Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

777236ER

RE: Religious Leaders: Stop Being Daft About Chris

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 49):

Rubbish, its about PC wankers (who usually "represent" but don't come from "minority cultures") trying to prevent an offence that would never happen. I have never met a Muslim who had a problem with christians celebrating christmas....the reason people get so pissed at the denial of christmas is because it is the only religious celebration that faces censorship and that is utter BS and why I throw any cards with "Happy Holidays" straight in the bin.

So anyone who sends you a heart-felt greeting, but isn't Christian, gets scorned by you? Very Christian - I'm sure that's what Jesus would have done.
Your bone's got a little machine

wingnut767

RE: Religious Leaders: Stop Being Daft About Christmas

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 50):
Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 49):

Rubbish, its about PC wankers (who usually "represent" but don't come from "minority cultures") trying to prevent an offence that would never happen. I have never met a Muslim who had a problem with christians celebrating christmas....the reason people get so pissed at the denial of christmas is because it is the only religious celebration that faces censorship and that is utter BS and why I throw any cards with "Happy Holidays" straight in the bin.

So anyone who sends you a heart-felt greeting, but isn't Christian, gets scorned by you? Very Christian - I'm sure that's what Jesus would have done.

I do not believe he is scorning them. Just tossing the card into the circular file. I would hope they would send me a Christian card since it is a holy day that I celebrate even if they are of another religion or have have no religion at all. They do not have to be Christian to send a Christmas card. I would not send a Jewish friend a happy holidays card on Hannukah.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

ebj1248650

Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
The point is that those who don't celebrate the birth of Christ as Christmas shouldn't be offended by the use of the word 'Christmas' to identify the season. And I agree entirely. I've always said 'Merry Christmas' and always will. None of this 'Happy Holidays' crap. Likewise, I'm not going to get offended if someone says to me "Happy Hanukkah".

I've always wondered why it is that those who are offended by anything Christian can be so offensive in their outcry. I detest atheism but if someone wants to believe there's no God, that's both their right and their choice. The world doesn't work my way. It works the way it works. You don't get life on your terms. You get what life throws at you and you learn to catch the good stuff and try to duck the rest.  Smile
Dare to dream; dream big!

777236ER

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 51):

I do not believe he is scorning them. Just tossing the card into the circular file.

He is scorning them. Send Jafa39 a non-Christian card around this time and he throws it in the bin, how very loving of him. If you're lucky you might get him calling you a 'PC wanker' too.

wingnut767

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:30 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 53):

I do not believe he is scorning them. Just tossing the card into the circular file.

He is scorning them. Send Jafa39 a non-Christian card around this time and he throws it in the bin, how very loving of him. If you're lucky you might get him calling you a 'PC wanker' too.

How is he scorning them? Scorning them would be tossing it back in their faces with some form of verbal response. Tossing them is not recognizing the non religious mentality of the card. He is just not accepting a non religious greeting from them on what he feels is a holiday about Christ. The shelves are filled with PC corrected "holiday" cards. They should all be burnt into CO2 clouds.
Yakum purkan min shmaya

jafa39

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 50):

I do not believe he is scorning them. Just tossing the card into the circular file. I would hope they would send me a Christian card since it is a holy day that I celebrate even if they are of another religion or have have no religion at all. They do not have to be Christian to send a Christmas card. I would not send a Jewish friend a happy holidays card on Hannukah.

Thank you Wingnut767....spared me a rant!!  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

express1

Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:33 pm

Jesus died on the cross right!!!!? so they say,if that's the case then he is dead,the life after death thing is utta rubbish as there is not such thing as life after death,once your dead ya dead,if their was such thing as life after death,then my 2 kids will be back with me.

So its all crap as far as I'm concerned

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

777236ER

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting Wingnut767 (Reply 54):
How is he scorning them? Scorning them would be tossing it back in their faces with some form of verbal response. Tossing them is not recognizing the non religious mentality of the card. He is just not accepting a non religious greeting from them on what he feels is a holiday about Christ. The shelves are filled with PC corrected "holiday" cards. They should all be burnt into CO2 clouds.

So when someone buys Jafa39 a card with the wrong message on he simply throws it in the bin and bitches about it on the internet, calling them 'PC wankers'. He must be a nice person to be friends with - would Jesus have done the same thing?

jafa39

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Express1 (Reply 56):
Jesus died on the cross right!!!!? so they say,if that's the case then he is dead,the life after death thing is utta rubbish as there is not such thing as life after death,once your dead ya dead,if their was such thing as life after death,then my 2 kids will be back with me.

Sorry to hear about that but life after death doesn't mean people continue to walk about on the earth...

Quoting 777236ER (Reply 57):
So when someone buys Jafa39 a card with the wrong message on he simply throws it in the bin and bitches about it on the internet, calling them 'PC wankers'. He must be a nice person to be friends with - would Jesus have done the same thing?

Well, Jesus was prone to rants too you know.....look at how he handled the money-changers in the temple....I would imagine he would be pretty pissed at the way Christmas AND ONLY CHRISTMAS faces such censorship nowadays.

Look, in Teheran or some other mainly Muslim country you'd maybe accept it...but in a predominantly Christian country (we're talking numbers here, not an "official" recognition) like the UK or the US why don't people just leave Christmas alone and stop trying to eliminate it....that presses my buttons just as much as the fundies do and I'm pretty sure Jesus would be none too happy with either scenario.....its seems that "The Season of Goodwill" died out with the Hippies Sad
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

wingnut767

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:34 pm

So why even waste your time posting? This is not a debate about you believing or not
Yakum purkan min shmaya

TACAA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:57 am

"...He was born of the Virgin Mary , and became man. For our sake He was crucified under Pontius Pilate; He suffered, died, and was buried. On the third day He rose again in fulfillment of the scriptures: He ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father...."

Nicene Creed.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:14 am

Christmas is a celebration of twelve days which begin on December 25 until January 6.

"Contrary to much popular belief, these are not the twelve days before Christmas, but in most of the Western Church are the twelve days from Christmas until the beginning of Epiphany (January 6th; the 12 days count from December 25th until January 5th). In some traditions, the first day of Christmas begins on the evening of December 25th with the following day considered the First Day of Christmas (December 26th). In these traditions, the twelve days begin December 26 and include Epiphany on January 6...."

http://www.cresourcei.org/cy12days.html
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

tsaord

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:55 am

Screw em! Merry Christmas! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

I think I'm going to walk around the Terminal at work and just tell people Merry Christmas and get their reactions to see if this PC crap is really getting out of control!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

TACAA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 62):

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! to all.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:21 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 61):
Christmas is a celebration of twelve days which begin on December 25 until January 6.

While I do not want to annoy you I have to tell you that in Switzerland, Christmas is from 24th December 16.00 until 26th December 24.00 , while the official Christmas decorations have to be OFF until 7th January 18.00 , and THAT is official
!  Big grin  Big grin  Big grin

TACAA320

Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 64):

While I do not want to annoy you I have to tell you that in Switzerland, Christmas is from 24th December 16.00 until 26th December 24.00 , while the official Christmas decorations have to be OFF until 7th January 18.00 , and THAT is official

You're not annoying me. But I must tell you that I was referring about the official position of Christianity, and even more specific the official one of the RCC. I was not talking specifically about what is [or not "official" in Switzerland]. Please correct me if I am wrong, but Switzerland [as Confederation "Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft"] has no official religion [ with the exception of some cantons of Switzerland (state religion): Appenzell Innerrhoden (declared "religion of the people of Appenzell Innerrhoden"), Aargau, Basel-Country, Berne, Glarus, Graub�nden, Nidwalden, Schwyz, Thurgau, Uri.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 65):
Switzerland [as Confederation "Schweizerische Eidgenossenschaft"] has no official religion [ with the exception of some cantons of Switzerland (state religion): Appenzell Innerrhoden (declared "religion of the people of Appenzell Innerrhoden"), Aargau, Basel-Country, Berne, Glarus, Graub�nden, Nidwalden, Schwyz, Thurgau, Uri.

In Switzerland you have two "Landeskirchen" (national churches), one being the Protestant-Evangelic Church and the other one the Roman Catholic one, who get taxes and are state-financed (federal level). And Christmas and Easter are strictly regulated by law in regard to opening hours for business. Such things partially are regulated on Cantonal level and in some cases by overruling federal law. The point however is that the trees are lighted, the children get their gifts and the major festivities at home are done in the evening of 24th "Heiligabend" (Holy Evening) throughout Switzerland.

TACAA320

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 66):
In Switzerland you have two "Landeskirchen" (national churches), one being the Protestant-Evangelic Church and the other one the Roman Catholic one, who get taxes and are state-financed (federal level). And Christmas and Easter are strictly regulated by law in regard to opening hours for business. Such things partially are regulated on Cantonal level and in some cases by overruling federal law. The point however is that the trees are lighted, the children get their gifts and the major festivities at home are done in the evening of 24th "Heiligabend" (Holy Evening) throughout Switzerland.

Very interesting.

Costa Rica has an official religion. Our Constitution says [wrongfully] that:

TITULO VI
LA RELIGION
Capítulo Unico

Artículo 75.- La Religión Católica, Apostólica, Romana, es la del Estado, el cual contribuye a su mantenimiento, sin impedir el libre ejercicio en la República de otros cultos que no se opongan a la moral universal ni a las buenas costumbres.
(Así variada su numeración por Ley No. 5703 del 6 de junio de 1975)

[the official religion[sic] of the State of Costa Rica is the Catholic, Roman Catholic, and the State must contribute economically with it]. Nevertheless the freedom of cult is allow.

Also total freedom for businesses regarding opening hours.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting TACAA320 (Reply 67):
Also total freedom for businesses regarding opening hours.

Such things are precisely regulated in Switzerland, and are subject to decisions by municipal, Cantonal and Federal parliaments and to public votes on municipal, Cantonal and Federal level, and are controlled by police, with fines for whomever violates the rules and laws.
-
Not too long ago, policemen at half past midnight in Zurich controlled the restaurants and ensured that the "Polizei-Stund" (police-hour) was respected. This has become a tiny bit more liberal in the past 20 or 30 years. But any restaurants wanting to have open past midnight has to get a permission from the authorities to do so.