Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXspotter

RE: Australian Election Results

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 3):
John Howard will go down as one of the WORST PM's

checkmark 

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 5):
divided the country by using racial methods.

can you give some examples?

Quoting Klaus (Reply 16):
There is overwhelming evidence for it, and the case is still getting tighter

checkmark 

mariner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:39 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 38):
The best thing he did in 11 years was his concession speech.

I didn't think that was very good - comprehensive, certainly, but not very good. I felt it was something he had to do, had to get through, to prove that he wasn't a poor loser.

Equally, I didn't think Rudd's speech was a ball-breaker either, he's not an orator (which he admits). But somehow he communicates a remarkable decency.

I haven't lived permanently in Oz since 1987, and I spend more than half of of my time here in NZ now. But watching the election on Saturday night was like coming home to a place I deeply love, I thought the best of Australia ws on display.

I've hated to see the worst of Australia these past few years, from Tampa and the babies overboard through the appalling stuff with the Afghani's, and the crap that is Nauru (literally, of course, in the case of Nauru).

But Rudd was an enigma to me - until Saturday.

Like many, I have under-estimated Rudd. Someone described him as being "as interesting as a carpet", but if that's so, it is a complex Persian carpet, not a Berber rug.

After all, as Kevin Nerd the Coalition Slayer, he has destroyed the King, the Regent and the Heir Apparent - munching Iced Vo-Vo's all the while.

I started to understand him more today, in the press conference where he discussed the death of Bernie Banton. Rudd isn't an orator, but he is completely at home on tv, close-up, drawing me in.

It was odd to hear him talk of "passion" - he had seemed a bit passion-less - but today I had no doubt of it - a sort of mild-mannered but totally heartfelt passion?

Somehow, that nerdy charm disguises the neurons zapping out of his head, but today there was something more, beyond his quintessential decency. A sense of iron strength. Which he must have, of course, to have quelled the Labor party.

I loved the challenge he threw out to the Libs in the Upper House on the threat to block his IR legislation - again, absolutely mild-mannered - but totally resolute, the sense that he was challenging them to do it without revealing how he would play it if they did.

I felt that Kevin Nerd the Coalition Slayer was quite ready to bag a few more heads - and might enjoy it.

Quoting Cedars747 (Reply 39):
I am sure that the major reason for his defeat is Bushism

Sorry, no, I don't think so. In that sense, Bush played a very small role in this, if any. This was about Australia.

John Howard destroyed himself and his party - that he professes to love - all on the bonfire of his own vanity.

An old, arrogant, ruthless man, clinging to power at whatever cost, completely unaware of his own use-by date.

mariner

[Edited 2007-11-26 17:59:20]

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 50):
can you give some examples?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...tory/0,25197,22822665-7583,00.html

I did...try reading the article.

LAXspotter

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:51 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 52):

Thanks, he seems like a Bigot.

baroque

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 45):
I know in general who you're talking about, but I seem to be missing quite a bit of more recent context here... Could you please elaborate?

Garrett, who I personally think is a bit of a twit, made a not very concise statement that had at its guts the proposition that if you were going to negotiate limits to emissions from India and China, you needed to have agreed to some yourself, hence we should get aboard Kyoto. Perfectly sensible. HOWEVER, the message had two steps, one too many for an election message. Howard and his lads jumped on it and said Garrett wanted to give away the Australian position de dah de dah de dah. Rudd (neurons working swiftly) cut it down, Aus would not give anything away. Just a bit of dumb election logic - a bit like watching whirling dervishes.
Back in the real world, an update has it that when Rudd finds his pen, there is something he can do with Kyoto, but in any case it takes the UN about 2 to 3 months to accept a ratification!!!! How is them apples.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 51):
Quoting Baroque (Reply 38):
The best thing he did in 11 years was his concession speech.

I didn't think that was very good - comprehensive, certainly, but not very good. I felt it was something he had to do, had to get through, to prove that he wasn't a poor loser.

Check, Mariner, that was a faint praise job. I did not suppose that his concession speech was good, better than I thought it would be and still his best contrib in 11 years! If you like, I was alas  sarcastic  .

After all, as Kevin Nerd the Coalition Slayer, he has destroyed the King, the Regent and the Heir Apparent - munching Iced Vo-Vo's all the while.

Brilliant description, I like it.

John Howard destroyed himself and his party - that he professes to love - all on the bonfire of his own vanity.

See the banner headlines on today's SMH.
Libs told PM to go, but he wouldn't listen.

Strangely, I cannot find that story on the website but Gerard Henderson finally admits it at
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/i...ully/2007/11/26/1196036809908.html
If only he'd retired gracefully
Gerard Henderson November 27, 2007

I think Rudd is going to provide a few surprises, hopefully many of them will be pleasant. But he will not be all that much of Christmas come early. Hopefully, Keating - Howard - Rudd is not a uniform descent!!

For the record QF077, I will confess to voting for the bugger in 1996, not because I liked him, but because I was fed up with Keating. OK, I admit it, I should be more tolerant.  sorry 

Lastly, vale Bernie Banton for your work on compensation for asbestos diseases and helping destroy the now departed government.

mariner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 54):
I did not suppose that his concession speech was good, better than I thought it would be and still his best contrib in 11 years! If you like, I was alas    .

I think I understood that, but it made a good springboard.  Smile

I watched it mostly to see if he would crack, guessing he wouldn't. But I was astonished the pace by which he forced it through ("please, please..."), not giving his audience - the faithful there - the catharsis that they clearly wanted.

Presently, I'm intrigued by how Rudd with deal with the Senate threat. There is always a double dissolution, as you suggested. With the Libs in total disarray, the threat of it could work, unless Senatot Minchin is so totally arrogant he doesn't see it. But a double dissolution is a nuclear bomb, best kept until you absolutely need it.

And where does Senator Joyce stand in this? He has made mildly empathetic noises, about the IR bill.

Garrett, who I personally think is a bit of a twit,

Yes. One of my two question marks. He is the easy first for Environment, but did he blow it? Rudd is making clucking noises, but they don't sound all that encouraging.

And - assuming she has won - what happens to McKew? Someone described her as a heroine of Labor for decades to come, she's got the star-power. But Rudd is stressing apprenticeship.

On the other side, I am assuming Turnbull as leader. He seems like a decent bloke. I could get interested in poitics again with Rudd and Turnbull at the top.

The one that amazed me is Abbott, who has never seen a mirror he didn't love. He said that his great attribute is "people skills" (so much for any vision thing).

Given what happened between him and Bernie Banton, I think that Abbott is a man with a serious misconception of his own abilities.

mariner

baroque

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 55):
I watched it mostly to see if he would crack, guessing he wouldn't. But I was astonished the pace by which he forced it through ("please, please..."), not giving his audience - the faithful there - the catharsis that they clearly wanted.

A confession, I thought it would be such a shock to Howard we would have a repeat of the Fraser concession, so I recorded it. But Howard was more than businesslike, it almost like watching him execute himself.

And where does Senator Joyce stand in this? He has made mildly empathetic noises, about the IR bill.

A brilliant exponent of the principle of uncertainty is the old Barnaby. You can know where Barnaby is but not what he is doing, or think you know what he is doing but not where he is.

And - assuming she has won - what happens to McKew? Someone described her as a heroine of Labor for decades to come, she's got the star-power. But Rudd is stressing apprenticeship.

Ah, is she the apprentice, or bearing in mind the Hoggster, is she the real pro? Too high profile to be disappeared. My guess is special min of state assisting the PM. If you remember this was how Howard started Turnbull on water. Any other offers?

With the double diss, both sides know they will be covered head to toe in Greens, maybe even a Democrat brought back from the grave. I would like to see some useful position found for some of the ex Dems, some were really worth the space.

Given what happened between him and Bernie Banton, I think that Abbott is a man with a serious misconception of his own abilities.

rotfl   rotfl  Mind you, even that is an understatement! Not called the Mad Monk for nothing.

On the other side, I am assuming Turnbull as leader. He seems like a decent bloke. I could get interested in poitics again with Rudd and Turnbull at the top.

Assuming it is bad for Aus if the Libs have an awful leader, Turnbull seems the go. Just at present there is so much bad feeling towards the Libs (proxy for Howard and the Abbotts, Minchins, Reeths and Alstons), it is hard to get the concept of NEEDING a good opposition past the security filters in the brain!

Pip pip, as Pierpont used to say in the Fin Rev.

QANTAS077

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:09 am

Presently, I'm intrigued by how Rudd with deal with the Senate threat.

doubtful that it will happen, could always work against the Rudd government. I think this is just political noise from Minchin who has trouble reading the writing on the wall.

I hope they give it to Turnbull...if he gets beaten in 2010 it'll go down as a very short political career.  Wink

Strangely, I cannot find that story on the website but Gerard Henderson finally admits it

Henderson makes me want to vomit...read the GG today and look at them all change their tune, sickening!

For the record QF077, I will confess to voting for the bugger in 1996, not because I liked him, but because I was fed up with Keating.

I never tired of Keating, I never voted for Howard in his 11 years, NEVER, EVER!  Wink

baroque

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 57):
For the record QF077, I will confess to voting for the bugger in 1996, not because I liked him, but because I was fed up with Keating.

I never tired of Keating, I never voted for Howard in his 11 years, NEVER, EVER!

OK OK, I did get the message that even Keating was preferable a while ago!!  Big grin

At least I do admit the error, unlike either Keating OR Howard!

I do worse than vomit over Henderson so it was OK to read him eating some humble pie.

Pity no Matt Price for a few apposite witticisms. Have to make do with Ross Gittins.

Klaus

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:16 pm

Garrett, who I personally think is a bit of a twit, made a not very concise statement that had at its guts the proposition that if you were going to negotiate limits to emissions from India and China, you needed to have agreed to some yourself, hence we should get aboard Kyoto. Perfectly sensible. HOWEVER, the message had two steps, one too many for an election message. Howard and his lads jumped on it and said Garrett wanted to give away the Australian position de dah de dah de dah. Rudd (neurons working swiftly) cut it down, Aus would not give anything away. Just a bit of dumb election logic - a bit like watching whirling dervishes.

Ah, okay... I hadn't known much about his political career and had only known him from the early MTV years... I found more about him on Wikipedia, though: Peter Garrett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interesting career, in any case!

Back in the real world, an update has it that when Rudd finds his pen, there is something he can do with Kyoto, but in any case it takes the UN about 2 to 3 months to accept a ratification!!!!

For a global bureaucracy that's actually not too shabby! Big grin

How is them apples.

Excellent!

baroque

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:34 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 59):
How is them apples.

Excellent!

When Rudd gets his paws on the machinery of government, it will be interesting to see how quickly what happens. Back in 1972, Whitlam and his deputy acted as a duovirate for a week or two and did quite a bit. Not too many mistakes either at that stage.

No doubt the memory is still there in the ALP. But it appears he will appoint a ministry at the end of the week, so perhaps no excuse for the Kev and Jules show.

Meanwhile he has sent all his members off to visit at least two schools in their electorates, and has now followed this up with a visit to the homeless. Both worthy starts, but I wonder what comes next. Visit to a place with pokies (poker or fruit machines for those not in Aus) and return with a report on problem gamblers to cut Nick Xenophon off at the Pass of Thermopylae.
Non Aus members might need to consult:
http://www.xen.net.au/
For a laugh, try
http://www.xen.net.au/images/gallery/index1.html

However, pokies really are a problem, I am being supportive rather than knocking him. Although if pokies were banned, numerous clubs would probably fold, not to mentions state governments deprived of revenue.

But lots of fun to come!!

mariner

Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:00 pm

I very much hope that PM Rudd restores Canberra to its proper place in the national psyche.

"Canberra" was and is a concept, a symbol - among other things, that there is more to Australia than Sydney. They ruined a perfectly good sheep station in the process, but most politicans have understood that basic concept, even if some resented it.

By using the The Lodge as a hotel near the office and making Kirribilli House his official residence, Howard reinforced the idea that Australia is really, finally, all about Sydney.

Which doesn't do anyone any good - neither the rest of Australia, nor Sydney.

So I very much hope that the new PM understands the power of the concept that Canberra could and should be and returns to The Lodge.

mariner

baroque

Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 61):
So I very much hope that the new PM understands the power of the concept that Canberra could and should be and returns to The Lodge.

If not, the next most likely spot seems to be the school in Nambour. I think we can rest assured once Janette is removed - could be tricky - the Rudds will be in Canberra. Sydney is the last spot that Rudd would want to be domiciled.

Probably Rudd is going to be the guy who actually puts the clock back wrt some aspects of public life - one hopes ministerial responsibility. The issue of hiding behind staff is interesting to see how it plays out. In theory it should be out of the window on Friday. We shall see.

QANTAS077

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:16 am

you should see the desiccated coconuts on other forums attacking anything with Rudd's name on it, god its funny to watch the Liberals implode in such a humiliating fashion!

baroque

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:07 am

I just received a spam with this title:
Subject: Massive Price Reduction Liberal Assortment Curatives

However, it turns out to be a spam for the usual Canadian pharmaceuticals, and there was me thing that it was LR's headache pills.

Chaos reigns supreme in certain quarters. So much for the strength of Howard's team. How did that guy rule - is there a special Liberal gestapo that used to go round with thumscrews? It now appears that not only did very few like him, very few actually believed in many of the policies. But he just trundled on like an unguided missile. Extraordinary.

baroque

Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:55 pm

Anyone notice the dead rat in the lead in to "The Chaser decides"?

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:54 am

Dr Nelson wins the leadership dual by 3 votes..lol!

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:17 am

At a glance

*Education, Employment and Workplace relations: Julia Gillard

*Treasurer: Wayne Swan

*Finance: Lindsay Tanner

*Foreign affairs: Stephen Smith

*Defence: Joel Fitzgibbon

*Attorney-General: Robert McClelland

*Cabinet secretary: John Faulkner

*Health and ageing: Nicola Roxon

*Families, Housing, Community services and Indigenous affairs: Jenny Macklin

*Environment, Heritage and The Arts: Peter Garrett

*Climate change and Water: Penny Wong

*Trade: Simon Crean

*Infrastructure, Transport, Regional development and Local government: Anthony Albanese

*Resources, Energy and Tourism: Martin Ferguson

*Agriculture, fisheries and forestry: Tony Burke

*Human services: Joseph Ludwig

*Innovation, Industry, Science and research: Kim Carr

*Home affairs : Bob Debus

*Broadband communications and digital economy: Stephen Conroy

*Defence, Science and Personnel: Warren Snowdon

*Workforce participation: Brendan O'Connor

*Superannuation and Corporate law: Nick Sherry

*Small business: Craig Emerson

*Ageing: Justine Elliot

*Housing and Status of women: Tanya Plibersek

*Youth and sport: Kate Ellis

*Veteran affairs: Alan Griffin

Parliamentary secretaries:

*Secretary to the Prime Minister, Early childhood education and childcare: Maxine McKew

*Parliamentary secretary to the Prime Minister: Anthony Byrne

*Defence procurement: Greg Combet

*Defence: Mike Kelly

*Infrastructure - Northern and regional Australia: Gary Gray

*Disabilities and children services: Bill Shorten

*Multicultural affairs and settlement programs:Laurie Ferguson

*International development assistance: Bob McMullan

*Pacific relations Duncan Kerr

*Social inclusion: Ursula Stephens

*Trade: John Murphy

the new front bench...

baroque

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:36 am

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 66):
Dr Nelson wins the leadership dual by 3 votes..lol!

A good position to be able to give some answers to the hard questions about recent Aus defence purchases I suppose.

The (new) Ministers rather give the lie to the weak team accusation.

Sounds as if Headmaster Rudd will insist on delivery.

Would have liked to see Faulkner as the Minister for Defriends. He would have given that Dept merry hell. Might still do so of course. CabSec could end up being the most powerful position in the land, bar none, esp with that guy's forensic mind.

7 women, spose it is an improvement on none! Potentially powerful lot of Parl Secs. Odds on how long before 50% of Maxie, Shorten, Combet and Gray are in cabinet?

Also how long to the first Lib leadership challenge?

QANTAS077

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Baroque (Reply 68):

that's exactly what I was thinking...Abbott hasn't ruled out running before, Turnbull won't be silent for long, so its all a matter of time.  Wink

Nelson is a "me too" man, now agreeing with Kyoto being signed.

bill142

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:50 am

Nelson is a sacrificial lamb. Turnbull will challenge 18-12 months prior to the next election.

baroque

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:32 am

Quoting Bill142 (Reply 70):

Nelson is a sacrificial lamb. Turnbull will challenge 18-12 months prior to the next election.

It might be my "Chaser trained mind" but while the TV cameras were taking the Boy Scout with previous leaders in the background, they managed to emphasise photographs of Snedden and Peacock. Just coincidence, maybe but could also be lining up the lamb for the ritual throat slitting - presumably while facing Mecca so the meat is available to the whole community.

Nelson's first probs might come re dissections of his "work" at Defence and Ed, especially if the Universities get their presence of mind back again and ask for compulsory facility fees to be reintroduced. No need to mention er um unions - I never said that!! Julia, what is your will on that?

baroque

Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:28 pm

Priceless. From the letters SMH for 30 Nov 2007

"Pot calls kettle black. Former ALP member and unionist now leads Libs.

Bruce Dudon Mount Macedon (Vic)"

mariner

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:49 pm

For anyone who studies human folly, this week has been a feast, with buzz words embraced willy-nilly and Byzantine reasons given as to why Labor has a mandate in one area (Kyoto) but not in another (IR).

I laughed at this comment by Michele Grattan in The Age:

"On Monday they will elect the competent but unexciting Warren Truss as leader. Mark Vaile said, when he stepped down on Monday, that he wanted to provide the opportunity for generational change. In the Nationals, generational change means replacing a 51-year-old with a 59-year-old."

Smile

mariner

baroque

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 73):
For anyone who studies human folly, this week has been a feast, with buzz words embraced willy-nilly and Byzantine reasons given as to why Labor has a mandate in one area (Kyoto) but not in another (IR).

In a similar vein, Peter Hartcher in SMH for 30 Nov has an article likening Howard's campaign to the US attack on Kiska, which the Japanese had evacuated some days (I thought weeks) prior to the attack. Unhappily the link does not show the cartoon with Howard attacking piloting one of a flock of cartoon "Mustangs" while Rudd is sipping fruit drink on a distant tropical island.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/h...iska/2007/11/29/1196037070449.html

TSV

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:29 am

"Labor's national secretary and election campaign manager, Tim Gartrell"

After watching this bloke speaking at the NPC I can fully understand Keating's "West Wing" comment.

This "speech" - and the mention of the name Mike Kaiser - well that started the clock ticking for this Labor government ...

Get over yourselves quickly guys if you want to stay in power for more than the Whitlam government did - I'm afraid this was another case of a Drover's Dog / Unloseable Election (although not reinforced by the Libs). Let's see if Rudd has learned a lesson from what happened to his former master Wayne Goss. Time will tell.

QANTAS077

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:54 am

Quoting TSV (Reply 75):
This "speech" - and the mention of the name Mike Kaiser - well that started the clock ticking for this Labor government ...

lol...now I've read some bullshit about the result before, but this just about takes the cake, biscuits and any other goodies on the table.

TSV

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:22 pm

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 76):
now I've read some bullshit about the result before

... and as that obviously includes reading your own posts I'm doing pretty well to top that. So you'd obviously give very long odds that this will be a one term only government?

Speaking of Kaiser the Labor Party in Queensland has such high standards it brings him back!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22885712-3102,00.html

So this is the Party that was so high and mighty about "jobs for the boys" back in Joh's days! Just proves that all Pollys are tarred with the same brush.

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:31 am

VICTORY!!

(In more ways than one  Wink )

QFF

Klaus

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 78):
VICTORY!!

Picture a slightly puzzled janitor looking at you while sweeping the last remains of the celebration away...!  cool 

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:50 am

The party has been ongoing, Klaus. We don't get a change of government (let alone one this INSPIRED) very often.

Don't rain on my parade. Just don't.

Klaus

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 80):
The party has been ongoing, Klaus. We don't get a change of government (let alone one this INSPIRED) very often.

Don't rain on my parade. Just don't.

Oh, I absolutely sympathize - the image was just too overpowering...! Big grin

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:11 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 81):
Oh, I absolutely sympathize - the image was just too overpowering...!

One thing's for sure, that cleaner can now go to bed at night assured of his/her rights at work. Yay!

Klaus

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 82):
One thing's for sure, that cleaner can now go to bed at night assured of his/her rights at work. Yay!

Fantastic! Long live the revolution!  cool 

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 83):
Fantastic! Long live the revolution!

And the republic of course. I've been back for a few hours and I only just mentioned it. What's happened to me??

baroque

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Klaus (Reply 83):
Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 82):

Fantastic! Long live the revolution!

Well I think it is going to live longer than TSV expects, but a Revolution it ain't gonna be. Pity in some ways, but maybe Aus is now a bit old for a real revolution, or then again too young.

At least things are different and in the shake up, surely some things will get better. Rudd looks like working his government harder for starters, and that cannot be all bad. At least the states and Rudd are talking and not threatening which has to be better.

Pity Rudd has to wait for the Garnaut report before doing something about fuel policies.

Interesting times with Hicks and Haneef too. It will be interesting to see if the cases for compo from all the exports and illegal imprisonments are speeded up. I just wish Ruddock, Vanstone and Andrews had to chip in to the funds personally.

The new code of Min conduct will be interesting to follow. You do have to wonder why a number of ministers find a relatively simple code so difficult to follow.

The cartoonists are having a more difficult time, except with drawing Nelson full of knives.

Do we need a new thread, "Is Rudd doing anything - if so then what?" ?

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am

Give him time, Baroque - he's done an extraordinary amount considering he was elected less than a month ago.

Howard was right, the country has changed. And how sweet it is.

QFF

QANTAS077

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:44 pm

and this is one decision that I'm happy with...Andrews should be hung, drawn and quartered for making him a political scape goat!

Quote:

Cosima Marriner and Sarah Smiles
December 22, 2007

FORMER terrorism suspect Mohamed Haneef is free to return to Australia after the Federal Court yesterday dismissed former immigration minister Kevin Andrews' appeal against the decision to reinstate the Indian doctor's visa.

But the new Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, has reserved the right to change the Migration Act and potentially mount his own appeal to the High Court.

A full bench of the Federal Court, sitting in Melbourne, yesterday unanimously upheld Justice Jeffrey Spender's ruling in August that Mr Andrews had misinterpreted the Migration Act's character test when he cancelled Dr Haneef's visa in July.

The judgement, which effectively reinstates Dr Haneef's visa, could have implications for other migrants who have had their visas revoked on similar grounds.

Dr Haneef can return to Australia after Senator Evans decided not to cancel his 457 (temporary long stay) visa, which permitted him to work here as a doctor.

Senator Evans said he was not inclined to pursue an appeal to the High Court at this stage but reserved the right to change his mind. "Should any further relevant information come to light in relation to Dr Haneef, I will re-examine the situation at that time," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...51.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

baroque

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 86):
Give him time, Baroque - he's done an extraordinary amount considering he was elected less than a month ago.

The suggestion was not born of impatience, just tidiness and a regard for the fact that the results of the election are now known, but what Rudd actually does do is also a matter of constructive (I hope) interest. Apparently he is testing flak jackets tonight.

Quoting QANTAS077 (Reply 87):
and this is one decision that I'm happy with...Andrews should be hung, drawn and quartered for making him a political scape goat!

Yes, well nice idea QF077, but we are rather hoping that Rudd is going to take a stronger stance against capital punishment and in any case the way to punish a Lib would be to take his money. So leaving them open to being sued would be better, but I fear that will not fly either. And with our libel laws, not much chance there. Although you never know, Andrews is silly enough to repeat some of that junk out of privilege.