lesmainwaring

RE: Emirates Boss: Global Warming Theory Is Rubbish!

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:03 pm

Interesting that he can counteract proven theories by leading scientists, as well as ignore the dramatic environmental changes that even laypeople can recognize.

My only question - with his line of thinking - will he still seek out the shortest route via the Great Circle, or would that be necessary since he probably believes the Earth is still flat?
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

SP90

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:07 pm

When it comes time to move underground because the surface is no longer habitable, leave his ass behind!  devil 

rampart

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 50):
How do they know what the climate was like let's say in the 14th Century or at any other time during the planet's history?

Many lines of evidence, actually. Most support each other, a few conflict. These include (in increasing age): quasihistorical records and agricultural notations, tree rings, archaeological evidence, sediments in oceans and lakes, layers in glacial ice, soils, cave formations, pollen and fossils.

Rampart

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 3):
it will possibly be in our age group(under 30, more about my age), when we all have children/grandchildren. Thats when we really start to take notice.

You know, the kids will be fine, as will you. We all will adapt and adjust to whatever Mother Earth throws at us. And many people do not think the ramifications from a 'slightly' warming globe will be all that drastic. There is so much fear-mongering coming from the discussion of this topic that rational thought is often dismissed. And the Emirates executive is merely echoing what many of us believe, that this science is questionable, and should not be take for gospel. Don't worry, we will figure it all out.
I love dem planes....

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:20 pm

Quoting FlyTUITravel (Reply 6):
I know people will probably flame me for this but I totally agree with this guy - and I'm part of the next generation of people & don't buy any of this global warming/climate change stuff!

You're not alone, and I would never flame you. It seems most people are just too afraid to go against the tide and say something unpopular. Which is a shame. Speak up, and get all the green freaks off their high horse.
I love dem planes....

sh0rtybr0wn

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 39):
Do you actually believe that, that ALL scientists say he is wrong?

Yes of course. The only "scientists" who disagree with global warming work for Oil companies and or are paid by them.

Quoting Khobar (Reply 40):
I'm sure a day will come when the IPCC reports will have to carry a disclaimer about inaccuracies and misrepresentations like Al Gore's movie now does, in certain parts of the world.

I'm sure that day will never come. But there may come a day before 2020 when the north pole melts completely during the summer.

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 41):
The earth hasn't gotten any warmer since 1998.

NASA says it has :

2005 Warmest Year in Over a Century : Year 2005 was the warmest year in over a century, according to NASA scientists studying temperature data from around the world.

NASA : 2005 Was the warmest year since the late 1800s, according to NASA scientists. 1998, 2002 and 2003 and 2004 followed as the next four warmest years.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 50):
How can they prove that this climate change/global warming is new and created by the industrial/post industrial way of living (us)? Cars, airplanes, factories... detergents... etc.?

Easy. By looking at Ice cores from the polar regions and pollen samples and many other ways. The can not only look back hundreds but many thousands of years. Why are you so skeptical of this science? Is it political? What are some other areas in life where you doubt science this significantly?

Once again. I'm not anti aviation and I fly a lot; but the boss of Emirates saying global warming is "rubbish" sounds a bit too self serving.
The effects of global warming dont only affect aviation. Global warming threatens the drinking water irrigation supply of hundreds of millions of people. There is a major drought in the southeaster US going on right now, and they say it has reached critical proportions. They predict it will only get worse, all over the world.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/80824

The evidence is there as plain as day.

mpdpilot

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting Art (Reply 18):
As has been the case for centuries, there are people out there who regularly measure temperature so you don't need to subscribe to a theory. The recorded data show that global warming is occurring.

From what base point? If you look at from 1930-1998 you might see a rise of say 3C. If you look at 1900-2007 you might see just .5C. So the fact is that it is still a theory, and a questionable one at that.

Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 28):

I don't think I could have said it better myself. Very well put you have gained my respect.

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 32):
But you do realize that all scientists say he IS wrong, dont you ??

That is just false I don't know how else to say it. There maybe a large number of scientists that say he is wrong but it is far from all of them.

Quoting Worldrider (Reply 35):
i have to add that the current global warming is NOT natural, far from it.

I would like you to provide any factual evidence for this. Global Warming is a theory so refering to it as fact just sounds stupid. Just on a side note I mean real facts not theories. I challenge you to find some.

Quoting Khobar (Reply 40):
I disagree. Global Warming is and always has been about money and power, and I think someone with the balls to point that out deserves great praise.

Once again I could not have said it better myself. You have also gained my respect.
One mile of highway gets you one mile, one mile of runway gets you anywhere.

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 32):
If he is wrong the ice caps melt,, Greenland melts and 100 world cities go under water, and malaria spreads to double its current infestation areas and more - plus a lot of other bad things. Irreversible bad things.

The Earth never sees the equation as 'irreversible'. It is billions of years old. It has and will constantly change. Our fault is we can't appreciate the change that goes on under our nose. You use the term irreversible, but you have no evidence, past, present, or future that can prove that statement. It is just more noise from the 'green' police.
I love dem planes....

mariner

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 58):
You know, the kids will be fine, as will you. We all will adapt and adjust to whatever Mother Earth throws at us.

The penguins in Antartica don't seem to be adapting and adjusting all that well:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/global/article3033833.ece

"The Emperor penguins which won the hearts of millions of children in the film Happy Feet have suffered a devastating population slump in the last 50 years, according to a report.

Many colonies have fallen in size by 50 per cent as the penguins have been squeezed by the effects of climate change and overfishing, the WWF said in its report, Antarctic Penguins and Climate Change."

mariner
aeternum nauta

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting Worldrider (Reply 35):
Why : very simple, the methane gas reserves(bigger than all oil and gas reserves, used and left) gently sleeping in the Arctic depths. IF we get a 5C rise, the methane will come out of the ocean set into flames (methane is a much stronger gas than CO2) life on earth will NOT be possible for "natural humans". thanks to Grandpa!

Wow, you really drank the Kool-Aid didn't you? This kind of overblown statement is why many of us can't reconcile with the 'green' fringe. The planet will be fine. We all will adapt to whatever it provides us. Whether we caused the change or not.
I love dem planes....

art

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 60):
I'm still waiting for someone to prove... that is PROVE that humans are the CAUSE of global warming point blank.

Look, the Earth is getting warmer, and it's not because of human activity,

Lopsided thinking? You declare that one side of the argument is the case but stipulate that the contrary view must be accompanied by proof.

ECONOMICS

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting BillReid (Reply 1):
Quoting JoKeR (Thread starter):
"Don't talk to me about global warming... I just do not buy it whatsoever," Maurice Flanagan, Emirates executive vice chairman, said at a regional aviation conference in Singapore.

He means he doesn't WANT to buy it. Willfull ignorance of reality whenever that reality effects the bottom line? Sounds like a typical hard-core capitalist to me.

Wish more people would come out & state that global warming is a con by the Global Warming industry & the U.N., ha, no on ever takes the U.N. seriously.

Too mnay people are now making money out of GLOBAL WARMING & there's no conclusive evidence either way, but a lot of people now derive their income by saying there is global warming, so they have a vested interest !!!

Global cooling rather than global warming is probably the reality !!!

JoeCanuck

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:39 pm

Start burning the trees...an ice age is coming...!

http://www.ec.gc.ca/default.asp?lang...4D7382-B39B-4D23-88B4-17DCEF5F096B
What the...?

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:42 pm

Well thats great, now how many other discrepancies are there to identify?...

I'm still waiting for someone to prove... that is PROVE that humans are the CAUSE of global warming point blank. So far, every time i hear something about global warming, its all supposition, poor statistics, incomplete data or the model itself is flawed and it is always the same on and on problem over and over again.

Everyone thinks we can model the earth's climate in these global warming documentaries. Truth is, we can't even accurately model water coming out of a faucet under pressure. How the bleep can we even think of modeling the complex and highly chaotic global climate with any degree of accuracy? And how do you model 500000 years of history when you have ACCURATE data from only 200 at best (more like 50-75 really).

Look, the Earth is getting warmer, and it's not because of human activity, lets get on with trying to prevent it from causing widespread problems for the future instead of trying to fix the unfixable ok

Well, that's the most responsible and thoughtful post in the entire discussion. Thank you for taking your calm reasoning and putting it so well to text. You expressed it more rationally than could I.
I love dem planes....

aerlingusa330

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:50 pm

I know people will probably flame me for this but I totally agree with this guy - and I'm part of the next generation of people & don't buy any of this global warming/climate change stuff!

Exactly! I agree with you.

It's already common knowledge in England, and it SHOULD be in the U.S. that al gore's "inconvenient truth" is incorrect in its entirety. There are over 11 fallacies that he uses in the film. Remember: this is the same guy who claimed he invented the internet.

How about the natural cycle of the earth? We had to get out of the Ice Age somehow. I don't recall there being factories, cars, and aircraft around then.

"Global warming" is another excuse for bureaucrats to go wild. al gore is at the forefront.
Shamrock 136 heavy cleared for takeoff runway niner.

mariner

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 66):
This kind of overblown statement is why many of us can't reconcile with the 'green' fringe.

Why do you think it is only "the green fringe"?

Is Margaret Thatcher, the right-wing Iron Lady of British politics, part of the green fringe?

mariner
aeternum nauta

JoeCanuck

What the...?

HOOB747

Quoting Mariner (Reply 65):
The penguins in Antartica don't seem to be adapting and adjusting all that well:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/global/article3033833.ece

"The Emperor penguins which won the hearts of millions of children in the film Happy Feet have suffered a devastating population slump in the last 50 years, according to a report.

I don't feel sorry for the penguins because some kids fell in love with them from a movie, but if you aren't intelligent enough or hardy enough to adapt to your environment, it is called extinction. It just happens later for some of us. But I think the penguins will eventually figure it out. They're pretty smart.
I love dem planes....

atmx2000

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 65):

Many colonies have fallen in size by 50 per cent as the penguins have been squeezed by the effects of climate change and overfishing, the WWF said in its report, Antarctic Penguins and Climate Change."

I have no doubt that a significant reduction of food sources can impact a population dependent on that food source.

As for the reduction in ice mass, it has been noted that while there has been in reduction in western Antartic ice, there has been a significant increase in ice and snow on the eastern side. So is it simply warming causing problems for the penguins? Or is something else driving changes? For example, it is believed that just under 10,000 years ago, the western Antartic ice had retreated far more than where it is at today. The best explanation for that currently is changes in ocean currents. Regardless, the penguins survived that change, and I'm sure they survive what ever is going on now.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

HOOB747

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 72):
Why do you think it is only "the green fringe"?

The 'green fringe' represents anyone who blindly follows the popular point of view about the current 'conditions' of the planet. They seem not to understand the planet's weather is CYCLICAL and changes over eons. It is impossible to take 20 years of temperature data and come to a conclusion that the planet is doomed unless we "do something". They're all sheep. Following the herd.
I love dem planes....

cytz_pilot

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting JoeCanuck (Reply 69):
Start burning the trees...an ice age is coming...!

Yeah but the temperature trends during a 2-month period in 2008 hardly are an indicator of complete weather trends during the next 10, 20, 50, 100 year spans...

I love it, whenever it's unusually hot out, people cry global warming, when it's unusually cold, people cry myth...

The issue has absolutely nothing to do with the what the day to day weather is like where anyone lives - no one would notice a 0.5 or 1 or even 2 degree change in AVERAGE temperatures. But temperature averages at the poles are very important when ice shelves and glaciers & their related ecosystems are in question. And doesn't water expand slightly when heated? Granted, the amount of expansion on a 0.5 degree increase would be negligible on say a gallon of water, but how many gallons of the stuff covers the planet?

mariner

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 76):
They seem not to understand the planet's weather is CYCLICAL and changes over eons.

But I understand that absolutely, so I guess I am not part of the green fringe. At least, not as you define it.

mariner
aeternum nauta

sh0rtybr0wn

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:05 pm

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 63):
It is just more noise from the 'green' police.

Have you heard of the book "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson ? That lead to DDT being banned completely? Before that people who complained about DDT were crackpots and "green police". It just took a while for the facts to get through to stubborn people.

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 63):
he Earth never sees the equation as 'irreversible'.

When I say irreversible , I mean humans wont be able to reverse it, and we might have to wait thousands of years for the next cycle. Thats bad news for the 7 + billion of us and our future children. Of course its 25 thousand years one way, and then 25 thousand years the other. Another consequence of Global warming is a very unstable climate. Thats not good for anybody either.

Theres plenty of evidence, you just choose not to see it. I think most people who disagree with the obvious truth of global warming are following the corporate line of thinking, set by leaders of industry like Emirates. auto industry, power industry etc. , which is make money, pollute whenever you have to, pay for junk science that denies global warming, and resist doing anything about it as long as possible.

A300605R

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:08 pm

It is impossible to take 20 years of temperature data and come to a conclusion that the planet is doomed unless we "do something".

That is correct.
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

JoeCanuck

RE: Emirates Boss: Global Warming Theory Is Rubbis

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

You might not have to drag out the hip waders quite yet...

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/environment/waterworld.html

EDIT...if ALL the ice on earth melted, the sea level would rise about 66 meters. There might even be a net gain in habitable land with the greening of Greenland and Antarctica. Read the linked article for more...

[Edited 2007-12-19 15:17:08]
What the...?

justloveplanes

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Rampart (Reply 57):
Many lines of evidence, actually. Most support each other, a few conflict. These include (in increasing age): quasihistorical records and agricultural notations, tree rings, archaeological evidence, sediments in oceans and lakes, layers in glacial ice, soils, cave formations, pollen and fossils.

Do you have a link as to the precison in these methods? I recall and MIT scientist saying the resolution of termperture measurments past using glacial ice is several hundred or several thousand years (I think he said three thousand years) on Larry King. Larry King ran out of questions to ask this guy after he made that statement. If true, glacial ice is useless (completely) as an indicator of temperatures past as a comparison for the excursions we are seeing now.

Put simply, glacial ice will be read using our existing techniques as a massive filter averaging all the temperature excursions over the resolution period into one average number. You could have temperature excursions higher than anything we've seen and you can't tell from the ice because of the time accumulation.

I am taking the MIT scientist at his word (his co-panelist on King, the science guy, Bill Nye, could say nothing in response, he was flabbergasted), but if true, this is basic, basic, basic freshman year engineering that is being ignored by many. It's almost high school chemistry, the concept of significant figures for those that care to recall.

jetmech

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:13 pm

Quoting JoKeR (Thread starter):

I personally think that global warming is happening, and that human activity is a major contributor to a lot of the climate change we are currently seeing. Nonetheless, quite apart from this, the fact the fossil fuels are non renewable and so polluting should be reason enough in itself to develop and promote the use of renewables.

Quoting Cytz_pilot (Reply 28):
Now fast forward to 20 years later:
If we have done something about it and found out that we were wrong, and it was entirely natural, then we have 20 years of research and technological development into clean and renewable fuels. We are far less dependent on foreign oils. The air is cleaner. Pollution as a whole is on the decline. People are now used to a more eco-friendly way of living.

Compare this to if we decide it's due to natural causes, and we haven't done something about it and now find out that we were wrong. It's 10 times the problem at 10 times the expense at 10 times the pain-in-the-ass factor to actually do something about it.

Exactly. I think people in general completely forget what is at stake here. If we sit on our hands and do nothing, and it transpires that human activity is driving climate change, are we all prepared to accept the consequences for future generations and ourselves?

The most worrying thing is we may be far too late to be able to do anything about the situation if we wait for another 10 years and carry on as we are doing now. No matter which way we cut it, human activities on this planet are already way beyond sustainable.

Regards, JetMech
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

PHKLM

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:17 pm

Quoting Vincewy (Reply 31):
We can all learn from the Dutch.

Why? Because we'll be flooded first?  duck 

cytz_pilot

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:21 pm

They're all sheep. Following the herd.

There's that on either side of the coin.

I believe in many people there is a kind of feeling as we look around and see cities enveloped in smog, undrinkable water sources, landfills chock full of non-compostable trash and chemical-laden out-of-date electronics, oily beaches, extinct species, buried nuclear waste, soil laced with insecticides - there gets to be kind of a feeling that how can it not have been us? We have fouled up many things during our stay here, how can we possibly expect that there would not eventually be serious repercussions to our lifestyles? And then comes the desire to change, to make a stand, to realize that we're all in this together and if we can't start cleaning up our act as a race, then we're doing a disservice to any person who has to go on after we pass away.

mariner

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 75):
it has been noted that while there has been in reduction in western Antartic ice, there has been a significant increase in ice and snow on the eastern side.

But it seems the eastern side is not immune to - something - whatever it is:

http://nsidc.org/iceshelves/larsenb2002/

Of the Larsen B Shelf (eastern side): "This is the largest single event in a series of retreats by ice shelves in the Peninsula over the last 30 years. The retreats are attributed to a strong climate warming in the region."

Now of course, all these scientists could be wrong. But what if they are not?

mariner
aeternum nauta

A300605R

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:24 pm

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 84):
Why? Because we'll be flooded first? duck

Hopefully not! We need an exciting opponent for the european and world championships...

Wink
300 319 320 321 332 733 734 735 738 753 763 F27 M83

atmx2000

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:29 pm

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 79):
Have you heard of the book "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson ? That lead to DDT being banned completely? Before that people who complained about DDT were crackpots and "green police". It just took a while for the facts to get through to stubborn people.

Good god, why are you bringing up that book, which is should be blamed for the deaths of millions of people because it eliminated the most effective means of killing of mosquitoes which serve has the vector for infecting humans with the organism responsible for malaria.

JoeCanuck

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:39 pm

Quoting PHKLM (Reply 84):
Why? Because we'll be flooded first?

Something about fingers and dykes...but you do hear a lot of rumours about Amsterdam...
What the...?

atmx2000

Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:45 pm

Quoting JetMech (Reply 83):
Exactly. I think people in general completely forget what is at stake here. If we sit on our hands and do nothing, and it transpires that human activity is driving climate change, are we all prepared to accept the consequences for future generations and ourselves?

And let us suppose human activity does have a significant effect on climate. Who says it is more deleterious than what would happen without that human activity? No one knows what the underlying climate would be.

Quoting JetMech (Reply 83):
Nonetheless, quite apart from this, the fact the fossil fuels are non renewable and so polluting should be reason enough in itself to develop and promote the use of renewables.

By all means, deal with the more likely problems stemming from fossil fuels, such as cost, availability and pollution stemming from incomplete combustion or combustion of contaminants.

OTOPS

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:02 am

Its amazing that people trust their own stupid gut feelings on things in spite of what scientists who study this for a living have to say. Its funny how everything you have in life including aviation wouldn't exist if it wasn't for science yet you don't beleive them on this because it doesn't suit your fancy.
Airbus-A name that manages to make aviation sound uncool.

HOOB747

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 79):
When I say irreversible , I mean humans wont be able to reverse it, and we might have to wait thousands of years for the next cycle

How arrogant of you to foresee the next 100,000 years of the Earth's climate! If ,as you suggest, we caused the changes that you think are occurring, how can you rationally suggest that we can't change what we have caused? That's what irreversible means, right? So we can change the earth climate for the worse, but can't affect it for the better? That's a religious kind of rationalization.
I love dem planes....

HOOB747

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:15 am

Quoting A300605R (Reply 64):
I don't think that all scientist discussing climate change are green freaks.

You're right, of course. The green freaks I speak of are the uninformed, uneducated followers of the prevailing winds concerning climate change. They are told they must be environmentally aware in every thing they do, as if any deviation from that paradigm would be catastrophe. So the hysteria on both sides is ridiculous.
I love dem planes....

ER757

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:22 am

Well, most of the world's climatologists would disagree with you. What is your evidence to the contrary?

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 41):
The earth hasn't gotten any warmer since 1998.

What is your source for this statement?

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 58):
You know, the kids will be fine, as will you. We all will adapt and adjust to whatever Mother Earth throws at us. And many people do not think the ramifications from a 'slightly' warming globe will be all that drastic. There is so much fear-mongering coming from the discussion of this topic that rational thought is often dismissed. And the Emirates executive is merely echoing what many of us believe, that this science is questionable, and should not be take for gospel. Don't worry, we will figure it all out.

Ah yes, the "technological magic bullet" theory. We'll see.....

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 74):
I don't feel sorry for the penguins because some kids fell in love with them from a movie, but if you aren't intelligent enough or hardy enough to adapt to your environment, it is called extinction. It just happens later for some of us

You realize, of course, that humans are not immune from this scenario, right?

Look - there's little doubt that the climate is warming, the question as some have raised is whether it's a man-made phenomenon or a natural cycle. To be honest, I really don't know but I find it hard to believe human activity has nothing to do with it. That being said, the amount of greenhouse gas emissions caused by air travel is a tiny drop in the bucket compared to other modes of transport and of power generation. While Mr Flanagn's comments were maybe a bit ill-advised, EK is not the real villian in the global warming debate.

CJAContinental

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:32 am

Well...

I think that there's significant evidence that our climate is getting warmer, though I'm not sure its due to us, regardless of the evidence for human influence on the earth's atmosphere.

Also, whenever your generation experiences something like "Global Warming", or the cold war, or something that generally instills fear or a background aprehension into society, it may be something that people genuinly believe based on evidence and exploit it as a result, and/or there may be people who stew these things up are often doing it for their own financial benefit, or the country's economy, because people, clever people, can make money from these things.

I'm not really sure to be honest, for me there's evidence on both sides. Regardless of the truth, I think we should try to strive for greater sustainability, even if global warming is not down to us, more sustainable fuels would still have benefits.

To the subject at hand though, I'm dissapointed that the article does not give information on why Flanagan thinks that. A response from him would indicate the reasons why he appears to think that way; Perhaps he doesn't really know the truth, although for him that mindset would be beneficial in terms of business ethics (this would be the case if his reasoning on the subject did not make sense), or he may genuinly think on the basis of science and think the global warming theory may be flawed.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

azhobo

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am

No flaming necessary. There is no question that the globe is warming.

The real issue is it man made (planes, trains, and automobiles)...NO. Global warming is a natural phenomenom, just like global cooling. We just are in the warming phase right now, that is all. Nothing we can do about that. But better for the earth to be in the warming phase than the cooling phase!

The issue is man CONTRIBUTING to the global warming phase, YES but at a very small degree, probably about < 5%. We could completely eliminate mans contribution and global warming would still continue. So alot of hogwash about nothing. But better for the earth to be in the warming phase than the cooling phase!

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 9):
One last thing: Keep in mind that coal-fueled power plants produce more carbon emissions than air travel, automobiles/trucks, and diesel-powered trains combined, accounting for 35% of all carbon emissions in the USA alone. That is where the real global warming problem lies, yet they're still being built!

And they are still allowing humans to have babies. Go figure. But better for the earth to be in the warming phase than the cooling phase!

Quoting Caribb (Reply 19):
Like scientists who diligently study the issue.

And dillegently collect their checks. They profit as individuals by trying to scare the bejeebies out of folks. So they are no worse than the execs from airlines, oil companies, etc, who provide a self serving oppinion. Well accept that they provide nothing beneficial to society. So i guess they are worse.

HOBO

ShootTheMoon

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:37 am

Gore is full of it! Someone needs to get rid of this liberal communist clown.

I am sure global warming is real. The effects the human race has on it, not sure I agree that we are completely responsible.

We all need to do our part, conserve energy, find more efficient modes of power and transportation, recycle and hope that an ice age does not come sooner or later. Thats about all we can do....the earth will run its own course, as it has since the beginning of time.

Again, not sure if we are responsible for this so called global warming.

-ShootTheMoon

HOOB747

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:42 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 94):
You realize, of course, that humans are not immune from this scenario, right?

Oh yeah, I realize. You recall I used the word "us" in my post.
I love dem planes....

dz09

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting OTOPS (Reply 91):
Its amazing that people trust their own stupid gut feelings on things in spite of what scientists who study this for a living have to say. Its funny how everything you have in life including aviation wouldn't exist if it wasn't for science yet you don't beleive them on this because it doesn't suit your fancy.

For every 100 scientists with an opinion on global warming there a 100 scientists with a completely different one. Some blame global warming on too many cows on the planet. Some blame it on too much fresh water going into the oceans. Who to believe, certainly not Al Gore. Having "invented" the internet does not make him an expert on global warming.

As to EK, they are at least using a young, modern fleet of airplanes.

ikramerica

RE: Emirates Boss: Global Warming Theory Is Rubbis

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:45 am

The leadership in exposing the rubbish will come from the east, not the west. This is because in the past, the east was not really bound to crippling their economies to support the earth religion, as they were given a "free pass" for being "developing." But there is a movement, led by the USA, to make even developing nations foot the bill of self flagellation in the name of the earth mother, and those nations will balk, big time, especially as they run out of food while we burn it in place of oil. Considering those nations have over 1/2 of the world's population, that's a big force to object. And EK's growth depends on the continued growth of the east.

Between the middle east who loses money when there are carbon restrictions, russia who would rather global warning happen, china who won't do anything to stop it if they could, and India which could give a rats ass but won't look to kindly on a starving population, there is plenty of money to fund scientists who will disprove the theory. Up until now, it's been the control freaks in the EU and the UN and the socialists in the environmental groups who have been in charge of funding research in order to gain more power and redistribute wealth, which is no doubt why any dissent is dismissed out of hand without debate by Al Gore and his friends. They don't want a debate, just as devout religious leaders don't want a debate about their faith.

Well, most of the world's climatologists would disagree with you.

Not at all true. Do some research, you'll find that isn't at all true. Less than 1/2 do. Last time I checked, a consensus involved more than 1/2.
http://www.dailytech.com/Survey+Less...bal+Warming+Theory/article8641.htm
There's just a letter out today with climate scientists from all over the globe begging the UN to stop purporting the myth of man made global warming and to instead focus on helping people who need help. It includes the inconvenient truth that the earth has not warmed in the last 10 years...  Wow!  cold 
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/reprint/open_letter_to_un.html

I think this whole charade is on the verge of collapse. Global ocean temps having leveled off over the last 6 years and declining so far this year doesn't support the theory. Agrobusiness signing on so they can tear down more forests and pollute more rivers in the name of renewable energy should be a dead give away that something is rotten in the state of Bali...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

HOOB747

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:46 am

Ah yes, the "technological magic bullet" theory. We'll see.....

Better than " the ice tells us that the mean temperature in 1024 b.c was .0057 warmer than today". Give me a break. You only like the science when it tells you what you are conditioned to hear.
I love dem planes....

CJAContinental

Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:49 am

Quoting OTOPS (Reply 91):
Its amazing that people trust their own stupid gut feelings on things in spite of what scientists who study this for a living have to say. Its funny how everything you have in life including aviation wouldn't exist if it wasn't for science yet you don't believe them on this because it doesn't suit your fancy.

In reply six, there's no mention of him stating that he doesn't believe it because he doesn't want to, in fact, he doesn't say why he doesn't believe it all, so he doesn't really put a good argument across to give reasoning for his mindset. If he believes that he is right, and has no evidence for why he thinks that, then you cannot argue against him, regardless of how much counter-evidence you throw at him, because there's nothing to disprove.

However, although I agree there will be people who subconsciously do not want to believe in Global warming because they would prefer to live on cloud nine and escape the possibility of a negativity of that magnitude in their world, you have to understand that there are people who genuinely think that way based on other factors that global warming is not occuring, or that it is not occuring because of us. Just so I don't mislead you, I am not one of those people.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

CJAContinental

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 100):
The leadership in exposing the rubbish will come from the east, not the west. This is because in the past, the east was not really bound to crippling their economies to support the earth religion, as they were given a "free pass" for being "developing." But there is a movement, led by the USA, to make even developing nations foot the bill of self flagellation in the name of the earth mother, and those nations will balk, big time, especially as they run out of food while we burn it in place of oil. Considering those nations have over 1/2 of the world's population, that's a big force to object. And EK's growth depends on the continued growth of the east.

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing 

Well, corn is used in everything, and I suppose if oil is evil, then corn is one solution. Like you say, if this did happen, then the price of corn would go up, because of the strain from the new demands. So everyone that uses corn will have to pay up, perhaps then the raise in price is a bit like a national tax, implemented by some ruthless businessmen at heart stirthepot  so some people could be making big bucks. Or, the earth religion may be right  Wow!, with their arguments based on scientific evidence.

Again, I'm still trying to carefully filter the information from both sides of the argument, I'm not sure where I stand yet.
Work Hard/Fly Right.

sh0rtybr0wn

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 88):
Good god, why are you bringing up that book, which is should be blamed for the deaths of millions of people because it eliminated the most effective means of killing of mosquitoes which serve has the vector for infecting humans with the organism responsible for malaria.

Um....That book was in response to DDT use in America , on crops and as a pesticide. They weren't using DDT in America for malaria mosquito control. Are you saying they should put DDT back on the market? And Also, when DDT is used it gets into the ground water and causes birth defects and cancer.

Quoting HOOB747 (Reply 92):
How arrogant of you to foresee the next 100,000 years of the Earth's climate! If ,as you suggest, we caused the changes that you think are occurring, how can you rationally suggest that we can't change what we have caused? That's what irreversible means, right? So we can change the earth climate for the worse, but can't affect it for the better? That's a religious kind of rationalization.

Humans pollute. Massive influx of CO2 into the atmosphere. Basically humans will put all the carbon from gas, oil, and coal thats store under the earths crust into the atmosphere. The last time that CO2 was in the atmosphere, there were dinosaurs eating tropical plants in Alaska.... a la the earth was a lot warmer. Were recreating those conditions.

I can rationally state that global warming is irreversible because humans cant stop it once it occurs. We cant shut it off at like a switch. We have been adding CO2 to the atmosphere for decades and now the best we can hope for now is to slow that process down, but its going to be very hard with all the growth and modernization in China and India - not to mention the continued expansion in already industrialized countries.
Really, aviation is a very small part of the CO2 equation.

How do you interpret my idea of humans changing the earths climate for the worse as religious? I dont get it. Air pollution in China ( and elsewhere ) has reached epic proportions , the oceans are polluted with mercury and heavy metals, fish in the rivers and lakes in my state are so polluted with mercury and PCBs, Blue crabs along the shore in New England are inedible because of high amounts of lead, other examples : smog, acid rain, oil slicks, Chernobyl and so on. Lots of examples of humans damaging the environment, including global warming and CO2; and I dont see what religion has to do with it.

siromega

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting FWAERJ (Reply 9):

One last thing: Keep in mind that coal-fueled power plants produce more carbon emissions than air travel, automobiles/trucks, and diesel-powered trains combined, accounting for 35% of all carbon emissions in the USA alone. That is where the real global warming problem lies, yet they're still being built!

Majority leader in the Senate Harry Reid is working to stop two coal powerplants from being developed in the state of Nevada.

HOOB747

Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:38 am

Quoting Sh0rtybr0wn (Reply 104):
How do you interpret my idea of humans changing the earths climate for the worse as religious? I dont get it. Air pollution in China ( and elsewhere ) has reached epic proportions , the oceans are polluted with mercury and heavy metals, fish in the rivers and lakes in my state are so polluted with mercury and PCBs, Blue crabs along the shore in New England are inedible because of high amounts of lead, other examples : smog, acid rain, oil slicks, Chernobyl and so on. Lots of examples of humans damaging the environment, including global warming and CO2; and I dont see what religion has to do with it.

Wow, there's a lot of negative in the highlighted text, I could give you just as many examples of the opposite. But we would just run in circles with each other. I only meant religious as a metaphor for the lack of logic that many seem to have with the topic. Seems like religion takes the point of view it chooses and then comes up with an explanation to rationalize any differing position (such as: "just trust us, if you would only have faith"). Hey, I understand the overpopulation of humans and their strain on natural resources is a blight on the planet. Just don't be so dogmatic about it. Let our opinions in and maybe we all can have a discussion, not just hearing one side tell us how horrible things are and how they are never going to get better. That's self-serving, promoting your own narrow cause. I only mention religious rationalization because it mirrors the environmentalist approach to dismissing everyone's else's point of view.
I love dem planes....