Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260
Topic Author

Lisbon To Riga With No Passport From Tonight!

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:07 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7153490.stm

Fanfare for bigger border-free EU
A checkpoint between Austria and Slovakia has been dismantled in one of several events marking the enlargement of the Schengen border-free area.

Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico and Austrian Chancellor Alfred Gusenbauer sawed through a barrier at the Berg border crossing.

Ceremonies also took place in Hungary, Slovenia and the Czech Republic.

At midnight nine new countries will join the pact, creating a 24-nation border-free zone.

Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia and the Czech Republic are becoming part of the Schengen area.

Initially the lifting of internal controls will involve just land and sea borders, but that will be extended to airports at the end of March 2008.

-------------------------------

Is this a good thing or will it compromise security???

N1120A

RE: Lisbon To Riga With No Passport From Tonight!

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Quoting OA260 (Thread starter):

Is this a good thing or will it compromise security???

It's a good thing.

Rara

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 pm

Yeah, all for it. Hopefully it will bring us closer to a world where everyone is truly free to move.

LTU932

Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:41 pm

Personally, I'm all for it because it brings us all more together (not to mention that it also makes driving from one country to another much easier now  Wink ). After all, we're not just citizens of our respective countries, we're citizens of Europe as well.

To all the countries joining tonight: Welcome to Schengen! Bienvenue à Schengen! Willkommen in Schengen! Benvenutti a Schengen!

AF340

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:11 am

Wow I wish we had that. The damned US border is hell to get across. You need a passport to fly, drive, anything. I mean what the hell!!! I guess those Canadian terrorists we're always hearing about could go and whack George Bush over the head with a hockey stick  

Sorry, they even send people that aren't terrorists to Syria, Iraq, or where ever else. (*Cough* Maher Arar *Cough*)

To get back on topic:

I can't wait 'till I get my UK passport. European travel will be so easy!

AF340  

[Edited 2007-12-20 16:13:17]

LO231

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:23 am

My brother in Poland was waiting till midnight to follow the news, then he sent me an sms, he was very excited, lol

Best regards,
LO231

aircatalonia

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 am

Definitely very good news!

Still a long way to go for a truly united Europe from Portugal to Ukraine and the whole eastern Europe. Hopefully someday we will be able to drive from Lisbon to Kiev or even the balcans without even bringing our passport with us.  Smile

OV735

Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:42 am

Actually you don't have to stop just in Riga, you can go all the way to Tallinn, hop on a ferry and make it to Helsinki.  Smile

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
I can't wait 'till I get my UK passport. European travel will be so easy!

Actually the UK is not part of the Schengen treaty, so you will still be subject to passport control when going from UK to real... errr, I mean mainland Europe.  Silly  duck 

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:47 am

No offense, but who the hell would want to go from Lisbon TO Riga? I thought everyone would be doing it the other way around.

L410Turbolet

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 4):
European travel will be so easy!

I couldn't care less.
Although I kinda feel sorry for those anti-nuclear nutjobs from Austria, it will become logistically much harder to engage in their favorite pastime of blocking the border crossings.

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:03 am

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 8):
No offense, but who the hell would want to go from Lisbon TO Riga? I thought everyone would be doing it the other way around.

Actually Riga is a lovely city . People are very nice also.

Quoting OV735 (Reply 7):
Actually the UK is not part of the Schengen treaty, so you will still be subject to passport control when going from UK to real... errr, I mean mainland Europe. Silly

Also Ireland . I guess Ireland and the UK are more selective who they let in  Wink

QANTASforever

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
Actually Riga is a lovely city . People are very nice also.

Yeah, but the beaches are crap. I don't think anyone's saying "Hey, let's put on our swimsuits, stock up on Kahlua, and pack the sunscreen - we're off to Riga!!".

L410Turbolet

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:26 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 10):
I guess Ireland and the UK are more selective who they let in

Signed,

Abu Hamza al-Masri

ALexeu

Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:39 pm

Great news ! I hope that other European countries will join full Schengen threaty. Switzerland and Liechtenstein are probably next.

OA260
Topic Author

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 12):
Signed,

Abu Hamza al-Masri

Thats the PC brigade for you !!! Cant deport him because it would breech his human rights !!! Id breech his human rights given the chance .

duke

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm happy for it. It will cut some hassle. I think the police around here are serious enough about security that it will not significantly compromise security.

OHLHD

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:30 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 9):
Although I kinda feel sorry for those anti-nuclear nutjobs from Austria, it will become logistically much harder to engage in their favorite pastime of blocking the border crossings.

Pretty useless statement in connection with this thread.  Yeah sure

You will still need a passport since there is free travel BUT you always need a valid travel document and the driving license is not enough.

AF340

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Quoting OV735 (Reply 7):
ally the UK is not part of the Schengen treaty, so you will still be subject to passport control when going from UK to real... errr, I mean mainland Europe.

Oh, damn.

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 9):

I remember thinking "this is crazy" when I went throught that border. It's not nearly as bad as the US-Canada border, but compared to the Austria-Germany border (if you want to call it that) it is quite heavily guarded.

AF340 wave 

TWFirst

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:54 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 13):
Great news ! I hope that other European countries will join full Schengen threaty. Switzerland and Liechtenstein are probably next.

Switzerland already is part of Schengen I believe. Not sure about Liechtenstein.

LTU932

Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:59 pm

Quoting TWFirst (Reply 18):
Switzerland already is part of Schengen I believe. Not sure about Liechtenstein.

Switzerland is partly in the Schengen treaty. They still have their own customs rules and regulations, the same with Liechtenstein, which is part of a common customs area with Switzerland. In Switzerland, the Schengen treaty will probably just allow you to enter Switzerland with your personal ID in airports and land borders, and maybe avoid customs check as an individual. Otherwise, you're still subject to their customs regulations.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:27 pm

Switzerland and Liechtenstein are probably next.

it is to become effective late 2008 or early 2009

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 19):
Switzerland is partly in the Schengen treaty. They still have their own customs rules and regulations, the same with Liechtenstein, which is part of a common customs area with Switzerland. In Switzerland, the Schengen treaty will probably just allow you to enter Switzerland with your personal ID in airports and land borders, and maybe avoid customs check as an individual. Otherwise, you're still subject to their customs regulations.

-
no, after the Schengen/Switzerland agreement becomes effective, private persons can get in and out of Switzerland without customs control. You however have to be aware of the point that all Schengen countries still have their customs-sovereignty and that customs due to Schengen has the right to control travellers basically within a 100km zone from the border, but in case of whatever suspicion ANYWHERE. As a French customs official told me, travellers getting into France from Germany may well run into a random check somewhere on the Vosques happily enroute to Paris. THIS means that you when travelling in Europe are still required to have your Identity Card with you.
-
Right now, Swiss airports are going into some heavy re-building due to Schengen.

Sukhoi

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:31 pm

Quoting QANTASforever (Reply 11):

Hello Sir!

Have you ever been to Riga? Hop on the train for an hour to Jurmala and you have a gorgues beach. Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania all have great beaches but not for swimming during the winter if you don´t include the sauna!

lobster

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 pm

Thats good news to hear. Too bad the US and Canada can't be civil enough to do this.  Sad

Can someone answer me this though- If Austria is part of the Schengen Agreement, then why were we stopped on a night train from Germany to Italy in Austria? We got to the border, were woken up, passports checked, and then train continued. This was three years ago. What's the point of having "border-free" if you still get stopped and checked, etc?

LTU932

Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 20):
no, after the Schengen/Switzerland agreement becomes effective, private persons can get in and out of Switzerland without customs control.

I guess this will also affect Liechtenstein because of their open-border agreement with Switzerland, right?

aloges

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting Lobster (Reply 22):
why were we stopped on a night train from Germany to Italy in Austria?

Every individual member of the Schengen treaty can suspend free travel at will, for instance when there's an international political summit in the country and they're trying to keep the (known) hooligans out. The exact same thing happened to me on a night train from Italy to Germany in 2002. Overcrowded night train, that is.

ME AVN FAN

Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:11 pm

Can someone answer me this though- If Austria is part of the Schengen Agreement, then why were we stopped on a night train from Germany to Italy in Austria? We got to the border, were woken up, passports checked, and then train continued. This was three years ago. What's the point of having "border-free" if you still get stopped and checked,

"Schengen" does NOT mean that the national customs authorities have no longer a right to do adhoc random checks or checks on whomever they regard as suspicious, it means that the borders are open and you can get back and forth without permanent routine-control. If you carry merchandise in commercial quantities with you, you ought to bear in mind that the various Schengen-countries have different VAT-levels so that you can get the VAT of the country from where you get out BACK but have to pay the VAT of the one you enter.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 23):
no, after the Schengen/Switzerland agreement becomes effective, private persons can get in and out of Switzerland without customs control.
--
I guess this will also affect Liechtenstein because of their open-border agreement with Switzerland, right?

-
Sure. Liechtenstein in general usually was somewhat ahead of Switzerland in regard to UNO and EEA etc and so in a way had to "wait" for Switzerland. Before the federal vote about Schengen, which was won with some 53% YES by Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy Rey ("Dublin" was won on the same day with some 55% even), some Liechtemsteomers grumbled that they might terminate the customs treaty with Switzerland in favour of one with Austria, but such notions now are off the table !

LTU932

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:23 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 25):
Sure. Liechtenstein in general usually was somewhat ahead of Switzerland in regard to UNO and EEA etc and so in a way had to "wait" for Switzerland. Before the federal vote about Schengen, which was won with some 53% YES by Foreign Minister Micheline Calmy Rey ("Dublin" was won on the same day with some 55% even), some Liechtemsteomers grumbled that they might terminate the customs treaty with Switzerland in favour of one with Austria, but such notions now are off the table !

So in a nutshell, Switzerland, and through their bilateral Liechtenstein, are both full members of Schengen and Dublin? I previously read that it was not going to be full membership of Schengen/Dublin in some pages, hence my previous statement.

felixZRH

Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:48 pm

As far as I understood Switzerland (and therefor Lichtenstein as well) will join (in November 2008) only the Schengen treaty but not the Dublin treaty. So there will be no more controls of people *but* still customs.
But I'm anyway looking forward to this step in the bilateral way of Switzerland.

andaman

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:03 am

This have been a good news in Finland, now more quick to travel the 80km trip from Helsinki to Tallinn, by speed boats/ferries, I guess the air traffic will increase too, hopefully the helicopter service returns soon.
Also the Via Baltica road, connecting Helsinki and Warsaw, is a more tempting choice now.

ME AVN FAN

Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting FelixZRH (Reply 27):
As far as I understood Switzerland (and therefor Lichtenstein as well) will join (in November 2008) only the Schengen treaty but not the Dublin treaty. So there will be no more controls of people *but* still customs.
But I'm anyway looking forward to this step in the bilateral way of Switzerland.

-
"Schengen" and "Dublin" are both approved by federal public vote, but I don't know when "Dublin" will become effective. I suppose that all Swiss policemen hope that "Dublin" becomes effective soonest. Now it will be Mrs Widmer who has to tackle that part, possibly with slightly less "inner" resistance than Mr Blocher.
-
The other point is that Schengen does NOT mean that there is no customs, as outlined above. Quite to the contrary in a way, customs folks now can control people 20kms deep inside their countries. And the VAT-rates differ so much that merchandise traffic will remain subject to customs matters, HOWEVER in future, most such formalities even in regard to the merchandise traffic will be done electronically, so that the trucks only will be subject to random-controls.
-

Airdolomiti

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:12 pm

I'm all for this larger Schengen area, if only because of the parties with free booze that were organized along the Italian-Slovenian border the other night Big grin . Lots of people turned up at various checkpoints, and everyone was in a really good mood... couldn't have thought of a better way to celebrate!  Wink

TUNisia

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Thats good news to hear. Too bad the US and Canada can't be civil enough to do this.

We live in a paranoia infested police state... too bad is right!

ALexeu

Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 31):
We live in a paranoia infested police state... too bad is right!

But don't forget that both USA and Canada are larger then EU, so it is correct i guess...

Quoting OV735 (Reply 7):

Actually you don't have to stop just in Riga, you can go all the way to Tallinn, hop on a ferry and make it to Helsinki.

Or from Malta to Nuuk... don't forget that Greenland is Schengen zone.

OV735

Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:01 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 32):
Or from Malta to Nuuk... don't forget that Greenland is Schengen zone.

Are any of the Dutch, British or French overseas territories part of the Schengen treaty zone?

So, anyway, today in Estonia (already) the police incidentally pulled over two guys who happened to be banned from entering Estonia. By theory, the blacklists of all new member states should be incorporated into the pre-expansion blacklist, meaning that someone banned from Estonia, Malta or the Czech Republic would automatically be blcaklisted in the whole Schengen zone.

These guys, however, were Latvian nationals. Since they are banned from Estonia, they should be banned from the whole Schengen area, including Latvia. I wonder how the treaty works in this case. It's kind of difficult to expel them from the country where they have their citizenships...

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:05 am

Quoting OV735 (Reply 33):
British

As the United Kingdom itself is NOT in the Schengen-area, that part of the question is answered !  Big grin  Wink

f.pier

Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:31 pm

I'm really proud to be part of the European Union and I'm happy to see Schengen treaty applied to new states.

ALexeu

Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 34):
As the United Kingdom itself is NOT in the Schengen-area, that part of the question is answered !

Gibraltar is not part of CTA (common travel area, not Schengen) which sucks.

Are any of the Dutch, British or French overseas territories part of the Schengen treaty zone?

I opened a thread about this, and as far as i know, Faroe islands are the only dependent countries which are part of Schengen.
Vatican, Andorra, San Marino and Monaco are not part of Schengen agreement but you can move freely to these countries.

ME AVN FAN

Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:32 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 36):
Vatican, Andorra, San Marino and Monaco are not part of Schengen agreement but you can move freely to these countries.

These four countries are in customs-unions with their larger neighbours and so automatically INCLUDED in Schengen.

Toast

Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:47 pm

I'm elated to welcome new countries into the Schengen Area. It's great to see European states systematically abolishing the idiotic borders that held us apart for so long.

Did anyone see that pic of Polish and German soldiers wrapping up the barbed wire on Poland's western border? I'm not ashamed to say I felt a lump in my throat when I saw it. Who would have imagined that 20 years ago.

Here's to a new united Europe - In Varietate Concordia!  Smile

L410Turbolet

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 38):
Did anyone see that pic of Polish and German soldiers wrapping up the barbed wire on Poland's western border? I'm not ashamed to say I felt a lump in my throat when I saw it. Who would have imagined that 20 years ago.

Are you sure the picture you are mentioning wasn't taken 20 years ago? I seriously doubt there was any barbed wire left after the fall of the Iron Curtain!?!?

Toast

Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 39):
Are you sure the picture you are mentioning wasn't taken 20 years ago?

It took me a while to find a similar pic, but here it is:

the captions says "Un soldat polonais retire une section de barbelés àla frontière avec l'Allemagne." (a Polish soldier removing a length of barbed wire from the border with Germany). No date is given, but I suppose it was taken on the day Poland joined Schengen.

(http://www.lemonde.fr/web/article/0,1-0,36-991848,0.html

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 39):
I seriously doubt there was any barbed wire left after the fall of the Iron Curtain!?!?

There was a lot left across forests, where patrolling the border was especially difficult. Nice to see that crap gone at last.

ALexeu

Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:42 pm

Not really an overseas territory, but Ceuta and Mellila are part of Spain located in North Africa (Morroco). They are included in Schengen, and there is a famous Ceuta barbed wire for that reason.

ZRH

Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:21 am

Switzerland and Liechtenstein are probably next.

We are not PROBABLY next, but DEFINITELY. The agreement is already fixed and accepted by the Swiss voters and will come in effect at the of end 2008 (probably October or November).

No not yet. As said only by the end of 2008.

LH423

Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting AF340 (Reply 17):
Oh, damn.

But! All is not lost. If you were to fly from YYZ to CDG you'll be able to use your UK passport to pass through the EU citizenship line ups. Which are often shorer.

Too bad the US and Canada can't be civil enough to do this

Unfortunately it'll never happen thanks to an American obsession with security faced with a big, bad, scary world and a Canadian fear of a loss of sovereignty in the face of a hegemonic US. Until the day that the US gets over its (often irrational) fears and Canada (and many Americans) accept that an open border does not necessarily mean the end of our countries as we know it, we can only dream

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 32):

But don't forget that both USA and Canada are larger then EU, so it is correct i guess...

Yes, but don't forget that the US and Canada combined have a smaller popuation than the EU and are, geographically speaking more isolated than the EU and, culturally speaking, more alike than any two EU nations, with the possible exception of the UK and Eire. If anything, I see the arguments for a borderless US/Canada as stronger in those aspects than in the EU. However, I see the necessity, especially in terms of free movement of people and goods, of the Schengen Zone as stronger in the EU, that's why we don't have it here.

LH423

Viscount724

Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 20):
Right now, Swiss airports are going into some heavy re-building due to Schengen.

French territories appear not to be part of Schengen. Nationals of some countries who do not require a Schengen visa DO require a visa for the French terrritories.

Quoting ZRH (Reply 42):

No not yet. As said only by the end of 2008.

There was a newspaper article a few days ago suggesting that the November 2008 date for Switzerland's participation in Schengen may be optimistic since 3 countries have not yet ratified their bilateral agreements with Switzerland covering the changes. It also mentioned that changes required at airports to separate Schengen and non-Schengen passengers may not be finished by November.

ME AVN FAN

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:17 pm

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 44):
the November 2008 date for Switzerland's participation in Schengen

Whether October 08 or April 09 hardly matters so much, and that now only 3 countries are left is a good sign anyway

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 44):
changes required at airports to separate Schengen and non-Schengen passengers may not be finished by November.

According to people at customs, at police+security and at the airport-administration, ZRH will have finished the required changes by August 08, whenever some planned improvements and refurbishments (fingerdock B) will take into spring 09. But ZRH can do the Schengen operation by September if required.

MD11Engineer

Tue Dec 25, 2007 8:48 pm

Switzerland has been accepting Schengen visa for non-EU citizens since quite a while. E.g. in 2002 my Filipino girlfriend (who is a resident in Ireland, and has a multi-entry Schengen visa in her passport) was allowed to travel from Italy to Germany through Switzerland by car (together with me).

Jan

ALexeu

Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:45 pm

AFAIK, even when Switzerland joins Schengen, there will still be customs control, so there is no really point of doing it. Cyprus will join in 2008, while Romania and Bulgaria in 2011.

RIXrat

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:09 pm

As pointed out above, a Schengen agreement amongst the countries does not guarantee you travel across borders without being stopped and checked as to who you are and your intentions of visiting the neighboring country.

I have been driving for a number of years between Portugal and Spain across the Algarve bridge when they took out the immigration booths, but once, oops, a Portuguese immigration officer came out and flagged down my rent-a-car. It all turned out to be OK in the final seance, but on closely checked borders, there is still law enforcement in place.

Three of the most sensitive borders that I can think of is Estonia-Russia, Latvia-Russia-Belarus and Lithuania-Belarus. Those borders are not part of the Schengen agreement, and as we speak or write, there are more than 1,250 trucks just now stacked up at the Latvian-Russian border trying to get across.

Lufthansa747

Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:33 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 37):

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 36):
---------------------------------
These four countries are in customs-unions with their larger neighbours and so automatically INCLUDED in Schengen.

I assume a Schengen state issued residence permit is good for Monaco? I didn't find the direct answer on a French embassy website.

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 46):
Switzerland has been accepting Schengen visa for non-EU citizens since quite a while. E.g. in 2002 my Filipino girlfriend (who is a resident in Ireland, and has a multi-entry Schengen visa in her passport) was allowed to travel from Italy to Germany through Switzerland by car (together with me).

Don't think they accept the visa. But an EU/EEA country residence permit is good for entry into Switzerland.