Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

miamix707

RE: UK Teacher Arrested For Allowing Teddy Mohammed

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 132):
Just a Friday funny to interject so we can laugh...

ROFL "Acmed" -the dead terrorist- was the bomb (pardon the pun)

Quoting RJAF (Reply 127):
Its very simple..WWIII will be between the civilzed world and radical Islam.

checkmark 

Quoting Baroque (Reply 124):
Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 22):
IMO this sounds like some kind of exaggeration since this "news" happened n Indonesia of all places, a country where christians are often persecuted.

You will have to remind me MIAMIx707, apparently the persecutions I have received in Indonesia were so severe that I have clean forgotten them. Not that I am actually Christian, but being from a Western country and having a longish nose and a rather pale skin, luckily most Indonesians probably think I am a Christian rather than that other more dreadful option.

Ah what an awesome example by Baroque, his own example no less! Seriously just do a quick google search on the subject, churches burned, death threats to families, etc but hey, you didn't experience it so it must not exist  Yeah sure Perhaps it was obvious you were no Christian missionary, they aren't dumb.

It's possible they said look, liberal white guy from NZ here to do some "missionary" work and might even pay for it  duck  let's not blow him up just yet Acmed!

PA110

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:00 am

There are already numerous blogs from within Sudan and across the entire Islamic world, expressing disbelief and complete embarrassment over the Sudan government's handling of this matter. I think this is a classic case of illiterate masses being allowed to run wild (or more likely purposefully stirred up) either by the government itself, or radical clerics who might have their own agenda.

baroque

RE: UK Teacher Arrested For Allowing Teddy Mohamme

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 150):
Ah what an awesome example by Baroque, his own example no less! Seriously just do a quick google search on the subject, churches burned, death threats to families, etc but hey, you didn't experience it so it must not exist

I am familiar with what has happened in Poso and in Ambon. If you check a little further, you will find that both sides have been involved in what has been a very brutal form of civil war. One problem has been that parts of the Government have not been neutral in the disputes.

Aside from those disputes, JI has had some bombing campaigns, but then according to your concept they have been persecuting hotels, embassies and dance halls.

It appears that in those (JI associated) disputes the Governmental agencies have generally also not been neutral, but have started to wrap up JI moderately effectively.

You used the word often. I was rather suggesting that localized might be more appropriate. If you have personal experience of this persecution, I would like to hear about it. Maybe something can be done.

Otherwise, perhaps you might like to consider the opinions of those with first hand experience of whether as a non-Muslim you are, or are not persecuted in Indonesia.

What is very clear is that in a CYA exercise, the extent of violence in a number of places in the world is exaggerated by governments in their travel warnings. The press do the same, because it sells the media outlets.

For the last three years, travel warnings from the Aus DFAT have been most strident for Indonesia whereas they are very subdued for the UK. In statistical terms, the UK has been more dangerous. Not that I would be concerned to travel to the UK. In any event, your chances of meeting a violent death are greater in the USA than in either of these countries - and you do not even have to give a teddy bear the wrong name to have that fate.

None of which takes away from the awful happenings in Central Sulawesi and what should be a most idyllic spot, Ambon. While the fighting has been between Christian and Muslim communities, the reasons are more social and political than religious. They hold lessons for what happens when a strict dictatorship is felled overnight while a pervasive set of armed forces remains in power. These lessons will not be understood if viewed simply as persecution of a minority.

miamix707

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:56 am

sorry coudln't help to comment on this one

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 144):
oooops, sorry, you think about "their beliiiieeefs" ? I think that "their beliefs" is a few Sudanese Pounds paid to them by some government agents after the rally when they get carried home.

Your views are about as moderate as they get compared to the norm in the Arab world and yet you can't be honest for once and say how your fellow muslims/islamists are getting beyond ridiculous. It might be insignificant to you but from me you'll get much more respect when you recognize this and stop trying to come up with apologies for everything they do. These apologies make you look almost as bad as those islamist barbarians.

This isn't your typical political protest, this is people chanting death threats all because the name given to a toy bear... A sea of people wishing of death to a poor woman who's there to help their own neanderthal society that is Sudan since Bashir coudln't care less.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Only animals do this.

wingnut767

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:04 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 146):
Quoting Cfalk (Reply 145):
Radical Islam is becoming the Naziism of the 21st century.

And we are surrounded by Neville Chamberlains, unfortunately.

They are not called Chamberlains in the U.S. We just call them Democrats

jmc1975

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 153):
Your views are about as moderate as they get compared to the norm in the Arab world and yet you can't be honest for once and say how your fellow muslims/islamists are getting beyond ridiculous. It might be insignificant to you but from me you'll get much more respect when you recognize this and stop trying to come up with apologies for everything they do. These apologies make you look almost as bad as those islamist barbarians.

This isn't your typical political protest, this is people chanting death threats all because the name given to a toy bear... A sea of people wishing of death to a poor woman who's there to help their own neanderthal society that is Sudan since Bashir coudln't care less.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Only animals do this.

Very well said!

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:57 pm

Are you saying that these demonstrations have nothing to do with Islam?

absolutely. To argue that Islam is opposed to a Teddy-Bear be named Mohammed is so completely nonsensical and ridiculous that it it completely clear that it is just a pretense

Then why are the same sort of hateful demonstrations happening in Indonesia, Pakistan and dozens of other countries where the government has no desire for this sort of thing.

You mix up different topics on here. And hateful demonstrations also happen elsewhere.

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 148):
he wouldn't need to create an international furor over one teacher in an embarrassingly stupid incident that makes his country look plain foolish. He would have simply (and much more quietly I imagine) banned western female teachers from continuing to enter the country.

NO;, he could NOT have done any such ban without running into political problems. The way via a political row disguised as a "religious" problem is EXACTLY what he needed.

apologies

idiocy canNOT be apologized but analysed --- and analysis can lead to the conclusion that it is not idiocy but the weird way of a dictatorship to solve a problem

people chanting death threats all because the name given to a toy bear...

no, not because of that Teddy Bear be named Mohammed but because they were hired to chant and demonstrate
-

baroque

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 157):
I feel bad for people who get persecuted there because while you state I have a better chance of "getting killed in the USA", I know where not to go in the USA, but the poor Indonesian Christians might not be able to control whether they get harassed or not.

That is just the point. Most Christians in Indonesia are now in no danger at all. Some Muslims have attacked some Christians in some areas, is getting translated to all Muslims attack all Christians. It just is not the case.
Attacks in Jakarta were not a simple matter of attacking Christians, they started with attacks on night clubs (rather than the occupants) where alcohol was served and AFAIK, attacks on churches occurred later. I think that there have been no attacks on churches outside Ambon and Central Sulawesi for at least 3 years ago.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 158):
"Keep on fighting for the application of Islamic law. If this state and nation wants to become great, safe, and at peace then it has to return to Islam one hundred percent without bargaining. If not, then it will be destroyed."

Abu Bakar Bashir, spiritual leader of the Indonesian Mujahideen

What he said was:
"Perjuangkan terus penegakan hukum Islam. Jika negara dan bangsa ini ingin menjadi besar, aman dan tenteram maka harus kembali kepada Islam seratus persen tanpa tawar-menawar. Jika tidak mau, pasti akan hancur."

Definitely, not one of my favourite people Abu Bakar B, however as is often the case, a little bit of mistranslation goes a long way.
"Perjuangkan terus.".. is better translated as "Keep up the struggle"... rather than keep on fighting. This error is similar to equating Jihad with fight. It can mean fight, but mostly it does not. Perjuangkan is definitely NOT fighting.

As he has also said post his imprisonment,
Re Noordin M Top
"I say to them that they are martyrs who have taken the wrong path. It's not permitted to use weapons or bombs in a land that is at peace.
(Saya katakan mereka itu mujahid yang salah jalan. Tidak boleh berjuang dengan menggunakan senjata ataupun bom di wilayah damai.)"

AND

"Using bombs in peaceful areas is not allowed.
(Menggunakan senjata bom di wilayah yang aman tidak dibenarkan.)"

I have provided the Indonesian orginals in the hope that one of our Indonesian members will comment directly.
http://www.indonesiamatters.com/449/abu-bakar-bashir/

He is a wily and unpleasant bugger, but there is not much point exaggerating what he actually said. What he meant is a bigger worry. The additional quotes suggest the leopard might have changed his spots.

But it is the old Jawanese shadow puppet show. And the Indonesians themselves are much better at understanding what is happening.

It is probable that Bakar did head JI at the time of the Bali bombing, and it is also probable that there is now a split between those like him who appear to have worked out that killing a majority of Indonesians in attacks is counter-productive and the followers of Top.

As for his court case, the evidence was not strong, the case was brought too early and almost certainly the US refused to provide prisoners who could have produced critical evidence. Why did they do that? Three reasons seem to be involved.
1. The US and Aus were sure that if they told Indonesia loudly enough that Bashir was bad, he would be jailed. True, but the appeals court more or less worked properly and he was let out.
2. The US kept folk like Hambali because it judges its interests are way way ahead of those of Indonesia.
3. It is almost certain Hambali and others have been tortured and in open court they might mention this.

Moral of the case, if you are going to prosecute a wily old B like Bashir, make sure you do it properly. Incompetence in relation to the law is pretty much unforgivable.

Bashir I happen to know about, I wonder how many others of the quotation Cfalk would turn out not to be exactly as you have indicated?

lobster

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 am

baroque

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:11 am

Quoting Lobster (Reply 161):
She was just pardoned. No jail time.

A small blow for sanity - at last!

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:27 am

Radical Islam is absolute in its complete and total intolerance of any thought, idea, or action, imagined or real, intended or accidental t

But radical Islam is NOT in power in Khartoum, it is simply a military dictator

Name one non-Islamic country where crowds yell "Death to _____".

A few years ago, crowds in demonstrations in Spain threatened local Muslims and even killed some Muslims

cfalk

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 159):
So as a peaceful people, shall we chant "Death to Radical Islam!"?

No, we don't. That's the whole point. We are civilized.

Quoting Baroque (Reply 160):
Most Christians in Indonesia are now in no danger at all. Some Muslims have attacked some Christians in some areas, is getting translated to all Muslims attack all Christians. It just is not the case.
Attacks in Jakarta were not a simple matter of attacking Christians, they started with attacks on night clubs (rather than the occupants) where alcohol was served and AFAIK, attacks on churches occurred later.

Splitting hairs here. The reason for their attacks by your own admition is intolerance for anything that runs counter to Islam

Definitely, not one of my favourite people Abu Bakar B, however as is often the case, a little bit of mistranslation goes a long way.
"Perjuangkan terus.".. is better translated as "Keep up the struggle"... rather than keep on fighting. This error is similar to equating Jihad with fight. It can mean fight, but mostly it does not. Perjuangkan is definitely NOT fighting.

Again, I think you are splitting hairs. The context of the quote seems to make it fairly clear that he is not talking about arm-wrestling.

Re Noordin M Top
"I say to them that they are martyrs who have taken the wrong path. It's not permitted to use weapons or bombs in a land that is at peace.

And has he said that Indonesia is at peace? Sorry, but his phrasing is BS, and don't forget he believes in a form of Islam where telling lies is perfectly admissable if it's to mislead infidels.

Wonderful news. I hope she can leave safely.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 163):
But radical Islam is NOT in power in Khartoum, it is simply a military dictator

But you have the Radical Islamic mobs in the streets, and as we have seen in places like Pakistan and Iran, if the mobs get riled up, there is not much the government can do to stand up against them.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 163):
few years ago, crowds in demonstrations in Spain threatened local Muslims and even killed some Muslims

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:31 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 164):
But you have the Radical Islamic mobs in the streets, and as we have seen in places like Pakistan and Iran, if the mobs get riled up, there is not much the government can do to stand up against them.

In case of Iran, the bad point is that the extremists are both IN government (presidency) and ABOVE the government (Supreme Leader), and in case of Pakistan the problem is that the government controls the main areas but has practically lost control in the NWFP . Whenever the problems in Pakistan ARE serious, the situation in reality still is much better than in Iran.
-
Back to Sudan. President Bashir is the one who ousted the fundamentalists when coming to power and sent out Osama BinLaden. He apparently HAS the support of the army, but of course DEPENDS on the armed forces. And so is a military dictator. His religiousness however clearly has its limits.

scrubbsywg

Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:05 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071203...ardon

well, she was in jail for a number of days already, she just got out a bit early. I believe she served over half the 15 day sentence already.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 166):
I believe she served over half the 15 day

the following text is from the BBC
-
freed after eight days in custody. She had been given a 15-day jail term. She is flying back to the UK via Dubai. Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir pardoned her after talks with two British Muslim peers.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
So that President al-Bashir simply wanted to humiliate the Brits, in what clearly is a simple theatrical masquerade including those "demonstrations" which took place just on arrival of the British delegations of course by sheer coincidence, not based on anything "legal" nor on anything religious but just because some despots in Khartoum were opposed to a female British teacher and hope now to shock off potential teacheresses accordingly. A full week in prison just for such childish gestures is beyond acceptability.

zrs70

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:16 pm

Here's the irony....

How did the Teddy Bear get its name? It was named after US president Teddy Roosevelt, in reaction to an act of kindness he showed during a hunting trip.

We name a stuffed animal after a president as a symbol of pride.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:31 pm

Quoting Zrs70 (Reply 168):
the Teddy Bear get its name? It was named after US president Teddy Roosevelt, in reaction to an act of kindness he showed during a hunting trip.

We name a stuffed animal

A Teddy Bear is NOT simply a "stuffed animal", it is the eternal friend of uncounted boys around the globe ! And so, it is honouring Theodore Roosevelt in quite a unique way. And to name THE Teddy in class Mohammed was in fact a very nice idea, even if this idea was not shared by some idiots in the higher echelons in Khartoum !

express1

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 pm

and now she is free and on her way home. Good,maybe now we can get on with life.

dave

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 170):
and now she is free and on her way home.

That she is free again and out is good. But I am perfectly sure that she often will think back about her pupils. And the topic as such, a despotic military dictatorship where such affairs always are and will be possible, will stay on. And let's never forget that some idiots in Khartoum forced her to spend a full week in prison. I suppose we can hear more about the matter from HER perspectives when she will have arrived in the UK again.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Here a report from the BBC which gives some explanations :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks to the Gillian Gibbons saga, Sudan has managed to transform its public image from pariah state to something approaching a laughing stock.

If Khartoum was hoping to turn the teddy bear into a rallying point for Muslims across the Middle East it was quickly disappointed. Condemnation of the British teacher's detention came in from around the world and from all religions - leaving the government looking for an escape strategy.

The carefully stage-managed pardoning of Mrs Gibbons by Sudan's President Omar al-Bashir will have satisfied few within his divided government. Moderates who want better relations with the West will want to know why Sudan's president did not intervene sooner.

President al-Bashir is a military man, and Mrs Gibbons's detention has shown clearly once again that power rests firmly with security forces and the interior and defence ministries.

The men who lead these organs will not have minded the outcry in Britain. For them the key international relationship is not with the West but the Far East and China. Despite 10 years of sanctions and an ongoing war in Darfur, Sudan's oil-fuelled economy is currently growing at one of the fastest rates in Africa.

British Prime Minister Gordon Brown's combative advocacy on Darfur may well have contributed to Mrs Gibbons's continued detention. Mr Brown trumpeted his role in forcing through UN approval for a new peacekeeping mission and has infuriated Khartoum by regularly threatening further sanctions. The arrest of Mrs Gibbons must have seemed like an easy opportunity to give their former colonial masters a bloody nose.
-
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/7125514.stm
-
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

baroque

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:37 am

Re Noordin M Top

And has he said that Indonesia is at peace? Sorry, but his phrasing is BS, and don't forget he believes in a form of Islam where telling lies is perfectly admissible if it's to mislead infidels.

And by contrast, the west is blessed with a set of leaders who are renowned for the truth of what they say? I think not, we have been very badly served by this mendacious bunch of second raters.

I agree that Bashir is slippery with the truth, which is all the more reason to make the contrast to western leaders. With the past 5 years of consistent lies from the US, the UK and Australia, we are not in a good position to counter the master of wayang.

It does, however, appear that there is a real break between Bashir and Top.
http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2006/s1658502.htm
SIDNEY JONES: I think it's probably increased his support, because he can portray himself now as a symbol of defiance against the West. And he's the person that all of these different countries raised as a major concern.

It was he who railed against the West and the war on terror, and as long as he's been in prison he's served as a very useful lightning rod for hardline groups in Indonesia.
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2007/s1949432.htm
Talking of the capture and questioning of Abu Dujana,
"DR SIDNEY JONES: Yes, because I think that this is somebody who's been operationally involved from the very beginning in a way that Abu Bakar Bashir, even though he was head of the whole organisation, was not. This is a person who knows the military goals, knows the strongholds, knows the leadership structure, and is also someone who's had an instrumental role over the past three years in hiding some of the most wanted terrorists in the region."

The real challenge is to turn Bashir.

miamix707

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 169):
And to name THE Teddy in class Mohammed was in fact a very nice idea, even if this idea was not shared by some idiots in the higher echelons in Khartoum !

...and don't forget the many thousands of ignorant "idiots" on the streets of Sudan. Not to mention the millions of fannatics worldwide who would've protested if given the chance.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:21 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 169):
even if this idea was not shared by some idiots in the higher echelons in Khartoum !

Especially those named Mohammed.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 174):
the many thousands of ignorant "idiots" on the streets of Sudan

most of those "in the streets" of Khartoum were NOT igrnorant of either their duty or/and the payment they got

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 174):
the millions of fannatics worldwide who would've protested if given the chance.

millions HAD "the chance" but to the utter dismay of the KRT leadership, nobody did do so, and most were either angry or amused

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 175):
even if this idea was not shared by some idiots in the higher echelons in Khartoum !
Especially those named Mohammed.

-
the boy who wanted the Teddy to bear that name happens to be named Mohammed

cfalk

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:43 am

Last year Islam and Judaism's holiest holidays overlapped for 10 days. Muslims racked up 397 dead bodies in 94 terror attacks across 10 countries during this time... while Jews worked on their 159th Nobel Prize.

Send a Mohammed-Bear, for those who care  Wink

aloges

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:04 am

Quote:
Last year Islam and Judaism's holiest holidays overlapped for 10 days. Muslims racked up 397 dead bodies in 94 terror attacks across 10 countries during this time... while Jews worked on their 159th Nobel Prize.

If anyone will set off WW3, it's radicals with their ignorant hatred of "infidels", Islamophobia, anti-Semitism and just general arrogant one-sidedness. I think the rest of us will just have to watch, dodge the bullets and think "Oh dear, here we go again."

How anyone can be so brainwashed to think that only Muslims cause trouble and all others are united in suffering (and anger) is completely beyond me.

windshear

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:06 am

"Allah is our objective, the Quran is our Constitution, the Prophet is our leader, Jihad is our way, and death for the sake of Allah is the highest of our aspirations."

So the Muslim brotherhood is in fact made up of- Klingons?

I have no personal comment for this latest lapse of bizarre Islamic uprising, so I'll say it in Clarkson:

Clarkson on the Stig:
Some say, He once did some time in a prison in Canterbury, because his Teddy is called: "The baby Jesus", all we know is: He's called the Stig!

Boaz.

mandala499

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:55 am

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 159):
So as a peaceful people, shall we chant "Death to Radical Islam!"?

There's no point... because...

No, we don't. That's the whole point. We are civilized.

But then, such an opinion doesn't apply for peaceful Muslims because by some, we are branded as "being with the radicals" for not chanting "Death to Radical Islam"...

Why one rule for you and one for another if one claim that non-radical Islam isn't an enemy of society?

I smell something fishy here.

cfalk

Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:59 am

Quoting Aloges (Reply 178):
How anyone can be so brainwashed to think that only Muslims cause trouble and all others are united in suffering (and anger) is completely beyond me.

Certainly Muslims don't hold a monopoly on causing trouble. What irks me is how people deny that Islam has anything to do with it - that they are fighting injustice or some BS like that. Sorry, but I think the general infidelophobia of Islamic culture seems to be the root of their troubles.

ME AVN FAN

Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 181):
that Islam has anything to do with it - that they are

A) "that they are" ??? Whom is meant ? THE Muslims or rather just some extreme persons ?
B) if a powerhungry dictator and his bureaucracy want to pull up a show with a powerplay just because they still suffer of bad feelings about the former colonial power and because they DISlike women being sent to their country as teachers, then it is not religion but petty politics. And if they organize a demonstration in a country where demontrations are not allowed than it is simply a show (Las Vegas Sudan way).
-