Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Slovacek747
Topic Author

United Airlines Credit Card

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:47 am

Hey y'all,

I just got the United Airlines credit card (to go along with my already Continental Card) and I was wondering what people think of the card. Good/bad experiences, perks that I haven't found out about yet even through reading up on it, etc???

Just getting your thoughts on the card. I'm excited that I now have 2 alliances to collect miles on (Star and Skyteam), which means I'm set for just about anywhere in the world.

Chip in with opinions, facts, or any comment

Slovacek747

panam330

RE: United Airlines Credit Card

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:52 am

Get yourself a Starwood American Express. You earn 1 point per dollar, and have the flexibility to transfer to dozens of airlines, most often with a 1:1 points:miles ratio, as well as use them for hotel stays. I have it, and I love the flexibility it offers. The annual fee is also dirt compared to some of the airline cards, at only $45.

desertjets

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:54 am

I hate to sound like your parents but...... as a student I think you should avoid having credit cards as much as possible. Keep whichever one has the lowest rates and fees.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

National757

Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:58 am

Are there any airline credit cards that have no annual fee? Seems like just about all of them do nowadays.

Slovacek747
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:33 am

DesertJets,

haha thank you for that wise advice; however, I am a senior in college and very responsible with credit. I do not recommend 99% of kids my age having credit cards like I do, but I understand the importance of it and know just about everything about it which helps out a lot. I'm not new to the credit game as I started years ago and have higher credit scores than my parents by far (in the 780 range). Now that we have established all that, do you know how the United card is (I have the Mileage Plus Visa Signature Platinum).

Thanks again for looking out for me with that advice.

Most of them I've seen have an annual fee or if they don't they are the shitty cards where you get like 1 mile for 2 dollars spent.

Keep the info comin on the Mileage Plus Visa Signature Platinum card. I know a lot about the card and did a lot of reading, but I'm just wondering if I missed anything and getting peoples opinions on it.

Slovacek747

panam330

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 3):
Are there any airline credit cards that have no annual fee? Seems like just about all of them do nowadays.

As stated above, they'll only net you 1 mile per $2 spent. They're rare, but they're out there. The banks generally don't push them as much as the Visa Signature or Amex cards, because the banks want you to pay an annual fee. There are cards available for AA (Citi) and UA (Chase). I'm not sure if there are any others tied directly to airlines. There are cards like Blue Sky from Amex floating around with no annual fee as well.

hawaiian717

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:38 am

Quoting Slovacek747 (Thread starter):
I'm excited that I now have 2 alliances to collect miles on (Star and Skyteam), which means I'm set for just about anywhere in the world.

Actually it's worse, because you're dividing up your miles between two different programs. Better to have them all in one place, though I'd say UA is probably a bit better than CO for this purpose since Star Alliance seems to have better worldwide coverage than SkyTeam. I actually recommend (and have) the Starwood Amex as well.

Chase customer service is horrible, from my family's experience, btw.

I get offerers for the UA card every couple of weeks. I called Chase and asked them to stop, but recently they seem to have started up again. Time to give Chase another call, and perhaps I should talk to United as well.

rojo

Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 4):
Now that we have established all that, do you know how the United card is (I have the Mileage Plus Visa Signature Platinum).

Just be careful with the Signature Visa or World MasterCard Cards, since they can lower your FICO score (which you say is at 780)... some banks report a credit line of $0 to the credit bureaus (on both type of cards) since they normally hava a low credit limit and above that they work like a service card with no preset spending limit. Therefore, if you carry a balance or you use these cards a lot, the percent of your total credit card limits that you are using could be high and your FICO score could go down.