Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Phoenix9
Topic Author

Does Anyone Here Own A Bang & Olufsen Music System

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:33 am

Hello all,

I'm planning on buying an audio system for my place and so far have narrowed it down to Bang & Olufsen or Nakamichi Soundspace. I've heard Nakamichi system before and the sound is amazing. Can someone here please comment on B&O system and the sound quality?

Any other recommendations for a good sound system?

UAL747

RE: Does Anyone Here Own A Bang & Olufsen Music System

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:47 am

B&O is great stuff. My dad has the stuff in his living room. However, I don't know if things have changed, but you can ONLY use Bang and Olufsen speakers with your audio. You are gonna pay out the arse for it, and while it is very elegant and neat to look at, you don't have a wide range of choices. But, if you want a high end comprehensive system that everyone will oooh and aaah about, then go with B&O. Personally, I like something a little more dramatic, which is why I have Martin Logan SL3 Electro-Static speakers. Now there's a piece of technology EVERYONE loves. The speakers are about as tall as I am and are see-through, yes see through. You get all your mids and highs from the large electrostatic panel and your base comes from a subwoofer at the base of each speaker. Everyone wants to know how it makes sound, well it does, but beware, you need a helluva powerful amp to run those babies. But if you are into classical music like I am and want to hear EVERY crisp and clear detail, then I highly suggest them, with the higher end pre-amp and one amp dedicated to each speaker, and some REALLY nice dual channel, 4-wired speaker cables. Nothing puts a nice system to shame more than crappy speaker cables.

www.martinlogan.com

UAL

cfalk

Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:55 am

Nakamishi is the better system in terms of technology. B&O has always been a few years behind on technology - their claim to fame is great design work.

The problem with B&O is mainly in their speakers, IMHO. The shape and size of speakers and their casings must follow function if you want to get the most out of them, and cool design work almost guarantees that their performance has been sacrificed for looks.

Personally, a good rack sound system has its own easthetic value. Whenever I see a B&O system, I tell myself, "here is a person more interested in how something looks than how it performs".

LHRjc

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:10 am

My parents have a B&O sound system. It's quite old now, but still looks and sounds brand new. As others have said the main thing about B&O is the great design. But, that said, I have owned a lot of separates and high end audio gear personally and to me, the sound that comes out of this particular B&O system is out of this world.

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
However, I don't know if things have changed, but you can ONLY use Bang and Olufsen speakers with your audio.

Maybe theirs was made before this, but they have KEF speakers attached to their B&O system. The B&O ones still work, but they are not used.

Type-Rated

Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:27 pm

Also consider that B&O no longer sells parts to repair shops. You have to have B&O service your equipment, for megabucks.
I agree that having a Bang & Olufsen sound system is a bit like having a Mercedes in the driveway rather than in the garage. It lets people know you have made it.

RobK

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:40 am

It's clear none of you guys know anything about hifi !!

If you want sound quality then B&O is the last make you should be looking at. B&O stuff is all for show and nothing else, period. Just pick up any top end hifi mag (like Hi-Fi+ http://www.hifiplus.com ) and you'll never see them listed in the best buys or ever getting good reviews for sound quality. I mean, speakers with water fountains in them?!?! Commmmme on....  sarcastic 

As for which to choose, well only you can decide as everyone has their own preferred sound. Find out who your nearest top end hifi dealer is then go down and discuss it and get them to set you some systems up in their listening room and spend some time listening to them.

Don't forget that buying the hifi is only the start if you truly want awesome sound quality. You then need to spend around the same amount again on high quality speaker cable, i/c's, gold plugs, high quality power lead, spiked feet, equipment stand etc.. Then you have the mammoth task of setting it all up; getting the speakers in the millimetre perfect position so that when you play your music the sound stage simply blows you away and it sounds like they're playing live, right in front of you. And that positioning can take months to get spot on.

R

KaiGywer

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:48 am

Quoting UAL747 (Reply 1):
and some REALLY nice dual channel, 4-wired speaker cables. Nothing puts a nice system to shame more than crappy speaker cables.

Sounds like my uncle. Except he has eight wires to each speaker coming from two mono amps. Yes, he is an audio freak. When they built their house, he had an electrical circuit dedicated just to his hifi.

RobK

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:07 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 6):
he had an electrical circuit dedicated just to his hifi.

Did the same on mine when I had my house rewired last year. Having it on a circuit with no breaks (other sockets) and other electrical appliance interference certainly makes a difference. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of doing it if I hadn't already had the house apart doing the rewiring though.

R

Superfly

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:40 am

Quoting Cfalk (Reply 2):
Nakamishi is the better system in terms of technology. B&O has always been a few years behind on technology - their claim to fame is great design work.

The problem with B&O is mainly in their speakers, IMHO. The shape and size of speakers and their casings must follow function if you want to get the most out of them, and cool design work almost guarantees that their performance has been sacrificed for looks.

Personally, a good rack sound system has its own easthetic value. Whenever I see a B&O system, I tell myself, "here is a person more interested in how something looks than how it performs".

Quoting RobK (Reply 5):
If you want sound quality then B&O is the last make you should be looking at. B&O stuff is all for show and nothing else, period.

checkmark 

c looks great but if you are looking for good sound, stay away from them.

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 4):
Also consider that B&O no longer sells parts to repair shops. You have to have B&O service your equipment, for megabucks.

Wow, I didn't know that. Is this a new policy? Are they a dying company like Sharper Image?
Bang & Olufsen closed their store here in San Francisco in Union Square. I guess business wasn't so great.