Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetmech
Topic Author

Ford Mustang Fastback '68 (Eleanor)

Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:40 pm

G'day A'netters,

I watched the movie "Gone in 60 seconds" a while back, and I must say that I fell in love with "Eleanor", the Ford Mustang fastback that was the last car to be stolen. That vehicle is absolutely beautiful! So has any one ever owned or restored one of these beasts?

If I ever get the time and money to do up a car, I would love to restore and modify a fastback Mustang. I was thinking (fantasising) about something along the mines of a lightweight street / circuit vehicle, that had excellent handling as well as sheer grunt.

If money was no object, I would build something along the lines of the four wheel drive drive-train from a Nissan GTR behind a naturally aspirated, aluminium V8, or perhaps even the straight six twin turbo RB26-DETT that powers current Nissan Skyline GTR's. Something a bit more realistic would probably be a modern day injected aluminium V8 with some sort of independent rear end.

So what do you think? How easy is it to perform drive-line and suspension modifications to a Mustang? Do they have a separate chassis, or a front sub-frame only? Are there many good body-shells left, and what do they cost? How light could you possibly build a Mustang without going too overboard or spending too much money?

Regards, JetMech

[Edited 2007-12-22 06:42:25]
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

EMBQA

RE: Ford Mustang Fastback '68 (Eleanor)

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:21 pm

Quoting JetMech (Thread starter):
So has any one ever owned or restored one of these beasts?

Do you have any idea how much these cars cost.....?????? I highly doubt anyone on A.net has owned one. Also the car in the movie was not a real one, but a clone...... and even those bring big-big money
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

corocks

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:28 pm

Actually the car in the movie was a '67 not a '68.

I have restored a '69 fastback about 20 years ago, but did it stock as it was a 428 Cobra Jet Mach I. Wish we had not sold it. It is worth about 50-60k now.

You can modify the old cars just about anyway you want. They are very, very flexible. Shells are readily available just about anywhere, especially on eBay. Admittedly though, I have always been more into the stock "look" than when people really butcher the car. I don't mind some upgrades with new technology, but I hate the ones that have modern interiors or fuel injected or turbo engines in them with 6-speed transmissions.

EMBQA

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:37 pm

Quoting COrocks (Reply 2):

Correct me if I'm wrong.... a real Eleanor will bring $200K.... the 'clones' bring $70-130K. I just saw a steel body shell for $140K
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

jetmech
Topic Author

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:27 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
Do you have any idea how much these cars cost.....??????

No doubt a complete example would be very expensive, but if I ever get around to it, I would only initially be after a straight and rust free shell.

I have always been more into the stock "look" than when people really butcher the car

Fair enough, I can relate to that sentiment, then again, I must say that the pictures of the two Mustangs I included would be the sort of look I was after.

I don't mind some upgrades with new technology, but I hate the ones that have modern interiors or fuel injected or turbo engines in them with 6-speed transmissions.

True, but the addition of modern components may allow the car to have better performance than it did originally.

Regards, JetMech

RJdxer

Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting JetMech (Thread starter):
"Eleanor", the Ford Mustang fastback

I think the car was supposedly a Shelby GT 500. You wouldn't want to call a Shelby GT a "Mustang" to a Shelby owners face, as things could get ugly.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

EMBQA

Sun Dec 23, 2007 2:29 am

Quoting JetMech (Reply 4):
I would only initially be after a straight and rust free shell.

The Eleanor is not a real production car and was never built by Ford or Shelby in the 1960's. The Eleanor came as a result of the Nicolas Cage movie. A company builds the car for owners from real 1967 Shelby Fastback Mustangs. The name 'Eleanor' came from the first 'Gone is 60 seconds' movie and was the name of a 1974 Mustang that was stolen in that movie

http://classic-recreations.com

[Edited 2007-12-22 18:44:29]

jetmech
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):

Completely understood EMBQA. Nonetheless, the base car for "Eleanor" is a fastback Mustang. Granted, a lot of attempts a body modifications to cars can be quite overboard and tacky, but in the case of the pictures I included, I think the additions made by the owners are very complementary to the the appearance of the vehicle.

Regards, JetMech

ORFflyer

Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:39 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 1):
I highly doubt anyone on A.net has owned one

I've had two. Granted, they weren't "Eleanor's" but damn nice nonetheless.

'68 Fastback GT, 302 w/headers, alum intake, 4bbl, Hurst competition plus 4 speed, yada, yada, yada...... great car.

'66 Coupe - Nothing really special, originally had a straight six. Took all that out, put in a Chevy 350 motor and tranny - took two drive shafts, cut them, and had them welded back together so the front end slipped into the Chevy tranny, and the rear end slipped into the..... well the Ford rear-end.  bigthumbsup  Had "Chevy Powered" painted on the back.

You can modify the old cars just about anyway you want. They are very, very flexible. Shells are readily available just about anywhere, especially on eBay. Admittedly though, I have always been more into the stock "look" than when people really butcher the car. I don't mind some upgrades with new technology, but I hate the ones that have modern interiors or fuel injected or turbo engines in them with 6-speed transmissions.

checkmark 

NIKV69

Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:00 pm

Actually the car in the movie was a '67 not a '68.

Yep.

I bought a 69' Mach 1 and started the resto on it. Had the 390 motor and was so fun to drive. I did the engine and trans and some cosmetic stuff but the body and frame needed a lot of money so I sold it. The Mustang was my favorite and I owned a Firebird and Cuda as well.

[Edited 2007-12-26 06:01:10]
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

TSS

Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:24 pm

If an "as-built" restoration isn't what is desired, then why not just build what you want from scratch? New bodies are available, all you'd need is a valid VIN number from some rusted-out wreck of the correct model (fastback) and vintage ('67 or '68). No rusted parts or time-consuming disassembly to deal with at all.

Classic Mustangs are nothing more than (US) Falcons with swoopy bodywork, and as such are lead-pipe simple to work on and to assemble; they simply don't have very many pieces to put together. Also, practically every single subsystem and trim piece is available either as a reproduction or a NOS (New, Old Stock) part. Furthermore, lots of parts for classic Mustangs are cheaper than equivalent parts for my 1988 Oldsmobile!
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

jetmech
Topic Author

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:48 am

Quoting TSS (Reply 10):

Thanks for the info TSS, nice link as well  Smile !

Regards, JetMech

UAL747

Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:01 am

My dad collects old cars and has the '68 Mustang Fast Back, however, everything under the hood is new as well as the interior. I don't fancy old muscle cars, but his Fast Back gets a lot of attention when he drives it. It's kind of this cool shade of purple, ( i know, sounds gross, but it's actually attractive). But yeah, I think the current Mustang is heavily designed in the nostalgia of the 1968 Fast Back.

UAL
"Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy. Bangkok Tower, United 890 Heavy.....Okay, fine, we'll just turn 190 and Visual Our Way