Dougloid
Topic Author

I Hate Cello Music.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:42 pm

Of all the musical instruments I have ever heard, I find that the cello is most odious with its lugubrious groaning and mooing like a lovesick steer.

What is your least favorite instrument?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

mhodgson

RE: I Hate Cello Music.

Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25 pm

The recorder. I used to dread recorder recitals at primary school; the damned instrument is bad enough solo, but with a group of 10 or so trying their best to keep in time and in step it became a nightmare I never wish to undergo again!
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

WrenchBender

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:05 am

I can think of several stringed instruments that are much worse than a Cello, they all seem to originate in China .....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_Chinese_musical_instruments
But seriously, any instrument IF played well is worth listening to.
Check this Cello out

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids.......

HeyMach

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:18 am

Bagpipes - unadulterated caterwauler masquerading as music.

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:21 am

My least favorite instrument without a doubt is the harp. I absolutely can not stand it.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

diamond

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:22 am

Soprano saxophone, i.e. Kenny G. I hate that noise.

I'm not wild about the Hurdy Gurdy either.  Smile
Blank.

scrubbsywg

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:44 am

the cello is a fantastic sound! It is much more mellow than a violin(which i played for 12 years). my sister played cello for years, and every night our house was filled with music, with my sister, father, and I all practicing. Dad played viola, sister played cello and i played violin. I preferred viola and cello to violin.

scrubbsywg

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:47 am

here's some interesting cello music: a cello quartet playing metallica's the unforgiven. they actually released a whole album covering metallica songs.

Vio

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 am

Quoting Dougloid (Thread starter):
Of all the musical instruments I have ever heard, I find that the cello is most odious with its lugubrious groaning and mooing like a lovesick steer.

I played the cello for 7 years. It's an amazing instrument. You certainly have to refine your musical taste.

.. and why am I not surprised to see someone from Algeria not like this instrument?...  sarcastic 

Maybe this is something that's more to your taste?

You know what? your comment is insulting. Why even bother posting something like this? For someone who's an attorney you sure "know" how to pick your words...
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.

WildcatYXU

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting ScrubbsYWG (Reply 7):

They AFAIK had several albums of Metallica covers. The band is called Apocalyptica. I used to drive crazy my friends by listening to it.
310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 744, 752, 762, 763, 77L, 77W, 788, AT4, AT7, BEH, CR2, CRA, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

Tom in NO

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:24 am

I played the cello up into high school.....gave it up after that. I wasn't progressing as well as the others in my section...due primarily to not practicing like I should.

Also played the recorder in grade school.....

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ANITIX87

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 8):
You know what? your comment is insulting. Why even bother posting something like this? For someone who's an attorney you sure "know" how to pick your words...

He's insulting? I beg to differ. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and as much as I love the cello he can certainly choose to dislike if the sound doesn't please him. You don't have to agree with his opinion but you certainly don't have to get so defensive and come at him like you did. I'm sure there are instruments you hear and don't like, just as everyone does. I, for one, don't like the sound of a trumpet in certain cases, and I'm partial to the harpsichord.

I'm appalled that you have the audacity to call him insulting.

TIS
www.stellaryear.com: Canon EOS 50D, Canon EOS 5DMkII, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-70 2.8L II, Canon 100mm 2.8L, Canon 100-4

UAL747

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:58 am

YOu hate CELLO music? What!? This piece is SOO lovely:

A Piano and Cello Sonata by Rachmaninov

When I die, I want this played at my funeral, it's so melodic and the harmonies are to DIE for! Such eloquent music, carefully articulated and the dynamics in the piece make my heart melt!
Enjoy!

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way

bagpiper

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:58 am

Quoting HeyMach (Reply 3):
Bagpipes - unadulterated caterwauler masquerading as music.

I was wondering how long that would take  Smile

But, WrenchBender has a point -

Quoting WrenchBender (Reply 2):
But seriously, any instrument IF played well is worth listening to.

If bagpipes are played well, they can be great. However, if the standard is the piper on every corner in Edinburgh, then I agree with you 100%. Too bad they give the great players bad names.

Not trying to brag or anything, but, I'm in the top 4% competition wise in the Eastern US. Once people get up around that level, and can actually control the instrument, the amount of music and especially the harmonics that the instrument makes is incredible.

So, ignore the local pipe band (or 5) playing in the St. Paddy's day parade. If you want, find a preview of any of the tracks on a Simon Fraser University Pipe Band CD - they're one helluva band.

/shameless plug

Smile

Dougloid
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:17 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 8):
I played the cello for 7 years. It's an amazing instrument. You certainly have to refine your musical taste.

.. and why am I not surprised to see someone from Algeria not like this instrument?...

You really should read the profile a little more carefully-although there is a Tripoli, Iowa.

Quoting Vio (Reply 8):

I guess you did read the profile.

Well, I'm a Philistine. Every time I hear cello music I get really depressed. What I want to hear is THIS:

NeilYYZ

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 8):

It wasn't a personal attack. Relax, he hates the cello, I hate the harp, not everyone can like everything. I don't get mad at people who hate the guitar, I wouldn't even get mad at someone who doesn't like how I play the guitar. It's all just a bunch of subjective opinions here.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

Vio

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting ANITIX87 (Reply 11):
'm appalled that you have the audacity to call him insulting.

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 15):
It wasn't a personal attack. Relax, he hates the cello, I hate the harp, not everyone can like everything. I don't get mad at people who hate the guitar, I wouldn't even get mad at someone who doesn't like how I play the guitar. It's all just a bunch of subjective opinions here.

Sorry to be the one who seems like someone "took the jelly out of his donut", but the thread headlines is "I hate cello music"... the word is "hate" and I do take it a little personal, considering I know how hard it is and what it takes to play this instrument.

Anyway, I felt insulted and that's it. Agree or not, it's how I feel.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 14):
You really should read the profile a little more carefully-although there is a Tripoli, Iowa.

Your flag / country say Algeria and your location sais "Iowa". I just assumed that you're an Algerian living in the US.

I guess you did read the profile.

Yup and your other intelligent posts here on A.net (and I am not sarcastic, I really mean it). This one is not your best...

Well, I'm a Philistine. Every time I hear cello music I get really depressed. What I want to hear is THIS:

Fair enough... By the way, that song is good!

Goldenshield

Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:25 am

And cello music hates you.

Signed,

A cellist

---

Really, though, there are some instruments that drive me bonkers, like the Rhodes piano. It's too mellow.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

vikkyvik

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:23 am

Harpsichord.

Never been able to stand it much.

Sorta sucks, cause it basically means I automatically don't like a lot of Baroque music.

Stupid harpsichord.
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

fumanchewd

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:36 am

Mr. Dougloid. You have never said anything to incur my hatred until now. I have played cello for 8 years throughout school before giving it up. I deeply regret giving it up. It has the greatest range of highs and lows of any string instrument. (at least thats my preception).

I LOVE the cello!

There are many other videos but I think they would be wasted on your noncello tastes.  Wink
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

fumanchewd

Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:55 am

User currently offlineScrubbsYWG From Canada, joined Mar 2007, 353 posts, RR: 0

As a guitar player, I am still amazed by Metallica's compositional talents. I loved Metallica as a child (literally from 9 years old on). Yet all of the other bands that I liked back then pale in technical comparison to Metallica. It really is amazing that they were such technical and skilled musicians compared to Motley Crew, Megadeth, Def Leapord, etc.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

Toast

Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:58 pm

The bagpipe.  Smile

Cellos are OK, but anyway I'd say - as a total layman - that there are only two instruments that actually sound good alone and are self-sufficient: the piano and the guitar. Any other instrument played solo gets on my nerves pretty quickly. As does singing "a cappella".  headache 
Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker Tits

Vio

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:08 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 19):
There are many other videos but I think they would be wasted on your noncello tastes.

That's okay. Keep posting them. There are people here who really enjoy it. I for once, love it. I played it for 7 years.

andaman

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:47 pm

here's some interesting cello music: a cello quartet playing metallica's the unforgiven. they actually released a whole album covering metallica songs.

The band is Finnish Apocalyptica, they started with playing Metallica, nowadays they are making their own stuff, the cellos are still there.
Here's their interval act in the Eurovision Song Contest in Helsinki this year... it was a little shock for some, rather different from what you would expect from a live Eurovision show... but, hard rock is folk music in Finland  Wink

Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

SmithAir747

Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:35 pm

I've been playing piano for over 23 years, and it's my favorite instrument.

I'm also teaching myself violin, and it's my 2nd favorite.

Someday I'd love to take on the challenge of teaching myself cello!

SmithAir747
I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made... (Psalm 139:14)

Dougloid
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:19 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 21):
Cellos are OK, but anyway I'd say - as a total layman - that there are only two instruments that actually sound good alone and are self-sufficient: the piano and the guitar.

Technically speaking, I've got no quarrel with the cello. In fact, I saw a rather interesting segment on "How It's Made" about making carbon fiber cellos that I thought most interesting.

But it's the blame sound the thing makes, and then the music....it sounds like cattle bawling with a raspy edge, and that's what ruins it for me.

Mir

Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:43 pm

Sorry Dougloid, but you must be smoking something. The cello is one of the best instruments out there.

As for instruments I hate - the saxophone. The whiny sound gets very old very fast.

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 1):
I used to dread recorder recitals at primary school

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 10):
Also played the recorder in grade school.....

And I thought I was the only one...

I did like the recorder though.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Dougloid
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:06 am

Just to show I am an equal opportunity hater of certain musical instruments I hate dobros worse than I hate cello music. And I hate pedal steel guitar worse than either....whiny, groaning, audio frequency environmental pollution.

This guy, for instance.

Flighty

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:11 am

Oh no, dobro is great!!

I like most instruments but saxophone is often played very badly. So I'd have to say saxophone is the most obnoxious instrument. Mostly because of some guys with greasy long mullets swaying to and fro, just "jamming" their brains out to create "excitement," who really shouldn't be musicians anyway.

Cello can be played badly too, and it does have a mooing quality to it. Tell you the truth it's not a voice I can sympathize with very much. But it's not annoying. Well okay, sort of annoying.

CastleIsland

Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:18 am

Bloody Creatan. Jacqueline Du Pre's rendititions of Elgar's Cello concerto are among the most fantastic performances in the history of music. Apparently, you'd like to have a harmonica in yer butt whilst you defecate. Good luck with that.  Wink

Bloody Creatan. Philistine. I fart in your general direction.  tongue 
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Dougloid
Topic Author

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Vio (Reply 16):

Fair enough... By the way, that song is good!

I'm terminally old fashioned in my tastes. One of the things that's a blessing about growing old is that you get to like just what you like and nothing else.

You just gotta dig T-Bone. He was a proto-hipster bluesman of great talent. If you like that, there's always this from Louis Jordan. It's got a great saxophone riff.

And when you're done with that check this out

extspotter

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 pm

I was going to break out the Apocalyptica, but someone beat me to it.

Worlds Collide, then Life Burns!

Worlds Collide is Intrumental, but Life Burns (the bit at the end) isn't normally instrumental, the lead singer of The Rasmus sung on it if I remember rightly.
AF BE BY FR MV PD SZ U2 VZ DHC6, 8-3/4Q, 732/8, 763ER, A319, A380

ajd1992

Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:50 pm

Being a musician, i can't say i hate any instrument.

Then again, i only play guitar and drums so that may have something to do with it.

Braybuddy

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:41 pm

Quoting Vio (Reply 8):
I played the cello for 7 years. It's an amazing instrument. You certainly have to refine your musical taste

I wouldn't have had terribly positive or negative feelings about the cello, but last year I was at a funeral and the church music was provided by a cellist. She played "She Moves Through the Fair", and I can say, hand on heart, that I have never heard a more beautiful and haunting piece of music in my life.

I'm a convert.

halls120

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:01 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 26):
Sorry Dougloid, but you must be smoking something. The cello is one of the best instruments out there.

Concur. I love all the string instruments.

Not really an instrument per se, but the music I simply can't stand is opera, specifically a soprano. Makes me run from the room, that infernal screeching.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

czbbflier

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:17 am

most odious with its lugubrious groaning and mooing li

Hmmmmm.... the only instrument that does melancholy so well..... I'd have to disagree with you....  ashamed 

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 34):
Not really an instrument per se, but the music I simply can't stand is opera, specifically a soprano. Makes me run from the room, that infernal screeching.

Halls120.... I'm surprised! You seem to be an equally 'feisty' individual!  cheeky   duck  May I introduce you to Emma Shapplin?  yes 

MD-90

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:31 am

I hate playing oboe because I suck so badly at it but I am a decent bassoonist.

I despise bands and wind ensembles that have a balance problem popularly known as "too much trumpet."

baroque

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 36):
I hate playing oboe because I suck so badly at it but I am a decent bassoonist.

How do you manage with the "compromises" of the oboe d'amore and the cor anglais?

halls120

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 35):
May I introduce you to Emma Shapplin?

Thanks. She is quite attractive. Yes, and she has a pretty voice. But what's the spike for?

Perhaps I'd have a better appreciation for opera if I understood what they were saying....
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

czbbflier

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
But what's the spike for?

Since the song is entitled, "Cuerpo sin Alma", or "Body without Spirit/Soul", it's a great way to eviscerate the heart and hold it to the Light.... or maybe because she's Dracula's sister and it's the only way she has to protect herself from him.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 38):
Perhaps I'd have a better appreciation for opera if I understood what they were saying....

Yes, that is a bit of a challenge... many opera compainies, at least in North America, often project sub-titles so you can actually keep track of the plot. But who cares anyway? No matter what happens, 'It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...' (Sorry-- that was un-PC) until the screechy one screeches."

Dougloid
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 35):
Hmmmmm.... the only instrument that does melancholy so well..... I'd have to disagree with you....

Speaking of this general subject I've been wondering when Lutenist would weigh in....haven't seen him around in a while.

Any of you fellers up Canada way hear from the lad?

HickoryShampoo

Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:11 am

After a week off, I dredged this one up just to say...

There's always room for cello.

Sorry.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

ZRH

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:15 am

Have you ever listened to the Cello Concerto of Dvorak? Apparently not. As a classical music and opera lover I like most instruments, probably the harp at least.

milan320

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:47 pm

Just listen to the Bach Solo Cello Suites. Out of this world, especially as played by Maurice Gendron.
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

redngold

Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:34 pm

Ever since I flamed out during my clarinet practicum exam, I've hated the clarinet. It's very difficult to get anything out of that instrument without a squeak, even for the best clarinetists, and I'm not one of them.
Up, up and away!

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:42 am

Quoting Redngold (Reply 44):
Ever since I flamed out during my clarinet practicum exam, I've hated the clarinet. It's very difficult to get anything out of that instrument without a squeak, even for the best clarinetists, and I'm not one of them.

Woody Allen plays the clarinet, which is reason enough to dislike it.

CJAContinental

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:17 am

What I want to hear is THIS

Are you a big blues guitar fan as well? I love blues. To be honest though, I'm more into Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the later players than the early stuff like muddy waters and T-bone walker, though I can still enjoy listening to the later a lot.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

AM744

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:08 pm

For me Cello ranks in the top three favourite classical instruments along with violin and piano. If you are into classical music, Bach's Cello suites are a must.

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 43):
Just listen to the Bach Solo Cello Suites. Out of this world, especially as played by Maurice Gendron.

I second that.

Dougloid
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:51 pm

Quoting CJAContinental (Reply 46):
Are you a big blues guitar fan as well? I love blues. To be honest though, I'm more into Stevie Ray Vaughan, and the later players than the early stuff like muddy waters and T-bone walker, though I can still enjoy listening to the later a lot.

Pretty much. I'm a fan of proto hipster blues, say, first generation urban electrified blues guitar before the raw country edge was removed. I'm a fan of Albert King, T-Bone Walker and Big Joe Turner and not necessarily in that order.

My story. I was a kid back in 1962, and my idea of cool stuff was the Dovells, Hank Ballard and the Midnighters, Betty Everett and so on. My sis was a big folkie.

So one day, she hands me an album and says "I think you ought to listen to this". It was Lightnin' Hopkins, and it literally changed my life. This is what I heard.

PA110

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:23 pm

If Jacqueline Du Pré playing Elgar's Cello Concerto doesn't stir the soul, nothing will. It is one of the most beautiful and haunting pieces ever written for the cello, played by one of the most amazing virtuosi. Pity she came to such a tragic end.

Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.