Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AGM100
Topic Author

Time Mag. "Person Of The Year Award"

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:43 pm

OK , Topic on Oriely's radio show yesterday. Topic was who you think should be voted Time magazine person of the Year.?

The front runners according to Bill, General Petraeus , or Al Gore.

My Vote:

1. The General
2. The Iraqi people

My money will go on Al Gore unfortunately , he is just to easy to vote for. Typical of do nothing types , their easy to like and everyone loves them.

What do you think ?
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

N74JW

RE: Time Mag. "Person Of The Year Award"

Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:48 pm

My wife, she gave birth to our baby daughter after a 25 hour labor! Very impressive!
rm -r *

Braybuddy

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:08 pm

This annual award needs to be scrapped. It is meaningless. Even though they may protest otherwise, Time Magazine is basically an American publication for an American audience, and the choice of Man of the Year is heavily influenced by the US world view, and even at that the choice of winner is skewed for commercial considerations. Back in 1979-80 Ayotollah Khomeni was chosen, probably correctly, as the person who had the most influence on the world stage that year. This ruffled a few feathers and caused a minor public outcry.

By their criteria, Osama bin Laden should have won the award in 2001, but didn't, and Adolf Hitler should have won their Person of the Century award in 1999. Both choices would have caused outrage, and the person who won in 2001 is so memorable that I've forgotten who they were; and the magazine went to pains, unconvincingly, to explain why Albert Einstein was chosen over Herr Hitler in 1999.

So I wouldn't be surprised to see Al Gore winning, although it is hard to think of one person who deserves the award this year.

And I am willing to take bets that the winner in 2008 will be whoever wins that other big poll next year, the vote for the president of the United States.  Smile

airfoilsguy

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:25 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Thread starter):
Topic was who you think should be voted Time magazine person of the Year.?

It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

Mir

Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Not much of a field this year, admittedly.

I can't see Petraeus getting it - we hardly knew his name before his testimony in Congress, and part of the fuss was a result of the NY Times ad.

Gore could get it but I don't think he should. He hasn't been doing anything this year that he hasn't been doing in the past.

My candidates would be Ahmedinejad or Putin.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

MD-90

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:03 pm

I think it ought to be J.K. Rowling, but I can see it being Al Gore.

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Gore could get it but I don't think he should. He hasn't been doing anything this year that he hasn't been doing in the past.

My candidates would be Ahmedinejad or Putin.

They haven't done anything new, either. Putin is Russia's Man of the Year, no doubt, but how much has he influenced the rest of world? J.K. Rowling ought to win for her monumental series and the impact it has had on millions of people across the world.

MaverickM11

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:15 pm

They can only do better than 2006, which was "You".

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 2):
By their criteria, Osama bin Laden should have won the award in 2001, but didn't, and Adolf Hitler should have won their Person of the Century award in 1999

Hitler was man o' the year in 1938
Stalin was in 1939 and 1942
I don't take responsibility at all

PSA53

Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:18 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 4):
Ahmedinejad
I thought of him,as well,as been a pretty quiet year which is good thing.

Some other things:

The unstable stock market
Housing and financial investment firms*
Cellular phone,which has overtaken landlines(house phones)
Technology, like digital or HD

*I think non person year subject is this one.
People choices is a little thin.

Add-on:I will say also the "Team Of The Year" New England Patriots.Depending on press time,this could be a gamble
although the Pats have quietly built a dynasty over the years.

[Edited 2007-12-18 12:35:00]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

FlyDeltaJets87

Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:59 pm

How about a sports figure? The sports arena has received quite a bit of attention this year, often for reasons outside of sports.

Barry Bonds (Home run record and the steroid scandal surrounding it)
Michael Vick (Dogfighting ring and going to jail)
Tom Brady (Leading the Pats to a perfect season so far, knock on wood)

What about Neelman? JetBlue received quite a bit of press back in February.  wink 

and the person who won in 2001 is so memorable that I've forgotten who they were;

Rudy Giuliani.

And I am willing to take bets that the winner in 2008 will be whoever wins that other big poll next year, the vote for the president of the United States

It would make sense, considering Bush won it in 2000 and 2004 I believe.

Based on the criteria, I could see Chavez or Ahmedinejad receiving it, though I hope neither does.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

ltbewr

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:37 am

To me it should be what it should have been last year - the issue of Global Warming. The Nobel Peace Prize to the UN climate agency and Al Gore, the increasing signs of global warming, and despite it's conterversery by some, a growing consensus of it being a real issue and threat to the world. It would be also be 'safe' politically unlike if as to a controversial person or an enemy of the USA.

halls120

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:43 am

This annual award needs to be scrapped. It is meaningless.

checkmark  This silly "award" is just as irrelevant as college football's Heisman Trophy.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

mham001

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:35 am

This annual award needs to be scrapped. It is meaningless. Even though they may protest otherwise, Time Magazine is basically an American publication for an American audience, and the choice of Man of the Year is heavily influenced by the US world view,

I agree with your premise that it is a meaningless award, but so what if it is by an American magazine and skewed by American view? If it bothers you in Ireland, then don't read it.
Personally, I think both of them (Time and Newsweek) are rags.

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:27 am

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 11):
I agree with your premise that it is a meaningless award, but so what if it is by an American magazine and skewed by American view?

I think you misunderstood me. There are far worse magazines you could buy than Time or Newsweek. Both are American magazines aimed primarily at the American market. I never said there was anything wrong with that. The point I was trying (not very successfully, obviously) to make was that their claim that their Person of the Year was awarded to whoever most influenced world events in that year. This is plainly nonsense, as it views the world from a purely American viewpoint (again, nothing wrong with that). Obviously, with the US being the only world's superpower, Americans will probably be the most influential most years, but in 2001 the award should have gone to Osama bin Laden, however unpalatable that may have been. To give it to Rudi Guiliani may have been very understandable, but he had absolutely no influence whatsoever outside the US. Osama bin Laden's attacks on the World Trade Centre sent shock-waves and ripples throughout the world which are still being felt today. In 1984 the award went to the man who made the Olympic Games in LA profitable, which was a feat in itself at the time, but he would have been pracitally unkown outside the US. There are other examples I could quote, but, like I said above, some of the winners are so memorable that I've forgotten who they were.

If it bothers you in Ireland, then don't read it.

It doesn't, because I don't any more. I used to buy it years ago. It was a good, if somewhat predictable, read.

ltbewr

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:14 pm

Just announced: Putin, the head of Russia Federation was chosen as Time's Man of the Year. This is the first time a non-American individual was named since Pope John Paul II a number of years ago. It also reflects his growing influence and power for better or worse within Russia and on the international scene including the Middle East. At least they made an interesting choice instead of a corporate 'safe' one.

iflykpdx

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:14 pm

Airport Management - UND

Stretch 8

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm

As if it matters what that the editirs of that rag think. I stopped reading Time in the Reagan era. Stick with The Economist if you want to know what's going on in the world, and not just who was eliminated on American Idol.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Braybuddy

Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:42 pm

Personally, I think both of them (Time and Newsweek) are rags.

Quoting Stretch 8 (Reply 15):
As if it matters what that the editirs of that rag think.

I think you're both being unfair here. If you call Time a rag, what on earth do you call the likes of the National Enquirer (US) and the Sun (UK)? Time's articles are varied and well researched and a team of checkers go through articles before they are printed. How many magazines or newspapers do that?

Very often they are portrayed as being too liberal or too conservative, so perhaps they have the balance right. Like I said, I don't buy it regularly any more, but I have picked it up occasionally over the last few years when they had cover articles on Iraq. I have to say I found the articles to be very insightful, warts and all. They certainly didn't pull any punches criticising the invasion and occupation where necessary.

kmh1956

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Am I alone in thinking that there's something very sexy about Vladimir Putin?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

PAHS200

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:04 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 16):
At least it is not Al Gore ,, thanks

Gore is 2nd

How do you put General Petraeus 4th? He has done a hell lot more then Gore.

diamond

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 18):

Yes, you are alone.

What is sexy about a short man with bad skin, bad teeth and thinning hair?
Blank.

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 19):
He has done a hell lot more then Gore.

You know I thought about General Petreaus being person of the Year. I am actually glad that Time did not elect him... he is so far out of their league it would almost be demeaning. I am giving General Petreaus credit for saving the lives of many of our troops including ones that are dear to me. Gen.Petreus may well go down in history as the greatest counter insurgency commander of all times ... thats better then being on the cover of Time (IMO) Al Gore ... please I wouldn't let him wash my car.

Rara

Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 17):

You're not alone. I don't find him sexy, but the girls around me (including my own girlfriend, alarmingly) fancy him to some degree.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Falcon84

Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 pm

This annual award needs to be scrapped. It is meaningless. Even though they may protest otherwise, Time Magazine is basically an American publication for an American audience, and the choice of Man of the Year is heavily influenced by the US world view, and even at that the choice of winner is skewed for commercial considerations.

So? And what does that have to do with anything. So it's meaningless. It makes for good conversation, and Time can do as it pleases.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 5):
Putin is Russia's Man of the Year, no doubt, but how much has he influenced the rest of world? J.K. Rowling ought to win for her monumental series and the impact it has had on millions of people across the world.

Man, did you hit the Top 5, dude. Well done.

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 18):
How do you put General Petraeus 4th? He has done a hell lot more then Gore.

Depends on what you mean as "more". A lot of people think Al Gore is the envoirnmental conscience of this nation, and, in the long run, that may mean more than the Petraeus has done. And I think Petraeus has done a heck of a job. But in the end, if the enviornment keeps going to hell, then what Gore is trying to do far outweighs what the General is doing.
Work Right, Fly Hard

slider

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:17 pm

Back in 1979-80 Ayotollah Khomeni was chosen, probably correctly, as the person who had the most influence on the world stage that year. This ruffled a few feathers and caused a minor public outcry.

Who else would have been a more impactful figure in the world at that particular moment? Whose feathers were ruffled? If anything, it remains a very prescient selection since Jimmy Carter wet his pants and our acquiescence to radical Islam back then, beginning on November 4, 1979, spurred what became the modern Islamofascist revolution.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 12):
There are far worse magazines you could buy than Time or Newsweek.

Yes, but Maxim, Stuff and FHM don’t *try* to pawn themselves off as serious journalism either. Actually, I do like the fact that Time still writes longer exposes and features that haven’t succumbed to the 15 second, one column sound bite culture.

Quoting IflyKPDX (Reply 14):
Looks like it's Putin: http://www.time.com/time/specials/20....html

This is actually a very profound choice for a lot of reasons. The article is very well done and is a good inside glimpse, if a bit too sympathetic. Putin, love him or hate him, is very much is a position of growing omnipotence and influence. From killing off rivals, you can take Putin out of the KGB but you can’t take the KGB out of Putin. Now fueled with petrodollars and able to galvanize the poor Russians who suffered post-Cold War, he’s a modern day dictator in the making, except with a nice suit.

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:51 pm

I admire Putin for his actions in Chechnya ... wow thats make Iraq look like paradise. But on the other hand he sure did put a lid on the insurgency pretty fast. Gotta love the Iron fist of the Kremlin , no negotiating , no problem.

UH60FtRucker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:16 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 24):
Gotta love the Iron fist of the Kremlin , no negotiating , no problem.

Yeah definitely! Fuck all those soldiers who are dying, or getting wounded, in Chechnya, right!? Who cares if they're getting killed left and right... so long as they are protecting the glory of mother Russia!  Yeah sure

Give me a break.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

AGM100
Topic Author

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:40 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 25):
Yeah definitely! Fuck all those soldiers who are dying, or getting wounded, in Chechnya, right!?

Left out the sarcastic face , as it was the intent. Putin has escaped the wrath of public opinion completely on Chechnya. Meanwhile our guys are are painted as Nazi's .... just to be clear UH .

MD-90

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Quoting Diamond (Reply 19):

What is sexy about a short man with bad skin, bad teeth and thinning hair?

Power. It's a fact that women are attracted to power and wealth, and Putin has plenty of both.

LTU932

Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:04 pm

Putin deserves nothing but contempt and hate from us.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

PAHS200

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:34 pm

at least Putin has balls and is not afraid to use some power

UH60FtRucker

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:53 pm

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 26):
Left out the sarcastic face , as it was the intent. Putin has escaped the wrath of public opinion completely on Chechnya. Meanwhile our guys are are painted as Nazi's .... just to be clear UH .

No, my objection is to absurd comments like this:

Quoting AGM100 (Reply 24):
Gotta love the Iron fist of the Kremlin , no negotiating , no problem.

and this:

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 29):

It's so disgusting.

People who blindly cheer on these military expeditions, which are in search of glory or power, are stupidly blind.

"Ohhh Putin's awesome because he likes to kick ass!" is total bullshit, because Putin ain't kicking anyone's ass. He's sending 18 year old conscript soldiers into a god forsaken country, for them to get maimed or to die. And for what? To protect what little pride Russia has left? People don't stop to think about that. They don't think about the human cost of what they happily cheer for. They ignorantly support these military wars because it is "macho" or it is "bad ass" and "cool."

But I think people who've been there, who've seen how horrible it is, are generally less likely to eagerly heer the deaths of young men and women.  Yeah sure

-UH60

zak

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:01 pm

indeed a weird choice. when i first read the news i thought it was some russian edition of time or something that made this call, it is indeed suprising that this was the u.s. time.
putin has indeed strongarmed russia back into a better position, paying with things that, some russians argue, russians dont need in the first place, such as freedom of press etc.
it is understandable that russia wants to be a global player strategically again due to china rising up fast, time will tell if it was worth playing the game as it is played now.

looking at the runner up list, the burmese monks would have been a better choice, al gore about the worst choice possible alongside jk rowling and david gladiataeus.
10=2

carmenlu15

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 17):

I dunno... Russkies are not my piece of cake...

Don't expect to see me around that much (if at all) -- the contact link should still work, though.

LTU932

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting PAHS200 (Reply 29):

Putin is a vicious bastard who kills political opponents or critics, arrests opponents during an election campaign, and who doesn't have a single bit of respect for human rights and democracy. Please google things and names like Anna Politkovskaya, Alexander Litvinenko, Garry Kasparov (yes, the Chess player, he's now in politics and an opponent of Putin) and incidents that happened just days before the 2007 parliamentary elections.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:02 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 30):
No, my objection is to absurd comments like this:

Relax UH , I was being sarcastic about Putin. He has been able to fight a dirty little war in Chechnya without much press interference. God knows what Russian special forces have done to the Islamic insurgency in Chechnya. Meanwhile the US military is pounded night and day by our press and the international press. Putin has been able to weasel his way though the mine field of world opinion . Do I agree with him .. NO,but he deserves credit for being crafty.

He has been able to keep the world looking the other way , mainly at Iraq and conduct business unseen pretty much. Putin has also been able to keep his favor with Iran's Islamic leaders while killing Muslims in Chechnya .. a pretty remarkable feat IMO. He has been able to play on all sides and stay in pretty good shape for the most part , including good ties with China , India , Iran , Latin America , and the USA.

Confuscius

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:18 pm

Paris Hilton
Lindsay Lohan
Britney Spears
Ain't I a stinker?

andz

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 30):
He's sending 18 year old conscript soldiers into a god forsaken country, for them to get maimed or to die. And for what? To protect what little pride Russia has left? People don't stop to think about that. They don't think about the human cost of what they happily cheer for. They ignorantly support these military wars because it is "macho" or it is "bad ass" and "cool."

People in other parts of the world might draw parallels with your own country.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Confuscius

Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:41 pm

Let me paraphrase...

He's sending 18 year old volunteer soldiers into a god forsaken country, for them to get maimed or to die. And for what? The arrogance of America? People don't stop to think about that. They don't think about the human cost of what they happily cheer for. They ignorantly support these military wars because it is "macho" or it is "bad ass" and "cool."
Ain't I a stinker?

GDB

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:10 pm

Is an (intended) irony from Time being missed here?
Like it or not, Putin has been a major influential figure this year, but Time is free to name him as such, try being a magazine in Russia, (assuming if there are independent ones left), naming Bush in the same manner.
That's sort of the point, isn't it?

UH60FtRucker

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:12 pm

Quoting Andz (Reply 36):

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 37):
Let me paraphrase...

He's sending 18 year old volunteer soldiers into a god forsaken country, for them to get maimed or to die. And for what? The arrogance of America? People don't stop to think about that. They don't think about the human cost of what they happily cheer for. They ignorantly support these military wars because it is "macho" or it is "bad ass" and "cool."

Which I would totally agree with. There are certainly Americans who eagerly cheer for war. War with Iraq. War with Iran. War with North Korea. It's bullshit, because a lot of those people are civilians - with no military experience - who have no idea what it's like. They don't know the human cost. They've only seen Hollywood movies, and see war as romantic and bad ass.

And unfortunately people like that, get people like me, killed.

-UH60

AGM100
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 37):
They ignorantly support these military wars because it is "macho" or it is "bad ass" and "cool."

What the Fu** do you want me to do ... look in my brother eyes and tell him he is fighting for nothing ! NO Fucking way !. I do not like war any more than anyone else , but I have no choice but to support the mission that our people are dieing for. I do not care if it is right or wrong to be honest ... when our guys are their I gotta back them up.

As far as the Russians go ... Chechnyian rebels attacked a school and killed a bunch of kids , they have created the problem by being violent rebels. A military response by Russia is a natural effect of this threat ... Is it right ? .. I do not know but it is to be expected.