Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

srbmod
Topic Author

2008 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees Announced.....

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:02 pm

Rock & Roll HOF Class of 2008

Here's who is getting inducted:

Madonna
John Mellencamp (Will he be inducted as John Mellencamp or John Cougar Mellencamp?  duck  )
Dave Clark Five
Leonard Cohen
The Ventures

Here's the four acts nominated but didn't get enough votes:

Afrika Bombaataa
Chic
Donna Summer
Beastie Boys

Rap and Disco have really had a problem getting into the Rock & Roll HOF. Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five were the first rap group to be inducted into the R&RHOF earlier this year. Of course there was some controversy, as it was rumored that the Dave Clark Five got more votes than Grandmaster Flash.

I really don't have an issue with any of the artists in the Class of 2008, even Madonna.

In the "non-performer" category, songwriters Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff are being inducted as well.

http://www.gamble-huffmusic.com/

All I have to say is when is Andrew Loog Oldham going to be inducted in this category.

aa61hvy

RE: 2008 Rock & Roll HOF Inductees Announced.....

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Thread starter):
The Ventures

Endless Summer Theme...Nice!

Beastie Boys

I think these guys are good, real good. But I'm on the fence if they should be in the HOF
Go big or go home

srbmod
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):
I think these guys are good, real good. But I'm on the fence if they should be in the HOF

I think that Run D.M.C. deserves to go in before the Beasties, as they were the ones that really brought rap into the mainstream. The Beasties help elevate it, even though their early stuff (The classic Licensed To Ill album especially) was sophomoric, clownish, vulgar, and not really indicative of what they would bring to the table in the early 90s. They really did bridge the gap between rock and rap.

aa61hvy

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 2):
Run D.M.C. deserves to go in before the Beasties,

Oh for sure

Run DMC is nasty, one of my favorite bands... I'm suprised they aren't in it...
Go big or go home

yowza

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:23 pm

F*cking seriously, Madonna? Doesn't rock and roll mean anything anymore?

YOWza

Superfly

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:25 pm

I am glad that John Cougar Mellencamp is being inducted.
I was still living in Indiana when he was big back in the 1980s.
He was a God in Indiana at that time. Probably still is. He is a great singer/songerwiter.
Bring back the Concorde

IFEMaster

Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:36 pm

Madonna

John Mellencamp

What the fuck is the world coming to? Madonna and John "famous for that little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane" Cougar Mellancamp?
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

mhodgson

Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:17 pm

Madonna and Rock and Roll do not belong in the same sentence!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

slider

Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:43 pm

Here's the four acts nominated but didn't get enough votes:

Afrika Bombaataa
Chic
Donna Summer
Beastie Boys

WTF!

Rap and Disco have really had a problem getting into the Rock & Roll HOF.

As well they should. Is it the rock n roll HOF or just some music museum? The RRHOF became a joke once they started putting in these little novelty acts. It’s all PR anyhow, but when people from totally unrelated genres are getting in, it’s crap. It devalues the giants, the real rock n rollers.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
Doesn't rock and roll mean anything anymore?

I guess not. I'm old school, kind of a purist like that. I can understand how various different types of music have influenced others (ie: the strong joined-at-the-hip connections between blues and rock, for instance) but Madonna has no place there.

N1120A

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:10 pm

John Mellencamp or John Cougar Mellencamp?

or Johnny Cougar  Wink

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):

Beastie Boys

I am not a Beastie Boys fan, but they have successfully crossed genres and are massive stars and are critically acclaimed. They deserve to get in.

Quoting YOWza (Reply 4):
F*cking seriously, Madonna? Doesn't rock and roll mean anything anymore?

In reality, Madonna has a great deal of rock influence in her music.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Superfly

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 6):
and John "famous for that little ditty 'bout Jack and Diane" Cougar Mellancamp?

I guess you don't know much about the rock artist that is also famous for;

I Need A Lover
Hurts So Good
Jack & Diane
Hand To Hold On To
Crumblin' Down
Pink Houses
Authority Song
Rain On The Scarecrow
Small Town
Lonely Ol' Night
Bewtween A Laugh And A Tear
Rumbleseat
R.O.C.K. In The USA
Minutes To Memories
Paper In Fire
Check It Out
The Real Life
Cherry Bomb

Just to name a few.  Smile

I agree that Chic and Madonna is a bit of stretch. However, Nile Rogers, Bernard Edwards and Tony Thompson of Chic performed, recorded and produced with rock artist such as David Bowie, Duran Duran, Power Station, Robert Palmer and a few others. As individuals, they certainly did contribute to a lot of great rock acts.
Chic was an awesome group but they aren't rock.
Bring back the Concorde

IFEMaster

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Cougar

Every time I hear him referred to by his Cougar name, I always want to follow it with..."we are waaaay low on gas"  biggrin 

Quoting Superfly (Reply 10):
Hurts So Good

That's the only other song I've heard of by him.

Really, the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is supposed to be about those who have really had an impact on music...those that have innovated and explored and changed pop culture. I just don't see how Mellancamp did that. It seems like he was a good trend follower, but not much of a trend setter. But then as you say, I don't know much about him. One listen to those two songs was enough for me to know his music wasn't really my cup of tea.

As for the Chic musicians, you are spot on. Their session and production work has gone unrecognized for a long time, and it's good to see that, in a roundabout way, they are getting recognition for it. I wonder if they'll freak out.

srbmod
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 9):
Johnny Cougar

I thought about that one, but for some folks, that's an obscure one.

Quoting Slider (Reply 8):
As well they should. Is it the rock n roll HOF or just some music museum? The RRHOF became a joke once they started putting in these little novelty acts. It’s all PR anyhow, but when people from totally unrelated genres are getting in, it’s crap. It devalues the giants, the real rock n rollers.

Actually, quite a few non-rock acts (Especially blues, jazz, soul, and even country and bluegrass acts) have influenced rock and roll and are deservedly in the R&RHOF (Some inducted as performers, others as "early influences"). For example, without American R&B and Jazz, you would have never had the British Invasion. No Beatles, no Stones, no Who, no Zeppelin, no Jimmy Page, no Eric Clapton, etc.

Superfly

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 11):
It seems like he was a good trend follower

Follower?!?!?!  Wow!
Hardly.
1980s rock music was very synthesizer oriented or it was glam-hair/metal.
John Cougar Mellencamp didn't use drum machines and rarely used synthesizer and when he did, it wa just filler sound in the background.
I wouldn't call him a follower at all. Not eveyone in the Hall Of Fame were trend setters either. Those kind of artist only come once every 15-20 years.

I don't know much about him. One listen to those two songs was enough for me to know his music wasn't really my cup of tea.

But he is millions of other's cup of tea.  Smile

I wonder if they'll freak out.

Oh gosh!  slaphappy 
I am sure they'll have good times.  goodvibes 
Bring back the Concorde

IFEMaster

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:21 pm

Quoting Superfly (Reply 13):
But he is millions of other's cup of tea

Fair enough. Perhaps it's also because he wasn't really very prominent in the UK. At least...I don't think he was. I never really heard of him until I moved here.

Superfly

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:38 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 14):
Fair enough. Perhaps it's also because he wasn't really very prominent in the UK. At least...I don't think he was. I never really heard of him until I moved here.

I was still living in Indiana in 1983-1984. Him and Michael Jackson were Gods and consistently being played on the radio at any given time.
Bring back the Concorde

slider

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:44 pm

I just don't see how Mellancamp did that. It seems like he was a good trend follower, but not much of a trend setter.

Actually, Mellencamp had a huge influence in terms of bringing forth and making viable--and thus more influential--the “roots” sound and Midwest rock. A ton of acts were able to grow and be promoted by virtue of touring with him back in the mid-80s when he finally became huge. And Farm Aid and so forth was a culturally important thing then too that he helped make happen. Maybe he didn't set the trend per se, but he certainly helped open doors.

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 12):
Actually, quite a few non-rock acts (Especially blues, jazz, soul, and even country and bluegrass acts) have influenced rock and roll and are deservedly in the R&RHOF (Some inducted as performers, others as "early influences"). For example, without American R&B and Jazz, you would have never had the British Invasion. No Beatles, no Stones, no Who, no Zeppelin, no Jimmy Page, no Eric Clapton, etc.

That's my point exactly--I'm not disagreeing at all. I think the influences and roots are germane to HOF induction.

But whereas I can see guys like Buddy Guy, Muddy Waters getting into the Rock Hall, there's no way in hell I see Madonna.

And you're damn right about the British Invasion. Hell, even John Lennon credits the Beatles to Chuck Berry. Without him, they wouldn't have hit. It's all a complex weave of styles. But there has to be some arbiter of what constitutes ROck hall candidacy.