Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

stratosphere
Topic Author

Here We Go Again Another Taser Story

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:08 am

Is it me or is there an inordinate amount of tasering going on lately. I won't begin to put myself in the mind of a cop but I think a lot of these cops are pretty quick to put the juice to someone. But this story I guess I can understand the cops doing it even though is unfortunate.

http://www.kwch.com/global/story.asp?s=7446220

skywatch

RE: Here We Go Again Another Taser Story

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:17 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Thread starter):
Is it me or is there an inordinate amount of tasering going on lately.

It's not just you....it's the media. Policeman have been tasering people for a lot longer than the last few months. For some reason, the media has been fascinated with the subject as of late, thus creating a big stink over a formerly overlooked issue.

---Skywatch

ETStar

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:51 am

Quoting Skywatch (Reply 1):
Policeman have been tasering people for a lot longer than the last few months

I don't know why, but I found this statement to be funny ...

NWA742

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:14 am

I won't begin to put myself in the mind of a cop but I think a lot of these cops are pretty quick to put the juice to someone

boggled 

-NWA742

NeilYYZ

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:27 am

But if it weren't for the taser on a call like this the police would have only had their real guns to rely on, and since it was a shooting call you can bet they would have had them drawn. I don't know whether or not they would have shot him, but I'm glad the the gentleman is alright, and the worst he got was tased. The whole situation is horrible, and from the article you can tell that the police felt bad, unfortunate that they didn't know the gentleman was deaf before they made their entry.

It certainly does seem en vogue for the media to be all over taser use however.

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:56 pm

I won't begin to put myself in the mind of a cop but I think a lot of these cops are pretty quick to put the juice to someone.

The media is reporting on them more suddenly. Also, keep in mind if most of the people in these stories encountered officers without tasers there still would have been some kind of a use of force. However, the media does not report on every use of a baton, OC spray, or bare hands.

This quote kind of sums up the situation:

"Police wish it never happened, but with the information they had at the time, their choices were limited."

People have to understand police work is dangerous and the people who do it really want to go home at the end of their shift. Sometimes that means if in doubt, use a little force. The "victim" here doesn't even sound that bent out of shape over it.

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:33 pm

Is it me or is there an inordinate amount of tasering going on lately.

Neither, it's the media . . .

There's no more or less "tasering" going on today than yesterday or tomorrow.

. . . . .

Bad situation all the way around though. I saw this on CNN this morning also.

Deaf man in his house, the call was for a shooting, police didn't know - had no way of knowing - the man was deaf.

WildcatYXU

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:35 pm

Very bad and tasteless joke. The caller definitely deserves a good kick to.... BTW, isn't a false call like this a felony?

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 6):

Deaf man in his house, the call was for a shooting, police didn't know - had no way of knowing - the man was deaf.

Besides him pointing to his ears and saying "I can't hear!"? (and the cops said he wasn't showing his hands? He had no where to hide them!)

Every single one of the completely deaf people i've talked to have also had speech impediments which would give it away almost instantaneously.

This tazing was completely uncalled for. Sorry, even I could figure out an old naked deaf guy isn't much of a threat that a few officers couldn't bring down without the use of a tazer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against the use of the tazer in the correct situations. But in cases like this where it appears that no threat was presented (I am not a police officer, so keep that in mind  Smile ) this use of force was unjustified. Remember it's the police's word against the man's word. I wonder who they'll believe more?

[Edited 2007-12-05 07:51:57]

bagpiper

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 8):

Well, its good to know somebody here has a complete handle on the situation. Maybe we should setup some training sessions with the police, so you can tell them when to do what and when not to do what. Maybe I could come too?

Yeah sure

We were just talking about how the media is inaccurate in their reporting - so you trust a biased story like this? I hope you're kidding.

SBBRTech

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:03 pm

BTW, are civilians allowed to have tasers themselves? Do you have to apply for a license or something?

I think such a device would be a great help for cuting back on our murder's rate (beats Iraq annual deaths by a zillion). Muggers could go on robbing and tasing people instead of shooting them on the head for any foolish reason.

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:15 pm

(I am not a police officer,

Armchair copper . . . Ahhhh, that explains this:

This tazing was completely uncalled for. Sorry, even I could figure out an old naked deaf guy isn't much of a threat that a few officers couldn't bring down without the use of a tazer.

Well done.

I'll be sure to call you next time I'm up to my ass in the middle of shooting call - deaf naked man notwithstanding - for guidance on what to do next.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:34 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 11):
deaf naked man notwithstanding

If it is cold outside, the gloves wreak havoc with finger spelling. Although you do have an extra digit available.  Wink

Farcry

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:46 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 12):
deaf naked man notwithstanding

If it is cold outside, the gloves wreak havoc with finger spelling. Although you do have an extra digit available.

Now that's a very upstanding remark. Unless it's THAT cold. Wink

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting Farcry (Reply 13):
Unless it's THAT cold.

Hence, bone cold.

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:31 pm

Well done.

I'll be sure to call you next time I'm up to my ass in the middle of shooting call - deaf naked man notwithstanding - for guidance on what to do next.

Look, the police serve the public. They are under intense scrutiny for everything they do. This incident does not look good in the eyes of the public. Not everything needs to be solved with force. This one certainly didn't.

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:34 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 15):
This one certainly didn't.

Armchair copper . .

From which Police Academy did you graduate?

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:38 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):

The academy of Common Sense, if you'd like to know.

How would you've handled this if you didn't have a tazer?

EWRCabincrew

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 16):

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 17):

This should be good (brings popcorn)  stirthepot 

You need a lot more than common sense to handle any given police situation. It helps, but you need a hell of a lot more than that. That is common sense.

bagpiper

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:49 pm

oooooh yay!!!! Another cops-are-idiots-and-need-to-do-thing-the-way-I-would thread! I can't wait to see how this one will turn out!

*cheers* Go ANCFlyer!

devil   fight   fight   tombstone   checkeredflag   praise 

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 18):
This should be good (brings popcorn)

Nope, not going to be anything . . .

I'm done here.

Not worth my time and energy . . .

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm sure there's an innocent victim waiting somewhere to be harrassed by me and my crew . . .

biggrin 

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 19):
Another cops-are-idiots-and-need-to-do-thing-the-way-I-would thread!

I have a lot of respect for the police. But like every other job, there are some good ones, and some bad ones, and some that take the easy road and use excessive force. In my opinion it's the latter.

We wouldn't be seeing tazer stories all over the place if people didn't think they were being abused. Capiche?

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:32 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 21):
We wouldn't be seeing tazer stories all over the place if people didn't think they were being abused. Capiche?

Thats pretty idiotic.

You also probably think we wouldn't see stories all over the news about how bad Iraq is going if it were going well because the media only reports the absolute 100% truth.

So what state is your license good in?

Not everything needs to be solved with force. This one certainly didn't.

Because you were there. Right?

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 10):
BTW, are civilians allowed to have tasers themselves?

Stun guns are available to civilians. I am not positive about the actual police model Tasers being available to the public.

None of us were there so it is hard to say. Without a Taser there is probably a pretty good chance the deaf guy would have been shot depending on how he reacted. The story doesn't give the details about exactly why the man was Tased, the report might not be public yet.

My department does not yet carry Tasers. However we have more than a few stories of pepper spraying combative people who were in diabetic shock. Every single one of them acted, sounded, and smelled like a combative drunk. Did our "misuse" of OC spray make the news? Nope. Why? OC isn't currently something the media is obsessing over.

slider

Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
People have to understand police work is dangerous and the people who do it really want to go home at the end of their shift. Sometimes that means if in doubt, use a little force.

Yeah, just rough 'em up and tase them when a deaf naked dude who poses NO THREAT and tells you he CAN'T HEAR comes out of the shower.

You know, we can all agree cops have a tough job. But dammit, this is another BS instance of going over the line for no reason. To Protect and Serve. What ever happened to that serving part? Serving the common good, finding ground with someone, communicating. This is not the Old West. Tase first ask questions later is becoming far too common.

MaverickM11

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:08 pm

I heard on NPR that 300 people have died from tasers in 6 years. I believe peanuts kill about twice as many people. Are tasers really a problem or has the media just decided to focus on tasers recently?

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
or has the media just decided to focus on tasers recently?

yes 

N74JW

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 5):
"Police wish it never happened, but with the information they had at the time, their choices were limited."

If that is the case, they need to adjust their decision making processes.

Every single one of the completely deaf people i've talked to have also had speech impediments which would give it away almost instantaneously.

I guess they did not go over that in the academy

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 9):
We were just talking about how the media is inaccurate in their reporting - so you trust a biased story like this?

The media is going after ratings, and tasers are the story du jour.

Quoting SBBRTech (Reply 10):
BTW, are civilians allowed to have tasers themselves?

I think that depends on the state, in my state, no...

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 24):
has the media just decided to focus on tasers recently?

I'd like to taser the media sometimes.

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:19 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 26):
If that is the case, they need to adjust their decision making processes.

Easy to say from a desk in an office.

bagpiper

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:20 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 21):

Wow. Do you think the media is 100% accurate, unbiased, and truthful? Please, answer that, no BS, just answer it, yes or no. Also, we all know they have their agendas. Whether you like Fox, CNN, ABC, NBC, The Onion (kidding), or whatever, they all have their agendas and are biased. So, if they don't like tasers, well, guess what? You'll hear how bad tasers are. Common sense - funny thing that you graduated from the Academy of Common Sense (by the way, that was an incredibly dumb statement that through your credibility right out the window).

Quoting Slider (Reply 23):
You know, we can all agree cops have a tough job. But dammit, this is another BS instance of going over the line for no reason. To Protect and Serve. What ever happened to that serving part? Serving the common good, finding ground with someone, communicating. This is not the Old West. Tase first ask questions later is becoming far too common.

ok, so, because none of us are perfect, we are going to err sometimes. Is it better to err on the side that will harm the cop, or the side that will harm the suspect?

I can see it argued both ways. However, now, with tasers, the cops aren't going to kill a suspect like they might if they have to put a bullet through them. So, it protects the cop more, as well as the the suspect. So no, tasers aren't out of hand, nor do cops go on killing sprees with them.

I know my local PD, every time a taser is used, the cop goes on administrative leave for 1 week, while it is investigated. Doesn't matter how he used it - correctly or incorrectly, or how the outcome was - good or bad. Far from rampant tasering that is out of hand.

Bottom line is, you guys haven't gone through the training, haven't been tased yourself (again, local PD makes their officers tase each other before being allowed to use one), probably haven't ever been in a situation like that. Sure, the media makes it sound bad - but when you add in their bias, and all their pure CRAP, you'd be an idiot to believe the story that fits their agenda so perfectly, in my opinion.

N74JW

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 27):

Wasn't always the case. CaptObvious...

Jpax

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:53 pm

This one clearly sounds like an honest mistake. Responding to a gun call, expecting someone armed and potentially dangerous, and finding someone who refuses to listen to should give a little scare to anyone. I say good call by the cops, but an unfortunate ending. Although, couldn't they have maybe noticed he was acting a bit....deaf?

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Jpax (Reply 30):
Although, couldn't they have maybe noticed he was acting a bit....deaf?

OK, how does one "act" deaf?

Help me out there . . . .

I agreen the situation is screwed, but I'm still laughing - hysterically - at the arm chair coppers in this thread . . . not pointing a finger at you JPax . . . just posing a question . . .

How does someone "act" deaf?

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:15 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 29):

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 27):

Wasn't always the case. CaptObvious...

Thats the same thing our Captain at work says.. Then he promptly turns around and orders a patrol car with a cloth back seat and carpet floors.

Then he wonders why we don't read his emails.

N74JW

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm

C'mon, does it really make a difference where one sits? Cops get paid to use their brains, a tool which should help them keep the peace an enforce the law. Doesn't sound like they were doing that in this case.

Maybe you should read your Capt's e-mail. He is the Captain and made it there for a reason. Why aren't you Capt? Not enough time in grade?

slider

Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:43 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 28):
Is it better to err on the side that will harm the cop, or the side that will harm the suspect?

Unless there is imminent danger, and in this case I personally don't believe there was based on the story I am aware of, how about they not make the error in the first place?

I know my local PD, every time a taser is used, the cop goes on administrative leave for 1 week, while it is investigated. Doesn't matter how he used it - correctly or incorrectly, or how the outcome was - good or bad. Far from rampant tasering that is out of hand.

Great, a week's paid vacation. That's a real incentive to think about what you've done...

The one thing I'm a liberal on is the 14th amendment, and that extends to the over-reaching of police power. It is far too frequent.

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Wow. Do you think the media is 100% accurate, unbiased, and truthful? Please, answer that, no BS, just answer it, yes or no. Also, we all know they have their agendas. Whether you like Fox, CNN, ABC, NBC, The Onion (kidding), or whatever, they all have their agendas and are biased. So, if they don't like tasers, well, guess what? You'll hear how bad tasers are. Common sense - funny thing that you graduated from the Academy of Common Sense (by the way, that was an incredibly dumb statement that through your credibility right out the window).

No, of course I don't think the media is always accurate, unbiased, and truthful. (I do like The Onion, though). But no matter which way the media leans, they've had stories on tazer incidents.

However, there are 3 sides to this story. The police officers' side, the victim's side, and the truth.

The common sense thing was a joke, apparently you didn't get the memo. But I could care less how credible you think I am, you don't know me.

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 31):

How does someone "act" deaf?

Well, it depends. If they were born deaf or with a severe loss, they will have a significant speech impediment. If that wasn't the case, pointing to your ears and saying "I can't hear" would surely be a hint, wouldn't you think?

DC10extender

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 pm

Sorry, even I could figure out an old naked deaf guy isn't much of a threat that a few officers couldn't bring down without the use of a tazer.

If there is one thing you must know, it is too never underestimate someone.

Not everything needs to be solved with force. This one certainly didn't.

Well, I guess you were there so of course you know.  Yeah sure

First off, you have no common sense if you don't take the necessary precautions to protect yourself. Secondly, the officers might have used chemical spray, a baton, or gone hands on. Let us also remember this was originally a shooting call. All of these have a much greater potential for injury than a taser.

Quoting Slider (Reply 23):
ut dammit, this is another BS instance of going over the line for no reason. To Protect and Serve. What ever happened to that serving part?

Is there any way that you have never been served by law enforcement. Please tell me. Or are you just another person who seems to find all sorts of wrongs from things that don't even effect them. It is whiny citizens like you that make the job hard.

I am still in training but I have seen it all from ride alongs and the training that I receive. Let me tell you, the taser is an absolutely amazing tool. It is non-lethal, and the officer isn't affected by it like they would be with a chemical spray, or if they had to go hands on. It is probably the safest method there is to gaining control of the situation. I know that when I start as a regular police officer, I will be glad to have the taser as an option.

WildcatYXU

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 36):
It is whiny citizens like you that make the job hard.

First of all, you should remember one fact: all these whiny citizens that make the job hard will pay once your salary, same way as they pay the salaries of every cop at this site. So I guess they deserve some respect.

Secondly, all what you call whining is a form of public scrutiny of the police work. You apparently hate it, as apparently some other cop members do, but generally, it's a good thing. Police work is a service to society and as such, it needs to be scrutinized. Life in a society where the police is allowed to do anything and the citizen basically nothing (That would be an easy job, eh?) sucks for everybody, including the cops. I have my experience with living in such society and believe me, you wouldn't like it.

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:34 pm

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 37):

Secondly, all what you call whining is a form of public scrutiny of the police work. You apparently hate it, as apparently some other cop members do, but generally, it's a good thing. Police work is a service to society and as such, it needs to be scrutinized. Life in a society where the police is allowed to do anything and the citizen basically nothing (That would be an easy job, eh?) sucks for everybody, including the cops. I have my experience with living in such society and believe me, you wouldn't like it.

thumbsup 

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 33):
Why aren't you Capt? Not enough time in grade?

The only way someone gets to be a captain at a department as small as mine is wait for the current guy to retire or die. This guy still looks pretty healthy and has about 15 years until retirement. I don't plan to still be wearing a polyester uniform in 15 years.

C'mon, does it really make a difference where one sits?

You clearly have no idea what goes on in the back of a police car. All the puking, peeing, bleeding, shitting, etc. Just like you have no idea what goes on when the police respond to a call. You can stop babbling now.

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 35):
Well, it depends. If they were born deaf or with a severe loss, they will have a significant speech impediment. If that wasn't the case, pointing to your ears and saying "I can't hear" would surely be a hint, wouldn't you think?

I guess they taught you that in "Common Sense University" eh?

Missed the point entirely.

Perhaps - on the off chance you'd attended a Police Academy - you'd understand the question . . . . . sarcastic 

You apparently hate it, as apparently some other cop members do, but generally, it's a good thing.

Don't hate it at all - but I think such scrutiny ought to have value!!! Disrespect for law enforcement officers that enforce the laws because some bastard (not this case by the way) deserved to get his/her ass handed to him/her is NOT valuable scrutiny. It's whining. It's sniveling. It's bullshit.

. . . . . . . . . . .

Moron gets zapped by UHP:

A-Net Air Chair Cops Answer: Cops Suck

Moron gets zapped by Police Desk Sergeant:

A-Net Arm Chair Cops Answer: Cops Suck

Speeding ticket issued:

A-Net Arm Chair Cops Answer: Cops Suck.

"We pay your salary". Well, I'm quite frackin' aware of that . . . . and well, quite frankly I'm the one that's gonna have to pull your ass outta the fire one day and it doesn't matter to me whether or not you were just calling me an asshole and talking bad about my heritage. THAT'S what I get paid to.

All the sniveling crowd here are the very same scofflaws that wouldn't have the balls to run into a burning building, or confront an armed person on the street, go drag some dead person outta the cab of their 18 wheeler. Nope, but you clowns can surely sit there in the comfort of your office, or your cockpit, or your - usually - high school class/Mom's house bedroom and tell us all about how we suck and how we oughta do this and oughta do that . . . .

Well . . . when you put on the blue and take your asses out on the street and deal with it, in all the weather, 24/7, then pipe up. Until then, your credibility sucks, you're nothing but a bunch of sniveling crybabies that haven't got the gut to say a tenth of what you type here to any - ANY - cop eye ball to eye ball.

Pathetic, truly pathetic lot.

joness0154

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 40):

"We pay your salary". Well, I'm quite frackin' aware of that . . . . and well, quite frankly I'm the one that's gonna have to pull your ass outta the fire one day and it doesn't matter to me whether or not you were just calling me an asshole and talking bad about my heritage. THAT'S what I get paid to.

All the sniveling crowd here are the very same scofflaws that wouldn't have the balls to run into a burning building, or confront an armed person on the street, go drag some dead person outta the cab of their 18 wheeler. Nope, but you clowns can surely sit there in the comfort of your office, or your cockpit, or your - usually - high school class/Mom's house bedroom and tell us all about how we suck and how we oughta do this and oughta do that . . . .

Well . . . when you put on the blue and take your asses out on the street and deal with it, in all the weather, 24/7, then pipe up. Until then, your credibility sucks, you're nothing but a bunch of sniveling crybabies that haven't got the gut to say a tenth of what you type here to any - ANY - cop eye ball to eye ball.

Pathetic, truly pathetic lot.

Did we get some sand in the panties on the last trip to the beach?

You're getting angry because some of us disagree with the way things were handled in this situation. Last I checked, I am able to voice my opinion on things even if I haven't put on the shoes. I don't recall any of us talking bad about police officers. In fact I said the exact opposite. Some officers do abuse their power, those are the ones that you should be calling a truly pathetic lot. Lighten up.

DC10extender

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 41):
I don't recall any of us talking bad about police officers.

Well then what the hell were you doing?

ANCFlyer

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:06 pm

Did we get some sand in the panties on the last trip to the beach?

Nope . . . just pointing out the blindingly frackin' obvious.

Crybaby, sniveling, whiney-assed lot without the balls to do the job themselves . . . without the intestinal fortitude to go eye to eye with any cop and spew the bullshit they spew here.

If the boot fits . . .

You're getting angry

Angry!  rotfl 

It's the internet, how angry could I get at a computer screen  sarcastic .

What I'm doing is making an ass out of the whiney, sniveling, cry baby Momma'sboyz on this site . . . that's what I'm doing.

CaptOveur

Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:06 pm

I guess they taught you that in "Common Sense University"

I think it was the Common Sense Academy

Police work is a service to society and as such, it needs to be scrutinized.

And we get scrutinized constantly by the horribly incompetent individuals our respective departments stick behind a desk to tell us all how to do a job they were unwilling (or unable) to do. Consider this our chance to vent. This is also our chance to vent at the douchebags who bitch at us all night at work.

Maybe you should read your Capt's e-mail. He is the Captain and made it there for a reason.

Wanna know his story? I got it from his FTO (my previous supervisor) personally. Short form is during a training practical he drew down on a guy (with a live weapon) in a bathrobe who was not a threat. He was moved to supply where he had plenty of time to do training, get meaningless certifications kiss ass, and get promoted. Eventually they made him patrol commander. He hasn't written a report in about 10 years and is lucky if he can hit the broad side of a barn with his weapon. I work midnights, we are a department of less than 100 people and he can't even recognize the faces of most of the people on my shift. You know, the shift that makes 95% of the arrests and generates the most offense reports. Also, this is the same shift that nobody gets promoted from because they are all too busy working to play politics. If it is important my Sgt brings it up at briefing- She has to put up with his shit. I don't have time to read 20 emails a day about the dangers of wiping back to front.

The whole "I pay your salary" thing is so tired. If you look at what I make (which isn't shit) and compare it to your tax bill you probably don't even pay 1 month of my salary.

joness0154

Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:58 am

Quoting DC10extender (Reply 42):

Well then what the hell were you doing?

I was criticizing the officers use of the tazer in this incident. I guess I can't respect police officers and criticize bad judgment at the same time?

scottieprecord

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:26 am

ANC it always bothered me that you chimed in nearly every cop thread and beat down anyone who put any scrutiny whatsoever on the cop... buttt after reading that post, I completely understand why you do. lol

As for the media over-reporting on the taser issue, what do you expect?? Here's yet another taser thread on Anet generating a decent response. The Utah highway taser video has 1.2 million views in two weeks! People are obviously interested and it's the media's job to report on what seem like relevant issues of the time. You want them to stop reporting on it, then stop talking about it.

bagpiper

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 45):
I guess I can't respect police officers and criticize bad judgment at the same time?

IMO, sometimes it comes to the professionals to make that scrutinization.

What would happen if the US Citizens became the judges for internal investigations in the CIA, FBI, all police departments, justice systems, etc? Yes, over-doing it, but I think you see the point.

Imagine if the whole of the US went down on NASA for one of their several space tragedies? Sure, they goofed - at the time of the accident, no average US citizen could really judge NASA for what happened, right? AFAIK, the Challenger went down because of some frozen or defective or damaged O-Rings on the boosters. If we had the whole entire US telling NASA what they thought the problem was, would anything get done?

Yes, the incident this thread is about seems bizzare to me. Tasering a naked man - what the hell? But, the difference is the attitude - I trust that the cops on site had a better idea of what was going on, and are FAR, FAR, FAR more capable to make decisions in that regard than I am. I'm 17, and never touched a taser. These guys have been zapped by them in order to use them, in most cases. So, at times, IMO, the "criticizing bad judgment" should be left to the PD, US gov't, and those with knowledge on the issue. Just like the NASA tragedies - the judgment should be left to the US gov't.

Now, if it is something you witnessed, such as an officer giving a ticket to a guy who ran into some idiot who dashed in front of him, that *might* be a different story. I say might, because you don't know everything that was going on - speed, mental impairment (DUI, etc).

But, you did not hear the 911 call of this supposed "shooting", nor were you in the room when the guy got tasered. Hell, you don't even know if he was deaf from birth or not, like you claim. Maybe he lost his hearing, and has perfectly good speech? After all, he had a hearing aid, according to the article.

Thanks for reading  Smile

joness0154

Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:53 am

It was a good read and I respect your opinion

But my thoughts are that public scrutiny actually tends to improve service that a company (or governmental organization) provides. How many of the past tazer incidents (ie Utah and the Canadian airport one) would've undergone such an intense investigation if they weren't so heavily scrutinized by the public? Public scrutiny tends to do good things that otherwise might not have been done.

[Edited 2007-12-05 22:11:24]

Mir

Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting WildcatYXU (Reply 7):
Very bad and tasteless joke. The caller definitely deserves a good kick to.... BTW, isn't a false call like this a felony?

If it was a prank, then yes, the caller should go to jail for a long time. Calling in a fake emergency is bad enough, but calling in a fake shooting? If the cops didn't have the tasers, they might have ended up shooting the guy, and then what?

-Mir