Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deaphen
Topic Author

I Quit Smoking Today - Support And Encouragement!

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Hey guys:

I quit smoking today, and i cannot tell you how satisfied i feel. I smoked for 4 years and today was the first day that i havent had a single cigarette.

I know there may be some of you who have quit cold turkey too, can i have some support or information or just generally what you felt when you quit?

I have had a nagging feeling to just have a few puffs, but i have held out very well till now. I can actually smell things! Its amazing.

Anything you have to add will be appreciated.

Warm regards from India
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

seb146

RE: I Quit Smoking Today - Support And Encouragement!

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:41 pm

What helped me is not telling anyone. Seriously. There is less pressure and you can focus on other things rather than worrying about someone nagging you about not smoking. Also, drink lots of water and avoid caffeine for the first few days.

I wish you all the best!
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

wilco737

Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:43 pm

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! And keep it that way!

WILCO737 (MD11F)
 airplane 

okees

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:10 pm

If worst comes to worse, use the nicorette inhaler, my dad swears by it. He was a heavy smoker, used it to stop, hes been clean for 4 months now.

Good luck.
Happy new year
okees
mobs jakis

nirmalmakadia

Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:12 pm

Way to go Nitin.

I smoked for last 10 years and quit smoking in August last year on my birthday. Haven't smoked since then. I feel really good now. I had the same nagging feeling to smoke first few days. Just divert your mind to something that you like.

Good Luck

Nirmal

Gunships

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:46 pm

This past November was my one-year, smoke-free anniversary. Prior to that, I smoked pretty heavily for almost thirty years. One day, I just decided it was time and quit cold turkey.

It was one of the hardest things I've ever accomplished in my life.

Stick with it, take it one day at a time. Next thing you know, it will have been a week. Then a month, and so on.

Good luck!

kmh1956

Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:56 pm

Quoting Deaphen (Thread starter):
i cannot tell you how satisfied i feel.

After one day? When did you actually have your last smoke?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

deaphen
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:02 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 6):
After one day? When did you actually have your last smoke?

yes after one day! i had psyched myself out that i couldnt go a single day without lighting up! I had my last smoke day before yesterday!

And honestly, even physically i feel better, no horrible cough, no smell of smoke, no dirty breath, etc.

regards
Nitin
I want every single airport and airplane in India to be on A.net!

B747forever

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Good luck!!

Today my dad also stopped to smoke, after 12year of smoking. I think that he wont make it, but lets wish him the best luck!!
Work Hard, Fly Right

Springbok747

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Good job man...you've done the right thing. Hope you can keep it up. Good luck!

BTW...I've never understood why people smoke..I think its the most disgusting habit ever.
אני תומך בישראל

Dougloid

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:13 pm

I quit smoking at the age of 32 on June 22, 1980 and my wife quit a week or two later. We quit cold turkey, no support groups or patches, no nothing. Up until that I'd been a two pack a day smoker, started in high school, and she wasn't far behind me.

I had tried to quit several times before, I was concerned about the long term health effects, and that day I finished my last Marlboro and said "I don't need this anymore." That was the end and I haven't smoked since....I haven't even been tempted. One time one of the guys in the shop dared me so I said, light a cigarette and give it to me. He did, and I held it until it burned down and died. He was surprised. I didn't think will power entered into it because I was done with the whole thing. I'd worn it out. Maybe I'd decided I didn't want to be James Dean anymore....it is hard to describe the feeling of being finished with something, like maybe dumping a toxic lover for the last time.

Here's one thing that helped get me in the right frame of mind. I had been to see my doctor a few months earlier and asked him if I should have a chest xray. He says "You're like a lot of smokers, you're feeling guilty, but don't worry about it because if I could see anything in the xray there's only one chance in four I could do anything about it. So I'm not going to give you an xray. Most smokers don't get lung cancer anyway, but they ALL get emphysema."

I thought about that off and on and I thought about a guy I knew who had emphysema pretty bad.

When we quit we started putting our cigarette money in a jar-about a dollar a day for each of us. After a month or so, we emptied it out on the kitchen table and there was a huge pile of singles. I went and bought a Ruger revolver which iIstill have.

Best of luck....smoking's a pretty retarded thing to do and I'm sorry I wasted all that time and money on it.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

kiwiandrew

Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:19 pm

congratulations - I suspect that if you put to one side every day the money you would normally spend on cigarettes by the end of the first month you will wonder why you ever started - try to visualise something special you can do with that money and that way any time you start to waiver you will have a 'reward' to hold on to in your mind

jafa39

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:17 pm

If you everfeel the need for a ciggie,I suggest you stick your nose in a full ashtray....you won't want to smoke after that!
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

ronglimeng

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:27 pm

I was in the doctor's office a couple of weeks ago and I saw an interesting poster, encouraging people to stop smoking.

It listed a series of times from your last cigarette and the resulting improvements in your body....

"Just twenty minutes after your last cigarette, your heart rate drops.
Within twelve hours after quitting, the carbon monoxide levels in your blood drop to normal...."

And it goes on from there listing long times and bigger improvements.

So I guess your body is seeing some improvements already!

Good luck!!

ZKSUJ

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:39 pm

Good Luck, all the best and I wish you well

milan320

Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:42 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 1):
What helped me is not telling anyone. Seriously. There is less pressure and you can focus on other things rather than worrying about someone nagging you about not smoking. Also, drink lots of water and avoid caffeine for the first few days.

What helped me is actually telling all my friends and family that I was about to quit. If I failed, I'd end up with egg on my face, so to keep my integrity intact I had to follow through with my promise  Smile

It's easier than people think when it comes to quitting smoking. I quit on the first try after smoking for 10 years. Just take it one day at a time and before you know it a week goes by, then a month, then a year, etc.

Smoke free now for 4 years. Feels like I never smoked, though to be honest, I don't feel that much different ... hangovers though are not as bad  Smile
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

steeler83

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:16 pm

I quit smoking today, and i cannot tell you how satisfied i feel. I smoked for 4 years and today was the first day that i havent had a single cigarette.

Good job, if only I could get my father to quit that disgusting habit!

He's been puffing since 1969 or so and I really wish he would stop! It's beginning to have adverse affects on him. Correction, that started about 5 or 6 years ago. I am really worried about this...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

zTagged

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:17 pm

I have 3 left until I give up.. I seriously need to.. First stop on my new year's goal, give that up.
Second stop, lose 40 pounds before next new year's. Both are achievable.  biggrin 
Something awful.

jetblueguy22

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:58 pm

Good for you! The best thing to remember is how much healthier you will be. My father quit about a year ago. To help him he started running. At first it is a little tough but it gets easier and gets you outside. Try and work towards a 5K running race and I guarantee you will feel much better. Now if only my stepmom would quit!
Blue
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

CO7e7

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:19 am

I wish you all the best.

It is not impossible to quit cold turkey like you did. It takes a lot of inner strength. My dad quit smoking 2 years ago (cold turkey) after he had been smoking for almost 30 years. Granted it wasn't easy, as he gained a bit of weight... but it can be done.

My dad's advice to you is: Stay Strong. (mentally that is)

Good Luck!

photopilot

Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:11 am

Stick with it and if you have to, struggle to get through the weak moments. They WILL pass!

I quit almost 12 years ago after 20 years of a pack-a-day habit, but I didn't have a choice. Smoking put me flat on my back in a hospital bed and major surgery. Luckily I survived and was able to go on with my life, but that's not a way of quiting that I'd wish on anybody. So doing it now, of your own choice is a good thing.

Only advantage of my way..... while in hospital, I had morphine for two weeks and didn't even miss the nicotine. But that wasn't fun either.

Best of luck and hang in there.

WestJetYQQ

Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:20 am

Quoting ZTagged (Reply 17):
Second stop, lose 40 pounds before next new year's.

Hey, that's part of my goal for this year I've dubbed "Get Less Chub"

Good Luck Deaphen.
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

cedars747

Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:05 am

I Quit Smoking Today - Support And Encouragement!

I did the same six years ago and never ever touched a cigarette ,thanks to ZYBAN of course !
Good luck Deaphen !

Alex!!!
Tengo una pasion por la aviacion /لدي شغف للطيران / I have a passion for aviation /Jeg har en lidenskap for luftfart/ J'ai une passion pour l'aviation.

HAWK21M

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:08 am

Congrats Nitin Good Start....Is to decide,now plan & Implement.

If it makes you feel any better...I've never started smoking apart for a trial in college days,but I did not see any benifits.

Its all about Will power.since you have a Habit,You need to break it.So Firstly keep the Cigs & Lighter/Matchbox way from your vicinity.

Just get busy.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

NeilYYZ

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:15 am

Good luck! I went cold turkey last June 11th. I chewed gum like a mad feign. It was also about the 5th time I tried, before this time the longest I went was about 3 weeks. Now about 7 months in I rarely have a craving, and if I do it passes in about a minute. It isn't easy, but it's worth it without a doubt!
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

OHLHD

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:40 am

I quit smoking some years ago and I felt great after one week but after that I was running around like a junkie. Trembling and an unbelievable desire for getting a cigarette. That lasted for 2 weeks and approximately after 4 weeks the worst was over. Ever since I have not smoked and never used any nicorette or stuff like that.

Good luck!

lewis

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 am

I quit a few months ago using Pfizer's Champix for a little while. What would really help is to keep away from friends/relatives that smoke for a little while. I know it might sound strange but when I quit, I always got the urge to smoke when 3-4 people around me would light up.

HickoryShampoo

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:33 am

I'll be celebrating 5 yrs smoke-free in February. After failing twice with the patch, it took my wife threatening divorce to make me quit cold turkey.

Look forward to fewer illnesses, food with flavor, a little more spending money and better breath. Keep it going. You won't regret it and you'll wonder why you ever started.
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

Nimish

RE: I Quit Smoking Today - Support And Encourageme

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:14 pm

• Try and stay far far away from anyone lighting up - that just-burnt smell is really overpowering (I sometimes still feel the urge if I'm next to someone just lighting up despite having given up 15 years ago).
  • Try and stay far away from anyone smoking - esp "buddies" who'll try and pull you back into smoking
  • Avoid drinking for the next month or two - as your will power might be reduced after a couple of drinks  Wink
  • Don't celebrate giving up until at least 6-12 months have gone by, as I've seen people (stupidly) celebrate 2-3 months without a smoke by lighting up  banghead  (as they now think they have the will power to stop smoking and it's easily done "later").
  • Each person is different, but I had strong urges to smoke even 2 years after I gave up... So it's key to keep your guard up all the time.
  • Your girlfriend(s)  Wink will love you more, your children will love you more, you'll feel much better... everyone will benefit from your giving up smoking. So keep up the determination (and you'll require tons of it).

Good luck!
Incredible India!

kmh1956

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:38 pm

Can we have an update? Are you ready to kill anyone yet?
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:56 am

hey....
I guess Nitin Quit Smoking & Quit posting too.

Whats the update.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)