Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gigneil

RE: Southwest FA Accused Of Homophobia During Flight

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:35 am

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 105):
Now you are forcing us "homophobic" people to your views??

I hear ya man, I would prefer to still keep a few slaves in my basement and pimp slap my hoes when they talk back. Also, the line at the voting booth has gotten so damn long because of all those women standing in line in front of me, that is valuable time that I could spend planning a lynching of some darkies down by the old church.

You're right dude, its an absolute outrage.

NS

kstatepilot

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 106):
You're right dude, its an absolute outrage.

So it's okay when gays and lesbo's say these kindof things but not when a straight white man does?

Me thinks that is Discrimination
 Wow!

gigneil

RE: Southwest FA Accused Of Homophobia During Flig

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:48 am

Its not ok for anyone to do anything discriminatory in any way.

That being said, when you find some cases of a band of drunken rampaging homos leaving a redneck beaten to death and tied to a fence, you make sure you call your congressperson and voice your support for Bubba's Law.

NS

lincoln

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:51 am

Now you are forcing us "homophobic" people to your views????!?!?!?!?!???!!! This isn't right. You homosexuals have almost every right us straight people do, so now you try to force us into doing something we don't want to do. I am okay with gays and lesbians until you start to do this.

He is not "forcing" you to be gay. He's not "forcing" you to like homosexuals. He's not even suggesting that you be "forced" to be nice to people you are prejudiced against when you're off the clock. He's suggesting -- and I know that this is a revolutionary thought that has never been suggested before -- that when you're being paid to represent your company that you at least be polite to those people who are paying your wage, regardless of your personal feelings toward them and their lifestyles/skin color/gender/disability/etc.

And it's not an "us" vs "them" thing either -- we're all humans and deserve to be treated civilly. I'm tempted to ask if you feel it's proper to shout "Yo, n---er, get to the back of the bus" to a black person in public, but I'm afraid the answer would embarass both of us.

Angry

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 106):
I hear ya man, I would prefer to still keep a few slaves in my basement and pimp slap my hoes when they talk back. Also, the line at the voting booth has gotten so damn long because of all those women standing in line in front of me, that is valuable time that I could spend planning a lynching of some darkies down by the old church.

CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

OzarkD9S

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 107):

So it's okay when gays and lesbo's say these kindof things but not when a straight white man does?

Me thinks that is Discrimination

Because straight white guys have it so tough in this country.

You homosexuals have almost every right us straight people do,

Key word "almost". Which rights of yours may we take away so that we're "even"? We will however, let you keep your right to sound like a douchebag.
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

mariner

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:08 am

Quoting Khobar (Reply 103):
And you claim to be unable to follow my logic?

Um - yes. You suggested that because the story appeared in a gay magazine, it is immediately suspect.

Now, of course it is possible that it is not accurate - but I can point you to countless numbers of stories about homophobia that were proven to be accurate that have only appeared in gay publications and have never been picked up by the mainstream press.

Quoting Khobar (Reply 103):
"Big Boobs" is bursting at the seams with fluff specifically aimed at a particular interest for the sole purpose of selling more "Big Boobs."

Which doesn't mean those stories are inaccurate, that a model doesn't really wear a D cup.

Just as most - all? - gay magazines are filled with stories that wiill appeal to their constituency. That doesn't mean the stories are inaccurate.

The earliest stories about AIDS appeared only in gay magazines. That didn't make 'em wrong.

Gigneil is possibly closest to the truth here in #88, or it is entirely possible that the guy in questioned over-reacted, or missed some bizarre sense of humor in her.

But it is not unheard of for f/a's to behave badly towards gay people. Or towards nursing mothers. Or towards people of color. Or towards passengers they believe to be Islamist terorists because they are speaking a foreign language, or spending too long in the toilet or because they are praying.

mariner
aeternum nauta

Mir

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:28 am

Quoting AT (Reply 53):
And re: the comment
"The problem is the lack of impartial witnesses."
what about the neighboring passengers? They would be impartial (unless friends/relations of the passenger...) and from a legal perspective would make the best witness.

They would. But we haven't heard from them, have we? All we have is one guy's version of what he saw and heard, and what he presumed based on that.

Quoting Mkirch72 (Reply 92):
Except she said the word "Fag"

We have no conclusive evidence that she did. The guy thinks that that's what she said, but he could easily have misheard. Just today I ordered a roast pork soup in a Chinese restaurant, and heard the waiter read back the order as a roast pork soup. When it came, it was a roast duck soup - apparently both of us had misheard each other. If that can happen from no more than two feet, why is it not possible for the guy to have misheard the F/A over all the background noise in the plane, plus the fact that she was in the galley and he was in his seat?

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

art

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:32 am

If the report is grounded in fact rather than misunderstanding, I find the FA's behaviour quite unacceptable.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 85):
I myself am gay, and i am proud of it

Why? Just curious. I'm heterosexual. I don't see any reason to be proud about it. It's just a fact.

irobertson

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:37 am

This seems quite unlike the FA in this video, which is hilarious (and a touch gay sounding, in the best way possible)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta9ltJGxjk

"Seatbelts should be worn like J-Lo's pants, tight around your waist..." !!!

lincoln

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:43 am

Quoting Irobertson (Reply 114):
This seems quite unlike the FA in this video, which is hilarious (and a touch gay sounding, in the best way possible)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ta9ltJGxjk

"Seatbelts should be worn like J-Lo's pants, tight around your waist..." !!!

It's off topic, but I'm sure if something were to "go wrong" on that flight the passengers would be more likely to remember the instructions rather than the stock monotone script. (Though I thought the briefing was suposed to be completed before any movement for the purposes of flight)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Mir

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 115):
(Though I thought the briefing was suposed to be completed before any movement for the purposes of flight)

I've had very few flights during which the safety briefing was done before the plane started moving.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

gigneil

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 116):
I've had very few flights during which the safety briefing was done before the plane started moving.

I cannot remember a single one in my entire 30 years.

NS

lincoln

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:55 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 116):

You are correct; I was mistaken 14 CFR 121.571 requires that passengrs be briefed before each takeoff, not before aircraft movement.

Lincoln

ozark1

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:16 am

Southwest Airlines---The most overrated airline in America

ltbewr

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:40 am

Regrettably, flight attendants of any airline may have personal, political and religious views of prejudice toward gay and lesbian persons. Despite the best intentions of an airline to screen out potential conflicts in their staff as to gay/Lesbian lifestyles and the behaviors as allegedly happened towards these partnered gentlemen, they may may lie about their objectionable views in their efforts to obtain employment. Would they have done the same thing to an unmarried male/female couple? Probably not. Perhaps they feared objections from other intolerant pax, but that cannot be used as an excuse. Still it appears the FA's were stupid in their judgements. Let's hope that their is a major SWA internal investigation as well as from appropriate civil rights agencies on the state and federal level as to this alleged situation.

BOAT

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:44 am

I guarantee you there is more to this incident (assuming it occured) than is stated in the article. For a Crew Member to report in flight behavior to the Airport Police and the report result in an arrest, some serious infraction on the part of the passenger must have taken place. I can see nothing in the article that would warrant an arrest on ground. I can accept an FA's personal dislike of Gays, even to the point that one would react mean spirited and cold to a Gay passenger. There could be an osolated case, and I certainly would not condone this action, this is hurtful and demeaning and should be dealt with by the Airline. But I don't see this type of person, after the flight, trumping up something for the police just to continue taunting and punishing the passenger just for being Gay. Just does not make sense.

BOAT

DocLightning

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 am

I do hope that WN will react strongly to this, and not just from a moralistic point of view. Of course discrimination in any form against anyone is bad.

However, on a more crass level, discriminating against gays is simply poor business practice.

Statistically, gay men are more likely than their straight counterparts to be college-educated. Similarly, gay men also, statistically, earn higher wages than their straight counterparts (for no reason other than the fact that they are more likely to be college-educated and have white-collar jobs). Gay men are also statistically less likely to have family obligations and even if they are partnered with children, both partners are likely to be wage-earners.

Thus, on average, gay men have a lot more disposable income than their straight counterparts. And, furthermore, gay men are vastly overrepresented as consumers for such services as travel, luxury amenities, and leisure products.

Finally, the gay community has a tradition of acting in unison and with great force to oppose any business or organization that institutionally supports homophobia, or even gives it tacit approval by failing to respond strongly enough to such behavior by its representatives.

If WN does not address this issue, they do face a boycott by the gay community and its allies. That's a *LOT* of revenue to lose.

Let's put it this way, the Boy Scouts basically went from a nationally respected organization to a fringe group that a majority of Americans won't touch by adopting an openly homophobic policy (and I became an Eagle Scout in 1991).

WN does *NOT* want to gain the same reputation.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

AeroWesty

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting BOAT (Reply 121):
For a Crew Member to report in flight behavior to the Airport Police and the report result in an arrest, some serious infraction on the part of the passenger must have taken place.

No one was arrested. The passenger was detained while a background check and questioning took place.
International Homo of Mystery

N68TLCaptain

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:16 am

Quoting Ozark1 (Reply 119):

Dude relax
I don't say that about whatever airline you fly for (if you do)
I will indeed sir, fly for food.

WarRI1

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:41 am

Has anyone ever heard of hearsay evidence, I am not an attorney nor do I claim to know the law. He said, she said, where are the witnesses?, who came forward to corroborate this mans story?. I am not defending either side here, but to suggest dismissal of the flight attendant on the word of one person with no other evidence is silly. One could almost come to conclusion that an anti-labor bias is at work here, or a I'll get even with those FA's who did not treat me right the last time I flew. I think before one advocates for one side of the other, there should be some evidence and there is none.
It is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees.

iairallie

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:43 am

I think homophobia is pretty rare in our occupation. A homophobic person wouldn't last 5 minutes as an FA. We are on the whole a pretty diverse and accepting group. That's why I'm hesitant to belive that it was homophobia and not just a garden variety nasty person taking their anger out on a random target. In fact the supervisor said the FA thought they were business partners. Which would indicate to me that she had no idea the guys were gay.

Quoting Mir (Reply 35):
I don't think there's any question that he didn't get very good service. That in no way implies that the FA was homophobic.

It seems like he is making an assumption based on what he thought he might have heard.

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 44):
Assuming that story is a full and fair account, then clearly the conduct of the FA is unacceptable purely on a customer service basis.
Agreed sounds like horrible, abismal service. But plenty of straight people recive horrible service as well.

The problem is the lack of impartial witnesses.

Quoting Davidlc3 (Reply 46):
there still is not plausible reason to call the cops on this pax.

If it went down as said then the FA should be punished for filing a false report. However we are only hearing one side of the story. The supervisors and the police have to suport the FA at least until an initial investigation has been completed. All the more reason to punish the FA when it is all over with and they discover she lied.
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

qslinger

Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:45 am

Quoting OHLHD (Reply 5):
Stupid b%¤ch!

This is a one sided story. SW or the flight attendants comments are not logged here. They are stated in 3rd person and we don't know for sure if the man is actually telling the truth.

When ever someone tell of an incident, they tend to bend it in their favor...happens very often...but if in fact he is stating the absolute truth then SW has to apologise..

At this point, I can just read the story and feel sorry for the man and his experience, but that will not make me scrutinize SW cos their version has not been heard. Besides, if there were so many pax around, how come he did not take their help in making his case.
Raj Koona

sstsomeday

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:44 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 30):
I think the F/A needs her meds checked for overreacting and possibly some reprogramming, but the story reads as very overblown.

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 44):
The problem is the lack of impartial witnesses.

It seems to me that this flight attendant must already have some bad marks on her employee record if she was as abusive and out of control as was reported in that article. I would expect there are already complaints from other passengers and co-employees from previous incidents. She would have a history. It will be interesting to see how the story develops.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 34):
Again, what about this story required it be filed for the Dec 14th edition of this weekly newsletter?

I would suggest that one of the defining elements of relevant News is that it should be timely.
I come in peace

AirframeAS

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:53 am

I am surprised to see the lack of reponses (except two...) from our WN A.netters on this. They are pretty quiet tonight....   

[Edited 2007-12-17 22:07:31]
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

united319

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting Davescj (Reply 9):
no provision for sexual preference protection in civil rights law

From a first hand perspective, it is not a preference. I'd word that one differently in the future.
It's Time To Fly

georgebush

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting Qslinger (Reply 127):
This is a one sided story. SW or the flight attendants comments are not logged here. They are stated in 3rd person and we don't know for sure if the man is actually telling the truth.

When ever someone tell of an incident, they tend to bend it in their favor...happens very often...but if in fact he is stating the absolute truth then SW has to apologise..

At this point, I can just read the story and feel sorry for the man and his experience, but that will not make me scrutinize SW cos their version has not been heard. Besides, if there were so many pax around, how come he did not take their help in making his case.

Has Southwest even made a statement on this yet?? If they haven't, that should be a red flag to people as well. If something like this is on the net, they need to be on top of it and have their ducks in a row.

If I was this man, I wouldn't have asked the other passengers to help me. If it was a lady with an infant, the last thing she wants to do is sit and talk to the police for an hour and fill out paperwork. If they offered to vouch for me, then I would gladly accept it, not put them on the spot. Besides if I was sure enough in my claim I wouldn't even feel the need to involve other passengers!

As a breeder I find this completely humiliating. I think it is already hard enough being a minority, let alone being discriminated against. Also why would they put the infant and mother all the way into the back of the plane, if not to annoy him?? I reckon they could have found a seat closer but rather make his trip worse.
Al Gore invented global warming.

bennett123

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:47 am

Iairallie

Part of that quote is not mine, I can spell abysmal.

DALATBHM

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:38 am

This is rediculous. It could have happened the other way. No proof, no witnesses came forth. Its a waste of a freakin story.

ONTFlyer

Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:55 am

I can only try to be as objective as I can possibly be. I am human and I have my flaws but some of you are so offended by this story and you don't know what actually happened. Do I? Was I on that plane? NO. I know as much as anyone else about this matter and I read the story but some parts just don't add up. Was the flight attendant rude? Possibly. Was the gentleman discrmminated against? Perhaps. But until the facts come out, relax. Until then, as TSAORD says, there are 3 sides to this story.

If it turns out to be factual that the FA was acting in the manner that he said she did, then I know that WN will take the appropiate measures to deal with her. But as fast as some of you are accusing her of wrongdoing, did any of you stop to think that she too is being accused of something that we just don't know to be true at this moment?

Some of you talk about how gays and lesbians are wrongfully discrmminated against yet, because of the (possible) actions of one WN employee, you go on to bash the entire airline of being discrimminant. That is just as narrow-sighted. The actions of any one person of any particular group do not represent to views of the whole.

At this point we do know that the police were called to meet this passenger as he exited to plane. Yes, some people are biggoted and ignorant (and it may turn out that this FA is one such person), but don't you think she's had other gay persons on her flights before? Or worked with gay FA's? Why is it that suddenly, this gentleman is the one that pushes her over the edge and she has to call the cops beacuse of his sexual orientation? That doesn't add up. In order for the police to be called ahead of arrival, something must have been said or done for her or other members of the flight crew to feel like there was a potential threat from this customer. No matter how hateful she may have been, falsifying a police report and other reports related to WN is both illegal and grounds for termination and potential jail time. I don't think she'd risk her career and family because of one person. But then again, that's my opinion. I may be completely wrong once the truth comes out. I'm just saying that so far, the truth has not come out yet.

ONT
Doin' just fine thanks...

laca773

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:37 am

Quoting ONTFlyer (Reply 132):

Some of you talk about how gays and lesbians are wrongfully discrmminated against yet, because of the (possible) actions of one WN employee, you go on to bash the entire airline of being discrimminant. That is just as narrow-sighted. The actions of any one person of any particular group do not represent to views of the whole.

I feel this FA is just one of the bad seeds in a good airline. They all have them, some more so than other's. This FA was inappropriate in her behavior and HR needs to take some sort of action to correct this problem before these issues worsen (not just the Gay Couple but the woman with the "pelvic" exam skirt on, dealing with morbidly obese customers and so on..) It seems from the way she behaved she has some issues of her own.

I feel WN will do the right thing and take corrective action on this as they do not want to lose an important customer base in the LBGT community.

Happy Holidays
LACA773

Thrust

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 am

That FA is a bitch with a capital b. She oughta be in the Ku Klux Klan for that crap, better yet, she oughta be fired from Southwest and possibly even be charged with disturbing the peace. What really astounds me is why on earth she would go to all that trouble to start a scene like that....someone who does that doesn't have a life. I don't understand a thing about this at all....it's just...appalling....and beyond comprehension. INCREDIBLY IMMATURE behavior for an adult. Homosexuals are real people with rational thoughts and beliefs....the only difference is their sexual orientation. Even more appalling is the fact that America has a President in office who is against homosexuals.
Fly one thing; Fly it well

SKAirbus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:24 am

Quoting Art (Reply 111):
Why? Just curious. I'm heterosexual. I don't see any reason to be proud about it. It's just a fact.

Well coming out is a very difficult process for anyone... There is always a risk of discrimination, your family disowning you and also the pain of telling your friends... People that get through that process often feel liberated and should be proud of who they are.... Being straight is a lot easier because it is the status quo and that is what people expect everyone else to be...

Unfortunately in many societies, such as in Muslim countries people aren't as lucky as me because being gay over there is against the law and can result in imprisonment or even death... So we should feel proud and lucky that we can live open.. well in the EU anyway.. Especially Denmark!

Quoting Kstatepilot (Reply 103):
Now you are forcing us "homophobic" people to your views????!?!?!?!?!???!!! This isn't right. You homosexuals have almost every right us straight people do, so now you try to force us into doing something we don't want to do. I am okay with gays and lesbians until you start to do this.

Right this is very offensive... We "homosexuals".. have no where as many rights, especially in the United States... In Europe it is getting a lot better but in the US if a gay ran for president, he would probably be kicked out by religious right wingers and the Republican party, gays can't join the armed forces.. which they can in the EU, gay people can't get married in the majority of US states, which they can now in the majority of EU countries (although this is pretty controversial in Italy because the Pope is trying to stick his big nose in).

But i'm a straight acting guy who doesn't flaunt my sexuality.. I just want equality and most of you straight people don't understand because you have equality!

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 107):
He's suggesting -- and I know that this is a revolutionary thought that has never been suggested before -- that when you're being paid to represent your company that you at least be polite to those people who are paying your wage, regardless of your personal feelings toward them and their lifestyles/skin color/gender/disability/etc.

That is exactly what i meant. Thank you  Smile... People can have their views as long as these views don't prevent minorities from having equality... But in a business environment where people pay good money to fly, staff should be friendly and "neutral" when talking to or serving a customer otherwise they aren't worth it....

But it's funny... earlier i said i'm glad the majority of A-net members aren't homophobic but there certainly are a few of them out there..
Base: BRU

SKAirbus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting Thrust (Reply 134):
Even more appalling is the fact that America has a President in office who is against homosexuals.

Be sensible America.. vote in the democrats next time round  Wink

art

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:23 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 135):
Quoting Art (Reply 111):

Well coming out is a very difficult process for anyone... There is always a risk of discrimination, your family disowning you and also the pain of telling your friends... People that get through that process often feel liberated and should be proud of who they are....

Thanks for your comment.

I can understand that coming out demands courage. I can understand that one may be proud of being courageous. I can't understand how pride in being courageous is transmuted into pride in one's sexual orientation.

SKAirbus

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:34 pm

Quoting Art (Reply 137):
I can't understand how pride in being courageous is transmuted into pride in one's sexual orientation.

Well i guess in many cases the fight to come out and be accepted makes them proud of their sexuality... That is the bottom line. Many black people in the US and Europe are proud of who they are and they should be as well because they fought for centuries to become an accepted and equal member of society...

Gay people were never allowed to be who they are until just a few decades ago... That says it all..

But now i'm going slightly off topic!

tonystan

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:47 pm

One reason and one reason alone for not believing this story....

NO ONE who enters the airline industry can risk being homophobic because lets face, it the airline is full of gay people both male and female. If this FA is cabin crew then she would work with gay men all the time and I am sure is very comfortable with them.

Sounds like a bunch of tripe to me!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

b707forever

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:18 pm

I see this story is getting quite a lot of responses, so here's my 2 cents.

I would assume whatever action falls under federal law because, if I'm not mistaken, aircraft with a US flag on it that are flying between states are now in a federal jurisdiction, though that's just a guess. I know the FBI often is involved in incidents on aircraft and the marshalls are federal employees.

Having said that, I have a couple of questions.

1) The F/A, how many years has she flown for WN?
2) Can we interview gay F/A's who fly with her and see if there's a pattern. We know there are plenty, right?
3) She couldn't have forced the couple to move seats, why did they?
4) Why were potentially very infectious people allowed to fly after it was known they were both sick? I'm talking both the kid and the complaintant.
5) Why did the police and WN back down and let them fly afterall?
6) Does the F/A have a history of bad letters from clients? Good ones? (not that it tells us much)
7) Does the complaintant have a history of filing complaints? (not that it tells us much)

That's a good start! Big grin

If the incident went down as reported by the gay man then, at the minimum, the F/A needs some cultural diversity training. It's hard to believe it didn't happen as he said because they did ultimately board him without further incident. For him to fabricate a story like this is, well, highly highly unlikely.

Sort of reminds me about the time AA removed all pillows and blankets after a DCA to DFW flight because the aircraft was filled with gay/lesbian people flying home from a national March. AA paid a huge price for that one, I wonder what, if any, price WN will pay. Maybe we'll see a Fabulous Fair Discount like they did around the "Mini" scandal? I hope!

AT

Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:49 pm

Has there been an official response from Southwest?

FreequentFlier

RE: Southwest FA Accused Of Homophobia During Flig

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 136):
Be sensible America.. vote in the democrats next time round Wink

And this would accomplish what exactly? All the leading Dem candidates oppose gay marriage as well. And you'll certainly get plenty more of "those foreigners are taking yer jobs!" commentary to the union crowds from them as well. No thanks.

As for the topic, seems rather hard to believe if completely true. As a flight attendant, she is literally surrounded by other gay flight attendants. Maybe she internalized it or something to that effect, or maybe she's completely clueless. Either way, kind of sad really. Nonetheless, I'd suggest letting the investigation play out before jumping to any conclusions either way.

swabrian

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 pm

SOUTHWEST RESPONSE

Good Morning everyone,
I just wanted to let you know that we are of this unfortunate circumstance. We have contacted the Customer and advised him that we are gathering information from the involved Employees, and our goal is to have a quick resolution.
Brian

DALATBHM

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:32 pm

Quoting Thrust (Reply 134):
That FA is a bitch with a capital b. She oughta be in the Ku Klux Klan for that crap, better yet, she oughta be fired from Southwest and possibly even be charged with disturbing the peace. What really astounds me is why on earth she would go to all that trouble to start a scene like that....someone who does that doesn't have a life. I don't understand a thing about this at all....it's just...appalling....and beyond comprehension. INCREDIBLY IMMATURE behavior for an adult. Homosexuals are real people with rational thoughts and beliefs....the only difference is their sexual orientation. Even more appalling is the fact that America has a President in office who is against homosexuals.

Your stupid.

Quoting SKAirbus (Reply 135):
Well coming out is a very difficult process for anyone... There is always a risk of discrimination, your family disowning you and also the pain of telling your friends... People that get through that process often feel liberated and should be proud of who they are.... Being straight is a lot easier because it is the status quo and that is what people expect everyone else to be...

Being gay is a choice. We didn't force "Him" to be gay. He did it on himself. So he gets no pitty from me. He should get over it if he has a problem.

People who jump to [email protected]$$HOLES

khobar

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 109):
Um - yes. You suggested that because the story appeared in a gay magazine, it is immediately suspect.

Quoting Mariner (Reply 109):
Just as most - all? - gay magazines are filled with stories that wiill appeal to their constituency. That doesn't mean the stories are inaccurate.

The fact that the story appeared in a gay publication, in itself, doesn't make the story suspect any more than if it had appeared in the Washington Post.

But I didn't make that claim, nor did I imply/suggest it either. Instead, I said, "a gay man giving an exclusive story about gay victimization to a gay publication??? ". The story, thus far purely one-sided and targeted at a sympathetic and politically active audience that could benefit the agenda, does certainly raise the possibility of bias.

justplanenutz

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:43 pm

Who knows what the truth here is. I was travelling on AA in F with my brother last week, and the FA repeatedly served my brother but ignored me. Did she think we were gay and took it out on me? Was she deaf in her right ear but not her left?

I just stopped her before she could move on the someone else and repeated me requests. I also might have said something not so quietly to my brother wondering how I had offended her.

DALATBHM

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:47 pm

Quoting Khobar (Reply 145):
The fact that the story appeared in a gay publication, in itself, doesn't make the story suspect any more than if it had appeared in the Washington Post.

But I didn't make that claim, nor did I imply/suggest it either. Instead, I said, "a gay man giving an exclusive story about gay victimization to a gay publication??? ". The story, thus far purely one-sided and targeted at a sympathetic and politically active audience that could benefit the agenda, does certainly raise the possibility of bias.

Agreed. Sounds to me like this guy wants his 15 minutes of flame. Haha. Im gonna get it for that one.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting DALATBHM (Reply 144):
Being gay is a choice

Save this for another thread.  Yeah sure  redflag 

We didn't force "Him" to be gay. He did it on himself. So he gets no pitty from me. He should get over it if he has a problem.

Flame away  flamed 
You can't cure stupid

jamincan

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Being gay is a choice. We didn't force "Him" to be gay. He did it on himself. So he gets no pitty from me. He should get over it if he has a problem.People who jump to [email protected]$$HOLES

Perhaps you could point out the time that you made the decision to be straight? I recall, back when I was, hmm... 13 or so, sitting down and weighing my options. You know, I wrote down the pros and cons on a piece of paper. So on the one side, I could get acceptance, equal rights at all levels of government, etc. on the other hand, I realized that, despite the risk of my friends of family disowning me, the possibility of a bunch of brutes bashing me, the real possibility of discrimination in the work place and in public, being gay was just too attractive of an option. Frankly, I don't understand why you didn't make the same choice.  Yeah sure

DALATBHM

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:17 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 148):
Being gay is a choice

Save this for another thread.

I'm not the one that started the thread.

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 148):
We didn't force "Him" to be gay. He did it on himself. So he gets no pitty from me. He should get over it if he has a problem.

Flame away

I sure as hell dont flame.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting DALATBHM (Reply 150):
I'm not the one that started the thread.

Never said you did. The topic of "gay is a choice" is for another thread.

Quoting DALATBHM (Reply 150):
I sure as hell dont flame.

So you mince?  Wink

Never implied that. It was meant to others to flame (made heated remarks against what you posted) your post.

Yeah sure
You can't cure stupid

JIWNCO

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:43 pm

I reeeeeally hate to say it but (based on my personal experience, see username  Wink) I believe this story 99.9%.

[Edited 2007-12-18 08:03:55]

PA110

Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:46 pm

OK Mods, I think we're done here. This thread was just bound to end in tears and recrimination.  Wink
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.