Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanb741
Topic Author

Things To Do In Maui

Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 pm

Hi guys

My sister is getting married in Maui next year and I am flying over from the UK to be there. I was wondering if anybody has been to Maui and can recommend things to do? Also does anybody know good operators to book hotels in Maui through?

Many thanks in advance

Ryan
I used to think the brain is the most fascinating part of my body. But, hey, who is telling me that?

c172akula

RE: Things To Do In Maui

Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:28 pm

I've been to Maui a few times, do you know what area of the island you are staying at? I've spent most of my time in the Southwest resort section of Wailea. Maui is by far my most favorite of the Hawaiian islands I've been to.

I would recommend at least going up to the top of the volcano Haleakala(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakal%C4%81), it sits just above 10,000' ASL and taking in a sunrise or sunset is a must! Some tour operators also take you up and let you ride bikes down the road, although I've never done that.

If you like SCUBA or snorkelling than you should try and take one of the day boats out to Molokini(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molokini) for some of that as well.

Hope this helps you a little!

aloha73g

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:42 pm

Quoting C172Akula (Reply 1):
I would recommend at least going up to the top of the volcano Haleakala(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haleakal%C4%81), it sits just above 10,000' ASL and taking in a sunrise or sunset is a must! Some tour operators also take you up and let you ride bikes down the road, although I've never done that.

I also reccomend Haleakala!! Sunrises up there are spectacular. FYI, Haleakala means "House of the Sun."

The bike tours down Haleakala have been halted as of now due to some recent fatalities (the road is narrow, windy, steep in parts and lacks guardrails.)

Also, I reccommend the "Road to Hana." It is one fo the most bneautiful drives in the world...lots of waterfalls, valleys and a black sand beach in Hana.

As far as Hotels go, there are two main resort areas:

Ka'anapali, Kapalua & Lahaina in West Maui

Wailea, Kihei & Makena in South Maui

Both have a wide selection of hotels and most of them are very nice (range from "Nice" to "VERY VERY VERY Nice")

Have Fun!!

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

mbmbos

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:55 pm

We rented a convertible and did the "Road to Hana". We bought the $10 cassette that narrates the drive. It was quite scenic. Also, great waves on the beaches. Rent a boogie board and ask each day where the good wave action is. We had a blast.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

c172akula

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 2):
The bike tours down Haleakala have been halted as of now due to some recent fatalities (the road is narrow, windy, steep in parts and lacks guardrails.)

I was only there two summers ago and didn't realize they had stopped the bike tours. Too bad! But if people were getting killed it is probably for the best.

I heard if you go on the road to Hana to take some gravol, at least most people seem to say you can get quite car sick with all the twists and turns!

Quoting Aloha73G (Reply 2):
Both have a wide selection of hotels and most of them are very nice (range from "Nice" to "VERY VERY VERY Nice")

The condo complex we stay at in Wailea was right in front of the Fairmont Kea Lani, that place was NICE!

searpqx

Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:58 pm

When I lived there, this was my 'must do' list for anyone coming to visit us.
Snorkel tour to Molokini crater
Drive to Hana
Circle Island Helicopter Tour (pricey but oh so worth it)
Drive up Haleakala (especially if you don't do the air tour - gives you an incredible view of 1/2 the island)
While you're up the mountain, go on out towards Ulupalakua Ranch and do either the ATV tour, the Zip Line or just take the Winery Tour.

There are lots of 1 & 2 hour little activities as well, dependent on where you're staying and time of year. Feel free to msg me when your going & where you're staying and I'll send you some details.

As for booking - any of the online travel agencies (Expedia.co.uk, etc) can help out, or if you want to look into owner rented properties, check out Vacation Rentals by Owner (VRBO.com)
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

corocks

Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 pm

One of the best things that we ever did on Maui was a sunset cruise. I am not talking about on a big catamaran but a small to medium sized real sailboat. This was unbelievable with the winds blowing - we hit incredible speeds and it was just great - especially with all the rum punch!

We have never been able to replicate this experience anywhere else, even on other Hawaiian islands. I guess it is just the way the trade winds hit Maui.

Not something to pass up.

PacNWjet

Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:28 pm

My wife and I have been to Maui several times and will be there this year over the Christmas holiday. Our favorite thing to do is go snorkeling. There are day trips to Molokini crater and the island of Lanai for snorkeling, but frankly there are plenty of great snorkel spots right off many of the beaches on Maui. You can go to any of the many snorkel/scuba shops on Maui to rent snorkel gear and these shops also can provide you with maps or give you tips on the best snorkeling spots.

Another fun day activity is a trip to the Maui Ocean Center which bills itself as "the nation's largest tropical reef aquarium." Info can be had at the center's website: http://www.mauioceancenter.com

Finally, for my wife in particular, no trip to Maui is complete without a whale-watching trip. The winter months are best as this is when the humbacks are in the Hawaiian waters. There are numerous whale-watching operations, most of which have their offices and boats in Lahaina.

Have a great trip!

Arrow

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting PacNWjet (Reply 7):
Our favorite thing to do is go snorkeling. There are day trips to Molokini crater and the island of Lanai for snorkeling, but frankly there are plenty of great snorkel spots right off many of the beaches on Maui.

Absolutely. From my experience (and I've been hitting Maui once a year now for about 15 years) the best snorkelling is at either end of the Island -- Ahihi-Kinau in the south and Honolua in the north. I was not impressed with either Molokini or Lanai, especially since it's expensive to get there. Not far behind in quality are a few of the beaches around Wailea; just swim out around the rocky points. We've seen everything from manta rays to big barracuda to small sharks (only a couple of those). Don't wear any shiny jewellery in the water!
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

dl021

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:21 pm

The best thing about Maui is the ferry ride to Lanaei...

short of that make sure you spend time on Haleakala and do all that stuff Searpqx suggested.

Kapalua has some nice hotels and restaurants (but the Ritz Carlton is going to miss the Christmas season due to construction delays).

Go to Hawai'i if you can. See the live volcanoes.....
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

searpqx

Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting Arrow (Reply 8):
Ahihi-Kinau in the south

This is some of the best 'drive to' snorkeling on the island and for that matter in the islands. Do some research before you go, and talk to a good dive shop (Maui Dive Shop is my recommendation) as well, as there are no facilities, limited parking, and the snorkeling is only safe if in calm water, the Trades tend to make it choppy and dangerous. Also, be aware, much of this land is sacred to the Hawai'ians, so treat it with the respect you'd treat any hallowed ground.

Quoting Arrow (Reply 8):
I was not impressed with either Molokini

I find that Molokini is still the best snorkeling going, but because it's a crater, you have to be willing to actually dive a little to get the best views, and yes, you have to pay to get there. But because there is no on-shore human presence at all, the waters remain pristine and the coral is not covered in silt like it can be on-shore.

One last recommendation, food is expensive on Maui, and the resort hotels and big restaurants are the worst. You'll get cheaper and usually as good or better quality food at some of the small hole in the wall places scattered in the various towns (away from the beaches). Just look for where the locals are eating. One exception to this is the Sunday Brunch at the Maui Prince. It's expensive (last time four people ran me $200), but it is by far the best brunch I've ever had, worldwide. The selection, quality and presentation are beyond compare.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

Confuscius

Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:31 pm

Don't forget to satisfy your cholesterol fix at "Da Kitchen" in Kihei.
Ain't I a stinker?

corey07850

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 11):
Don't forget to satisfy your cholesterol fix at "Da Kitchen" in Kihei.

and Bubba Burger

bok269

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting Corey07850 (Reply 12):

and Bubba Burger

Cheeseburger in Paradise in Lahaina...order the Burger and a T-Shirt (it's a combo for the low price of $19.99).
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac