised watertight integrity, it could indeed be sunk by a fist sized hole.

A certified ship must be able to withstand a hole in one of the compartments IF the watertight doors properly compartmentalize the hull. If the doors might leak, which was a documented concern in an inspection shortly before the accident, a sinking will take place sooner or later.
A crew is not required to show a "Das Boot" type of readiness in instant repairs so there'll be a certain amount of reliance in the passive safety features.
I read in the Lloyd's newspage that the British autohorities may conduct an investigation into the accident as it took place just outside the British territorial waters in Antarctica, in the absense of any other authority.

halls120

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 34):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 33):

A certified ship must be able to withstand a hole in one of the compartments IF the watertight doors properly compartmentalize the hull. If the doors might leak, which was a documented concern in an inspection shortly before the accident, a sinking will take place sooner or later.
A crew is not required to show a "Das Boot" type of readiness in instant repairs so there'll be a certain amount of reliance in the passive safety features.

This accident illustrates the folly of modern commercial ship crewing. Because the built in safety features obviously failed, the ship was doomed. Had the crew been properly trained (not to military standards), they might have stood a chance.

I've inspected ships where the crew couldn't find their own personal life saving equipment, much less operate it.

AverageUser

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:19 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 35):
Had the crew been properly trained (not to military standards), they might have stood a chance.

I don't know what the military would have done in a similar case, but I think it was appropriate of the crew to prioritise the saving of the souls on board over the ship. To me what they did was he only sensible thing to be done in the situation, especially if the ship's watertightness was compromised and that was known to the crew.

halls120

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:34 pm

Quoting AverageUser (Reply 36):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 35):
Had the crew been properly trained (not to military standards), they might have stood a chance.

I don't know what the military would have done in a similar case, but I think it was appropriate of the crew to prioritise the saving of the souls on board over the ship. To me what they did was he only sensible thing to be done in the situation, especially if the ship's watertightness was compromised and that was known to the crew.

Of course the crew's actions in this case were proper. My point is that these days, that's all a crew can be expected to do - save the passengers and crew, because they aren't going to be able to save the ship from sinking.

But if the ship's watertight integrity was known to have been compromised before the accident, somebody ought to face some significant liability.

Alessandro

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:37 pm

To build a ship that are safer than this you need a nuclear plant onboard, which is really expensive, N/S Savannah was a
futile attempt to try this for passenger traffic.

halls120

Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:04 pm

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 38):
To build a ship that are safer than this you need a nuclear plant onboard, which is really expensive, N/S Savannah was a
futile attempt to try this for passenger traffic.

A nuclear reactor won't save a ship that has suffered a hull breach and has no watertight integrity.

A conventionally powered ship built AND maintained to modern standards would have survived that casualty.

Alessandro

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 pm

Halls, yes, but a conventional powered ship with highest icebreaking security would be very expensive to run.
So that´s why they got nuclear icebreakers.

Scooter01

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:29 pm

There are great concerns among people in the safety business that there is no dedicated Search and Rescue group for the increased cruise-traffic in the Antarctic.
It was only pure luck and good weather that saved all these people. These cruise-ships seem to be working on a "buddy-system" while in the Antarctic waters, but there is no way of telling if the story would have ended this way if another cruise-ship had not been so close by and the weather being calm.

However, on a brighter side, Danish passenger Jan Henkel, remembered to save the engagement-ring he was going to present to his beloved one that same evening and instead proposed to her is the life-boat
-getting a  yes 

The upcoming honeymoon would definately go to a warmer area...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7111244.stm

Scooter01
There is always a good reason to watch airplanes

halls120

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 41):
There are great concerns among people in the safety business that there is no dedicated Search and Rescue group for the increased cruise-traffic in the Antarctic.

Instead of spending time worrying about the lack of dedicated SAR response in the Antarctic, it seems to me those efforts would be better spent ensuring the vessels plying those waters were actually being maintained properly.

Scooter01

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:48 pm

It was only pure luck and good weather that saved all these people.

Luckily there were only 154 people onboard the M/S Explorer that had to go into the life-boats and wait for approximately 4 hrs.before getting rescued by another cruise-ship..

-Imagine if there would have been a ship with 3 or 4 times as many people on board that this happened to?

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 42):
the lack of dedicated SAR response in the Antarctic

There are nobody in that area of the world with any kind of helicopter or rescue-vessel capacity to help out if an unforeseen disaster strikes. -Anything from somebody having appendicitis to a heart-attack or massive food-poisoning (known to happen on a lot of cruise-ships)
or God forbid;another Titanic-like catastrophe.

My point is that very few, if any, people booking a cruise like this are aware that there are very small chances to be rescued in the Antarctic if anything goes wrong

Scooter01

halls120

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 43):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 42):
the lack of dedicated SAR response in the Antarctic

There are nobody in that area of the world with any kind of helicopter or rescue-vessel capacity to help out if an unforeseen disaster strikes. -Anything from somebody having appendicitis to a heart-attack or massive food-poisoning (known to happen on a lot of cruise-ships)
or God forbid;another Titanic-like catastrophe.

My point is that very few, if any, people booking a cruise like this are aware that there are very small chances to be rescued in the Antarctic if anything goes wrong

They need to become better educated, it would seem.

It would be folly to establish dedicated search and rescue facilities in Antarctica. As I've said earlier, the companies that offer these cruises need to ensure their vessels are capable of making these hazardous journeys.

Scooter01

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 44):
They need to become better educated, it would seem.

Being an attorney,- I guess you would have said that. duck  -welcome to my RU list.

"Caveat emptor" -was the sign on the desk of a good friend of mine....

Scooter01

KaiGywer

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:01 am

FOrtunately, everyone is off and safely aboard a Norwegian Coastal Voyages ship, MS Nordnorge.

At least it wasn't her sister ship, the MS Nordkapp  Smile

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16901659

Once again, MS Nordnorge came to the rescue  Smile

Quoting BilgeRat (Reply 31):
Put simply, a "fist sized hole" should not sink a vessel of that size.

Either there was more to it than just a fist sized hole, or something was very wrong with how the crew dealt with the situation.

On board the Explorer, a blackout had been triggered by water rushing in, shutting down bilge pumps of the doomed ship, Hansen said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/world/5326807.html

Quoting Scooter01 (Reply 43):
-Imagine if there would have been a ship with 3 or 4 times as many people on board that this happened to?

Then 3 or 4 times as many people would have boarded 3 or 4 times as many lifeboats  Smile
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

wingnut767

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:39 am

Cruise Ship Sinks in Antarctica’s Record Breaking Ice Season

the accident happens in a period market by unusual cold in the southern hemisphere. Explorer hit the iceberg in the same week that we at MetSul Weather Center reported here at ICECAP about major problems in the Brazilian Antarctic Base of Comandante Ferraz due to the excessive amount of ice and snow surrounding the installation that was preventing local researchers of getting fresh water in the nearby lakes. For months we have been reporting and commenting here at ICECAP about South America’s very harsh winter in 2007 with snowfall events and temperature averages not seen in decades. Last month, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign’s Polar Research Group indicated the southern hemisphere’s sea ice area reached 16.17 million square kilometers, narrowly breaking the old record of 16.03 million square kilometers. The record data goes back to 1979.

http://icecap.us/index.php/go/joes-blog

Seems like the extreme cold weather had something to do with the Accident. Al Gore is not going to be happy with this
Yakum purkan min shmaya

Scooter01

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:43 am

It was only pure luck and good weather that saved all these people

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 46):

At least the "Nordkapp" had struck land and was in no danger of sinking in deep water.

Again -the shipwrecked people were resqued by another Cruise-ship

Then 3 or 4 times as many people would have boarded 3 or 4 times as many lifeboats

-in high seas and rough weather that appeared a few hours later and preventing the transfer of the shipwrecked people to King George Island?

As far as I understand, there was also a couple of days before an air-lift out of there by the
Chilean Air-force could be arranged

Scooter01

MDorBust

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:10 am

Quoting Alessandro (Reply 40):
Halls, yes, but a conventional powered ship with highest icebreaking security would be very expensive to run.
So that´s why they got nuclear icebreakers.

A nuclear reactor couldn't have done anything a steel plate and jack extendable crossbeam would have done... which is save the ship.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen