airlinelover
Topic Author

If You Die And Go To Heaven..

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:50 pm

This thread is for anyone really, but especially those who believe in heaven...

If you die and go to heaven, do you watch down on the earth from that time forward, or can you actually watch any period of time? Heaven is said to be eternal, so would it stand to reason that someone who dies todat (for example) can watch over themselves while they're still alive, or is it supposed to be limited to "you died 11-29, so you can watch from this day forward.."

Don't know why I thought of this.. Curious to see what the responses will be..

And please, don't turn this into a "religion-vs-religion" thread, if your religion has a heaven (or equivalent) feel free to add that, but NO FLAMING!!
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

MCOflyer

RE: If You Die And Go To Heaven..

Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:49 pm

I believe that what you said is correct. I feel sometimes I wouldn't be here if were not for my mothers watching me from heaven.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

airlinelover
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:05 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 1):
I believe that what you said is correct. I feel sometimes I wouldn't be here if were not for my mothers watching me from heaven.

Hunter

I believe that too, I can sometimes feel my grandmas watching over me.. But I mean this:

Person died yesterday.. does that person:

A- Watch over people only from yesterday forward?
B- Watch over any point in time, even before they died?

Chris
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

FlagshipAZ

Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:55 pm

When I die (from advanced age, like 105) and go to heaven, first folks I want to see is Mom & Dad. Then all my pets I've lost over the years. Then I wish to replay certain periods in history, as if I'm watching live TV. For example...watch over Amelia Earhart's shoulders as she flies into legend. Is that reasonable, or just the old imagination working overtime?
One thing I like to do in heaven is simply watch over my 2 kids and any future grand-kids I may have. That's the way I was taught at church & Sunday school...you can be watchful over your loved ones & replay history from the time that you lived.
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

AGM100

Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:00 pm

Going straight to the Black Jack tables and ordering a round for everyone !
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

Pope

Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:58 pm

Personally I had sort of decided that time is an inconsequential concept outside of the material world. Interestingly enough I'm reading Stephen Hawkings' "The Universe in a Nutshell" and in the first two chapter he makes a pretty compelling scientific argument to support exactly that notion.

I was pondering a similar question the other day - specifically, if you die and go to heaven, are all the mysteries of the universe explained to you instantly? Do you acquire all the knowledge that ever was or ever will be?
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

MCOflyer

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm

Airlinelover,

I believe it they watch over their loved one and ensure they live a better life. So choice A.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

legoguy

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:08 pm

On your way up to heaven, one must be careful not to get sucked into a GE 90 engine.
Can you say 'Beer Can' without sounding like a Jamaican saying 'Bacon'?

cfalk

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:15 pm

Might be relevant  Smile

Rowan Atkinson's "Welcome to Hell"

The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

Confuscius

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:16 pm

I'd rather go to hell. Sinners have more fun.

Big grin  devil  Big grin
Ain't I a stinker?

BN747

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:39 pm

A guideline/suggestion you (threadstarter) omitted...

- You must be 12 or Under to participate in this thread -

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

LAXspotter

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Heaven? What the is that?

keep on dreaming.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

MKEdude

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:02 pm

My heaven has stripper factories and beer volcanoes.

http://www.venganza.org/

Have you been touched by his noodley appendage?  biggrin 
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

TACAA320

Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 11):

Heaven is according to Christian doctrine a "state of the soul". People in heaven can see God as he is. Forever.

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 9):
I'd rather go to hell. Sinners have more fun.

Good girls go o heaven. Bad girls go everywhere [I'm not saying that you are a girl].
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

flynavy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Hunter

PLEASE God. Make it stop.  banghead 
Change is: one airline, six continents!

Toast

Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:17 pm

my mothers watching me from heaven.

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 2):
my grandmas watching over me

Ah, so that's why my Christian girlfriends insisted on turning the lights off and frolicking under the sheets...  duck 

My idea of heaven: no heaven, because if there turned out to be one, as an atheist I'd feel very pwned indeed... Big grin

Alternatively, if there is a heaven and the great cop in the sky graciously turns a blind eye to my peccadilloes, I'd like an unlimited supply of food and drink and of beautiful, smart and slutty women. And a nice PC with a good broadband connection. When tired of eating, drinking, sex and postwhoring on a.net, I'd go down to the basement and give my torture rack a spin on some clergyman's ass while JGPH1A rests from doing it all day.  cloudnine 

Not too much to ask for, eh God? I've been a good boy.  pray 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Braybuddy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:05 pm

The believers have the best deal, unfortunately. If they die and go to heaven they are happy. If they die and disappear down the plughole they'll know nothing about it.

On the other hand, us non-believers, if we are wrong, are in for a BIG, BIG shock . . .

Siren

Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:10 pm

With eternity - comes ultimate knowledge, and whatever reality you deem fit for yourself. If you want to participate in watching the world passively, then that's what you do. I prefer to continue life, albeit in another, immortal form, able to play out my desires and fantasies (ie: storming the Kremlin in a bloodless coup (all smotherings), and installing myself as a brutal merciless dictator - might be fun for a month or so). When I'm bored of one reality, simply create another. I see Heaven as one big holodeck... and I want in.

Pope

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:06 pm

Quoting Flynavy (Reply 14):
PLEASE God. Make it stop.

For the life of me, I can't believe why people who chose not to believe in God, feel so threatened by anyone who does or any expression of faith.

Certainly there are religious extremist who seek to impose their religion on others. But a statement by a child who's lost their mother and draws comfort from HIS BELIEF that his mother is watching over him should hardly be offensive to anyone.

IMO statements like the one quoted above demonstrate a certain uneasiness in the writer's own theological position (or lack thereof), in the same manner that a kid unsure of his own ability to fit in teases others on the school yard.

N74JW

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:29 pm

I dunno really...

Some Christians tell me that I will go to Hell unless I accept Jesus as my savior. I just say, the Devil can't run Hell forever, I'll do it. 'It's a joke'

Quoting Pope (Reply 18):
For the life of me, I can't believe why people who chose not to believe in God, feel so threatened by anyone who does or any expression of faith.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the religious beliefs of others do not bother me in the slightest. I am an Atheist, but all of my family/friends have some sort of faith. I get irked when folks try to 'save me' and impress their beliefs without respect for my views.

It is like: 'I respect your views and the way you feel, why can't you do the same for me?'

People are people and we're all different...
rm -r *

Pope

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 19):
I can't speak for anyone else, but the religious beliefs of others do not bother me in the slightest. I am an Atheist, but all of my family/friends have some sort of faith. I get irked when folks try to 'save me' and impress their beliefs without respect for my views.

It is like: 'I respect your views and the way you feel, why can't you do the same for me?'

Absolutely.

Now read reply #1 and then reply #14 (responding to reply #1). It's clear that Flynavy for some reason has a problem with a child taking comfort in the though of his dead mother watching over him.

I respect both party's right to believe or not believe - that clearly not my point. I just find it strange that SOME people seem to react in the manner they do whenever someone else posts anything about religion.

N74JW

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:04 pm

I guess it is FlyNavy's problem... Perhaps it is insecurity that makes people act that way?
rm -r *

RobertNL070

Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 11):

For quite a while - the first half of the 1980s - I went to Heaven every Saturday night. Heaven is a cavernous gay nightclub in London  biggrin 
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Braybuddy

Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:04 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 22):
I went to Heaven every Saturday night.

Oh really? That wasn't you I . . . . . . . . .. . . . . never mind!

FlyDeltaJets87

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:09 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Thread starter):

I've always thought of it as a "from this point forward type deal". I like to think I'd be more curious about looking down and watching my kids and grandkids throughout their lives then rewatching most of my own.

"When I die and go to heaven, and see god, I'm gonna say 'Shit'.-Danny, the Tourettes Guy
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

2H4

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 12):

You should have that made into a bumper sticker.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Alias1024

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 25):

Quoting MKEdude (Reply 12):

You should have that made into a bumper sticker.

Agreed!!! I'd buy one.

I like your version of heaven MKEdude.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

aerorobnz

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:31 am

I'm of the Athiest persuasion these days, but over the years I've done my time for religion, and I always decided that it was outside the space-time continuum and therefore not subject to sequential time.

I also surmised that it had no individually recognisable people/places as when we die our bodies decay and we physically cease to be. Obviously to be in heaven you would be in God's presence, which is all you would need for eternal salvation. Therefore I figured that Hell is a place where you don't feel God's presence.

I think you can see how I eventually evolved my beliefs towards Atheism, As the afterlife sounds like a bore.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:23 am

Quoting Toast (Reply 15):
while JGPH1A rests from doing it all day.

Hmmm, well I suppose I have no objection to a little light bondage between close personal friends, but anything involving special clothing is extra (especially leather - I chafe easily). It's all on the pricelist.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

allstarflyer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 2):
A- Watch over people only from yesterday forward?
B- Watch over any point in time, even before they died?

Both, IMO.

Quoting Pope (Reply 5):
if you die and go to heaven, are all the mysteries of the universe explained to you instantly? Do you acquire all the knowledge that ever was or ever will be?

I would think things are constantly being revealed over eternity.
Living the American Dream

BN747

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:07 pm

Hmmm...I wonder if my last pet that died.. can watch over all the pups he sired as long as he wants...inaddition to his siblings.

I guess the whales can finally taste what it's like to 'live' out water and watch their off spring and relatives..

I guess monkeys & apes can do the same...

I wonder if inhabitants from the galaxy Q-0188ZA can watch over the events of time as well.

Or is this heaven place for deceased humans only? An extreme arrogance to believe that an afterlife exist only for Earth residents (select believers only). Or am I wrong and each planet has their own heaven (that's about a gazillion heavens right there)...

Or Alien Heaven is bordered by Human heaven which is adjacent to Animal heaven...wait, there's no Animal bible to path the way to get there...

..so I guess the whales and pooches are screwed-

I hope the Aliens have their act together -- undocumented and interstellar

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

sleekjet

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:43 pm

Not enough time or space here to answer all the heaven questions that have been brought up. I think the definitive work on heaven has been written by a guy named Randy Alcorn, and is aptly named "Heaven". I highly recommend it.
II Cor. 4:17-18

gunsontheroof

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:38 am

These are the kind of logistical nightmares that keep me away from religion in the first place. Nevertheless, some interesting answers here. Frankly, as a history buff, I'm not sure if it'd be as fun to go if you couldn't peak in on anything that ever happened in the world!
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

TACAA320

Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting BN747 (Reply 31):
Or is this heaven place for deceased humans only? An extreme arrogance to believe that an afterlife exist only for Earth residents (select believers only). Or am I wrong and each planet has their own heaven (that's about a gazillion heavens right there)...

For humans only [even atheist and agnostics]. Until proven the opposite.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

Pu752

Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:15 am

I feel sometimes I wouldn't be here if were not for my mothers watching me from heaven.

Amen to that.

Rgds.

Superfly

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:36 am

God damn it! After reading this thread, I got an awful Belinda Carlisle song stuck in my head.
Now I must share my misery with you all.  devil 

Seriously though.
An-225 get's my Lincoln, my friend Steve gets my Marantz stereo system and one of my reel to reel decks. Matt D will get my other reel to reel deck. My friend Rick gets my 8track tapes and turntables and all my tools. My friend Tom get's all my 1:500 scale Herpa wings. My friend Bill gets my disco ball and lava lamps. The ex-girlfriends get pictures of me and their dirty panties back.
Sorry I don't have anything of worth to pass to my parents and siblings.
Bring back the Concorde

redngold

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:45 pm

I don't think anyone will have the mind of God in Heaven, but I believe there will be a "blessed assurance" that will relieve anxieties about the past and future.
Up, up and away!

alfa75

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:15 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 35):
awful Belinda Carlisle song

Seeing as you are into 70's pop culture I can understand your feelings.

As a product of the 80's I thought that that was one of the hottest videos. Tame as it is for today she was pretty hot in that video..

Thanks for the flashback memories. It made me head over to iTunes and buy some music!

Now, back on topic....

I always thought you would be able to see any point in time.

Now I don't believe in it at all. However, if it is there, and I am to believe all that I hear about God etc., I do not think I would be excluded.

I know that sounds like a loophole and it probably is, but we all have different beliefs and this works for me!
The best things in life aren't things!