Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

mt99

RE: The Golden Compass - Movie Warning

Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:07 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 43):
Steven King novel into an acceptable movie yet?

Dont forget: "Misery" with Kathy Bates..

Talking about movie versions.. is anyone else crossing their fingers that the Tim Burton version of "Sweeny Todd" does not suck?

Any body up for some meat pies?

freckles

Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm

Quoting Typhaerion (Reply 47):
Morgan, I have to apologize. I was not intending to place myself apart from the pack.

Don't be sorry! Misunderstanding!

RE: The score - glad you agree.

Morgan

RJdxer

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:19 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 49):
You question my infallibility ?

Infallibility, or inevitability?  duck 

JGPH1A

Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:30 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 52):
Infallibility, or inevitability?

That too !

RJdxer

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 53):
That too !

I know, it has to do with one of Newtons laws, you know, once something gets moving. I thought the thrust reversers were out for an inordinately long time when we landed at BWI!  eek 

Quoting DL021 (Reply 48):
I revved up my 1975 Delta 88 with the Holly 4bbl and 455 ratt and broken muffler.....people jumped every which way!

Why in the world would you want to call attention to yourself in that thing? Although I must admit, I was tooling around in my Dad's 1973 Pontiac Grandville with that same 455/4bbl, but that was in 1975.

I had seen the previews for this movie, The Golden Compass, but now I think I will wait for the dvd to come out. Hopefully it will be on blue ray as well. I'm really starting to prefer that format.

JGPH1A

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:18 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 54):
I thought the thrust reversers were out for an inordinately long time when we landed at BWI!

Yes well it would seem that way, seeing as you were sitting SO far down the back ! Up the comfy end, it felt like a very short landing  biggrin 

slider

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
The film is terrible. It's obvious that the movie studio is worried about the religious backlash, so edited away all of the interesting themes in the books.

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 8):
The film is terrible. It's obvious that the movie studio is worried about the religious backlash, so edited away all of the interesting themes in the books. The Magisterium isn't the Catholic Church, and all of the anti-religious tones in the book are missing. The book is clearly and unequivocally anti-religious, the movie is bland. Every single metaphysical point is labouriously explained, I'm not sure God is mentioned once, the themes behind the daemons are never touched upon; the thing is a huge disappointment.

Here's my question--from the descriptions of the book series that I've heard (and I've not read them admittedly) they get rather intensively and overtly anti-Christianity.

Again, I'm not going to make a value judgment on that, which I could, but it would seem as if the filmmakers painted themselves in a corner by neutering the first film in the manner they have or allegedly have.

Fromt he synopses I've read of the third book, there's NO way to really get around the in-your-face themes that Pullman states.

RJdxer

Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 55):
Up the comfy end, it felt like a very short landing

There might be some truth to that, because up where the windows face the direction of travel, the landing always does seem to take less time!  wink 

typhaerion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:25 pm

Quoting Slider (Reply 56):
they get rather intensively and overtly anti-Christianity

In my opinion only, the books are not anti-Christianity so much as they are anti-church. In a twisted way, the themes that the books express follow Christian themes so closely that it gives exposure to religious ideas that would not normally see exposure with this crowd. In his writing, while distorting the "true message" of the Christian Bible in some places and contradicting it in others, he manages to tell a modern version of the Garden of Eden story quite well. I guess it was one of the things that attracted me to the books in the first place was a new spin on an old concept. And while his stance is pro "Eve eating the apple" as it were, it is well set up so that you have plenty of time to come to grips with why.

I can see why the church would be against such a thing, but then again (in my opinion only), it is not as insidious as even the Da Vinci Code was. Part of the reason I hated the movie is because it seemed to amplify the churches backing of the General Oblation Board as if they were officially sanctioning it. Inh the books I always got the impression that Mrs. Coulter was a bit of a rogue and while she had church resources in her project, she did not have official backing.

That and they portrayed Fra Pavel as trying to poison Lord Asriel which makes the church look like it is in the assassination game. In the books it is the Master who attempts the poison, and does so to protect the girl. And the one time the Church directly goes after the girl, it requires great "preemptive penance" by Father Gomez and is not a decision made lightly.

I just think that the movie attempted to create more controversy than was written in the books (the fact that they removed the "Church" title from The Magesterium notwithstanding) to the direct detriment of the story.

You are correct in assuming that there is no way to get around them, but if they were portrayed exactly like the book, they would seem less intense compared to the depth of the rest of the story. It is only in the shallow form we see in the movie that it seems like much more then I thought it really was.

I will have to watch the movie when it comes out on DVD to see if I am over-reacting to this. I hope this clarifies my stance a little for everyone.

OceansWorld

Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting Typhaerion (Reply 47):
Quoting OceansWorld (Reply 27):
In general I prefer to do it the other way around because otherwise I'll see the gaps in the movie. And seeing a film first doesn't stop me from reading a book if I find the topic/story interesting.

A very interesting perspective. I just wanted to make sure that even if the movie wasn't interesting for you, that you read the books because in my opinion they are much more interesting than the movie was.

I've seen the movie last night, and really enjoyed it. Time flew by so fast. I'm now even more looking forward to read the book.

typhaerion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:08 pm

Very cool. I am really glad to hear that. You will find a lot of differences, but in my opinion the book is even better than the movie. He is a very good writer, and while you may or may not agree with his politics, it doesn't affect the quality of the story.

Though you saying that makes me think that I may have liked the movie better if I never had read the books.

slider

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Quoting Typhaerion (Reply 58):
In my opinion only, the books are not anti-Christianity so much as they are anti-church.

See, again I’m not qualified to speak on this, but in some of the quote I’ve read from the books in various publications and news outlets, they are very pointedly anti-God. I’ll be the first to admit the cynicism of organized religion. My own church’s mission is to not get wrapped up in that because of people’s aversion to organized religions (which makes for an interesting side story as it is). But it’s one thing to make a statement against organized religion, it’s quite another to go after God pretty overtly.

typhaerion
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:31 pm

I think you are going to have to read yourself to be able to make that call. I didn't see it as that, though others may. God is portrayed differently then the Christians would have it, but not unkindly. It is an angel who turns out to be the real bad guy, with "God" himself only taking a very minor role. And I would have to ruin the story to tell you what that is so I will let you discover it yourself.

I mean, it is so complicated that I think the statement Anti-God is disingenuous. The story is so much more complicated then just "God is bad."

And I agree. To overtly go after God is simply stirring the pot, but he does not do that, and I think that is very clear from the books. Remember, this is my sole opinion only. I am just giving you my unasked for two cents.  Wink

JGPH1A

Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting RJdxer (Reply 57):
There might be some truth to that, because up where the windows face the direction of travel, the landing always does seem to take less time!

Now you're just being mean  cry 

jmc1975

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:43 pm

According to www.boxofficemojo.com , as of today, The Golden Compass has only brought in just over $91 million in global revenue. The production cost was $180 million. A number of people on this forum believe that Christians do not have significant influence in the marketplace (nor deserve to breathe the same air they do), but this is an example that invalidates that faulty school of thought.

777236ER

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:25 am

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 64):
A number of people on this forum believe that Christians do not have significant influence in the marketplace (nor deserve to breathe the same air they do), but this is an example that invalidates that faulty school of thought.

All it proves is that Christians are sheep who will listen to whatever a loud voice will tell them they should and shouldn't watch, read or see and act accordingly.

Quoting Slider (Reply 61):
But it’s one thing to make a statement against organized religion, it’s quite another to go after God pretty overtly.

Have you read the books? The books aren't particularly anti-God, but anti-Church.

jmc1975

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 65):
All it proves is that Christians are sheep who will listen to whatever a loud voice will tell them they should and shouldn't watch, read or see and act accordingly.

There's nothing wrong with being a sheep when there is an all-mighty, all-powerful and righteous Shepherd protecting His flock.

Klaus

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Quoting Jmc1975 (Reply 66):
There's nothing wrong with being a sheep when there is an all-mighty, all-powerful and righteous Shepherd protecting His flock.

Sure. That's just not the case, as all kinds of massacres and persecutions have proven.

777236ER

Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:21 pm

So you're calling the Catholic League an 'all-mighty, all-powerful and righteous Shepherd'? Sounds like you're worshipping false idols.

Has God himself released a press-release urging the boycott of the film?

jmc1975

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:59 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 68):
Has God himself released a press-release urging the boycott of the film?

He doesn't need to as press releases are a finite means of communication.

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:41 am

Oh for goodness sake...

Look, I'm glad to have a fantasy film that doesn't try to shove a thinly veiled "god" or "jesus" down me or my kids throats. I'm a proud atheist, and I'm glad a movie that questions the notion of deism is in wide release.

Christians have had hundreds of movies to enjoy that focus on their beliefs, finally I have a film which focuses on mine (or lack thereof).

QFF

jafa39

Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:41 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 70):
Christians have had hundreds of movies to enjoy that focus on their beliefs, finally I have a film which focuses on mine (or lack thereof).

So who do you pray to every night before you go to bed?

"Dear ??????, instead of tonights prayer, here is a list of people i wish to be struck down by bolts of lightning....."  Wink

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 71):
So who do you pray to every night before you go to bed?

You know to whom I pray.  Wink

QFF.

P.S. And no, that was not just my signature.