Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

checkraiser
Topic Author

Do You/Would You Smoke Marijuana?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:06 am

IMO, the US has idiotic Marijuana laws.

So, if its legal where you live, do you use it?

If it's illegal where you live would you use it? You know...

Wink

It's illegal here, but IF it was legal, I would do it.
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

bok269

RE: Do You/Would You Smoke Marijuana?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:17 am

Nope. Have no desire to smoke. Flying is how I get high.
"Reality is wrong, dreams are for real." -Tupac

avt007

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:20 am

I wouldn't do it, even if it was legal in Canada (and no, it isn't legal). If I had to generalize those I've known that smoked it, I'd say they weren't the sharpest crayons in the box. Unmotivated, not overly intelligent, and seemingly unaware of the consequences is how I'd say they were. I realize there are exceptions to the rule, but overall, that's how I feel. It's not good for you in any way, (unless you have cancer) it kills your short term memory, your motivation, and if you're caught, it can really screw up your life. Good luck working in aviation with a drug conviction.
Those who support decriminalization are living in a dream world (perhaps because they're smoking it?). I don't see how it helps society in any way to have marijuana accepted as an "OK" thing. That's my rant for today.

checkraiser
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:24 am

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 1):
Flying is how I get high.

Good answer.

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 2):
I don't see how it helps society in any way to have marijuana accepted as an "OK" thing.

Well, I would refute that but... motivation just isn't my thing.

Toast

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:27 am

It's legal here, at least for personal use. I've no idea about laws concerning weed cultivation in Belgium nor do I care much to be honest.

I have smoked marijuana several times, and have concluded it was a severely overhyped product, popular probably only because of the well-known forbidden fruit effect. It's mildly relaxing and it leaves a foul taste in your mouth for several days. No big deal. Certainly not worth the money, and certainly not worth sending anybody to jail for using it in private.

So even though I don't do the stuff, it's good to know that people here are given the choice and are not treated like children about what they put in their bodies. I'd even go further to suggest that all those holier-than-thou anti-drug warriors who dream of sentencing kids to a million years of chain gang for possessing a thimbleful of slightly intoxicating vegetal matter be forced to smoke it themselves for 24 hours in a row. Maybe then would they realize they're fighting windmills...
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

LTU932

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:29 am

I've tried it, but personally I never liked it. The first time, I got sick from it, and the second time it gave me tachycardia for some reason. That being said, while for it's not my cup of tea, I'm still in favour of legalising marihuana.

[Edited 2007-11-30 21:30:22]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:30 am

Dopes smoke dope.

I don't get the point personally, never done it, can't imagine it's something worth having a criminal record for.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

MCOflyer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:36 am

No to the 1st and no to the 2nd. I have no intention of doing it and nor do I want to.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

stratosphere

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:39 am

Well I see it from a different point of view. I tried it as a kid and didn't like it. Also my current profession I am random drug tested and still wouldn't do it even if I wasn't. But I do have friends who smoke it and they only use it on occasion and lead normal lives have good jobs and great families and all of them say it really relaxes them and one friend in particular smokes it because she is quite often in pain and it really seems to help her. Also the other side of the coin is that I am sure we spend more on trying to eradicate pot than any other drug and I would like to see the pot legal and taxed and regulated and use the law to go after the what I would call hard core drugs. But I suppose a lot of people would call that semantics and that pot is as bad as any other narcotic but I don't see it that way myself. Just my opinion from a casual beer drinker.

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:49 am

I don't think it's worse than any other behavioural pharmaceutical like Prozac or Ritalin.
At least MJ is organic and not processed. Read the disclaimers on any pharmaceutical drug about the side effects. It seems worse than pot. Many cancer patients are prescribed cannabis during treatment to counter this.
474218, Carl, You will be missed.

ArmitageShanks

I've smoked a few times and I loved it.

I wouldnt do it more than once a month though. I've not done it in about 8 months, did if a few times in a week, and went 5 years since my first time.

mainMAN

Yes I occasionally do.....at parties and stuff.

I wouldn't do it, even if it was legal in Canada (and no, it isn't legal). If I had to generalize those I've known that smoked it, I'd say they weren't the sharpest crayons in the box. Unmotivated, not overly intelligent, and seemingly unaware of the consequences is how I'd say they were.

The people I know who smoke (regularly in some cases) include a music teacher, several IT professionals, a University lecturer with Ph.D, a lawyer, and a civil engineer. Like a compendium of success. All with highly paid jobs, lovely houses and intelligent happy well-adjusted children.

By the same token, you're right that it's a drug of choice for a lot of no-hopers, but many people have no desire to join in the uber-competitive nature of the world in which we live. Which is also possibly why such a large proportion of the population spend the bulk of their waking hours with a hangover having binged their way through the weekend.

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 9):

The ONLY way that I would ever legalize pot was if there were a field test the police could do in order to determine if someone was driving high.

I've heard people say that they can think more clearly when high, but I'll raise a massive red flag on that one.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Toast

Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:57 am

Those who support decriminalization are living in a dream world (perhaps because they're smoking it?). I don't see how it helps society in any way to have marijuana accepted as an "OK" thing.

It helps society in the sense that it removes the government further from your private life. As an adult, I eat, drink and smoke whatever I want, and have sex however I want. Having laws that tell citizens what they may and may not do to their own health is infantilising. Having laws that punish people with decades of imprisonment for such a non-issue as smoking weed is brutal and barbaric.

If you claim weed should be illegal because it's not good for your health, explain why fast food, alcohol and tobacco are legal. Then tell me what right does a clique of middle-aged repressed men living in an ivory tower have to decide why of all those products only weed should be worth spending billions on to eradicate plantations and keep thousands of people behind bars.

Marijuana is a complete red herring made up to distract people from real issues facing society. As I said, anybody here can smoke (and drink at 16 in public, no age limit in private). And yet Belgium, the Netherlands, and the other countries that have legalized weed somehow aren't full of giggling zombies and hardened alcoholics. The answers you'll get from your governments to all the empirical and statistical evidence gathered by those countries? "It wouldn't work here because we're different", "we've lost our family values", "young people today have no respect for authority and would abuse the privilege", blah, blah, blah. Yeah, sure.  Yeah sure

Quoting MainMAN (Reply 12):
The people I know who smoke (regularly in some cases) include a music teacher, several IT professionals, a University lecturer with Ph.D, a lawyer, and a civil engineer. Like a compendium of success. All with highly paid jobs, lovely houses and intelligent happy well-adjusted children.

Precisely. I could add to the list of successful people I know who smoke, but I don't feel like typing a who's who.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 13):
The ONLY way that I would ever legalize pot was if there were a field test the police could do in order to determine if someone was driving high.

Of course it can be determined easily. And of course, marijuana is and should remain verboten at all workplaces where security is of paramount importance, and when driving. Just like frigging alcohol.

AirTranTUS

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:01 am

If I wanted to get high on pot, I would stand on the toilet.  Smile
I love ASO!

BR715-A1-30

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 13):
I've heard people say that they can think more clearly when high, but I'll raise a massive red flag on that one.

Were they high when they said that  Silly

If I wanted to get high, I would spend about $200.00 and board an MD-80 to MKE... Can't get much higher than that, and when I come down, I'm in a new place (better place)

98% of the people in the town I live in smoke Marijuana, and the cops obviously don't give a shit, but I am one of few that has never done it, don't do it, and don't intend on doing it.
Puhdiddle

JAGflyer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:11 am

No, I don't usually smoke marijuana. It definitely is one of those things that I will only do if I have nothing else to do for the next few hours as I find I am totally unproductive. It's a nice chill-out feeling. If I do smoke, it's at night with people I trust. It is something I suggest people try if they want to.

[Edited 2007-11-30 22:17:17]
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

ShyFlyer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:13 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Thread starter):
So, if its legal where you live, do you use it?

No, not a chance.

If it's illegal where you live would you use it?

Same as above.

Now if it were prescribed/recommended by a doctor for a condition I was being treated for, I'd probably consider it, though I highly doubt that even then I would use it.
I lift things up and put them down.

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:18 am

Quoting BR715-A1-30 (Reply 16):
98% of the people in the town I live in smoke Marijuana

Whaaa?  crazy 
Your profile doesn't show your location as Boulder, Colorado.  scratchchin 

cakentennis

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:22 am

I don't understand why the government can't just make it legal and tax the hell out of it. They'll be able to regulate it and I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying 40% tax on marijuana.

yowza

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:38 am

I do.In fact I'm blazed now. However, I don't smoke up heavily or often. Just from time to time when I need to switch off. I feel refreshed the next day and get on with life. It's not a big deal.

YOWza

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:06 am

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 20):
I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying 40% tax on marijuana.

Ok...  scratchchin 
So if a joint sells for let's say $2.00, the 40% "'Stoner Tax" would be $0.80. Then there's sales tax of $0.16 (in my County) and there will probably be a surcharge to fund anti-marijuana programs like DARE of about 1.5%. So add another $0.03 and now each joint sells for $ 2.99.
Then you smoke the joint and forget where you put your keys. Thinking that you may have left them in the car, you rush outside and find they're not there. Now you're locked outside and there's Mac & Cheese cooking on the stove. So let's say $2.99, plus replacement of a broken window, the locksmith's house call and cleaning up the smoke and water damage from the fire.
That makes each joint, incl. surcharges, approx. $ 5,680.
I dunno, man. 40% seems like a lot.  Yeah sure

Halcyon

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:21 am

Never have and never will. It's not helpful in anyway to a healthy person, and the effects, while mild, can be negative in some cases. There is also an increased list for psychoses for regular users.

While there may be successful people who smoke it, I think it is important to note that the weed is not contributing to their success.

I also find high people obnoxious when I have to deal with them in a professional environment.

jafa39

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:14 am

It is illegal here and i wouldn't do it if it was legal.....back in my Hell's Angel days.......it may have been another story but it rots the brain in ways that most pot-heads are in strong denial over...I have seen the proof...
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

KevinL1011

Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:33 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 24):
back in my Hell's Angel days.......me an Keith Richards used to bong any and everything combustible. I even smoked his Dad with him. Remember the Newberry Park incident? Well, I wasn't there but Keith was and told me all about it but, I was stoned at the time and forgot. So thats why I never smoke pot anymore and only drink heavily

biggrin   Wink

Doona

Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:50 am

On occasion (More than once a year, but less than once a month). Seriously though, I have more fun with alcohol, even though the hangover I'm nursing at the moment is a bitch.

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

gocaps16

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:01 pm

A lot of my old high school/college buddies who DOES smoke Mary Jane are stupid as a cow, having criminal records, etc. But, then again, there are alot of SMART people that smokes it and still have a fully heathly functioning brain. I've never smoked or done any drugs in my life, personally, it's just not worth it. Besides, drugs is for losers.

[Edited 2007-12-01 05:02:14]

don81603

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Tried it a few times and generally wasn't impressed. I don't think having personal use quantities warrants a criminal record, but if it was legalized, then you'd have a whole new set of problems. And considering the problems they have enforcing impaired driving laws with alcohol, I can just imagine the fun they'd have with stoned drivers... Can you picture some stoner going 25 mph on on 75 mph highway? I'm thinking about the outbound Dan Ryan in Chicago, where the limit is 45, yet you can easily do 65-70 and everyone passes you like you're in reverse.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

flipdewaf

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:31 pm

I used to do it but not anymore, I didn't really see any negative side effects but just stopped and I couldn't tell you why. Most of my friends stopped at the same time as me which makes me think its just one of those "phase" things.

Fred

MaverickM11

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:38 pm

If it's illegal where you live would you use it?

Nope for two reasons:
1) You have to be retarded to smoke anything; newsflash, it's not good for you.
2) I associate marijuana with hippies, tie dye, Phish concerts, the seedy parts of Boulder/Austin/San Francisco, "creative glassware shops", all of which I hate, so you could never get me near the stuff.
I don't take responsibility at all

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:43 pm

One should try most things once, provided they won't kill you instantly. I tried it once in AMS (where it's legal), it was amusing, I talked a lot, got starving hungry, ate the best Snickers Bar in the history of the universe, followed by a huge schwarma and a waffle (mmmmm - munchie food), episode over. Never have again, don't need to.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

srbmod

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:37 pm

Been there done that. Went through a pot smoking stage about 8 years back. The last time I smoked was over 6 years ago.

I grew up around the stuff. My parents (My mom and dad and later my mom and stepdad) smoked it, many times in front of me. There's no telling how many contact highs I got as a kid (that could explain some things.....). In college, some of the folks I hung out with did smoke it, but I'd always pass on it. The one time I wanted to finally try it, they didn't have any. I tried it for the first time about 12 years ago. It was alright, tried it just to satisfy my curiosity. I went several years without smoking it. Then the folks I started to hang out with where I was working at smoked it. At first, I passed on it, but eventually started to smoke it. I always did it after work, and most of the time only on the weekends. What ended it for me was the night I was over at my friend's place after work and they were stoned and tripping. The way they acted while tripping pretty much cinched it for me. I saw being high in a different light and decided that perhaps I better stop. I don't believe the "gateway drug" theory some folks espouse about pot. The only other drug I even tried during my stoner phase was Ecstasy, which was a drug I had been wanted to try long before I started to smoke pot on a regular basis. I think the reason why some pot smokers end up using other drugs is that they have the ability to get them along with their pot. Think about the candy racks at the checkout lanes at stores. Those are impulse items. Same goes with the other drugs. You have a dealer you buy from, and he may have some other drugs laying around that may get your attention.

RayChuang

Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:46 pm

I tried it once when I was in college--it made me woozy and nauseated for two days. Never again.

bagpiper

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 pm

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 8):
Also the other side of the coin is that I am sure we spend more on trying to eradicate pot than any other drug and I would like to see the pot legal and taxed and regulated and use the law to go after the what I would call hard core drugs.

So, where does the slippery slope start? When does Coke become just "oh, one of those drugs - its ok, really. Lots of successful people use it. Just don't use it too much, and you'll be fine"?

Quoting Toast (Reply 13):
It helps society in the sense that it removes the government further from your private life. As an adult, I eat, drink and smoke whatever I want, and have sex however I want. Having laws that tell citizens what they may and may not do to their own health is infantilising. Having laws that punish people with decades of imprisonment for such a non-issue as smoking weed is brutal and barbaric.

Same thing could be said about gun control, eh? I would be interested to see what those who think pot is ok have to say about guns. However, thats a separate thread. Feel free to PM me with any answers, though.

Again, when does the next thing become a "non-issue"?

Also, there was a guy who worked for the CIA who had a nice house, was intelligent, and made a decent amount of money. On the side, he was a spy for the Soviet Union. But, he had a nice house, good kids, was Catholic, and seemed to have life going well for him, so it must have been okay. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Hanssen

acho

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:10 pm

No I have never done it, and I have no intention of trying it, it just seems so stupid to me and I know I would love it and do it all the time.

By no way it legal in Mexico, and the country has very harsh laws against drugs. With all drugs it is the same to me caught with .00001 grams than to be caught with 100 kilos.

Duff44

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:18 pm

Probably wouldn't try it... I hate the smell of cigarettes, but weed doesn't bother me as much.

I'd NEVER do it where it wasn't legal (i.e. the USA). I'm not lucky enough to do it and NOT get caught...
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

Braybuddy

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm not a smoker, and I've got mild asthma, so inhaling anything is difficult. I've tried it and got very little from it. Having said that, I know people who do, and I think the health issues and addictive properties are little, if any, different from that of alcohol. One can harm your lungs, the other your liver. Overuse of both can lead to different health problems, yet one is illegal in most countries, the other celebrated and encouraged.

Like alcohol, there are people who will be damaged by smoking marijuana, but, and this is a fact conveniently ignored by the anti-drugs lobby, there are more who will go through life indulging habitually or occasionally with no harmful effects whatsoever.

checkraiser
Topic Author

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:52 pm

Quote:
Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 24):
back in my Hell's Angel days.......me an Keith Richards used to bong any and everything combustible. I even smoked his Dad with him. Remember the Newberry Park incident? Well, I wasn't there but Keith was and told me all about it but, I was stoned at the time and forgot. So thats why I never smoke pot anymore and only drink heavily

thumbsup 

767Lover

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:55 pm

I've dated pot smokers in my past (for some reason hippy-dippy types were always attracted to me) and I have to say from personal experience that it doesn't enhance one's life any. These people are middle aged and seem to be drifting from one thing to anotehr without any real ambition. I have family members who are habitual pot smokers as well, and I all see there is extreme paranoia and lack of ambition.

We also went on vacation for a week this past summer with one of my husband's best friends who smokes pot every day. This guy is 45 and has basically lost most of his memory and can't seem to function without taking another hit. My husband has seen this guy get progressively worse over the years.

And yes, for each of these people, marijuana use has been a gateway to much harder drugs.

So from personal experience I would say no, I wouldn't do it. (I have tried it, given all the people around me who have done it, but it did nothing for me except make me too sleepy to function.)

RobertNL070

Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:56 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
I have smoked marijuana several times, and have concluded it was a severely overhyped product

Same goes for me.

Sorry JGPH1A, but thar is a misunderstanding. Using marijuana is not legal in AMS or anywhere else in this country. It is gedoogd or tolerated by the authorities. For example you cannot afford to clog (!) up the Dutch legal system with hundreds of thousands of minor soft drug offences.

However the shoarmas are indeed excellent after a lot of beer.

Robert
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:00 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 39):
Sorry JGPH1A, but thar is a misunderstanding. Using marijuana is not legal in AMS or anywhere else in this country. It is gedoogd or tolerated by the authorities.

Fair enough. Perhaps I should have said "might as well be legal". Is there any reason why they don't just make it legal and have done ?

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 39):
However the shoarmas are indeed excellent after a lot of beer.

Yeah, "beer" - riiight  Wink

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 38):
(for some reason hippy-dippy types were always attracted to me)

Hmm - that's actually less flattering that it sounds  Smile
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

Wolverine

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:05 pm

I tried it once, and only thing that happened was, I got tired. I won't do it again.
Face your fears, live your dreams! (No Fear)

YYZflyer

Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:19 pm

I have never smoked it, nor will I ever do it. Though I don't smoke it, I still think it should be legal.

veryhappy 
Avoid hangovers, stay drunk.

avt007

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 13):
Marijuana is a complete red herring made up to distract people from real issues facing society

So you're saying the World government invented weed to distract you from other problems? :-0
My favourite part is where people think that making it legal and taxing it will solve all the problems. In much the same way legalizing alcohol solved all the problems,eh? I've seen it first hand, shattered lives, drunk drivers killing innocents, you name it. Alcohol costs society a great deal in damage to lives, medical costs, loss of productivity, etc. Is adding weed to that going to help? And as for taxing it, do weed users strike you as the type to pay taxes willingly? Grow it yourself! Next the cops will be after you for tax evasion, not possession!  Wink
I you have circles of friends that are professionals, well off, and successful, you may imply that weed smoking is no biggie.
You should my neighbours' loser kid, who's 25-30 years old, lives at home, has no job, and stands on the doorstep all day smoking joints. Actually he does serve a purpose, as my kids can see he's a loser, and they associate the pot with it.
I honestly don't think the legalizing crowd has thought through the consequences in terms of how many more kids will try it. The more that try it, the more that will have problems in terms of school, work, health,etc. Overall, as I said, the impact on society will be negative. I have no doubt whatsoever.

seb146

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 pm

Illegal stuff? I would never do illegal stuff *snicker*

But, if I did, I would get really REALLY paranoid.

But I don't do anything illegal *snicker*
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

Toast

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 43):
I honestly don't think the legalizing crowd has thought through the consequences in terms of how many more kids will try it.

There is no need to think it out anymore, because as mentioned previously, weed is legal in some countries, those that had the courage to actually give it a go instead of building piles of unverified theories. The evidence is there for all to see.

Never having tried weed and being dead sure it'll bring the downfall of society reminds me of those repressed Muslim governments that think that if they - gasp! - granted women basic civil rights, their little cozy world would fall apart. Or those who think gay marriage is a mortal danger to society. Or those Japanese soldiers found in Micronesia 30 years after WWII who refused to believe the war was over.  crazy 

ajd1992

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:11 pm

I would if it was legal here, as a "one of those things to do before I die" type of things. I wouldn't use it regularly though, i know people that do and they're really fucked up from it.

At the moment, i have no desire to, though.

avt007

Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 45):
Never having tried weed and being dead sure it'll bring the downfall of society

First, you're leaping to a conclusion here, and second, I never said it would lead to society's downfall, I merely said it would not improve it any way, just make it that little bit worse.

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:02 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 47):
I merely said it would not improve it any way, just make it that little bit worse.

Unlike, say, war, or poverty, or famine, or chronic pollution, which are such minor problems in comparison. Marijuana is just a total non-issue used by politicians to generate chorus-style harumphing from their stupid, ill-informed electorates. Keep 'em annoyed, confused, and a little bit scared and you'll have them eating out of your hand. Anything that gets you a "War On..." headline on Fox News works just as well. How come they never have a "War on Poverty" ?

Falcon84

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:04 pm

Never had, never will. It's a bunch of shit, so why use it?
Work Right, Fly Hard