Mortyman
Topic Author

Nobel Gore Flies Into Oslo With Continental

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:07 am

Nobel Peace Price Winner Al Gore arrived in OSlo, Norway on a scheduled Continental flight and took the airport train into Oslo instead of using the provided Limo. Tipper and friends and family were also with him.

http://www.aftenposten.no/english/local/article2140795.ece

flyingclrs727

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:24 am

Business/First or Economy?

PlunaCRJ

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:40 am

Nice to see him taking a commerical flight and not a biz jet.

That´s responsible from him.

georgiaame

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:42 am

Have to keep up the pretense for the little people, you know. We can take the private jet home when no one is looking.
The fraud!
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

n710ps

Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:11 pm

I am sure there is a Challenger waiting in the wings to take him home.
There is plenty of room for Gods animals, right next to the mashed potatoes!

B747forever

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:10 pm

Quoting PlunaCRJ (Reply 2):
Nice to see him taking a commerical flight and not a biz jet.

Think that he didn't dare to take the biz jet.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:17 pm

It is the Nobel comitee that pays for Nobel price winners travelto and stay in Norway. So that's why he's flying the commercial jet.

The point was that he took the train insted of the limousine. That was his desicion

B747forever

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 6):
The point was that he took the train insted of the limousine. That was his desicion

Okey, I see.

But that was a little unnecessary choose.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ContnlEliteCMH

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 6):
It is the Nobel comitee that pays for Nobel price winners travelto and stay in Norway. So that's why he's flying the commercial jet.

His estimated net worth is approaching $100 million, up from $1 million or so when he ran for President. Trying to save the world is big business and he's taking his cut. I admire him for that, as I'm a red-blooded capitalist pig. But my point here is that he can easily afford to travel by whatever means he chooses, and accepting the travel money from the committee is pointless to him. He also shows no signs of being cheap. He lives in a mammoth house, probably drives himself nowhere, and flies in his own jet as he pleases. He probably hasn't cooked a meal for himself in years.

More power to him for all of this. I just doubt he took the flight because "it's paid for".

As for the train, he can choose to travel however he pleases. We run a large train deficit relative to Europe and many of us find it novel to take the train while in Europe.

[Edited 2007-12-07 06:34:42]
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

AirTranTUS

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
took the airport train into Oslo instead of using the provided Limo.

So was the limo waiting at the airport and he declined it there (making the point of taking the train useless), or did he decline it previously and they did not send it?
I love ASO!

sh0rtybr0wn

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:47 pm

They must really love Gore in Norway. What's there to do in Oslo in the winter ? As a tourist, is it better to wait until summer to visit? Good for him going the Skyteam route instead of business jet. But that doesn't stop the 9 million other people a day flying in business jet / private jets.

khobar

Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting AirTranTUS (Reply 9):
So was the limo waiting at the airport and he declined it there (making the point of taking the train useless), or did he decline it previously and they did not send it?

He probably insisted the limo be kept warm by running the engine.

I wonder if he's heard about the 'roos in Australia and what scientists there are wanting to do to curb global warming. They think the idea will actually be of great benefit to New Zealand, where 50% of their greenhouse emissions is methane from sheep and cows. FOLLOW THE MONEY - there's tons of it in Global Warming.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:59 pm

Oslo and Norway is best in spring and summer ( may - september ). Unless you like cold wind, rain, snow and dark around you....

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:43 pm

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 3):
Have to keep up the pretense for the little people, you know. We can take the private jet home when no one is looking.
The fraud!

Chill.

It nice that he took the train.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

B747forever

Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:50 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 12):
Unless you like cold wind, rain, snow and dark around you....

And who likes that???
Work Hard, Fly Right

777STL

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:03 pm

Quoting B747forever (Reply 14):
And who likes that???

Someone from Sweden I'm guessing?  Wink
PHX based

Pope

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Thread starter):
Nobel Peace Price Winner Al Gore arrived in OSlo, Norway on a scheduled Continental flight and took the airport train into Oslo instead of using the provided Limo. Tipper and friends and family were also with him.

Wouldn't a sailboat been much more environmentally responsible? I'm sure he bought carbon offsets.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

jetsetter629

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting Mortyman (Reply 12):
Oslo and Norway is best in spring and summer ( may - september ). Unless you like cold wind, rain, snow and dark around you....

Oh greattt...I'll be there Jan 5 to Jan 11. Should be a unique experience though!

MerlinIIIB

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 10):
They must really love Gore in Norway. What's there to do in Oslo in the winter ? As a tourist, is it better to wait until summer to visit?

The 19 min 200 km/h train journey was carefully planned. In fact, security personnel did the same train journey several times a few days ago to prepare for this PR stunt. No limo waiting. He is in town for the peace price, then he continues to Bali. What tourists and natives do during winter in Norway... dark outside, candle lights indoors, excellent food, electric heating blankets in bed... you guess!

AmtrakGuy

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:05 pm

At least he didn't fly on President's 747 plane (can't call it Air Force One). I am wondering if he was surprised to find his CO flight to Oslo was on a 757 instead of a wide-body jet? (if I'm not mistaken).

RedChili

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 10):
They must really love Gore in Norway.

We love hypocrites.

Quoting MerlinIIIB (Reply 19):
then he continues to Bali.

An excellent choice in December. I would've done the same if I had a vacation.
Top 10 airplanes: B737, T154, B747, IL96, T134, IL62, A320, MD80, B757, DC10

777gk

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting AmtrakGuy (Reply 19):
At least he didn't fly on President's 747 plane (can't call it Air Force One).

I don't think Bush would even consider extending this courtesy to Gore!

ripcordd

Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:35 pm

His light bill is like $15,000 a month its ridcules he and all the other hollyweirdos on the green wagon should all fly commerical.

wdleiser

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:04 pm

when the hell did gore when a nobel prize?
He is worthless, he does not care about the environment... he is merely wanting to make money that is all.

scottieprecord

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:36 pm

Wow... his bullshit is to a near campaign-time level.

Gore '08

Quoting MerlinIIIB (Reply 18):
In fact, security personnel did the same train journey several times a few days ago to prepare for this PR stunt.

Does Gore have his security provided by the Secret Service because he is a former Vice President, or is it a private firm?

Someone83

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:43 pm

Quoting JetSetter629 (Reply 17):

Oh greattt...I'll be there Jan 5 to Jan 11. Should be a unique experience though!

You might get snow, and then it's quite nice

[Edited 2007-12-07 15:43:43]

jetblueguy22

Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 23):
when the hell did gore when a Nobel prize?
He is worthless, he does not care about the environment... he is merely wanting to make money that is all.

Thank you. I could not put it better myself. The reason he flew CO is to act like he cares and to make himself look good. I guarantee to you he has probably flown more in a private jet than he has in a commercial airliner.
And taking the train wow he is really trying to make himself look good
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

mariner

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:10 am

Funny thread. Or do I mean weird?

The man who has done more than any other single person to raise awareness of what may the greatest problem confronting your generation - not mine, I won't be here - gets dumped on because he took a commerical jet.

confused 

mariner
aeternum nauta

ripcordd

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:36 am

Yea it's prob the first time he took a comerical jet thats why. For someone who care so much about the enviroment he should have put solor panels on his manison before he got on the ban wagon

joness0154

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:00 am

He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

You guys would bitch if he took a private jet.
You guys bitch that he took a commercial flight.

What would satisfy you?
I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem

N1120A

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:12 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 3):
The fraud!

Sort of like Nixon having AF1 shadow the DC-10 he flew to LAX and then flying back on it? Not to mention telling the pilot of the DC-10 to slow down, and making the aircraft use more fuel.

Quoting B747forever (Reply 7):

But that was a little unnecessary choose.

Not really. After all, the train is faster

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 8):

His estimated net worth is approaching $100 million, up from $1 million or so when he ran for President.

I am betting his net worth was more than $1 million when he ran. Anyway, there is nothing wrong with making money.

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 8):
I admire him for that, as I'm a red-blooded capitalist pig.

Gore is definately a capitalist

Quoting RIPCORDD (Reply 22):
His light bill is like $15,000 a month its ridcules he and all the other hollyweirdos on the green wagon should all fly commerical.

And he buys wind credits to offset it

Quoting Scottieprecord (Reply 24):
Does Gore have his security provided by the Secret Service because he is a former Vice President, or is it a private firm?

It is private, likely provided by the Norwegian government or the Nobel people. The Secret Service only covers former presidents.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 27):

Excellent.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mariner

Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:14 am

Quoting RIPCORDD (Reply 28):
Yea it's prob the first time he took a comerical jet thats why.

So now he has. And gets dumped on for it.

And are you really sure it is the first time he has ever flown on a commercial jet?

mariner
aeternum nauta

A346Dude

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:31 am

Al Gore taking the train is international news now? Must have been a slow news day.

Global warming is a fraud, and Gore knows it.
You know the gear is up and locked when it takes full throttle to taxi to the terminal.

AirCop

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 23):
when the hell did gore when a nobel prize?

Perhaps you should keep up with current events. Your profile states that you are 16-20yr old executive. Right.

Quoting RIPCORDD (Reply 28):
Yea it's prob the first time he took a comerical jet thats why.

Yea right.complete mis-information.

Quoting Joness0154 (Reply 29):
He's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

I just can't understand the hatred towards Al Gore on this board. If one just took the time to examine his record while he was in Congress, you would have seen that he was a right of center democrat. A good reliable vote for the military.

Quoting Jetblueguy22 (Reply 26):
And taking the train wow he is really trying to make himself look good
Blue

By your profile who were what between 6 and 8 years of age when he left office, so whatever you know about his service to our country was second or third hand. Heck he did more for the Katrina relief putting his own money to charter two planes with supplies than what our President or his father did.

mariner

Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting A346Dude (Reply 32):
Global warming is a fraud, and Gore knows it.

I don't know that. You don't know that.

Was the Los Angeles Smog not, at least in large part, caused by lead in gas?

Was the Acid Rain in Germany not caused, at least in large part, by pollutants spewing into the atmosphere?

I am not advocating global warming, but something is happening. It may prove to be natural climate change, there may be nothing that we can do.

But what if that is wrong? Should we just on on polluting the planet, pretending there is no price to pay?

mariner
aeternum nauta

skidmarks

Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:54 am

Sounds like you all expect the guy to dump the money he has made through whatever means and live in a hovel. Just like all of us. The word "Hypocrite" can apply to just about anyone who goes on about saving the planet and then drives a car, flies an aeroplane or even has a patio heater, all of which most of the people here do.

Al Gore, for all his faults, percieved or otherwise, has done a lot to raise awareness about the problems facing the planet in general and why he should be pilloried for that I don't know. Leats face it, no one is going to stop using their car, stop flying or stop heating their homes at the drop of a hat are they? And I'm damn sure that, given the opportunity, 99% of you lot would jump at the chance to fly in a biz-jet or have a chauffer drive you around.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

stratosphere

Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:13 pm

They are hard on Gore because he like all politicians are hypocrites. But I have to say I do wonder what life would have been like if Gore had won the election over Bush. I totally despise Bush. I had respect for him for about 5 mins after 9/11 even though I really didn't care for him because he stuck his nose in our contract negotiations at my former employer. That said I have grown over the years to really hate this guy I know now why the democrats won the house and senate. Of course they have proven to be a big disappointment also. But I think it was more of a I need to teach the republicans a lesson rather than I think the democrats can do a better job. I am an independent even though it is pretty useless to be one in a two party system.

baroque

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:02 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 27):
The man who has done more than any other single person to raise awareness of what may the greatest problem confronting your generation - not mine, I won't be here - gets dumped on because he took a commerical jet.

Jealousy in spades would be about it until your post turned up Mariner, and luckily it seems to have inspired some other more worthy posts.

Prior to that, the best you could say was that most posters are very well balanced personalities due to having a large log on each shoulder.

Quoting Skidmarks (Reply 35):
99% of you lot would jump at the chance to fly in a biz-jet or have a chauffeur drive you around.

That would be a good test, offer a flight in a biz jet and see how many refused it.

Until Gore won the Nobel, I had not realised that there were quite so many in the world who believe that they are the only persons credentialed enough to win a Nobel. It is just astonishing how bad the prize committee seem to be at picking winners - well that is what I have learned from reading a.net about Al G.

Those folk like Einstein, Florey, Bragg, Blackett, Mac Burnet, Yunus and Marshall were just so unworthy!!  Wow!  Wow!

Klaus

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting Baroque (Reply 37):
Jealousy in spades would be about it

It reeks like it, at the very least...!  yuck 

columba

Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:21 pm

Quoting Flyingclrs727 (Reply 1):

Does this matter ? A former VP of the USA surely won´t fly economy alone for security reasons. Also if he has the money to fly First or Business class, so what ? He chose a commercial flight over a business jet not many celebrities, politicians would do that.
It will forever be a McDonnell Douglas MD 80 , Boeing MD 80 sounds so wrong

Continental

Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:35 pm

How is Gore a hypocrite? His argument that people should conserve is not invalid if he doesn't necessarily follow it.

I'd call him a hypocrite if he said that he lives his life conserving all the time, which certainly isn't true.

That's like calling an overweight cardiologist who recommends exercise a hypocrite.

stratosphere

Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:50 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 40):
How is Gore a hypocrite? His argument that people should conserve is not invalid if he doesn't necessarily follow it.

Are you for real? If he doesn't practice what he preaches he damn well is a hypocrite that is exactly what that means. Does he have to follow it? No he does not but he doesn't deserve a nobel peace prize for it either.

airportugal310

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:13 am

Quoting Continental (Reply 40):
That's like calling an overweight cardiologist who recommends exercise a hypocrite.

You mean like my current PCP (Primary Care Physician)?

How ironic!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

N1120A

Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:21 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 33):

Nice bit of debunking

Quoting Columba (Reply 39):
Does this matter ? A former VP of the USA surely won´t fly economy alone for security reasons. Also if he has the money to fly First or Business class, so what ? He chose a commercial flight over a business jet not many celebrities, politicians would do that.

It doesn't matter, I don't know if security was much of an issue and the Nobel committee paid for it.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

mariner

Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:07 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 41):
If he doesn't practice what he preaches he damn well is a hypocrite that is exactly what that means.

So anyone who led the campaign for AIDS awareness back in the late 1980's was a hypocrite if they didn't have AIDS themselves.

mariner
aeternum nauta

wingnut767

Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 44):
So anyone who led the campaign for AIDS awareness back in the late 1980's was a hypocrite if they didn't have AIDS themselves

Wow that is stretching a comparison... How about somone who is campaigning for the prevention of AIDS and telling others what to do and how to prevent getting it and then going out and doing the same risky behavior themselves. AlGore did not have anything. Everything he did went against what he preached and was avoidable. His do as I say not as I do because I am rich and busy saving the planet crap is BS
Yakum purkan min shmaya

mariner

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:26 am

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 45):
AlGore did not have anything. Everything he did went against what he preached and was avoidable.

Solar panels are against what he preached? Renewable energy? Carbon offsets?

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 45):
How about somone who is campaigning for the prevention of AIDS and telling others what to do and how to prevent getting it and then going out and doing the same risky behavior themselves.

I know a number of people who campaigned for the awareness of AIDS who did not practise safe sex (I'm not sure that I always did).

But how does that diminish the awareness they awakened in others?

I try not to confuse the singer with the song.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Nuori5084

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:34 am

Quoting Flyingclrs727 (Reply 1):

It would be "greener" and more appropriate if he went in cargo. Just think about all the trash he produced getting fed on the flight.

That's like owning ONE non-candescent bulb; a environmental disaster!

[Edited 2007-12-09 21:34:59]
Failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.

stratosphere

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting Mariner (Reply 44):
So anyone who led the campaign for AIDS awareness back in the late 1980's was a hypocrite if they didn't have AIDS themselves.

Hey I am not saying he is wrong just that he is a hypocrite. That to me is just like Wingnut767 just said. Don't preach something that you do not practice in your own life. He may have solar panels but he most definately breaks the rule in a lot of other areas. The AIDS analogy has no bearing in the way you presented it. You don't have to have AIDS but if you preach to the masses about it and condemn unsafe sex practices you had better adhere to those principles yourself.

mariner

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 48):
That to me is just like Wingnut767 just said. Don't preach something that you do not practice in your own life.

I don't believe that anything diminishes the importance of what he has done.

Nor do I understand why he is getting flak for taking a commercial flight, which is the basis of this thread.

Quoting Stratosphere (Reply 48):
You don't have to have AIDS but if you preach to the masses about it and condemn unsafe sex practices you had better adhere to those principles yourself.

I don't believe anything diminishes the importance of what those people did.

If only "perfect messengers" had been allowed spread the word, no one knows how many lives might have been at risk.

mariner
aeternum nauta