KevinSmith
Topic Author

Help! Need To Know How To Install Hard Drive

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:19 pm

Long story short I fried the pentium 4 in my computer because I didn't dust. Hard drive is still good. How do I install my hard drive into another computer?

Thanks for any help
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

deltagator

RE: Help! Need To Know How To Install Hard Drive

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Thread starter):
How do I install my hard drive into another computer?

With a screwdriver?  Wink

Seriously, you should be able to just put the hard drive from one PC to another and let Windows go through its Plug 'N Pray process to discover new hardware. It's not the ideal way and far from perfect but it will do in a bind. I've used this practice off and on since Windows95 days so it does work although your mileage may vary.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

N74JW

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:30 pm

If the 'plug n pray' process does not completely detect everything, start Windows in Safe Mode, and let it perform hardware detection that way.
rm -r *

Gemuser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 1):
Seriously, you should be able to just put the hard drive from one PC to another and let Windows go through its Plug 'N Pray process to discover new hardware. It's not the ideal way and far from perfect but it will do in a bind

Unfortunatly that wont work, assuming it's your windows (C: ) drive and you are running XP, if the computer you transfer it to has a different make/model of motherboard. Wndows will assume you are installing it on a second machine and refuse to boot. Same thing happens if you have to replace your PC's motherboard. Stupid copy protection sh*t!

You can install it on another PC, as long as that PC has an installed copy of Windows and you run the transferred drive as a slave or on the secondary channel. That way your copy of Win does not boot but you can still get your data off.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

moo

Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 3):
Unfortunatly that wont work, assuming it's your windows (C: ) drive and you are running XP, if the computer you transfer it to has a different make/model of motherboard. Wndows will assume you are installing it on a second machine and refuse to boot. Same thing happens if you have to replace your PC's motherboard. Stupid copy protection sh*t!

And all you do then is reactivate it - a 2 minute practically hassle free job, especially if you have an internet connection (takes a little longer, about 10 minutes, over the phone).

Done it dozens of times, never had a reactivation denied.

KevinSmith
Topic Author

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:26 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

Next question. If I get a replacement processor is it "plug and play"?
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

trvyyz

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:39 pm

Long story short I fried the pentium 4 in my computer because I didn't dust.

How do you know if its the Processor and not MB?

helvknight

Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:59 pm

Another thing you can do is to get a USB HDD box from somewhere like Frys or Compusa (or even possibly Radio Shack) and put the old HDD in that. You just need a screwdriver or possibly a Torx bit.

Once that is done plug it in the new PC and let plug and pray do its work, you'll then have the data on the second drive available with a larger drive.
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member - Groucho Marx

mham001

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Helvknight (Reply 7):

Once that is done plug it in the new PC and let plug and pray do its work, you'll then have the data on the second drive available with a larger drive.

Doesn't work without the proper MBR (Master Boot Record) Simple copying won't do it.

mham001

Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 5):

Next question. If I get a replacement processor is it "plug and play"?

Yes.
A new motherboard is not much problem either.

moo

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 8):
Doesn't work without the proper MBR (Master Boot Record) Simple copying won't do it.

Putting it into an external casing works fine - the MBR only comes into play if you are booting from the drive, and in Helvknights post you aren't doing that but using the disk as a second passive data disk.

That said, you should also be able to boot from the disk as well if the motherboard supports booting from USB, as the MBR would still be valid for that device.

There are many applications out there (gparted comes to mind as a free example) that will do a bit level copy of a device, MBR included, for a perfect 100% copy.

mham001

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 10):
Putting it into an external casing works fine - the MBR only comes into play if you are booting from the drive, and in Helvknights post you aren't doing that but using the disk as a second passive data disk.

Yes I see that now. I thought he was advising to copy the old onto the new. If our hapless poster tries to just copy windows and all onto the new disk, it won't work.

Quoting Moo (Reply 10):
There are many applications out there (gparted comes to mind as a free example) that will do a bit level copy of a device, MBR included, for a perfect 100% copy.

I've had 0 results trying that with 3 Thinkpad discs and the software that came with my USB HDD enclosure. I keep hearing wild rumors though that it can be done.....in the end though, probably better off with a new install anyway.

Fly2HMO

Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:46 pm

because I didn't dust

I vacuum my computer at least once every 3 months, with special emphasis on heat sinks. Never had any problems.

I'm surprised nobody has asked this but do you know what kind on connector it has? SATA or ATA?

ATA:

SATA:

I'm guessing ATA, but if you got SATA, then things get a wee bit more complicated.

dan2002

Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:32 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 12):
I vacuum my computer at least once every 3 months, with special emphasis on heat sinks. Never had any problems.

That isn't a very good idea because of the amount of static it generates. Those little cans of compressed air are where its at.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

Gemuser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 4):
And all you do then is reactivate it - a 2 minute practically hassle free job, especially if you have an internet connection (takes a little longer, about 10 minutes, over the phone).

I envie you! MS has strict limits on reactivation in Oz (3 times I think). Also doesn't work if you don't have a standard retail version, which SOME OEM versions are not.

Gemuser
DC23468910;B72172273373G73873H74374475275376377L77W;A319 320321332333343;BAe146;C402;DHC6;F27;L188;MD80MD85

moo

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 14):
I envie you! MS has strict limits on reactivation in Oz (3 times I think). Also doesn't work if you don't have a standard retail version, which SOME OEM versions are not.

I've never heard or experienced that, reactivation on all versions is unlimited (OEM, retail upgrade and retail full), with the proviso that if you attempt reactivation too many times then you will have to discuss the matter with an MS call centre operator who is really just making sure you aren't shipping one copy of XP on every system you sell. I have had online activations fail (customers PC where a cowboy 15 year old had reinstalled it 4 times in a week while changing hardware before I was asked to take a look at it), but the call centre was very helpful and not at all discriminating.

OEM versions can come 'pre authenticated', meaning that if XP is reset to the OEM delivered spec then it won't need activating, but if hardware is changed (as it would be in this case) it will require activation as per other versions. It is up to the vendor if they wish to do this.

Also note that OEM versions typically cannot legally be moved between computers - they are licensed to the computer you bought it with only. This does not mean you cannot activate it with a different motherboard et al.

If your online activation fails, simply call the call centre number and activate it through there - works a treat.

Dougloid

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:41 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 3):

Seriously, you should be able to just put the hard drive from one PC to another and let Windows go through its Plug 'N Pray process to discover new hardware. It's not the ideal way and far from perfect but it will do in a bind

that's good in theory but I have to tell you with all due deference you're absolutely wrong-o, incorrecto and not right to boot.

Look here.

I bought a Dell 360 workstation surplus from Iowa State University surplus a month ago, sans the drives and memory. It was a box with a board, P-IV 2.8 Prescott processor, a floppy drive, a power supply and a Zip drive which got tossed. All of which cost me $55.

I took the CD read/write drive, the 120gb hard drive, and the DVD reader from out of my 1999 vintage IBM Aptiva 2174 with the AMD processor and installed all those parts in the Dell 360. I ordered up 1 gb of memory, and installed the audio card from the IBM and the cable because my drives are pretty old.

Worked like a dream right from startup, and the Windows update on the internet took exactly one minute. I couldn't believe it was that easy. It recognized all the different hardware as well with no problems. It's running XP home which was installed as an upgrade for W98SE in the original IBM machine.

You may also be interested to know that the 120 gb hard drive came from a defunct TiVO receiver. I also took the DVD read-write drive from the defunct TiVO and installed it into my Dell Dimension 4600 machine and I didn't even have to install drivers....worked right from the beginning with no trouble at all.

I donwnloaded a free trial copy of Acronis True Image to mirror the original contents of the 17 gb original IBM hard drive onto the new one. Worked like a dream as well.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

Dougloid

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:47 pm

Long story short I fried the pentium 4 in my computer because I didn't dust.

Dude, do you have something like a Persian cat living next to your computer? It takes a lot to dust one up that bad....course, a good mat of cat fur over the intake could do it. I usually blow the dead bats out of my computers with an air compressor that I have in the garage.

I would get myself a temperature monitoring program and form the habit of taking a look at your processor, board and HDD temps everyt now and again.

Gemuser

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:48 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 16):
that's good in theory but I have to tell you with all due deference you're absolutely wrong-o, incorrecto and not right to boot.

Consider your self lucky! While anything to do with Windows and hardware is a crap shoot, more often than not such things dont work. I supect that the age of your equipment was workinging for you, this time.

Gemuser

Dougloid

Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting Gemuser (Reply 18):
Consider your self lucky! While anything to do with Windows and hardware is a crap shoot, more often than not such things dont work. I supect that the age of your equipment was workinging for you, this time.

Well, I'd rather be lucky than good. The IBM is/was a 1999 vintage Aptiva 2174 (it's a nice ATX case so that's in the hopper for the next build project) and the Dell 360 was built in September 2004. The Dimension was built in March 2004.

Fly2HMO

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 13):
Those little cans of compressed air are where its at.

I avoid the cans because the vacuum is free, and I ground myself to the chassis while vacuuming, so its no problem.

Sometimes I sit at my computer and touch the mouse and next thing I hear is a loud snap, and the mouse goes dead. So to solve that I grabbed a wire from the grounding outlet in the wall and put it in an accessible location where I can touch it (but indirectly with a steel ruler to avoid the pain!) . No more mouse pooping out, but lately I've been making huge sparks, some over an inch long. Needles to say that would've hurt had I touched the wire directly.

It's a must have for anybody living in a house with thick carpet.

Dougloid

Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:05 am

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 20):
Sometimes I sit at my computer and touch the mouse and next thing I hear is a loud snap, and the mouse goes dead. So to solve that I grabbed a wire from the grounding outlet in the wall and put it in an accessible location where I can touch it (but indirectly with a steel ruler to avoid the pain!) . No more mouse pooping out, but lately I've been making huge sparks, some over an inch long. Needles to say that would've hurt had I touched the wire directly.

It's a must have for anybody living in a house with thick carpet.

That's kind of interesting. We get a lot of static here especially in the winter when it gets dry, and when I rub my cat's fur I can hear the static pops through my am radio. Although I admit that using compressed air from my garage compressor is a mite edgy it has not yet caused damage to the equipment. I think it may be because I use short blasts of air. It has surely made my laptop work a lot better by frequent cleanings in this fashion.

BR715-A1-30

Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:14 am

With a screwdriver?

My Dell XPS is just snap in... No tools required

Windows go through its Plug 'N Pray process

Oh great, so now Windows is pushing the religious malarkey  Wink
Puhdiddle

Fly2HMO

Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 21):
Although I admit that using compressed air from my garage compressor is a mite edgy it has not yet caused damage to the equipment.

That's the best way to do it. I used to have access to an industrial compressor that was set at over 250psi. needless to say it got the job done and then some.

Oh and its fun to blow on the fans with that pressure and just hear them scream like jet engines Big grin

(No I haven't busted any fans that way, and I've done that often to clean them)

Klaus

Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):
That's the best way to do it. I used to have access to an industrial compressor that was set at over 250psi. needless to say it got the job done and then some.

Be very careful with that - you can damage various components with pressurized air as powerful as that!

Dougloid

Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:34 pm

Quoting Klaus (Reply 24):
Quoting FLY2HMO (Reply 23):

Be very careful with that - you can damage various components with pressurized air as powerful as that!

Seriously. Mine's regulated down to 125 psi and I usually hold the air nozzle about two feet away.