Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Need Carribean Cruise Ideas

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:15 am

Hey all,

I'm looking to go on a cruise with my parents in March, and needed recommendations on cruise lines etc... We've never been on a cruise so I'm pretty open. I'd like something that's fun for a late teenager, but something that my parents will enjoy, as well.

Ports don't really matter, either departing or during.

Any recommendations?

Also, what would you guys say is the best cruise line that does that type of cruise so I can have something to start looking at?

Thanks!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

DC10extender

RE: Need Carribean Cruise Ideas

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:23 am

Well, Holland America is a great line. It is a little more reserved but in March, there are plenty of spring breakers. Try Ft. Lauderdale. I have been on the Zuiderdam and that is a great ship. Another line that would be a little more of a party line is Royal Caribbean. They have the biggest ships and some of the funnest activities. You really can't go wrong. Balcony suites are wonderful if you are looking to spend a little more. You may think you wont spend time on your balcony but you would be surprised. Just remember, the worst day at sea is better than the best day at school/work. You will have a great time.
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.

NeilYYZ

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:31 am

I've been on Royal Caribbean a few times and they are phenomenal. The food was absolutely amazing, lot's to do on board. If I could make one recommendation regarding room selection, I would strongly advise a room with a balcony. I would sit out at night having a few beers reading a book or watching the ocean, very relaxing. The boat I enjoyed the most was the Adventure of the Seas.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

desertjets

Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:47 am

http://www.cruisecritic.com/

All the answers you will ever need is there. When I was trying to learn about cruising a fellow a.netter pointed me in that direction.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

LASoctoberB6

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:17 am

Uhm... The only cruise I've ever been on was NCL's Norwegian Dawn that goes from NYC to MCO-FLL-MIA-Nassau-NYC and that was in summer 2005. I would try a different one only one I've been on and have nothing to compare it with.
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Jpax

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:28 am

Royal Caribbean hands down. Having been on RCCL, Carnival and Celebrity, Royal Caribbean takes the cake. Celebrity had marginally better food, but thats the only positive over RCCL I can think of. Carnival was trash. Just looking at Holland America makes me sea sick. Have you seen their ships? Looks like crap. Sticking it next to a RCCL ship makes it look like a cargo freighter. I have heard good things about Norwegian, but have never taken a cruise with them. Everything on Norwegian is a bit more freestyle, I believe. All of my future cruises will be with RCCL, I'm a cruise-a-holic with them. Never a dull moment. Beautiful, well-kept ships, delicious, plentiful food, great entertainment, incredible islands...pick RCCL, you won't be disappointed.

National757

Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:32 am

I suggest any cruise that stops in SXM! (St. Maarten) I'd do anything to spend some time there, even if it's only a few hours on a cruise stop.

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 6):
I suggest any cruise that stops in SXM! (St. Maarten) I'd do anything to spend some time there, even if it's only a few hours on a cruise stop.

Haha, I went there last summer for the first time. I'm looking at a Princess cruise that ports there for a day. Right for the price.

Thank you all for the input, RCCL looks great, but it may be a bit pricey. Does anyone have any info on what sized room would be necessary for 3 adults?

Again, thank you!!!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

LASoctoberB6

Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting National757 (Reply 6):

I suggested to my Aunt (who plans all the family cruises) that we should get out there. Just for me at least..
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

Jpax

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:43 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 7):
RCCL looks great, but it may be a bit pricey.

You get what you pay for.  Wink

Door5Right

Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:19 am

If you could wait until about May you would get soome excellent deals on Princess Cruises in the Mediterranean. The 'Grand Class' Princess ships are splendid and cater for all ages groups. You'd be getting all the fun of a cruise and some nice trans-atlantic flights too!
My soul is in the sky...

TransIsland

Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:51 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 4):
Norwegian Dawn that goes from NYC to MCO

Orlando by boat? How do they do that?

Or is that Ryan Cruises mislabelling something like Port Canaveral as Orlando?
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Longhornmaniac
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:50 am

Hello all,

After doing some more research, we're looking at a 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise in mid May with Royal Caribbean. Departing out of Port Canaveral (is MCO the easiest airport to get there from? What is the most efficient transportation?), with ports of call in their private island, SXM, and STT. Whaddya think? We're looking at getting the Grand Suite (about $4,100 plus taxes and fees for 3 people). It's on the Mariner of the Seas. Anyone have experience on that ship??

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

Jpax

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 12):
Port Canaveral (is MCO the easiest airport to get there from? What is the most efficient transportation?)

I generally, along with many others, fly into MCO the night before and stay at one of RCCLs "selected hotels". The following morning they have a few coach buses pick up their passengers from the hotel and drop them directly off at Port Canaveral. It's a quick, comfortable ride. I believe the hotel I have stayed at was Crowne Plaza.

with ports of call in their private island, SXM, and STT. Whaddya think?

All are fantastic islands. A taxi from the cruise port to Maho Beach was $18 one way for 2 people when I did it.

We're looking at getting the Grand Suite (about $4,100 plus taxes and fees for 3 people).

Beautiful room, never stayed in it before, but have partied in it before on several occasions.

It's on the Mariner of the Seas. Anyone have experience on that ship??

Sailed on her this time last year for their Christmas cruise. Beautiful ship, very well kept, no complaints whatsoever.

You have made an excellent choice with RCCL, you won't be disappointed.

[Edited 2007-12-17 20:02:15]