CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Does High School Really Ever End?

Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:45 am

Well, I'm sure many of you have heard the song eh, and I did too today. But it got me thinking. I finished that back in June, and have since gone out and gotten a job. I was thinking today, as far as how things go it really does seem like it's new names, different backround, and the rest feels like it's the same damn stuff over again.

Not that I'm complaining, as we definately have our fun, but just an observation, and was wondering if anyone else feels the same...

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

ajd1992

RE: Does High School Really Ever End?

Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:35 pm

You mean High School Never Ends by Bowling for Soup?

I think it's a great song, but that aside, a lot of the lyrics are true to 99% of people. I'm still at secondary school (6 months left, give or take a few weeks) and the first time i heard it was scarily similar to what my school life is like. Can't comment on it's trueness about work and stuff, because i'm not employed.

That's just my 2p on it though.

deltagator

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:33 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Thread starter):
was wondering if anyone else feels the same...

No. I don't have time to think about how high school never ends. I have a wife, newborn, 3 dogs, a job, and a travel schedule to keep track of versus being emo about how horrible the world is with its celebrity fascination and how I might have been bullied in school because I wore eyeliner or was a lardass as the guys in that band most likely were in high school.

Grow up, suck it up, and get on with your life and quit worry about what others think of you and make your life your own.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

PlymSpotter

Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:47 pm

Oh, I was thinking of Schools Out, by Alice Cooper - great song! Big grin

I do get the feeling, I have been in education now for over 15 years straight, so I am really really looking forwards to next June when I finish my degree course and get to be 'free' from coursework and the like.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

desertjets

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:04 am

High school has been over for 10 years for me. So no I don't think HS really continues on forever and ever.

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 2):
No. I don't have time to think about how high school never ends. I have a wife, newborn, 3 dogs, a job, and a travel schedule to keep track of versus being emo about how horrible the world is with its celebrity fascination and how I might have been bullied in school because I wore eyeliner or was a lardass as the guys in that band most likely were in high school.

Like DeltaGator said you eventually work on putting together a life for yourself and you start doing things and making decisions about what is important to you.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

WestJetYQQ

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:11 am

Quoting PlymSpotter (Reply 3):
Oh, I was thinking of Schools Out, by Alice Cooper - great song!

That's somewhat the opposite of what he's thinking in this case.  Wink

I still got 18 months left.  Sad
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:15 am

High school sure as hell didn't cost 10K a year like this University garbage does. Nor did I incur debt to the Government of Ontario to help me pay for it when I was in high school.

As far as how often I think of high school, never. I'm still friends with some people from high school, can't remember the names of a lot of people that went there too. It was a good time, but it's done. I don't care to reminisce with people who went to my high school, nor would I ever attend any sort of reunion. Life changes, you meet new people, you hang on to some friends and lose some old one, but it's pointless to live in the past.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

mdsh00

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 am

HS world ended quickly when College started. I guess the same may not be true for people who don't do much.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:04 am

Grow up, suck it up, and get on with your life and quit worry about what others think of you and make your life your own.

Don't want to start an arguement or anything, but I think you've missed my point. I did grow up and get on with my life, and to be honest 99.9% of the time I really don't care what others thing of me and how I live my own life.

The only thing I was noticing was now I've left high school and moved on, but just the general feel of where I'm working feels just the same as before I graduated and moved on. I guess it wasn't the same for you then.

CanadianNorth

futurecaptain

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:19 am

Yes, high school definately ends.

In college nobody cares(usually) where you went to high school. Nobody cares(usually) if you were the football quarterback or chess champion. And if you move away from home to go to college you can start a new life, grow up, and be whoever you want to be. And as you grow older, people start caring less and less about who you were in high school and you stop looking to the past and start looking to the future.
And then the girls grow up and the cheerleaders realize their high school boyfriend is a Mc Donalds manager with no life and the high school nerd is looking like a more better choice now that the Acne has cleared up.

Now, I keep in contact with only 3 people from high school, 1 regularly. Who cares what I was in high school, I moved away from home and now fly planes. That's alot cooler than anyone else I knew is doing now. Yep, high school ends, real life begins.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

deltagator

Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 8):
Don't want to start an arguement or anything, but I think you've missed my point. I did grow up and get on with my life, and to be honest 99.9% of the time I really don't care what others thing of me and how I live my own life.

The only thing I was noticing was now I've left high school and moved on, but just the general feel of where I'm working feels just the same as before I graduated and moved on. I guess it wasn't the same for you then.

Life is full of petty assholes concerned about appearances versus doing something. I ignore them and don't let them or their stupid cliques bother me. It's worked out ok for me so far. You do the same and you'll not have to worry...and definitely not have to listen to crappy bland music for retarded people like Bowling for Soup.

Sorry, that's an insult to retarded people. Just don't listen to crap like BFS and you'll be ok.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

LHboyatDTW

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:14 am

Quoting Futurecaptain (Reply 9):

so true

I am in the same boat as you, although I haven't heard that song.

Frankly I'm glad I'm done with high school. The fact that the staff takes advantage of you becoming a young adult by treating you like a 12 year old was kinda demoralizing (I passed with a 3.6 GPA. Compare it to the F*cktard next to me who's the same age and probably has what, a 2.3? and treat me as you would him?).

I love the fact that in college, the professor doesn't really give a damn about you unlike your high school teachers who make a bunch of drama for whoever is failing the class. Sure I've failed economics, but as shown in my thread, I really don't care about him either.

It does feel awkward though. A good friend of mine I've known since the third grade and went to the same schools, yet we went our own separate ways with him going to the Air Force Academy, yet thanks to Facebook I almost feel as if he's still my nextdoor neighbor. Also the fact that in my geography class, there were at least four adults in their 30s and 40s taking that class. Some of whom I've gotten to know very well.
The air in the clouds is very pure and fine, bracing and delicious because it's the same the angels breathe.

ShyFlyer

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:34 am

My experience? The gossip, the backstabbing, the brown nosing, the "in" crowd verses the "out" crowd, etc where not present during my college years. But once I started working, those familiar themes were back.
I lift things up and put them down.

EA CO AS

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting ShyFlyer (Reply 12):
once I started working, those familiar themes were back.

checkmark 

High School-esque behavior is rampant in the real world, especially corporate America.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

NorthstarBoy

Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:44 am

High School does end, it's been 21 years since i graduated, but the choices you make in High School will haunt you forever. Whether people want to believe it or not, the choices you make in High School, ala how well you do academically, how much time you spend studying vs playing video games with friends, chasing girls, and the like, how involved you get with sports/clubs/activities determine where you go to university, if you study hard and get good grades, you get to go to a good university, where you continue to study hard and get good grades and you get a good job, the kind of job that lets you lead the life you want to lead, on the other hand, be a slacker in high school, and you may go to an Okay university, or a small school, or community college, all of which can limit your options once you're out in the 'real world.' High School is the most important time in your life, because you're setting the course basically for the rest of your life.
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Superfly

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 am

Well, I'm sure many of you have heard the song eh, and I did too today. But it got me thinking. I finished that back in June, and have since gone out and gotten a job. I was thinking today, as far as how things go it really does seem like it's new names, different backround, and the rest feels like it's the same damn stuff over again.

Not that I'm complaining, as we definately have our fun, but just an observation, and was wondering if anyone else feels the same...

Get out of Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.
I am sure it's a great place to visit but as a 16-20 year old, you should be off to Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver for college. Once you get in, try studying abroad, meeting new people, exposing yourself to a different way of life, different cultures, hooking up with hot babes you don't get up in Whitehorse, Yukon Territory.
If you do decide to do this and visit San Francisco and make sure you bring me one of those awesome bear shaped Yukon Territory license plates.  Cool

I moved out of my mother's house 3 days after I graduated from high school and have been on my own since.
Wow, that was 16 years ago!
Bring back the Concorde

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:20 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 15):
you should be off to Montreal, Toronto or Vancouver for college.

Well, no schools here offer AME courses, so I'm moving to Vancouver to do that next month.

make sure you bring me one of those awesome bear shaped Yukon Territory license plates.

You mean a polar bear shaped plate they have in my previous home, the Northwest Territories?  Wink Yukon ones are just a rectangle with a picture of some dude panning for gold on it...

CanadianNorth

Superfly

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:32 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 16):
You mean a polar bear shaped plate they have in my previous home, the Northwest Territories?

Yes that one.
If I am not mistaken, didn't Yukon's plate have that shape in the past?
If not, bring down that Northwest Territories plate then.
I have friends in Vancouver, North Vancouver, Lynn Canyon and Langley so I perhaps we can do the exchange in a back ally in Vancouver's Oppenheimer district on the eastside.  Silly
Bring back the Concorde

kmh1956

Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:26 pm

I was thinking today, as far as how things go it really does seem like it's new names, different backround, and the rest feels like it's the same damn stuff over again.

Welcome to the real world.....and listen to what Deltagator said

you'll be in the working world a dammn sight longer than you were in school, so you may as well get used to it.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

Cadet985

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting NeilYYZ (Reply 6):
High school sure as hell didn't cost 10K a year like this University garbage does.

Try $35,000+ a year (mostly in loans) plus spending money. My HS was free.

Marc

dan2002

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:02 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 10):
You do the same and you'll not have to worry...and definitely not have to listen to crappy bland music for retarded people like Bowling for Soup.

I listen to BFS every now and then. I guess I'm a retarded person?
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

EWRCabincrew

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:25 pm

Life is full of petty assholes concerned about appearances versus doing something. I ignore them and don't let them or their stupid cliques bother me. It's worked out ok for me so far.

That is some sound advice.  checkmark 

Some people still interact with others is a high school-esque manner (I work with a few). They stick out like sore thumbs.

Rise above it. You'll go farther than they ever will.
You can't cure stupid

OHLHD

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:37 pm

Yes it ends. Only a question when you let it end.

Sure it feels better to be protected and someone is taking care of you but I enjoy live outside that. I want to explore and learn things my way not the teachers way.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 18):
you'll be in the working world a dammn sight longer than you were in school, so you may as well get used to it.

Well this is my point: I'm currently in the working world, but when it comes to getting used to it, it really feels like I'm getting used to the same thing all over again.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 21):
Some people still interact with others is a high school-esque manner (I work with a few). They stick out like sore thumbs.

Rise above it.

Just my point. Leave HS, move on, get over it, etc etc etc, and here I am surrounded by people who are still interacting as if we were in grade 9 or something. I do my best to stay out of it, but sometimes not much one can do when everyone else is taking part.

and definitely not have to listen to crappy bland music for retarded people like Bowling for Soup.

Just for the record, I turned on the radio in the car the other day on the way to work and this song just happened to be on.

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 13):
But once I started working, those familiar themes were back.

High School-esque behavior is rampant in the real world,

EXACTLY what I was trying to say in the start....

CanadianNorth

EWRCabincrew

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 23):
sometimes not much one can do when everyone else is taking part.

Take mental notes about these individuals and the fact they won't get far in life. You, on the other hand, will go far. When I work with those who remain in 'high school mode', I really do laugh. I even point it out to them that they are still in HSM. half the time they don't even get that.

Chalk it up to immaturity. You'll be just fine.
You can't cure stupid

nosedive

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 20):

No, but you're letting the 16-20 side of your profile show.

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 14):
Whether people want to believe it or not, the choices you make in High School, ala how well you do academically, how much time you spend studying vs playing video games with friends, chasing girls, and the like, how involved you get with sports/clubs/activities determine where you go to university, if you study hard and get good grades, you get to go to a good university, where you continue to study hard and get good grades and you get a good job, the kind of job that lets you lead the life you want to lead, on the other hand, be a slacker in high school, and you may go to an Okay university, or a small school, or community college, all of which can limit your options once you're out in the 'real world.

heh, these replies make me chuckle in their one size fits all viewpoint on life. Not everyone will have the same starting point, finishing point or opportunities on the way. Nor do such viewpoints take in personal ambition or recent mistakes and/or accomplishments.
Personally, "you're only as good as your last race" plays a major role in life.

[Edited 2007-12-17 15:28:06]

phatfarmlines

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:58 am

once I started working, those familiar themes were back.

High School-esque behavior is rampant in the real world, especially corporate America.

checkmark  For a great example of this, watch "Survivor".

checkmark  This is the advantage of being in the real world vs. high school. Let no boundaries define you.

deltagator

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 20):

No, I corrected my statement about retarded people as BFS is music that is an insult to the good name of retarded people. If you think they make good music I just don't even know what to say about it other than you are part of the problem with terrestial radio these days.  Wink

Add to this list crap like Souljah Boy, Black Eyed Peas/"Meth Mouth" Fergie/Gwen Stefani, etc.

Just for the record, I turned on the radio in the car the other day on the way to work and this song just happened to be on.

I'll let you slide a little bit but you still get shit for having it on a station that would play such garbage.  Wink

LTU932

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting NorthstarBoy (Reply 14):
the choices you make in High School will haunt you forever

Indeed. There are quite a lot of things that I regret having and not having done in the 9 years I attended high school.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

fumanchewd

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:40 am

In my workplace I see some of the same bs as high school. Little cliques are formed. People gossip. People lie about other people. People think they are hot shit when they are not. Same games, just more money and more ego. Many want to be Mr. or Mrs. Popular still. Its pathetic how some of my coworkers fall over themselves trying to talk to people who are more sucessful than them. When I laugh at them, they seriously tell me they are "networking".

As for highschool in my life, it was over the day I got out of that hellhole.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

kmh1956

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:48 am

I'm currently in the working world,

You're very young still. Do you plan to attend university any time soon?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

ScarletHarlot

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:51 am

I moved out of my mother's house 3 days after I graduated from high school and have been on my own since.
Wow, that was 16 years ago!

Took me two months but I did the same and it was the best thing I ever did. For me it was 17.5 years ago!  Smile

High school leaves its mark on you, but at some point you learn to say "f**k it' and move on and be the person YOU want to be...not what anybody expects of you. The day I learned that was the day I (metaphorically) left high school. Some people never leave it.
But that was when I ruled the world

MCOflyer

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting WestJetYQQ (Reply 5):
I still got 18 months left

Ouch.

EWR and ScarlotHarlot are right. Move the heck on. I live on my own compared to other classmates. I love the change in how college really weeds the high scholar acting age kids out. Yes I miss it, but i am so glad I am a helluva lot responsible than other kids.

Hunter
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

czbbflier

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:13 am

Even more 'free advice'.....
All the sorts of people you find in high school, you'll find out in the real world so the same interactions happen. The difference is that as an Adult having had some practice high school, you can make mature decisions about who you choose to hang out with (ie- ally yourself with) and who to avoid.

Stay real be honest and true to yourself because in the end you're the only critic that matters...

steeler83

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:59 am

Yes. It ended when I went to college and when I turned 21  drunk 

Probably not the best zinger, but hey, I'm no commedian. I guess I really need to hang out with funny people on a daily basis...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

fumanchewd

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:23 am

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 32):
I love the change in how college really weeds the high scholar acting age kids out.

College is great but don't be an intellectual snob. Some of the most intelligent people in history never graduated from college.

Its rather unfortunate but a decent majority of college graduates that I've interviewed recently haven't learned much in college with the exception that they think they deserve alot of money with no work history.

MCO, don't believe for a second that education is maturity. Wisdom and knowledge leads to maturity, not just education. I can cite examples but you should think about it on your own.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

deltagator

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 28):
There are quite a lot of things that I regret having and not having done in the 9 years I attended high school.

There's a joke in there for the Americans but given that you're German I'm guessing High School to you guys is a little different than ours.  Wink

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 35):
Its rather unfortunate but a decent majority of college graduates that I've interviewed recently haven't learned much in college with the exception that they think they deserve alot of money with no work history.

Ain't that the truth. What really sucks is when they somehow make it through the hiring process and then wonder when Spring Break is coming (I was guilty of that my first year out) or that they should be making 6 figures with their degree in Ethnic Geography of the South Pacific Unpopulated Islands from LA Valley Community College.  Wink

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 35):
MCO, don't believe for a second that education is maturity. Wisdom and knowledge leads to maturity, not just education.

The best advice I can give someone coming out of high school and even college for that matter is to "Know what you don't know." Those simple words will get you far in life....

And avoid the snides remarks of others on some other site.  Wink  silly 

dan2002

Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 27):
If you think they make good music I just don't even know what to say about it other than you are part of the problem with terrestial radio these days.

Its definitely better than a lot of the other music on the radio these days. And for the record I HATE terrestrial radio, and I almost never listen to it unless my MP3 battery dies or something like that.

And after hanging out with the guys in BFS after a show a couple years ago, they really are a bunch of cool and down to earth people.

Add to this list crap like Souljah Boy, Black Eyed Peas/"Meth Mouth" Fergie/Gwen Stefani, etc.

Hate all of 'em. Even though Travis Barker did a pretty interesting cover of Soluja Boy.
A guy asks 'What's Punk?'. I kick over a trash can and its punk. He knocks over a trash can and its trendy.

CanadianNorth
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 37):
Its definitely better than a lot of the other music on the radio these days. And for the record I HATE terrestrial radio, and I almost never listen to it unless my MP3 battery dies or something like that.

I'll let you slide a little bit but you still get shit for having it on a station that would play such garbage.

Well, don't want to sound like I'm pointlessly defending myself with lame excuses, but considering at the time it was icy with a layer of snow on top and the drive includes many hills and turns, I just pressed the on button and from there I had the choice of a) concentrating on getting a good song, or b) concentrating on keepin between the ditches, so unlike the city folk you see on the news every winter, I opted for b...

CanadianNorth

deltagator

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:40 am

Quoting Dan2002 (Reply 37):
Even though Travis Barker did a pretty interesting cover of Soluja Boy.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?!?!? We have a remake already of a song that is under a year old? Are you effing kidding me?

What next? Free Raiders tickets and all you can drink Mountain Dew? That would complete the moron trifecta!  Wink