Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

I Just Voted

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:05 pm

...Via absentee ballot in the New Hampshire Primary.

My parents moved up there when I was in college, and I claim NH as my legal home of record. The tax benefits are excellent. Anyway, I voted via absentee ballot. And I must admit, I was thoroughly unimpressed with my choices.

Part of me wanted to vote on pure principle - which would mean I would have voted for a guy with ZERO chance.

Then part of me wanted to vote for a guy I thought had the best chance at winning - which would mean I would have voted for a guy who mildly like.

And then part of me wanted to get involved in the whole McCain/Romney war. In NH they are very close, and it could really swing in either man's direction. And if either man wins, they have a strong chance at propelling themselves to the nomination. (Oh btw: all Democratic choices were off the table. Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser.)

So I ended up splitting it, and voting for the man who is the closest to my own views, but who I thought still had a chance of winning.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

MaverickM11

RE: I Just Voted

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:12 pm

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Thread starter):
Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser

Ha. Can I get that on a bumper sticker? Silly
I don't take responsibility at all

Queso

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:14 pm

So I ended up splitting it, and voting for the man who is the closest to my own views, but who I thought still had a chance of winning.

Thompson?

aerobalance

Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:18 pm

I just tooted...

Congrats on excersising your right to vote, if everybody in the U.S. did so I believe we would have different elected officials then the ones that are present, past and future.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

kmh1956

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 3):
if everybody in the U.S. did so I believe we would have different elected officials then the ones that are present, past and future.

And those who do not vote, IMO, have no right to bitch and moan when the "wrong" people get elected....
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

IFEMaster

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:35 pm

Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser.

rotfl  Aharon, can I have permission to use that in my signature? Properly credited, of course...
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

ORFflyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:45 pm

Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser

rotf   rotf   rotf   rotf   rotf   rotf 

Q: What did the troops in Iraq tell Chelsea when she asked them their biggest fear?

A: Osama, Obama, and yo mamma!!

N74JW

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:59 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 4):
And those who do not vote, IMO, have no right to bitch and moan when the "wrong" people get elected....

thumbsdown 

Everyone says that... What if there is no candidate that fits your political views? Go with the next best thing??? That option is pretty lame too. Perhaps if there were candidates worth voting for, more folks would turn out. If you pay taxes you can bitch...
rm -r *

IADCA

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:03 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
Everyone says that... What if there is no candidate that fits your political views? Go with the next best thing??? That option is pretty lame too.

That's why I've advocated a "none of the above" option on ballots. Of course, what would we do when that option won every election?

PHLBOS

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
What if there is no candidate that fits your political views?

You can always either write-in a candidate or None of the Above.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

srbmod

You should have voted for the candidate that has the hottest wife........

At this point, I'm still undecided. According to that Candidate Test that's been making the rounds, I should vote for Joe Biden. Honestly, none of the candidates either party is running really grab me.

Tom in NO

Part of me wanted to vote on pure principle - which would mean I would have voted for a guy with ZERO chance.

Then part of me wanted to vote for a guy I thought had the best chance at winning - which would mean I would have voted for a guy who mildly like.

Props on getting your voice heard.....my vote will always go to the candidate whose views most closely parallel mine...doesn't matter how much or how little of a chance that candidate has to win.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:08 pm

Those that fail to exercise their right to vote have absolutely notthing - NOTHING - to say regarding anyone holding an elected office . . . .good, bad, indifferent. They forfeit their right to ANY opinion the day they fail to vote . . . .

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):

Including you.

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
If you pay taxes you can bitch...

FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Queso

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:09 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
What if there is no candidate that fits your political views? Go with the next best thing??? That option is pretty lame too. Perhaps if there were candidates worth voting for, more folks would turn out. If you pay taxes you can bitch...

No you can't. See below....

Quoting IADCA (Reply 8):
Of course, what would we do when that option won every election?

If none of the candidates is close enough to your own line of thinking that you are comfortable voting for them then you either need to be drafting someone who you can vote for or run yourself. There simply is NO EXCUSE for not voting. Chances are that if you're not satisfied, there are plenty of other people out there that feel the same way and that's not the way it should be.

fumanchewd

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:10 pm

As I've said before, I wasn't allowed to vote last time and I will still bitch.  Wow!
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:13 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 14):
I wasn't allowed to vote last time and I will still bitch.

Different situation with you . . . .

Making a CHOICE not to vote is NOT the same as not being able to vote . . . .

I know your issue . . . .
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

Queso

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:18 pm

Hillary is a bitch.

IADCA

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:27 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 13):

If none of the candidates is close enough to your own line of thinking that you are comfortable voting for them then you either need to be drafting someone who you can vote for or run yourself.

And that's just the problem. Normal, middle-class, hardworking people don't have the time to run their own grassroots political campaigns or the connections to drum up support for a true "man of the people" candidate who would express many of the sentiments of people who aren't voting. This, of course, assumes that the people who aren't voting actually have different views from the ones who are. This is of somewhat dubious truth, even though it's frequently assumed to be true, although the studies supporting the opposite conclusion are somewhat methodologically flawed due to the way people actually think about politics not really matching the way the surveys measure their views. Anyway, that's a tangent. The problem is that the present structure of American campaigns precludes genuine populist (little P, for all of you who know anything about politics in the 1890s) candidates from reaching the ballot in the general election, and then essentially precludes any chance of write-in candidates on anything more than an extremely well-organized local level.

NoUFO

Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:32 pm

Quoting Fumanchewd (Reply 14):
As I've said before, I wasn't allowed to vote last time and I will still bitch.

Does your state revoke the right to vote from prisoners?
I support the right to arm bears

N74JW

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:03 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 12):
Reply 12

Awesome flag pole! I think you are wrong. It is your/my vote, and we can do what we want with it. That includes nothing, if the candidates are BS. Pee right up that flag pole!!!

Democracy by majority rules instead of Democracy by equality, that makes sense...

Quoting Queso (Reply 13):
There simply is NO EXCUSE for not voting. Chances are that if you're not satisfied, there are plenty of other people out there that feel the same way and that's not the way it should be.

Can we get that on a pillow? Get real, not many people have the resources to run for President.
rm -r *

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:55 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 19):
Awesome flag pole!

Thanks, feel free to use it as often as necessary . . . biggrin 

I think you are wrong.

We're even then . . . you're going to pay taxes no matter WHO is in office. You might as well have a say . . .

Apples and Oranges . . .

Paying taxes has NOTHING to do with voting.

No Vote = No Dog in the Hunt = Forfeited right to bitch.

N74JW

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:16 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Paying taxes has NOTHING to do with voting.

Aren't taxes, just the fees for living in an organized society. 'We have a government with services, and an economy, and industry, but taxes is how we keep it running'. 'If you want to be a part of our society, you must ante-up as well.'

Voting is a factor of the American society's design. I pay, but I do not support your candidates. Thus, I cannot honestly vote for anyone. It sounds like a gripe to me...
rm -r *

allstarflyer

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
What if there is no candidate that fits your political views?

Akin to what's being said here about the right to complain afterwards, if you don't like any choice, then write-in your old basketball coach, or your favorite uncle or your own self. You could pull a reverse Richard Daley Sr. and write-in someone who's already died. One guy in the office last night said he'd like to dig Reagan out of the ground and put him back in the W.H. (guess he thinks a dead Reagan could do better than what we have now  duck  ). The point is, if you don't voice your opinion now (or on election day), who should listen when you voice it later?
Living the American Dream

Queso

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:48 pm

Get real, not many people have the resources to run for President.

If you can't find a candidate you can support that has a chance of winning, it means that your views are not shared by a large enough number of people to get wide approval. So you take what you can get. And that might be a very good indication that your views are off the fringe of the mainstream. Either way, one of the candidates should at least be a closer fit to your views that the others.

Quoting N74JW (Reply 21):
I cannot honestly vote for anyone. It sounds like a gripe to me...

Yep. And you have no influence over who makes the laws you have to live by. By all means, please don't vote. That makes my vote twice as influential as it already is! I love people that don't vote because I'd rather have it that way than having them supporting a candidate that I oppose! Enjoy your griping here in the forum while I go vote and elect your leaders!

Superfly

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:54 pm

UH60FtRucker:
Since you have been a cheerleader and mouthpiece for the status quo and the establishment, my guess is that you voted for Rudy Giuliani or John McCain?
Bring back the Concorde

Yellowstone

Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:57 pm

Quoting Queso (Reply 23):
By all means, please don't vote. That makes my vote twice as influential as it already is!

I'm reminded of this passage from a Stephen Colbert sidebar in Jon Stewart's America: The Book

(after he explains that your vote does count, but that it only counts .000000949%)

"But there is good news. Due to the rampant (and growing) cynicism of people who feel their vote doesn't make a difference, voter turnout is steadily decreasing. Where this cynicism comes from escapes me, but it means that with each passing electoral cycle, the value of one vote increases. Now, it's difficult to imagine a day when the candidates running don't vote. So that's two votes right there. But, it is not difficult to imagine a day when only one other person bothers to vote. And oh, what a valuable vote that would be!"
Hydrogen is an odorless, colorless gas which, given enough time, turns into people.

stasisLAX

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:01 am

Can we get that on a pillow? Get real, not many people have the resources to run for President.

It's not necessarily about the financial resources that an individual candidate has! It's really about the strength of the message that that individual candidate carries and how that message resonates with the voting public.

Look at Ron Paul's presidential campaign - his entirely grass-roots campaign raised over $19M in the fourth quarter of 2007. How did he raise that much money ? It's the message that Ron Paul is communicating to the American public! Paul is a 10-term U.S. Congressman from Republican districts in Texas and was the Libertarian candidate for president in 1988. In the Republican debates, he takes no prisoners and calls things as he sees them because he has 20 years of experience in Washington's political machines. Paul has connected with citizens due to his emphatic antiwar, low-tax, anti-immigration, free-trade, and small-government views — the kind of positions that appeal to independent voters which make up a large percentage of the electorate.

What Americans really need to have is a renewal in our confidence that government works for each and every one of us - not just the wealthy, the politically powerful, and big American corporations like Halliburton or Blackwater that have the cards stacked in their favor by an overly intrusive government. Then people might have enough of a reason return to the voting booth because they won't feel so alienated from the political process.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety!" B.Franklin

tsaord

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:32 am

Glad you voted.

This will be my first Presidential race I can vote in. Now if my candidate doesn't make it to the general election I don't think I will vote in that one. Voting is a right people should have the right to exercise or not. If there is no particular cadidate who is of interest why vote for someone you don't want?
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

Queso

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:49 am

Quoting Tsaord (Reply 27):
If there is no particular cadidate who is of interest why vote for someone you don't want?

Somebody is going to be elected, that much is certain. Why not have some say in which candidate it will be?

CupraIbiza

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:50 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 3):
if everybody in the U.S. did so I believe we would have different elected officials then the ones that are present, past and future.

Make it compulsory! Then its no longer an issue. I stongly believe in compulsory voting. We SHOULD be FORCED and FINED if neccesary to make that decision each election. Then has been noted we all have no one to blame (or congratulate) but ourselves.
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

N74JW

Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:59 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 22):
Akin to what's being said here about the right to complain afterwards, if you don't like any choice, then write-in your old basketball coach, or your favorite uncle or your own self. You could pull a reverse Richard Daley Sr. and write-in someone who's already died. One guy in the office last night said he'd like to dig Reagan out of the ground and put him back in the W.H. (guess he thinks a dead Reagan could do better than what we have now duck ). The point is, if you don't voice your opinion now (or on election day), who should listen when you voice it later?

Well, isn't that the same thing? If I were to vote for a candidate that is not on the ballot, it will not be counted. What is the good, then?

Quoting Queso (Reply 23):
Yep. And you have no influence over who makes the laws you have to live by. By all means, please don't vote. That makes my vote twice as influential as it already is! I love people that don't vote because I'd rather have it that way than having them supporting a candidate that I oppose! Enjoy your griping here in the forum while I go vote and elect your leaders!

I think you are drinking too much kool-aid. No one vote makes a difference, even yours...

Quoting StasisLAX (Reply 26):
What Americans really need to have is a renewal in our confidence that government works for each and every one of us - not just the wealthy, the politically powerful, and big American corporations like Halliburton or Blackwater that have the cards stacked in their favor by an overly intrusive government. Then people might have enough of a reason return to the voting booth because they won't feel so alienated from the political process.

I agree with you, but American politics is way too in bed with corporate America. Lobbyists, and corporate big-wigs swing the votes with large sums of cash. I would really like to see someone who is not a career politician run. No New England blue-bloods, Southern pole-cats, and people from California, but an every day average American...
rm -r *

Superfly

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:08 am

Quoting N74JW (Reply 30):
and people from California

There has only been 1 President born & raised in California; Richard Nixon.
Ronald Reagan came to California as an adult. Same for Hoover. It's rare to see a major candidate from California.
There are millions of everyday average Americans here in California.

[Edited 2008-01-03 17:11:23]
Bring back the Concorde

AGM100

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:09 am

VOTING works ! Do it.

Really sad see in the last local election here in Tucson , voter turn out was horrible. We have a senator from a district here that we all know is corrupt . He supports complete amnesty for illegals and the right for them to have vote ..errrrr drivers licences. He is so far off the chart liberal , supports free health care for illegals and all of the dressing that goes along with it.He wins over and over by about 2000 votes or whatever because about 10% of registered repubs show up. .  banghead  VOTE... someone died for your right to do it !
You dig the hole .. I fill the hole . 100% employment !

QFA380

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:39 am

I agree with Cupralbiza, compulsory voting is the way to go. Imagine how much harder the candidates would have to work! They have to get the entire population to vote for them. I'm sure many of them have become complacent in their campaigning, they know they can rely on people that will vote for the republican no matter what, in the case of George W Bush.

Also I have a question, does a standing President still have to go through all the primaries or do they automatically get the nomination of their party because they have already won an election?

No one vote makes a difference, even yours...

I think that is the mentality that the US needs to shed. Everyone's vote does make a difference because without their personal vote their would be no collective vote that ultimately decides who wins.

I find it amazing how much strength 1 vote differs in the US. In Wyoming, the least populated state of the US, there is 170 000 people per electoral vote, while in California there 660 000 per vote. It seems that people in these little states believe that they have no power in their vote when they actually hold the most power.

Queso

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:58 am

No one vote makes a difference, even yours...

Maybe that's true but there are so many of you now that don't vote it makes those of us who do vote all that much more powerful. Thank you for not voting!

MD-90

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:05 am

Those that fail to exercise their right to vote have absolutely notthing - NOTHING - to say regarding anyone holding an elected office . . . .good, bad, indifferent. They forfeit their right to ANY opinion the day they fail to vote . . . .

I cannot disagree more. Refusing to vote and choosing not to legitimize the state is a rational choice.

Without votes politicians cannot continue the deception that they actually represent the people instead of special interests who donate money to elect politicians in return for political favors.

ANCFlyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:10 am

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 35):
I cannot disagree more.

We had this conversation a long time ago.

Same applies to you MD-90. No Vote = No gripe. You forfeit your right . . .

Without votes politicians cannot continue the deception that they actually represent the people

What kind of malarkey . . . oh wait!!! LEW ROCKWELL!!! I remember!

laughing 

Queso

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:20 am

Without votes politicians cannot continue the deception that they actually represent the people instead of special interests who donate money to elect politicians in return for political favors.

Oh yes they can. The difference is that you help expedite and legitimize the process by not voting. YOU are the one that gives power to the special interest groups by allowing their members to outnumber the "common man" at the polls! Special interest groups do not elect leaders- citizens voting do.

VonRichtofen

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:23 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 11):
Props on getting your voice heard.....my vote will always go to the candidate whose views most closely parallel mine...doesn't matter how much or how little of a chance that candidate has to win.

That's exactly how it should be. One thing I've noticed about American politics is many voters just blindly vote for the Republican or Democrat candidate just because their parents were democrats or whatever. Or, even worse vote for the candidate who is the best looking, and who has the cleanest personal life rather than voting for the candidate who will tackle the important issues for the country as a whole.

People need to actually get out and vote (this includes Canada too, which also has a pretty bad voter turnout of about 65% for federal elections), forget party loyalties and all of that BS, and actually vote in line with your principals regardless of who's winning, hairstyles, whether they've had a divorce etc. etc.

It's funny, so many people don't even vote, yet EVERYONE complains.

UH60FtRucker
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 am

I also meant to report that when I spoke to the town clerk over the phone, asking for her to send me a ballot, she noted that many college students had also been calling for ballots. More so than in normal election cycles.

It gives me hope that perhaps finally the younger generation is taking an active interest voting. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Quoting Superfly (Reply 24):
UH60FtRucker:
Since you have been a cheerleader and mouthpiece for the status quo and the establishment, my guess is that you voted for Rudy Giuliani or John McCain?

Ignoring you're snippy remark (What's the matter, got sand in your crotch?)

Hardly.

I based my vote on three main criteria.

- Immigration
- Taxes
- Dealing with Islam/Iraq/Middle East/terrorists nut jobs.

Everyone has their own criteria for what they find most important. I had mine, and I based my vote off of who best matched those criteria, yet still retained a chance of getting elected.

-UH60
Your men have to follow your orders. They don't have to go to your funeral.

N174UA

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:49 am

all Democratic choices were off the table. Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser.)

checkmark 

What was the point of this thread if you don't tell us who you voted for? I've read 39 replies and I want that 2 minutes back.

dl021

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 am

I Just Voted

Thanks for your service. I believe it to be the duty of a good citizen.

that said....allow me to disagree with my very good friend

Actually they have the absolute right to voice their opinion, if not the moral high ground. But they better be able to take the heat from people exercising their own rights to voice their opinion that the non-voters are part of the problem and not the solution.

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
If you pay taxes you can bitch...

Taxes and breathing is the only thing we have to do.. ... oh, yeah, and register for the draft.
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MD-90

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Queso (Reply 37):
Oh yes they can. The difference is that you help expedite and legitimize the process by not voting.

Legitimize elections by not voting? Utterly ridiculous! If no one voted then the politicians have no legitimacy.

Quoting UH60FtRucker (Reply 39):
It gives me hope that perhaps finally the younger generation is taking an active interest voting. I'm not holding my breath, though.

I bet many of them are voting for Ron Paul. It remains to be seen whether New Hampshire really still is the "Live Free or Die" state.

And ANCFlyer ex-soldier and current policeman is pro-state. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you!

allstarflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:47 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 41):
But they better be able to take the heat from people exercising their own rights to voice their opinion that the non-voters are part of the problem and not the solution.

I agree it's their first amendment right to still say what they want, but, IMO (and I think this is akin to what you're saying here), their voice gets a bit smaller when they can't say they brought action to the table by voting.
Living the American Dream

zak

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 am

great, kucinic 08!  Wink
10=2

zippyjet

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:55 am

Obama is too inexperienced

Reagan was mediocre B-List actor before he became the governor of California. I'll concede he was president of SAG.

I respect your post I hope you didn't vote for Romney. I don't like him or trust him. An elite Republican from Boston and, I won't go into his religious affiliation.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

MD-90

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:39 am

Quoting Allstarflyer (Reply 43):
I agree it's their first amendment right to still say what they want, but, IMO (and I think this is akin to what you're saying here), their voice gets a bit smaller when they can't say they brought action to the table by voting.

And that is a perfectly legitimate view. Lots of people feel that way about American politics. Personally, I oppose voting in Presidential elections unless we have a viable candidate that is actually honest, trustworthy, and pro-liberty. Dr. Ron Paul is that candidate and I will vote for him if he receives the Republican nomination, but if he doesn't why bother voting? I guess if it was Hillary vs Huckabee I would vote for Huckabee, just to spite Hillary and because Huckabee is pro-2A. Otherwise, one's a male socialist and the other's a female socialist and there's hardly any difference between them.

But if I was able to caucus in Iowa or vote in New Hampshire's primary you bet I'd do it.

NIKV69

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:47 am

Quoting Superfly (Reply 31):
There are millions of everyday average Americans here in California.

I am not even going to touch that one.

Quoting N174UA (Reply 40):
What was the point of this thread if you don't tell us who you voted for? I've read 39 replies and I want that 2 minutes back.

Yea really why are we doing the secret thing here? Just tell us. I am too tired to figure this out but Superfly is right on it's either McCain or Romney from what I can gather.

One thing I will say about Hillary. She has done herself and her campaign by having her husband along. I mean he has hurt her big time.
I am the Googlizer!!!

czbbflier

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Quoting N74jw (Reply 7):
What if there is no candidate that fits your political views? Go with the next best thing??? That option is pretty lame too. Perhaps if there were candidates worth voting for, more folks would turn out.

Run yourself or spoil your ballot by, as others have mentioned, writing in somebody else's name, or your name or writing on the ballot, "Everybody Sucks!"

If you vote where there are only voting machines (either analogue or digital) there may be no way to vote for 'none of the above'. It might take some forethought, such as asking for a mail-in ballot, but it can be done.

Well, isn't that the same thing? If I were to vote for a candidate that is not on the ballot, it will not be counted. What is the good, then?

Oh, it's counted alright. It's counted as a spoiled ballot.... a vote for no vote. If you've written "Everybody Sucks" across the ballot, believe me, it gets noticed.

Hillary is a bitch. Obama is too inexperienced. And Edwards is a loser.

'Bitch' is an awfully banal word. It can mean so many things it means nothing at all. It can also be quite offensive.

Like it or not... like her or not, Hillary has credibility and has used her resources to get her where she is... just as all the other candidates have. So far in this campaign, nobody else has been called such derogatory names, so singling out Hillary Clinton in this manner is neither mature nor thoughtful.

Calling people names provides no insight into the reasons why one might come to that conclusion that 'someone is a so-and-so' - something people legitimately should know if there really is a problem with a candidate's personality or way of interacting with others.

ORFflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Quoting Czbbflier (Reply 48):
so singling out Hillary Clinton in this manner is neither mature nor thoughtful.

He didn't single her out - two other folks were mentioned in the same sentence. And others in the rest of the post.