Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jafa39

RE: Do You/Would You Smoke Marijuana?

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:10 pm

Quoting KevinL1011 (Reply 24):
KevinL1011 From United States, joined Mar 2005, 1897 posts, RR: 26

Mr Kevin...what are you like, I happen to know you smoked CastleIsland's used condoms and mixed them with popcorn  Wink

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 47):
I never said it would lead to society's downfall

But you'd be right if you had said that, its a slow and insidious downfall but it would happen if the stuff was legalised, imagine what state the place would be in if all the govt's were stoned?....its bad enough now!  Wink

"Hey duuude...shall we, like, pass some laws like?"

"Whatever dude (snigger) what shall we pass today duuude?"

"Errr, like yeah man, like, we should like have a law maaan, a law that says like....no fat chicks allowed on motorcycles"

"Far out man! That's like waaaay cool!"

(Dude on back bench wakes up)

"Wooaaahh! Duuuude...I like had this rad dream maaaan, it was like....Romans man! They're like everywhere dude...you can tell by their haircuts....duude, these guys are Babylon!!"

"Duuuude, we gotta do something about that one maaan"

"Yeah...lets make haircuts illegal"

"Way to go Prime minister......and make all people from like Rome...wear a badge so we can tell who's Babylon man"

"Faaar Out!"

(Guy with dreads stirs in the corner)

"Munchies maaan"

And so on.......  Wink
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

avt007

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 48):
Unlike, say, war, or poverty, or famine, or chronic pollution, which are such minor problems in comparison

What does that have do with anything? Is it related to the subject at all? It sounds like a fuzzy way of justifying things to me. "Well, the world is going to hell in a handbasket, we might as well be stoned while it happens". It's not like we can only deal with 3 problems in the world at once. Why can we not control drug use and fight wars and poverty? Is marijuana doing anything for poverty? Pollution? Sorry, but it's not a non-iisue to me, and I'm not a politician.

Toast

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:22 pm

First, you're leaping to a conclusion here

I wasn't talking about you specifically, sorry for not making it clear.

it would not improve it any way

Actually, yes it would. It would free the hundreds of thousands of people currently kept in prison only for the "crime" of drug possession, wiping out the problem of overcrowded jails and saving taxpayers an enormous amount of money and resources that could be used for something useful like maybe, I don't know, better schools, or improved health care...
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

cannibalz3

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 pm

I do smoke marijuana. After a hard day's work, a pleasant evening to me is to get high with my friends out on the porch, then just kick back and talk or watch a movie for a couple hours. In my opinion, what one does with their own body is their own problem. It is ridiculous - really ridiculous - that our government actually prosecutes people for smoking or possessing this stuff. It seems pretty clear to me that it's a massive waste of time and resources with very little to show.

While I think we've all seen the stoners who do nothing but get high all day and suck at life, I could also add some very successful people to the list of weed smokers. I was an intern for a prominent group advocating legalization, our list of donors was very impressive  Smile.

If you want to smoke, fine. If not, that's fine too. But when I want to sit on my porch and relax, kindly leave me in peace.

Everything in moderation. Now here's a funny link from The Onion.

Drug Czar Toppled By Drug Bolsheviks

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:33 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 51):
Why can we not control drug use and fight wars and poverty? Is marijuana doing anything for poverty? Pollution? Sorry, but it's not a non-iisue to me, and I'm not a politician.

It's a question of expending limited resources on priorities. If people want to get stoned, let them. We let people drink, there's no "War on Margaritas". Drugs are a problem where they exacerbate existing social problems like unemployment, poverty, crime and social exclusion. If someone with a job and an income, who doesn't beat on his wife or neglect his kids, chooses to indulge in some mild urban pharmaceuticals, let him.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

United Airline

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:43 pm

Is it legal in USA? I know it's legal in Holland

PPVRA

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 pm

Quoting Bok269 (Reply 1):
Nope. Have no desire to smoke. Flying is how I get high.

Same here. Never have and have no desire. Heck I barely even drink.
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

avt007

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 54):
Drugs are a problem where they exacerbate existing social problems like unemployment, poverty, crime and social exclusion. If someone with a job and an income, who doesn't beat on his wife or neglect his kids, chooses to indulge in some mild urban pharmaceuticals, let him.

That's a very dangerous concept, my friend! By your thinking, I can smoke dope if I want, but my loser neighbour (who has no job in an economy where your average cadaver could get hired) should go to jail.
One rule for the rich, and another for the poor. That oughta start a few riots..... Big grin

JGPH1A

Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 57):
By your thinking, I can smoke dope if I want, but my loser neighbour (who has no job in an economy where your average cadaver could get hired) should go to jail.

No, I'm not saying he should go to jail. I'm saying he should get help, just as any addict should get help. Smoking dope should not be illegal for anyone. As a "crime" it's pretty feeble, as it harms nobody - at least no more than smoking tobacco does, and that's not illegal either (although in my opinion it should be, but that's another story).
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

avt007

Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:44 am

OK, I'm curious, why should tobacco be illegal, but not pot? If we had the chance to start over, I'd suggest alcohol and tobacco should both be banned. The toll on families and the world outweighs the benefits, and that's the whole basisi for my argument- do you think the benefits of legalization would outweigh the drawbacks? My opinion is no, and others are certainly entitled to feel different.

JGPH1A

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 59):
OK, I'm curious, why should tobacco be illegal, but not pot? If we had the chance to start over, I'd suggest alcohol and tobacco should both be banned. The

Tobacco should definitely be illegal - the damage is proven beyond doubt, and there is no visible medical benefit like pain relief. Marijuana may also have detrimental effects but there are at least some proven health benefits. Perhaps if, as you suggest, we go back and start again, both should be illegal, and so should alcohol. But then again, if you make them illegal, as has been proved time and again, it doesn't mean people won't go to extraordinary lengths to produce them or their equivalents - bottom line, people like to get a buzz on. People chew, ingest or smoke the wierdest shit to get toasted - they lick toads for God's sake. Seems it's an unavoidable part of the human experience, so it boils down to awareness of risks and consequences, and making an informed decision on how you personally choose to use these substances. People (slowly, I admit) are learning the hazards of smoking, and in 100 years time it will have passed into history. Alcohol has been around longer, and will never go away, because in moderation it causes no more harm than red meat, from a medical point of view. Who knows with marijuana - maybe it will go away along with smoking, as people learn to appreciate the harm it can do. We've been smoking tobacco at least 400 years, and Native Americans for a lot longer than that - the learning curve is slllowwww.

Bicoastal

Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:15 am

I get stoned occasionally. For me, it's a nice mellow high which induces a lot of reflection. It's comfortable, much like a martini or two...but not three. I can take it or leave it, never crave it, but enjoy it when I decide to get stoned. Never drive, nor work while high, but when I'm with friends at a party or at home, it's fun.

People who get stoned every day, much like people who get drunk every day, have a problem. But don't paint all of us with the same brush. I have friends who are doctors, attorneys, judges, accountants, construction workers, etc....and,
yes, even cops, who get high. It's not the evil drug that some believe it is. Abuse of anything is a problem. Don't single out dope.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

dc9northwest

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:24 am

No, thank you... I'm one of the few ones at my school that didn't at least try. I won't ever smoke it. If I end up trying I'll eat it. Whatever, I don't feel doing drugs is a good idea, even soft ones like this. For once, I know people who started with MJ, then cocaine, then opium, then LSD and ended up overdosing and ending up in the hospital...

So, in essence, screw that shit. Yeah, it's less dangerous than cigarettes, less dangerous than alcohol... But there's no reason to do it.

I think it should be legalized, because I suspect that usage rates would drop.

United Airline

Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:30 am

Never did and never will. Thanks

kmh1956

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:26 pm

Nice buzz, no hangover. Haven't done it in 20+ years, but I still recall them good old days....

What about Moroccan hash? Any good?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

redngold

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm

Personally, I think that there should be more investigation into marijuana as a medication; clinical trials are just as restricted as personal use. I've met a few people who have suggested that I smoke weed to relieve my anxiety, but those are people who don't respect my view on drug abuse. I'm also concerned that the side effects of marijuana use - memory loss, pulmonary and heart damage, impaired judgement - outweigh most of its benefits. But without more clinical trials, how will we know the difference between unrepeatable anecdotal evidence (personal testimonies, the most unreliable source) and scientific proof?
Up, up and away!

jafa39

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 65):
I've met a few people who have suggested that I smoke weed to relieve my anxiety,

That could be the very worst thing you could do, Mary Jane is a narcotic, hypnotic and can enhance moods, that means (and i have personal experence of this) that it can make an anxious person downright paranoid and messed up.

My cure for anxiety is to stop thinkng so much, I know you're a Christian but Zen Meditation will do you a power of good, switch off that internal dialogue....you can't be anxious if you aren't thinking....works for me, give it a try!  Smile

georgebush

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 66):
That could be the very worst thing you could do, Mary Jane is a narcotic, hypnotic and can enhance moods, that means (and i have personal experence of this) that it can make an anxious person downright paranoid and messed up.

Cannabis is a natural plant that grows in the ground. IF its natural, its technically better than cigarettes for you...
Al Gore invented global warming.

bagoldex

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:08 am

Quoting Ajd1992 (Reply 46):
they're really fucked up from it.

Would you care to expound upon how they are "fucked up" as you so accurately diagnose their "condition"?

waterpolodan

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:54 am

I haven't read through all of these replies, but I'm a bit of an unwitting expert on this subject thanks to my girlfriend, who is a neuroscience student and an avid potsmoker. She is the sort of person that researches everything she drinks/eats/smokes thoroughly before she puts it into her body, and this includes long talks with some of the leading professors in the neuroscience field and plenty of research in pyschopharmacology texts and such. In basic terms, science has been unable to prove that THC causes ANY longterm damage to cognition or any other function of the brain. There is an affect on short term memory retention, but that varies with the person and doesn't last very long at all, though that depends on the amount you smoke/eat. I don't know what most of this means, but she tells me that pot is beneficial because in people with an endocanabanoid shortage in their brains, it stimulates appetite and acts as an antidepressant. Also, it is a misconception that smoking can kill neurons, apparently it is quite the opposite, it fights exitotoxcicity which is what causes neural death in some diseases like Alzheimer's, and it also is the best anti-nausea medicine known to science. In her words, THC is about as intense a drug as caffeine, and much less addictive. Nicotine is a far more dangerous substance. Not a single person has EVER died from an overdose of THC, though with a strong enough injection it is theoretically possible, but eating/smoking it will never approach those levels.

Those are just a few of her many reasons she gave me for why pot is a benign substance that should be legalized and regulated like alcohol and tobacco. Personally, my subjective experience with pot is that it doesn't make you "stupid" or anything like that, it just makes you more of what you already are/feel. My girlfriend is brilliant and constantly questioning mechanisms in the brain and such, and when she is high she makes connections that she otherwise may not have made and does some excellent research in that state. For me, it makes me giddy and motivated for random adventures, which is basically how I always am, but with more euphoria and touch sensitivity than usual (speaking of which- sex on weed is something everyone should experience. It's wonderful).

Quoting Avt007 (Reply 2):
It's not good for you in any way, (unless you have cancer) it kills your short term memory, your motivation, and if you're caught, it can really screw up your life.

You are right about the being caught element... As smart as my gf is, she still sometimes travels with a little bit hidden on her in airports and such, which pisses me off when I find out because that sort of conviction, even if it is based on a law neither of us feels is sensible, could ruin her future career. Not worth it at all!

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
The ONLY way that I would ever legalize pot was if there were a field test the police could do in order to determine if someone was driving high.

You know, driving under the influence of any drug is a reckless and irresponsible thing, but I'll admit that I have driven fairly drunk and fairly high on a few occasions, and being high behind the wheel is MUCH safer than being drunk. At least in my case, I get paranoid that I'm going to kill someone so I become more focused on the road than when I'm dead sober and end up driving as if I had a femnazi dominatrix ready to viciously beat me for any road infraction in the passenger seat. I've also had my reaction time tested on a few occasions by unexpected manouvers by other cars, and it seems to me that I reacted just as quickly and smoothly as if I were sober, though I still think that it is reckless as other people may be more easily distracted when high.

waterpolodan

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:07 am

Also, my main objection with smoking weed was the fact that it involves inhaling smoke into your lungs, a very unnatural and unhealthy thing, which was bypassed when the girlfriend and I bought a vaporizer, which bakes the THC out of the weed and doesn't burn anything, giving you a clean bag full of THC. All the fun without the coughing  Wink. I don't want to come off like a pothead, though... I still never smoke more than 2 times a week, though she does probably every other day or more.

saxdiva

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Checkraiser (Thread starter):
IMO, the US has idiotic Marijuana laws.

So, if its legal where you live, do you use it?

Not legal here, and no, I don't use it. I agree that the current law is stupid, though.

Quoting Checkraiser (Thread starter):
If it's illegal where you live would you use it? You know...

Probably not, since my biggest issue isn't with marijuana--it's that I don't smoke, period, and I don't imagine the high would be worth coughing and hacking like an idiot the rest of the day.
See terms for details....

Maverick623

Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Waterpolodan (Reply 70):
I get paranoid that I'm going to kill someone so I become more focused on the road

No, you become more focused on your paranoia, and running through different scenarios that you are actually less aware of your surroundings, and your reaction time skyrockets like you wouldn't believe.
"PHX is Phoenix, PDX is the other city" -777Way

bagoldex

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 am

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 73):
No, you become more focused on your paranoia, and running through different scenarios that you are actually less aware of your surroundings, and your reaction time skyrockets like you wouldn't believe.

Would you care to cite a source on that? It's not so much that I doubt what you are saying, it's conceivable, but when such a statement comes from someone who works as a baggage handler at an airport, I naturally feel the need to question it as you obviously have no academic or intellectual qualifications to make a judgement worthy of being taken seriously by an educated audience. If it's personal experience, admit it but don't bullshit us with fabricated evidence to fit your personal agenda.

jafa39

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 67):
Cannabis is a natural plant that grows in the ground. IF its natural, its technically better than cigarettes for you...

Technically yes but not everyone is hard-wired to take the hit.

Quoting Maverick623 (Reply 72):

Quoting BAGoldEx (Reply 73):
If it's personal experience, admit it but don't bullshit us with fabricated evidence to fit your personal agenda.

I can back up what Maverick is saying, spot on and very well put. There has been research into reaction times and there is a lag.

but when such a statement comes from someone who works as a baggage handler at an airport, I naturally feel the need to question it as you obviously have no academic or intellectual qualifications to make a judgement worthy of being taken seriously by an educated audience

That is a pretty pompous set of assumptions there....how do you know this bag handler doesn't have a degree in neuropsychology?...or isn't an Autistic Savant? Or he may be just plain smarter than you....shouldn't judge people's intellectual capacity by their occupation as listed on the interwebs dude....

jafa39

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:29 pm

an educated audience.

On here? Get over yourself!!!  Wink

redngold

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Georgebush (Reply 67):
Cannabis is a natural plant that grows in the ground. IF its natural, its technically better than cigarettes for you

Tobacco is also a natural plant that grows in the ground. Smoking kills, no matter what you smoke.

[Edited 2007-12-04 15:27:54]
Up, up and away!

N1120A

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:36 pm

Don't smoke it, wouldn't smoke it. Then again, I don't drink either. I would, however, smoke pot before I would smoke a cigarette.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 12):
The ONLY way that I would ever legalize pot was if there were a field test the police could do in order to determine if someone was driving high.

They can pretty much already do that. Besides, you can just run a field sobriety test (or perhaps dangle some Taco Bell in front of them) and bring the person in for a blood or urine test based on that.

Quoting Cakentennis (Reply 19):
I don't understand why the government can't just make it legal and tax the hell out of it. They'll be able to regulate it and I'm sure people wouldn't mind paying 40% tax on marijuana.

Total agreement. It would add billions to our revenues

Quoting Acho (Reply 34):

By no way it legal in Mexico, and the country has very harsh laws against drugs.

Yet a massive amount of marijuana is grown in Mexico.

Quoting United Airline (Reply 55):
Is it legal in USA?

For medicinal use, in some jurisdictions.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 64):

What about Moroccan hash? Any good?

I wouldn't know, but there seemed to be quite a few very "happy" people in the Fes Medina when I was there a few weeks ago
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss