Braybuddy
Topic Author

Uruguay Passes Gay Civil Partnership Laws

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:17 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1854039020071219

Congrats to Uruguay for being the first country in Latin America to introduce civil partnership laws, showing-up other countries such as my own who have yet to do so. We've been promised a bill by March, but the current government has been in no hurry to address this important issue. Along with Greece, we are the only other country in the original EU 15 states to have no civil partnership laws.

[Edited 2007-12-20 14:17:57]

LTU932

RE: Uruguay Passes Gay Civil Partnership Laws

Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:49 pm

Congrats to Uruguay for being this progressive with regards to Gay rights. However I fear that similar action will probably never happen in other Latin American countries, especially in those were the influence of the Catholic church is very big. For example, if such a gay civil partnership act was proposed by MPs here in Costa Rica, the Archbishop of San José would eat them alive and the project would immediately be dropped.

Here in Latin America, there needs to be a significant change in the way of thinking of some people first before such acts can be passed, and for that to happen, it will take at least another 20 or 30 years, when the current and next generation of politicians start to appear, and even then they need to stop being influenced by the Church in such matters.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

OA260

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
Along with Greece, we are the only other country in the original EU 15 states to have no civil partnership laws.

What does it have to do with the original 15 EU states??? There are 27 !!!

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
What does it have to do with the original 15 EU states??? There are 27

I know, but the newer states can hardly be faulted for not having their laws in line with the rest of the EU. This will take time. We've been in the EEC/EU 35 years in two weeks time and we STILL have to drag our heels on important legislation.

OA260

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 3):
This will take time. We've been in the EEC/EU 35 years in two weeks time and we STILL have to drag our heels on important legislation.

Yeah but things dont happen fast here anyway as you know and also there is still the Catholic church to deal with albeit on a much smaller scale then before ( thank god ). With regards Greece its the more Eastern culture and is slowly changing but like Ireland things take time. Its got nothing really to do with EU membership. Countries have to evolve and change gradually. There are so many cultural differences between Amsterdam and Athens and Dublin and Rome!! Ideas and mentalities have to change among the people.

To be honest Im quite surprised some of the new member states got into the EU as not only do they not have legal rights for Homosexuals but they actually turn a blind eye to violence against them. Something at least which is not tolerated in Ireland or Greece. Both Ireland and Greece have come along way in the last 10 years. Me having the link with both countries I have noticed it alot. I think such states like Latvia/Lithuania/Poland will take alot longer to change then IRL/GR took !!!

fumanchewd

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:52 pm

Quoting Braybuddy (Thread starter):
Along with Greece, we are the only other country in the original EU 15 states to have no civil partnership laws

Greece is pretty ironic in that respect.

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 3):
I know, but the newer states can hardly be faulted for not having their laws in line with the rest of the EU. This will take time.

Good luck in Poland and other Eastern European countries!

It is not only the Catholic church but also machismo that needs to be overcome.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LTU932

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:57 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 5):
It is not only the Catholic church but also machismo that needs to be overcome.

Which is why I said that a change in the way of thinking of people is required as well.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Braybuddy
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:13 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 5):
Good luck in Poland and other Eastern European countries!

Yep! The thing that struck me most about Poland was the invisibilty of gay bars and clubs. Not only would you not know they were there, you wouldn't think there was ANYTHING going on behind those closed doors.

fumanchewd

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting Braybuddy (Reply 7):
Not only would you not know they were there, you wouldn't think there was ANYTHING going on behind those closed doors.

Leave it to you to find the funnest back doors.  Wink

I was in Poland and did not see any public displays of homosexual affection. As an American, I was suspicious after seeing all of those speedos, however.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

LO231

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:37 am

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 8):
As an American, I was suspicious after seeing all of those speedos, however.

It became a joke in Poland, if you see speedos on the beach in Miami, it's an Eastern European.

Regards,
LO231

BTW. Congratulations to Uruguay and it's gay population! It's a big step..

[Edited 2007-12-20 16:40:02]
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

MD11junkie

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:59 am

While Uruguay is the first country to pass a nationwide law, this is not the first time Civil Union is the subject in Latin America.

The City of Buenos Aires and the Province of Rio Negro, in Argentina, both passed the law allowing Civil Unions between same sex partners in December 2002 and Colombia authorized it earlier this year.

Now, fortunately, there's a project to approve same sex marriage in Senate, but its going to require a LOT of effort to get this passed. Some congressmen have really retrogressive thoughts.

I wish the best to the gay population of our wonderful neighbor, this is a great step towards progress! Congratulations Uruguay!

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Here in Latin America, there needs to be a significant change in the way of thinking of some people first before such acts can be passed, and for that to happen, it will take at least another 20 or 30 years, when the current and next generation of politicians start to appear, and even then they need to stop being influenced by the Church in such matters.

Correct, but religion stil plays a vital role in many latinamerican countries. It's going to be tough to beat, and it'll take quite a few generations to do it.

Gaston - The MD11junkie
There is no such thing as Boeing vs Airbus as the queen of the skies has three engines, winglets and the sweetest nose!

LTU932

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:10 am

Quoting MD11junkie (Reply 10):
religion stil plays a vital role in many latinamerican countries.

checkmark 

This is probably the most fundamental problem that anyone advocating gay rights is going to face. Especially here in Central America, the Church has a stranglehold on issues such as gay rights and abortion, and as long as they have that stranglehold, progress in such affairs will be slow, if not non-existent.

VHXLR8

Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:07 am

Great news for Uruguay!! And soon the opponents of this law in Uruguay will end up thinking what all the big deal was about.
Meanwhile, here in Australia; which used to be one great proponents of social acceptance, is still stuck in the dark ages when it comes to this issue. Hopefully the new government will act soon and bring us in line with the rest of the intelligent world, and maybe even into the 21st century  Wink

TACAA320

Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:39 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 1):
Congrats to Uruguay for being this progressive with regards to Gay rights. However I fear that similar action will probably never happen in other Latin American countries, especially in those were the influence of the Catholic church is very big. For example, if such a gay civil partnership act was proposed by MPs here in Costa Rica, the Archbishop of San Jos� would eat them alive and the project would immediately be dropped.

In Costa Rica, according to our legislation is 100% impossible a same gender marriage.

Basically our Civil Code and the Family Code [1896 and 1973 respectively] deny the marriage of people of the same sex, as well as the abortion.

I don't see any political tendency to change he actual status quo in this regard in C.R..
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

EWRCabincrew

Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 pm

Bravo to Uruguay!! Glad to see another country added to a growing list of others offering equality to its citizens.
You can't cure stupid