Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LAXspotter
Topic Author

NBA Fans

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:01 am

Since 1/3 of the season is over, just wanted to get a discussion started about your teams, and and who is realistically going to be a legit contender for the Title. What are some of the dissapointments this season, Miami and Chicago? Who are the best rookies? and so on.

I'm going to start off by naming the three best teams in the league which IMO are

Detroit
Boston
San Antonio

Others:

Lakers
Dallas
Phoenix
Orlando
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel" Samuel Johnson

dragon-wings

RE: NBA Fans

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:43 am

I am not a big fan of the NBA and I don't follow a specific team but the Knicks are just awful. Isiah Thomas is the wost coach there is! They need to start over from scratch.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:57 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 1):
I don't follow a specific team but the Knicks are just awful

judging that youre from the New York area, you are probably being bombarded with NY Knicks headlines, there is a bitter anti Isiah Thomas movement, but there are far worse teams who expectations exceeded those of the Knicks, the Bulls and the Heat were supposed to be playoff caliber teams and in the first 30 games of the season they havent proved that. I think the blame in NY lies with the lack of drive for the players and less on the coach.

Alias1024

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:09 am

Watch out for my Portland Trail Blazers!!! Just had a 13 game winning streak, and as the youngest team in the NBA are only getting better. They're going to be scary next year with Greg Oden in the lineup. Big grin
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

UTA_flyinghigh

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:10 am

Boston's 27-3 is indeed impressive but one has to wonder how much gas they'll have in the tank come playoff time. This is where teams like San Antonio and Detroit thrive, during the money time.
I would however like BOS to get back to the Finals though.

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:13 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 3):
They're going to be scary next year with Greg Oden in the lineup.

watch out Utah and Denver

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 4):
gas they'll have in the tank come playoff time

I dont think Pierce, Allen and Garnett are going to get tired, however the depth of the celtics is not quite as impressive. House and Posey are the only ones that come to mind. However that hasnt affected them. I still find it hard to believe that they will lose less than 10 games.

Quoting UTA_flyinghigh (Reply 4):
I would however like BOS to get back to the Finals though.

I really hope there is someone esle in the east besides BOS, DTW, and ORL. I hope Cleveland can get it together behind the king, and follow up on an unbelivable performance last year.

smcmac32msn

Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:50 pm

As a Bucks fan, I've gotta say most impressive so far is the Blazers. I can't imagine how good they'll be when Greg Oden comes back next year. Biggest disappointment so far is the Bulls as I thought they'd be neck&neck with the Pistons in the Central. I'm one of the few who thought Boston would be what they are, just for the fact Ray Allen is amazing and those guys all seemed to get along before they played together there.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

AirCop

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:17 pm

What? Are there are actually people who follow the NBA regular season?

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 2):
Isiah Thomas

I admit I not a huge NBA, heck if the Phoenix Suns weren't in the league I wouldn't know that the NBA still existed, but what the heck is Isiah Thomas is doing around the game? Proved a failure in Toronto, Indiana, destroyed the CBA, and now has made the Knicks the joke of the league.

Tom in NO

Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Biggest surprise has to be the Hornets at 21-11.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

LTU932

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:52 pm

Maybe it's a pipe dream at this stage, but how about a classic Lakers vs Celtics final in June?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:51 pm

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 6):
Bulls as I thought they'd be neck&neck with the Pistons in the Central

well I think theyre going to bounce back with their interim head coach, but no anywhere near the Pistons this year

Quoting Smcmac32msn (Reply 6):
As a Bucks fan,

Yi Jianlian is probably the second best Rookie

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):
actually people who follow the NBA regular season?

yeah, cause some of us find Baseball boring.

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 8):
Biggest surprise has to be the Hornets at 21-11.

well they're underrated, no one knows David West and the other starting three except for Chris Paul.

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 9):
classic Lakers vs Celtics final in June?

Not going to happen, the lakers are not in the same league as San Antonio, Detroit or Boston.

HickoryShampoo

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:18 pm

This is the first year since the strike that I've had any interest in the NBA. Perhaps that's due to FX's A.netter fantasy league.

The Rockets seem to be on par with Houston's traditional sports pedigree of doing well enough to get the fans excited, yet falling short of anything meaningful. *sigh* I'd say I felt like a Cubs fan, but at least the Rockets won a couple championships back in the '90s.  duck 
This place is cashed, so I'm out. Someone PM me when A.net comes back.

galapagapop

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 pm

As a longtime Knicks fan I think anyone can guess my level of interest in the NBA this year.......

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Quoting Galapagapop (Reply 12):
As a longtime Knicks fan

How about the Nets  Big grin.

Quoting HickoryShampoo (Reply 11):

Its quite disheartening to see Yao and McGrady the two best 1-2 punches in the game on paper struggle.

AllegiantAir

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 pm

Quoting LAXspotter (Thread starter):
What are some of the dissapointments this season, Miami and Chicago

Well, being a Minnesota fan... Embarrassment

Anyway, Chicago should be doing better, I mean, they just added onto their team this year with Smith, Noah, and Gray. I can't think of anyone they cut over the offseason. Miami is a disapointment, and they might need to start a hunt of a Center because Mourning is out for the season, maybe his career, and Shaq is getting older everyday, so in a few years I hope they have a new, young, solid PF or C, because Barron and Anthony aren't gonna cut it, IMO.

I just got back to being an NBA fan this year after taking a break during the 06-07 season, if anyone cares  Silly
Live to Fly.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:15 pm

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 14):
being a Minnesota fan...

no high expectations for them, I hope Danny Ainge gives Mchale something in return for that trade deal.

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 14):
I mean, they just added onto their team this year with Smith, Noah, and Gray

they look like they might rebound from this slump, in the last 5 games I think they won four of them.

AllegiantAir

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:29 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 15):
they look like they might rebound from this slump, in the last 5 games I think they won four of them

Ya, I watched a bit of the Orlando vs. Chicago game and it was neck and neck, which suprised me since the Magic are one of the best teams in the league. I do agree, it looks like the Bulls are getting their act together.
Live to Fly.

LTU932

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 10):
Not going to happen, the lakers are not in the same league as San Antonio, Detroit or Boston.

Hence why I said that maybe it's a pipe dream.

Quoting AllegiantAir (Reply 16):
I do agree, it looks like the Bulls are getting their act together.

Maybe a bit too late? To me, the Bulls look like relegation candidates if the NBA had relegation (which I know it doesn't). The Bulls seem to have led a shadow existence ever since Jordan retired (the second time) and Phil Jackson left. Now, I'm off the loop because nowadays I rarely watch the NBA at all (though the curiousity of how the Celtics are doing has made me watch it again at all for the first time in years), so I don't know what has happened so far. To someone who rarely follows the NBA, it looks like what the Bulls need are two new leaders, one on the court and one on the sidelines, both capable of leading the team to victory and at least become a permanent fixture in the playoffs again.

Too much has changed in the NBA after I stopped watching it. The Charlotte Hornets moved to NOLA and Charlotte eventually got a new franchise with the Bobcats, the Vancouver Grizzlies moved to Memphis, Adidas has exclusivity on NBA gear, a referee manipulation scandal, the retirement of great players like Detlef Schrempf, Scottie Pippen, Charles Barkley and Patrick Ewing and the rise of new stars like Dirk Nowitzki, Tony Parker, Lebron James, and of course the rise of the Argentinians in the NBA and World Basketball, then Boston Celtics, after years of misery since the retirement of Larry Bird, has made a comeback with a bang and becomes top candidate to eventually walk through the playoffs and win the NBA Finals, not to mention winning the entire Eastern Conference this regular season, it's all so confusing. Even catching up on the NFL after I stopped watching that a few years ago wasn't as confusing.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

threeifbyair

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:08 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Thread starter):
Who are the best rookies?

Kevin Durant keeps winning the awards so far. Having seen him in person a couple of times, he is a spectacular talent, but he makes those typical rookie mistakes. He'll throw the ball away on one possession, than nail a 3 pointer from 25-30 feet on the next. This is, of course, only his 2nd season of high-level competitive basketball. His upside is huge.

Too bad the Sonics are all but moved to OKC, I will miss getting ridiculously cheap ($3.75) tickets on eBay.  Wink

LTU932

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 7):
what the heck is Isiah Thomas is doing around the game? Proved a failure in Toronto, Indiana, destroyed the CBA, and now has made the Knicks the joke of the league.

I guess this article validates your point:

http://www.sport1.de/de/sport/artikel_2104453.html (German only)

The title of it seems fitting, Isiah Thomas im Größenwahn (Isiah Thomas with delusions of grandure), because despite being the second worst team of the Eastern Conference, Thomas is still talking about winning the title. This is the first time that I see one of the worst teams of any sports still claim that they're title candidates. Three words for that: what the hell?!

N1120A

Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 am

Quoting LAXspotter (Reply 10):

I think the Lakers' domination of Detroit and Phoenix combined with their split series so far against San Antonio paints a different picture.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 20):
I think the Lakers' domination of Detroit and Phoenix combined with their split series so far against San Antonio paints a different picture.

Well I dont have an explanation for DTW, but for PHX I think lakers have an easier time with less defensive minded teams. I think the lakers are amongst the best teams in the west, maybe top 3 or 4 but it is too early to tell.

Palladium

Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:53 pm

Ummm... Don't forget.... Portland.

They are soo damn hot now

pdxtriple7

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:51 pm

Go Blazers!!!

My family has had season tickets for about 7 years now and it is nice to the team competing every night. Hopefully we'll get revenge on Utah tonight.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:32 pm

Quoting Pdxtriple7 (Reply 23):
it is nice to the team competing every night. Hopefully we'll get revenge on Utah tonight.

I'm hoping they lose tonight, I hate the growing hubris of the fans of Boston and the Trailblazers. I think eventually Denver and Utah are going to be 1 and 2 in their division, and the trailblazers will be out of the playoffs.

JBo

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:02 am

Two words:

DEEE-TROIT BASKETBALL!

Let's see how the Pistons handle Boston at the Palace tonight, and if they can bring that streak to, what, 12 games now?  Big grin
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:21 am

Quoting JBo (Reply 25):
DEEE-TROIT BASKETBALL!

I'm so jealous of that damn team. What dont they have? Good defense, sufficient offensive threats, great five starters, great bench and experience. Hell of a team.

KPDX

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:17 am

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 3):
Watch out for my Portland Trail Blazers!!! Just had a 13 game winning streak, and as the youngest team in the NBA are only getting better. They're going to be scary next year with Greg Oden in the lineup.

Quoting Palladium (Reply 22):
Ummm... Don't forget.... Portland.

They are soo damn hot now

Quoting Pdxtriple7 (Reply 23):
Go Blazers!!!

My family has had season tickets for about 7 years now and it is nice to the team competing every night. Hopefully we'll get revenge on Utah tonight.

bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup  bigthumbsup 

GO BLAZERS! Starting second streak, going for 3 tonight. Big grin

KPDX  Smile

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:19 am

Quoting KPDX (Reply 27):
GO BLAZERS! Starting second streak, going for 3 tonight.

is blazermania sweeping Portland, even amongst people who've never picked up a basketball  Big grin ?

pdxtriple7

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:14 am

Winning 16 out of the last 17 is quite impressive. True test will be the 7 game east coast trip.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:37 am

Quoting Pdxtriple7 (Reply 29):
16 out of the last 17 is quite impressive

damn you guys. I dont want Portland in the playoffs, I want Houston to have a chance along with Utah.

LAXspotter
Topic Author

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:12 am

Just wondering what are your guys favorite All-stars for the 2008 All Star Game, for it is as follows

West

C Yao
G Nash
G Kobe
F Carmelo
F Carlos Boozer

East

C Dwight Howard
G Carter
G Kidd
F James
F Bosh