Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wingnut767
Topic Author

CNN: Corrupt News Network

Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:58 pm

A self-serving agenda was set for the Republican presidential debates.
December 1, 2007

THE United States is at war in the Middle East and Central Asia, the economy is writhing like a snake with a broken back, oil prices are relentlessly climbing toward $100 a barrel and an increasing number of Americans just can't afford to be sick with anything that won't be treated with aspirin and bed rest.

So, when CNN brought the Republican presidential candidates together this week for what is loosely termed a "debate," what did the country get but a discussion of immigration, Biblical inerrancy and the propriety of flying the Confederate flag?

Corruption is a strong word. But consider these facts: The gimmick behind Wednesday's debate was that the questions would be selected from those that ordinary Americans submitted to the video sharing Internet website YouTube, which is owned by Google. According to CNN, its staff culled through 5,000 submissions to select the handful that were put to the candidates. That process essentially puts the lie to the vox populi aura the association with YouTube was meant to create. When producers exercise that level of selectivity, the questions -- whoever initially formulated and recorded them -- actually are theirs.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...4122002.column?coll=la-home-center

Wow!!!! Finally someone in the newsprint media telling us what we had already known for a long time

CNN= Clinton News Network, Communist News Network and now a new one, the Corrupt News Network.

It has also now been revealed that Eisenberg, the hostage taker at Clinton office, called CNN during the crisis asking to talk to the owner of the Clinton News Network, Hillary herself.

Wolf Blitzer stated that " The cable news network decided not to reveal this before so it would not interfere with any negotiations". So Wolf and CNN have no problem dropping state secrets on us in order to make Bush look bad but the info on this nut-job had to be kept close to the vest. What a F***in Joke. They should be pulled off the Airways.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ea...play.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003679941

co777er

RE: CNN: Corrupt News Network

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:02 pm

Also add: Certainly Not News

Quoting Wingnut767 (Thread starter):
CNN= Clinton News Network, Communist News Network and now a new one, the Corrupt News Network.

skyservice_330

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:48 pm

What a F***in Joke. They should be pulled off the Airways.

By who? Are you advocating that the government start controlling the media?

slider

Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 2):
Are you advocating that the government start controlling the media?

What's worse? It's already beign controlled...

Unless people use intellect and engage their bullshit filter, it really doesn't matter.

PAHS200

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting CO777ER (Reply 1):
Also add: Certainly Not News

That would be Fox News.

has a hard core Republican, I would say 'yes', but I can't stand any other news network. Fox News tells nothing but Hollywood and stupid stories that have no meaning and they give nut-jobs air time. MSNBC is not real news at all. CNN, even through they are nuts, are the only ones who tell real news.

Mir

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm

A self-serving agenda was set for the Republican presidential debates

Did you watch the Democratic YouTube "debate"? It wasn't much better. The problem with the media is not so much bias as it is general uselessness.

The ability to creatively spin acronyms must make you feel really smart.  Yeah sure

-Mir

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

Did you watch the Democratic YouTube "debate"? It wasn't much better. The problem with the media is not so much bias as it is general uselessness.

Exactly what i was thinking. Both had equally stupid questions and made for equally stupid discourse from a very stupid idea. One thing that I found amusing in the Republican one was that it was a common theme for the candidates to jockey to be the bigger asshole. It goes both ways when the public wants their politicians to fit into a mold. The criticism that democrats and republicans get from each other for having views and positions against standard party protocol is disgusting. Black and white in a world of gray. Doesn't work.

So corruption? No. Incompetence? Yeah.

cumulonimbus

Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 4):
has a hard core Republican, I would say 'yes', but I can't stand any other news network. Fox News tells nothing but Hollywood and stupid stories that have no meaning and they give nut-jobs air time. MSNBC is not real news at all. CNN, even through they are nuts, are the only ones who tell real news.

CNN has it's bad points, but as a Rep. as well I have to agree. CNN gives me more real news then the others. Fox which I used to love has really went down the potty ever since Anna Nichole Smith died. Why waste someone who is as smart as Greta Van Susstren on such a trivial matter? I am tired of the Hollywood BS such as the nonstop Britney "Shears", and Paris hilton, Tom Cruise etc. I will stick with the semi left CNN for now because I can actually hear about world events still even though it is biased at times.

Mike a Republican.

[Edited 2007-12-03 12:23:49]

AirTranTUS

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:04 pm

I also read that at one Democratic debate, a college student who was going to ask about nuclear energy was told by CNN to ask "Diamonds or pearls" to Hillary. Are you serious?!?! This is not the time or place for f*ing games CNN! Ask real questions or get out!

cfalk

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:23 pm

That would be Fox News.

Couldn't overcome the reflex, eh?

Months ago, the Democratic field refused to come to a debate that was set up by Fox News, saying they were biased. So by that standard, should Republicans refuse to debate at CNN and MSNBC? I'm glad to say they have not, in spite of CNN's idiocy, including putting in democratic party campaigners as supposedly random Youtube submissions. The Republicans have debated in every major forum offered. The Dems will only debate in friendly venues.

When Fox hosted the Republicans a month or so ago, it was an excellent debate. The questions were hard and put the candidates on the spot, and forced them to respond. They even allowed some question and response between the candidates (i.e. real debate). It was by far the most informative debate I had yet seen in this campaign, and completely up to the best journalistic standards of debate-hosting. But the Dems don't want to show up on Fox. Why is that? Are they afraid of getting questioned by someone who is not a shill for them?

If the excuse is "they are not objective", that's a load of bull. All news organs are not objective. They are run by people, not machines, and it is inevitable that your own personal bias will creep into the presentation once in a while, no matter how much a person tries to restrain it. Whether it's in the phrasing of the questions, which questions you ask, to whom you ask them, etc. etc.

A responsible citizen (and candidate), will know that, and listen for the telltales and take them into account while watching (or participating in ) the debates.

PAHS200

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:39 pm

Quoting Cumulonimbus (Reply 7):
Fox which I used to love has really went down the potty ever since Anna Nichole Smith died.

I am tired of the Hollywood BS such as the nonstop Britney "Shears", and Paris hilton, Tom Cruise etc.

CNN for now because I can actually hear about world events

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

I can't agree with you any more. I was a big fan of Fox News and it really went down the drain. Don't forget their 20 minutes segments about Rosie O' Donald.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
Months ago, the Democratic field refused to come to a debate that was set up by Fox News, saying they were biased. So by that standard, should Republicans refuse to debate at CNN and MSNBC? I'm glad to say they have not,

Thats because they are weak and don't like the fact that not all media is to the left

dl021

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:51 pm

Are you advocating that the government start controlling the media?

No..that'd be the left with the demand they press for the "Fairness Act".

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):

Not really....when they stack the deck against Republicans and toss softballs at Democrats then they're actively manipulating. It's worse than useless...it's deceptive and an abuse of the 4th Estate.

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 9):
The Dems will only debate in friendly venues.

Well, can you blame them?

mham001

Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:53 pm

the economy is writhing like a snake with a broken back

It's always interesting how people have been talking down the economy for years, and yet the economy keeps proving them liars.

cfalk

Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting DL021 (Reply 11):
Well, can you blame them?

Very much so, yes.

wingnut767
Topic Author

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:39 pm

By who? Are you advocating that the government start controlling the media?

No I am advocating that they all start to actually give us the news instead of the politically filtered crap they push on us. How about the truth without an agenda

Quoting Mir (Reply 5):
The ability to creatively spin acronyms must make you feel really smart.

What an insult. You have wounded my pride. Did it take all day for you to think that one up??

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 12):
the economy is writhing like a snake with a broken back

It's always interesting how people have been talking down the economy for years, and yet the economy keeps proving them liars.

Yeah I noticed that line also. They constantly tell us bad news but the ecnomy keeps chugging on

Nuori5084

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:01 am

I call it the Communist News Network (CNN) because of how filtered their crap is and not news. It drives me crazy.

BUT, that Cristy Paul is worth looking at every now and then!

Aaron747

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:11 am

You're the joke. Wake up and realize that news, for better or worse, is a market entity. Producers and program directors respond to what their marketing surveys and ratings dictate as far as what people want to see from them. This is precisely the reason Americans are presented with a variety of networks and formats to choose from when they sit down to watch something. Do you really want the Chinese alternative with state-run TV?

If the situation regarding the GOP debates was as bad as you're depicting, than the candidates worth a damn would have boycotted the show.  

Something else that Lou Dobbs just pointed out on his show - the article's entire purpose was essentially to take issue with the message of his show and tie it in with the "corrupted" debate format. What Rutten left out of his treatise was the fact that he objects to just about any coverage that slams illegal immigration so don't think this little hit piece on CNN is without its own agenda (gee, do ya think an LA Times TV writer might garner more readership for slamming supposedly anti-immigrant coverage? pot. kettle. black.)  redflag 

So, why did CNN make immigration the keystone of this debate? What standard dictated the decision to give that much time to an issue so remote from the majority of voters' concerns? The answer is that CNN's most popular news-oriented personality, Lou Dobbs, has made opposition to illegal immigration and free trade the centerpiece of his neonativist/neopopulist platform. In fact, Dobbs led into Wednesday's debate with a good solid dose of immigrant bashing.

I watched that segment and Rutten has it all wrong. Dobbs was bashing the ineptitude of the government and the continued proposals of many to provide amnesty to illegals. If that constitutes "immigrant bashing" than this writer has absolutely zero credibility.

[Edited 2007-12-03 16:30:39]

JetBlueGuy2006

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:44 am

Quoting Nuori5084 (Reply 15):
BUT, that Cristy Paul is worth looking at every now and then!

yes 

CNN definately has its faults, as do all networks, but deliver far more news than others

Falcon84

Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:46 am

You say they DARE talked about IMMIGRATION? It's about fucking time! Not one of the people running for president, save Ron Paul, who is a crazy, will even bring up the subject! It's the most serious problem facing the Republic today, and both parties' are ignoring it, trying to sign up new Americans so fast that it makes your head spin. They WANT all these illegals to come here-never mind the fact they're ruining our economy, never mind the fact that, if they keep flooding in here, the Southwest U.S. will end up back in Mexico sooner than later; never mind the fact that they're fracturing this nation as if we're the Balkans.

Immigration, the economy and Iraq-should be the ONLY three subject even debated by the candidates.

czbbflier

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 am

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 16):
You're the joke.

My friend, we're on the same side in the substantive discussion further down your post, but this is a completely gratuitous comment. It serves no useful purpose at all.

Unfortunately, we have three factors that go against Joe Public. This is applicable to every media outlet, in every country with a 'free media'. The politicians, the media, and Joe Public him/herself.

1. The politicians learn about the boxed message approach. Maneuver the discussion so it reflects well on you and badly on your opponent. (And there's a formula to make that happen.) Say the same thing as your co-candidates. Keep it simple. Never, ever deviate from the message.

In their media training, they learn that they have to say the same thing 17 times before an individual actually hears what they're saying. So it makes for pretty boring news after it's been reported 15 times.

Finally, they're not wanting to address the person who has already made up his or her mind. Say one can safely say that 40% of the public is going to vote Republican no matter what happens and 40% is going to vote Democrat. That leaves a 20% segment of the population that is undecided. THEY are who the politicians are wanting to talk to. They can be influenced by EVERYTHING. How positively a politician comes across in the issues, or conversely, how angry, or combative. How he wears his tie or how she does her hair... these are all factors that matter because you never know how the voter makes up his or her individual mind.

2. The media is always angling for a different perspective. So they will do what they can to knock the politician 'off-message'. Remember Robert Dole falling off the stage? That made for great news because it was Dole showing that he was an inept klutz (not a fair representation of him, but showing Dole falling sold more newspapers and TV ads than another stump speech). Worse, the media is looking for a way, any way, to give people reasons why they might not want to vote for person A or person B.

If they've seen a UFO, they must be kooky. If they've smoked marijuana, they're obviously social degenerates. If they've had more than three wives they must have trust or faithfulness issues or else be unstable, or philanderers. If they don't do this then they must be such-and-such.

The message from the ultimate spinners, the media itself can be dissected from the narrative in the story. These media-types are wordsmith professionals. Every word (and more importantly, in TV, every image) in a report is carefully vetted to ensure that it is consistent with the perception that the reporter, the producers, the editors, the advertisers and ultimately the owners want.

3. The public is all very accepting of this because it's just easier to follow than it is to actually pay attention to the issues. Joe Public would like nothing better than for the politicians to suddenly 'make nice' and get along with each other. Voters would like to see a civilized debate of the issues and from the debate, a winner is declared. Unfortunately that's not how it works because sadly, the decision is made up in the mind of the voter and most aren't up to the task of actually paying attention to the upsides and downsides of an issue.

So the media would like nothing more than to have a Republican suddenly fall off the message and start ranting uncontrollably about how guns should be controlled or a Democrat spouting off about the illegality of abortion.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 18):
It's the most serious problem facing the Republic today, and both parties' are ignoring it, trying to sign up new Americans so fast that it makes your head spin. They WANT all these illegals to come here-never mind the fact they're ruining... *snip*

Oh, simmer down, will you? I'd say for you, immigration is the most important issue. For others probably not. But it isn't that either party actually "WANT(S) all these illegals to come here..." its just how do you raise the issue and not sound xenophobic to those people who would vote against a xenophobe but for a person who believes in illegal workers. It all depends on the delivery. If I were a Republican politician campaigning outside of the Southern States, I'd put illegal immigration down on my list of issues to discuss. If I were a Democrat, I'd keep it out of my literature because it's not an issue that puts the Democrats in control of the discussion agenda, but I'd probably raise it in rather unflattering terms in an all-candidates debate.

It doesn't matter what the issue is, the media will ALWAYS be on the winning side. They see the polls before everybody else so they know how to editorialize in such a way to add momentum to a certain poll. Fox News, for example, would, in their wording, downplay a poll that shows the Democrats ahead. They'll report the poll, in the name of 'balance' but it will be more a message near the end of the newscast that serves to motivate the Republican base to campaign harder. Likewise in the media that leans towards the Democrats.

Oh, one final thing... a politician is a fool to pick a fight with the media: "Never pick a fight with someone who buys ink by the barrel," was the sagest thing my former campaign manager told me. So you'll never see your elected representative 'take on' the media- or if they do, they do so at their peril.

Is CNN any better or any worse than any of the others? No. Is there any corruption at CNN or Fox? No. As Aaron747 points out the unfortunate reality these days,

Wake up and realize that news, for better or worse, is a market entity. Producers and program directors respond to what their marketing surveys and ratings dictate as far as what people want to see from them.

czbbflier

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:37 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 19):
its just how do you raise the issue and not sound xenophobic to those people who would vote against a xenophobe but for a person who believes in illegal workers.

I missed a rather important couple of words... but for a person who believes in "phasing-out" illegal workers.

wingnut767
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:59 am

You're the joke.

No, your the joke  box 

Do you really want the Chinese alternative with state-run TV?

If they actually give the real news then yes

Wake up and realize that news, for better or worse, is a market entity

Which is why the ratings are down on a lot of stations. CAN WE HAVE THE ACTUAL NEWS PLEASE

Falcon84

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 am

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 21):
CAN WE HAVE THE ACTUAL NEWS PLEASE

Let me guess: you watch the Republican News Network, err, FOX, right?

You want unbiased news, watch BBC or watch the news on PBS.

jpetekyxmd80

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:10 am

Yeah sure

cumulonimbus

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:15 am

No, your the joke

And your acting like a child with a lame comeback  Embarrassment

Umm Sure you can have that...  Yeah sure

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 22):

I want actual unbiased news as well. Falcon, as I said I am a republican but I will have to agree with you my liberal friend that BBC is quite decent for the news being unbiased. PBS..I have to disagree.

Aaron747

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:21 am

My friend, we're on the same side in the substantive discussion further down your post, but this is a completely gratuitous comment. It serves no useful purpose at all.

Point taken and agreed with. My remark was out of frustration with a slew of recent posts where the poster in question has established a penchant for being totally unable to grasp the finer points of things.

ltbewr

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:45 am

A number of factors have made real debate by political candidates impossible.
Almost all of the media in the USA, including much of the web (as with Google), is controlled by big corporations or gets it's income from other big corporations. As a result, solid questions that need to be asked won't be or so watered down so not to offend those who own and they make profit from.
Far too much of the American public doesn't care anything about politics or government on all levels. The see all politicians in the pockets of the rich and they don't have any way to fight back. Unions for generations did represent the working classes, but they too fell in their importance due to changes in business and industry as well as their own corruption. Many also don't have the time to read a newspaper or go to a range of media to get different views.
The politicians DON'T want to answer certain questions they should. In parts due to who pays for their campaigns (the rich), fear of offending their base in each party and not giving ammo to the other party to use against them.
Many issues defy a simple question and 'sound bite' answers. They are so complex and along with the fear of not offending those who pay for those campaigns or certain voter groups, they will avoid them or give simplistic answers like 'close the border' a standard answer to illegal immigration issues.
Certain sensational issues of personal character have become too important and can be played out by and against politicians. The public also likes too much hearing about sex and corruption about politicians and celebrities vs. the real news they need to know. The media love playing up 'character' issues as well as it means not discussing real issues. Also, sexual and character issues can be discussed today unlike the past.
Then you have the open book a campaign becomes. Your life and that of your extended family is exposed, you all lose all of your private life, minor mistakes get blown up out of proportion. That discourages all but the most hard skinned and sometimes power hungry people to run for public office.

Until we find a better balance of funding of candidates, the parties reform their processes to weed out candidates, the public end the obsession with certain character issues and ask about real issues, then we will never get out of the hole we are in. We need to deal with serious issues in America today at all levels of our government and we need the right people to do it.

wingnut767
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:20 pm

No I do not watch any of them. They are all crap.. FOX use to be decent but they have gone the way of glitz and glamour instead of actual news. This has nothing to do with politics. I just want unbiased, unfiltered stories without someones opinion interjected into it. At least Talk radio admits what they are. Not a news source but Conservative talk shows. The Lib press continues to say they are unbiased and that is a big lie.

Quoting Cumulonimbus (Reply 24):
No, your the joke

And your acting like a child with a lame comeback

No you are

Falcon84

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:56 pm

I honestly don't thnk the author wants "unbiased" news. I think he wants news that agrees more with his point of view than anything else.

To say it's the fault of the "lib" press is absurd. You can get the news if you look hard enough. Maybe subscribe to "The Week" magazine, and you might find some good news stories?

Aaron747

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:15 pm

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 27):
No you are

You might want to check the age indicated in your profile...there seems to be a glaring inaccuracy. What's a guy with your ideological bent reading a lefty rag like the LA Times for anyway?

wingnut767
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 29):
No you are

You might want to check the age indicated in your profile...there seems to be a glaring inaccuracy. What's a guy with your ideological bent reading a lefty rag like the LA Times for anyway?

More personal insults. Typical lefty response

Considering you are the one that stated with the childish response

You're the joke

My anger was aimed at the news sources and then you came along with your personal attack response. you have been watching the Clintons for to long.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 28):
I honestly don't thnk the author wants "unbiased" news

Honestly you have no idea what I want. What have I been saying below

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 14):
No I am advocating that they all start to actually give us the news instead of the politically filtered crap they push on us. How about the truth without an agenda

No I do not watch any of them. They are all crap.. FOX use to be decent but they have gone the way of glitz and glamour instead of actual news. This has nothing to do with politics. I just want unbiased, unfiltered stories without someones opinion interjected into it.

And I even included FOX news. Unbiased news with the actual facts is what I want. No glitz, glamour or any other crap.

Quoting Aaron747 (Reply 29):
lefty rag like the LA Times for anyway?

Found it on Drudge. I would neverr go to a lefty rag like thatt intentionally

cumulonimbus

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:04 pm

No you are

Yeah..I don't think you are the age indicated in your profile. I also think you should learn more about the world with saying things like "you want state run media". Oh and for being very foolish and just throwing random insults to people who disagree with you, welcome to my loser's pile.

Mike

wingnut767
Topic Author

Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:08 pm

I think he wants news that agrees more with his point of view than anything else.

Also when I want to something with my point of view I can listen to Rush, Savage or Baby Jesus. When I watch the NEWS I actually would like the NEWS. Not left or rifght filtered but actual stories they way it really happened. is thta to much to ask. No editing the facts or burying the important part at the bottom of the story or on page 68B because it does not fit your agenda.

You can get the news if you look hard enough

We should not have to look hard. That is my point. When you claim to be unbiased news then actually do it. We know where to find the biased stuff. That is easy

mham001

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:11 pm

I think the idea that the BBC presents things in an unbiased manner is complete BS. May have been at one time, but just yesterday I was reading the BBC report on the the intelligence report on Iran. It was full of two reporters personal opinions on the matter. I fail to see how anybody could define that as "unbiased" reporting.
On PBS TV, I think you can find the most unbiased reporting you are ever going to find in the US, The McNiel/Lehrer Hour. PBS radio is a joke though. Unbiased should be presenting all sides of the story as well as stories that may be uncomfortable for all sides. You don't hear that on PBS, you will mainly hear reports that are meant to make the right-leaning spectrum uncomfortable. Don't forget that good journalism includes WHAT you report, not just HOW.

Falcon84

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 32):
Also when I want to something with my point of view I can listen to Rush, Savage or Baby Jesus.

Who is "Baby Jesus"? Never heard of that name on talk radio. Just curious.

skywatch

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:01 pm

CNN, even through they are nuts, are the only ones who tell real news.

Nah. I see the stupidest headlines on there all the time. BBC is real news. Look no further.

---Skywatch

slider

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:40 pm

2. The media is always angling for a different perspective.

I disagree. They may angle for a more sensationalist perspective, but the media is, by and large, intellectually vapid, academically dishonest and ethically bankrupt. There is little hard reporting anymore, there is no factual explanation to viewers/listeners/readers about what, for example, government policies are all about and a discussion of that, it’s always about the 10 second sound bite, the pop culture shtick that dumbs us all down further.

Newspapers used to serve a valuable purpose in this regard, but scandal after shameful scandal of lying, fabrication of stories and sources outright, the institutional political agendas that many newspapers have have all in essence added up to a mass suicide. Whilst I usually tend to take on a cynical approach about people and their gullibility of the media, people have had it with newspapers. Maybe it’s the migration to the web and decentralized news sources, but no longer do the big alphabet networks have control over the true news, or the opinion, analysis and commentary that it drives. Print is dead. The evening TV anchor is dead in concept.

CNN has, from the very start, had a leftist leaning thanks to its founder Ted Turner. This is no secret nor is in deniable. That’s fine. Get the cards on the table. But the disingenuous BS is what I can’t stomach, when some talking head says—with a straight face—that integrity and objectivity are their goals. LMAO!!!

Falcon84

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:48 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 36):
But the disingenuous BS is what I can’t stomach, when some talking head says—with a straight face—that integrity and objectivity are their goals. LMAO!!!

Or, like "We Report, You Decide", and "Fair and Balanced"?  Big grin

slider

Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:53 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 37):
Or, like "We Report, You Decide", and "Fair and Balanced"?

All of them.

My indictment of CNN is not a de facto endorsement of Fox.

czbbflier

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 am

10 second sound bite....

checkmark Thanks, that was a point I realized I missed after the "edit this post" cutoff was past. I agree with all your other points, but I think the sound-bite is only a part of the problem (albeit it a significant one.) Here's the scary part: it's actually 7 seconds that the point has to be made and research has shown that peoples' attention spans are now down to 4 seconds, so sound bites are getting even shorter. Public Policy formulation in 4 seconds. Yay.  Yeah sure

They may angle for a more sensationalist perspective, but the media is, by and large, intellectually vapid, academically dishonest and ethically bankrupt.

Alas, you're right. An angle is an angle- even if it is vapid fluff. Perhaps as it is in politics, the 'Lowest Common Denominator Wins', whatever sells the most advertising! banghead 

slider

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 39):
Thanks, that was a point I realized I missed after the "edit this post" cutoff was past. I agree with all your other points, but I think the sound-bite is only a part of the problem (albeit it a significant one.) Here's the scary part: it's actually 7 seconds that the point has to be made and research has shown that peoples' attention spans are now down to 4 seconds, so sound bites are getting even shorter. Public Policy formulation in 4 seconds. Yay.

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 39):
Perhaps as it is in politics, the 'Lowest Common Denominator Wins', whatever sells the most advertising!

Great points and both very much related. You know, there used to be a time when we'd strive to reach the upper echelon and bring people up to a level of understanding. Now newspapers are written in what, second grade grammar, TV broadcasts are dumbed down, shortened up, and the attention span of people is zapped.

Ever notice how we're busier than ever and yet technology is supposed to make our lives easier? So much of it is non-value added, it's not even funny.

Thomas Jefferson once said that though the people may acquiesce, they cannot approve what they do not understand. He was speaking in context of education but I believe it can be applied in this sense too (don't get me started on the failings of education!) Who in 2007 conveys that understanding? If intellect doesn't win the day, then we are in fact puppets, lemmings, sheeple. That's when the oligarchy takes control, aided and abetted by an all too willing press that traded integrity for money and power a long time ago.

And that's why I am admittedly gravely concerned if not outright sometimes in despair about the state of our Republic because I wonder in this age of rampant technology, sensory overload if we've devolved so much so that country means nothing against the backdrop of everything else.

czbbflier

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:01 am

Quoting Slider (Reply 40):
And that's why I am admittedly gravely concerned if not outright sometimes in despair about the state of our Republic

It's not just the Republic of the United States.... Canada has similar failings- except we don't have the likes of Thomas Jefferson to quote. Maybe that's because our first prime minister, Sir John A. MacDonald was an alcoholic. In an earlier day, 'religion was the opiate of the masses'. Now that opiate is television.

But hey- political bafflegab has been around a long time: try this one: "Conscription if necessary but not necessarily conscription." --William Lyon Mackenzie King, during Conscription Plebescite, 1942 (Prime minister of Canada during WWII).

wingnut767
Topic Author

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:00 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 34):
Who is "Baby Jesus"? Never heard of that name on talk radio. Just curious.

Sean Hannity

Quoting Slider (Reply 38):
All of them.

My indictment of CNN is not a de facto endorsement of Fox.

Ditto.

Good points slider

slider

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 41):
Now that opiate is television.

And sports!

I love sports as much as the next guy, but there is a total lack of perspective here too. Sports is front and center and it's a sad testament when athlete's outrageous salaries get more play than, oh, unchecked illegal immigration. And when grown men can recite some obscure sports stat of zero relevance but can't tell you anything about the Constitution, or their homeowner's association covenants, or their mortgage terms, etc, that's sad.

I know this is focusing on the media, but it's part of the holistic whole entity, in my book.

CALTECH

Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:02 pm

The TV 'news' media has gone down the drain, we all pay for this travesty. Fox News has gone downhill, CNN sucks, and all the others too, the ratings reflect this. Newspapers are going down in circulation. For all the liberal or democrats out there, the same way you feel about Fox News is the way conservative or republicans feel about ABC, CBS, CNN, NBC, and all the other stuff out there. Why do you think the ratings for Fox News shot up and surpassed CNN ? Conservatives and republicans wanted something better then the others had been giving for a long while. Your views are reflected on CNN and the others, so you think it is balanced, where a conservative or republican says what a left bias it has. The same thing about Fox News can be applied. Whoever did this, or if it just happened, it is sad that America is truly divided. United we stand, divided we fall. The American people get screwed again.

RJwrench85

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:51 pm

Anyone want to enter "The No-Spin Zone"? I really enjoy watching the news everyday to stay current on everything going on around me. I do like Fox News better than CNN but BBC is way better than CNN. I dont know what that says about me but you do have to wonder why Fox has surpassed everyone else.

I have been in China for 2 months now and let me tell ya, You get the news alright but it is always good news. This big business meeting or that New factory. Rarely do you see anything really negative or persay that interesting. The most negative thing I have seen here was an article and TV story about the pollution for the Beijing 2008 games and how they are spending 2billion to clean the rivers and some lake that noone could swim in.

OA260

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:56 pm

I watch CNN/Fox News/BBC/SKY News/Al Jazeera and then have a balanced view and make my own mind up whats trash and whats not !!! I dont trust any single view , I like a mixture .

JoKeR

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:41 pm

Maybe a bit harsh but CNN is definitely a propaganda machine, frequently dominated by bias reporting. I think that their international reputation is quite low and that they lost the credibility they once - possibly had.

When I see that Amanpour woman, I get very nasty "urges". I can't stand her!  irked 

TheCol

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:07 pm

Quoting Cumulonimbus (Reply 24):
PBS..I have to disagree.

Me too. PBS is more biased than the CBC.

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 41):
But hey- political bafflegab has been around a long time: try this one: "Conscription if necessary but not necessarily conscription." --William Lyon Mackenzie King, during Conscription Plebescite, 1942 (Prime minister of Canada during WWII).

I got a better one for you: