Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyDeltaJets87

RE: NFL Playoff Thread: Wildcard Weekend

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:57 am

HOLY CRAP!

Interception Pittsburgh, and they're in the Red Zone. Hold on folks. The Fat Lady's running late. This one isn't even close to over.
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:05 am

Who the hell was Garrard throwing to?

Steelers now up 29-28.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:05 am

Ohhh... My.... GOSH!!!!!!!

I cannot fricking believe this!!! Okay, THIS is what I wanted of them! HALLI-FRICKING-LUYA!!!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Tom in NO

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:13 am

Steelers just benefited by an offsetting penalties non-call on Heinz Ward for that facemask.....methinks they would have scored even if that play was called the way it should've been.....talk about a tale of two halves!

Regarding the Seahawks, props on their win...now they get a return engagement at Lambeau. I would've liked to have seen the Hawks defender take a knee on that last INT (ala Brian Westbrook) in the last 30 seconds...the Skins weren't going anywhere.

Lastly, the Sean Taylor/Skins season analogy made above was pretty weak...

Tom at MSY (on the CrackBerry)
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:19 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 53):
Steelers just benefited by an offsetting penalties non-call on Heinz Ward for that facemask.....methinks they would have scored even if that play was called the way it should've been.....talk about a tale of two halves!

Wow... I did not happen to see that 4th and 1 play. I left the room for one second... Anyway, it looks like they've morphed into the Pats!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:23 am

well... here comes a blown challenge...

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:31 am

HUGE run by Garrard on 4th down to put the Jaguars in field goal range.

As a Jags fan, the second half has not been fun, but as a football fan, it's been exceptional.

-Mir

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:35 am

Darn... Jacksonville pulled this one out... Hats off to them!

The Steelers rallied from a huge deficit but it's not going to be enough...

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:38 am

Ben fumbled on the play... game over... 31-29 Jags. Good job for both teams actually, but wow!!! How about them Jags!

Pittsburgh has a lot to fix by next year...

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:41 am

FUMBLE! IT'S OVER!!!!  biggrin   champagne   bouncy 

Ok, now I can breathe again.  relieved 

Hats off to the Steelers for not rolling over and coming back in the 4th quarter - it was one of the best games I've seen in a while. And I'm really proud of my team for not rolling over and dying like they used to in the past and sticking it out to win.

Things don't get any easier next week.

-Mir

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:42 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 58):
Ben fumbled on the play... game over... 31-29 Jags. Good job for both teams actually, but wow!!! How about them Jags!

Looked like Eli Manning on that play...damn.

I was just waiting for Jacksonville to pull a "Tony Romo" on their go ahead field goal attempt, lol. Anyway, for a game I really didn't care one way or the other who won (even with being a Bengals fan and thus hating the Steelers in the regular season, lol), it was an exciting game. Important game for me is at 100 PM tomorrow though.

GO G-MEN!

aerobalance

Great game, good to see the Steelers make a game of it. Jags finally woke up at the end.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

CastleIsland

Well put, Steeler83. I've been worried about JAX for the last 6-7 weeks. I'd much rather kick the Stillers than the Jags; but we must beat the best if we are to be the best. Oh, BTW, INDY is nowhere in this conversation.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

Tom in NO

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:45 am

Looked like Big Ben was thinking lateral when he fumbled...his hands were both in front of him, looked like he thinking of lobbing it back to whoever that was behind him.

Props to J-ville, though...they'll be tough next week against either the Colts or the Bolts.

"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

LTU932

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:46 am

Apart from those injured, how about a few re-inforcements for the O-Line to keep the others from sacking Roethlisberger?

What pisses me off are the two blown two-point conversions. Why didn't Tomlin go for a regular extra-point then? It could have at least given the Steelers the possibility of going to Overtime. And how come they only reacted in the second half? The Steelers got butchered in the first half, apart from the opening drive TD. For the Jaguars, the gamewinning move definitely had to be Garrard's third down rush, which eventually got them in field goal range.

Congrats to JAX. My Superbowl hopes for this season now reside with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

allstarflyer

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:48 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 63):
they'll be tough next week against either the Colts or the Bolts.

I think the Chargers would have to play the Colts if they win, which, I hope is likely. I want to see how Jax will fare in NE.

Stud win for Jax, even though they managed to play like an NFC team most of the 2nd half.
Living the American Dream

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:54 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 62):
Well put, Steeler83. I've been worried about JAX for the last 6-7 weeks. I'd much rather kick the Stillers than the Jags; but we must beat the best if we are to be the best. Oh, BTW, INDY is nowhere in this conversation.

I think this year's Jags were my Steelers of 2005 in terms of caliber of play in the playoffs. At least your Pats don't have to face them (Jacksonville)... yet  Wink

I think the Jags play the no 2 seed (Indy) while the victor of the 3/6 seed tomorrow goes to weather the storm in Foxborough. I think Indy can easily be beat as we have proven in 2005. I am going to root for Jacksonville in the playoffs, along with the Pack because I like Favre. I like the way he played this season and I like how his team was behind him this season

BTW, I brought up Indy for ya...  Wink

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:16 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 66):
I think Indy can easily be beat as we have proven in 2005.

I wouldn't call the Steelers win in 2005 easy.

The Jaguars can beat either the Colts or the Pats, but they have to play their game and play it well. If they play like they did in the second half tonight, it won't be pretty.

-Mir

GuitrThree

Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:39 am

To keep this aviation related, Delta must be hating this playoff schedule.

A 767-300 left Nashville this morning at 9:11 AM Central time taking the Titans to KSAN as the normal Titans Delta Charter as DAL9785.

Then, after dropping off the Titans, the jet flew (presumably) EMPTY all the way to KPIT for an 8:33 PM ET landing to take the winning Jags home.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9785

It's currently scheduled for a departure to KJAX as DAL9828.

That almost cross country empty flight can't be cheap, and not any fun for the bean counters in the Delta offices....

Anyway...

games turned out like I thought. I did, however, grow increasingly tired of the Sean Taylor mentions. I know, I know, but really, it seemed like thats all they talked about, and instead of talking about a far superior team in the Seahawks, all we heard was Sean this and 21 that. All that game needed was Brett Favre to be in it and it would be the ultimate feel good game ever...

The Jaguars won, but by a far less margin that I figured.

Tomorrows games, one easy and one toss up. Titans lose, and probably big. In the other game, don't ask me which team will want to lose more, my guess is the Giants.
As Seen On FlightRadar24! Radar ==> F-KBNA5

MSYtristar

Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:11 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 67):
The Jaguars can beat either the Colts or the Pats

Well, the Colts beat them twice during the regular season. They can and would do it a third time. I'll take Manning over Garrard in the big game. And on the same token, I think the Pats are too much for the Jags at home.

AFC Championship game:

Indy at N.E

threeifbyair

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:16 am

Quoting ThreeIfByAir (Reply 23):
I'll venture another guess: 35-31 Hawks

Hehe, I got one (the important one  Wink) right.

Bring on the frozen tundra of Lambeau Field! Too bad Al Harris still plays for Green Bay...

CO7e7

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:35 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):
Let's see what is wrong with my team here...

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):
Special teams

checkmark  They can't block to save their lives.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 36):
Mike Tomlin

You answered your own question. Personally, i don't see this guy taking the Steelers anywhere. I think he's the main problem. Granted Pitt. won 10 regular season games, but they lost some really "easy" games against teams that didn't make the playoffs. (Den, AZ, NYJ). They have the talent, but the coach lacks leadership. Just my 0.02 cents.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 45):
Perhaps just give up Steeler football for a while.

Don't be like some Steeler fans i know.......... a band-waggoner.

It breaks my heart to tell you this, but as a Browns fan, i'm very happy Pitt lost.  Wink (it's the rivalry)

GO BROWNS!!!!!!!!!!

Tom in NO

Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:34 pm

Anybody else getting the crappy live Fox feed on the Giants/Bucs game?! It's a consistently rapid skip.....and no, it ain't our cable...all other channels are fine.

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:06 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 72):
Anybody else getting the crappy live Fox feed on the Giants/Bucs game?! It's a consistently rapid skip.....and no, it ain't our cable...all other channels are fine.

We're getting good feed here, though we're watching it on the HD at my house, which I believe comes from a different feed than regular cable.

AirCop

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:46 pm

We're getting good feed here in Arizona..Then again it might be a bad feed after all since it shows the Giants winning.  ashamed 

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 67):
The Jaguars can beat either the Colts or the Pats, but they have to play their game and play it well. If they play like they did in the second half tonight, it won't be pretty.

You have a point there

Quoting Mir (Reply 67):
I wouldn't call the Steelers win in 2005 easy.

Well they made it look easy in the first 3 quarters or so. Of course, Pete Moronelli made one of the worst calls in the history of the game in turning over an interception that even Rainman and Stevie Wonder would have ruled an interception. We didn't do a very good job at overcoming that call. Fumbles and missed field goals happen, they're a part of the game, and I think both teams did quite well given the circumstances of the final 2 minutes. That was one of the best finishes of any game I have ever watched!

Of course, they really had to play that game like they meant it. Putting up a 14-0 lead right off the bat against a monster team like the Colts is not easy...

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 71):
You answered your own question. Personally, i don't see this guy taking the Steelers anywhere. I think he's the main problem. Granted Pitt. won 10 regular season games, but they lost some really "easy" games against teams that didn't make the playoffs. (Den, AZ, NYJ). They have the talent, but the coach lacks leadership. Just my 0.02 cents.

I am sure people were saying the same thing about Chuck Knoll during seasons 1969 through 1971. Chuck Knoll won his first game ever, and that was it for their season -- they finished that year 1-13 or 14 or however many games they played in a season back then. Anyway, we'll see where next season takes us I suppose... I guess when there's a changing of the guard there is a slump period. As teammates get more acquainted with their coach and each other, they begin to click better. Again, we'll see how 2008 turns out. Next year is not going to be easy. We're going to need to spend our time in the draft digging for gold!

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 71):
Don't be like some Steeler fans i know.......... a band-waggoner.

Nah I don't think I could do that. I will always follow the steelers. It's just sometimes I get way to aggravated when I watch them. It would just be a way for me to not get so frusterated with theim, maybe if I didn't get so involved er whatever. I think there are lots more band-wagoners for the Pats and Cowboys than the Steelers I think, of course all three are powerhouse teams, so they're bound to have some bandwagoners. I was born and raised in Pittsburgh, and raised as a Steelers fan, so I am not a bandwagoner.

I only watch one team, and that is the black n gold. There is no other team for me. I do want to watch the Packers though, they kinda grew on me because of Brett Favre. He's a great quarterback, and also a good human being from what I have seen of him. He was high-fiving the refs at the last home game, and I kinda liked that. I love how excited he gets when he and his teammates score touchdowns. He is almost 40 and yet has the energy of a 20-something-year-old. I also like how the Jaguars played as well. I think both of these teams can make the Super Bowl, and will definitely be a team worth watching if that happens to be the case!  Smile

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Giants win 24-14 over the Bucs and advance to play Dallas next week.  biggrin   bigthumbsup 

Falcon84

Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:49 pm

Have to give the kudo's when it's deserved. I rapped Eli Manning pretty hard for his poor play in the fourth quarter last Sunday vs. New England, but he looked like the guy Giants' fans have been waiting for against TB. He was steady, and in command, as the Giants rolled. They play like that against Dallas, the 'Boys will be in for a tough one next weekend.
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 77):
They play like that against Dallas, the 'Boys will be in for a tough one next weekend.

Props to the Giants! I would like to see them beat Dallas or for anyone beat them for that matter. I never liked Dallas, and I don't like T.O...

dragon-wings

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:08 pm

The Giants' Ahmad Bradshaw is one exciting player to watch. He will be a 1,000 yard rusher in the NFL one day.
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

PSA53

Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:57 pm

As usual, the Chargers are starting slow and very fortunate so far, as the game has boiled down to a defensive game .Antonio Gates is out and questionable to returned.Titans 6-0 over the Chargers at the half on two field goals.

Go Chargers!

Add-on SadLOL) Big typo error.

[Edited 2008-01-06 15:15:25]
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Quoting PSA53 (Reply 80):
Titians

What do Renaissance nudes have to do with the NFL?  Wink
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:44 pm

As usual, the Chargers are starting slow and very fortunate so far, as the game has boiled down to a defensive game .Antonio Gates is out and questionable to returned.Titans 6-0 over the Chargers at the half on two field goals.

Go Chargers!

Hopefully they can pull off the victory over the Titans, although it would be neat to see both wildcard teams advance to the next round... I still think Jacksonville posing as a serious threat to the Pats and Colts tho... Heh, watch the Titans win, then topple the Colts and the Jags top the Pats. That would make for one incredible AFC Title game!  Smile

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 81):
What do Renaissance nudes have to do with the NFL?

Euh... to have as many pop cultural items have some reference to partial nudity?  Wink

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Go Chargers!

Hopefully they can pull off the victory over the Titans, although it would be neat to see both wildcard teams advance to the next round... I still think Jacksonville posing as a serious threat to the Pats and Colts tho... Heh, watch the Titans win, then topple the Colts and the Jags top the Pats. That would make for one incredible AFC Title game!  

Euh... to have as many pop cultural items have some reference to partial nudity?  

Ok... somehow this wound up turning into a double post... What gives???

[Edited 2008-01-06 15:48:06]

MSYtristar

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:31 am

As a Colts fan, I'm happy about the way things are playing out.

SD @ IND....all I can say is that revenge is a dish that is best served cold.  Wink

JAX @ NE....NE will have its hands full with this team, and although I expect a NE win, a NE loss would not surprise me.

Needless to say a JAX @ IND AFC Championship game would be freaking awesome.

PSA53

Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:44 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 83):

Euh... to have as many pop cultural items have some reference to partial nudity?

Ok... somehow this wound up turning into a double post... What gives???

Actually,my big bad.Mispelled Titians,Titans before edited.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 84):
SD @ IND....all I can say is that revenge is a dish that is best served cold

Well,the Chargers can't be a just a second half team.We need to play the whole game if we going to win against Indy.
But we broke the losing streak!Yeah!!!

Go Chargers!
Tuesday's Off! Do not disturb.

steeler83
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:39 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 64):
how about a few re-inforcements for the O-Line to keep the others from sacking Roethlisberger?

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 64):
What pisses me off are the two blown two-point conversions. Why didn't Tomlin go for a regular extra-point then? It could have at least given the Steelers the possibility of going to Overtime. And how come they only reacted in the second half? The Steelers got butchered in the first half, apart from the opening drive TD. For the Jaguars, the gamewinning move definitely had to be Garrard's third down rush, which eventually got them in field goal range.

Congrats to JAX. My Superbowl hopes for this season now reside with the Green Bay Packers and Brett Favre.

Man, what part of Germany are you in? I say we get together for a few pints of beer in utter agreement of what is wrong with the Steelers!!  

I have been arguing those points since mid season, and apparently they were never fixed...

Quoting GuitrThree (Reply 68):
Then, after dropping off the Titans, the jet flew (presumably) EMPTY all the way to KPIT for an 8:33 PM ET landing to take the winning Jags home.

So PIT saw a 763? Well, in a way Pittsburgh wins, seeing a widebody aircraft-- the airport anyway  

On a side note, UA is going all mainline to ORD, and there's rumors of possibly adding n/s to LAX or SFO (I assume on either an A320/319 or 757) and there's talk of B6 adding flights   

now back to the NFL and more talk about next week. I take it the Titans beat SD? Then I am going with Titans and Jags for this upcomming weekend! If my predictions are correct, we could have a wild wild AFC Title game!!!  Aren't both the Titans and Jags in the AFC South? I believe the AFC East is New England, NY Jets, Bills, and Dolphins.

Hot damn that looks exciting!!!

heheh... reply #86, for WR Hines Ward!!  Smile

Win or lose, Go Steelers!!! May we regroup, learn, move on and improve for next season!!  Smile

[Edited 2008-01-06 18:41:29]

LTU932

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:25 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 86):
Man, what part of Germany are you in?

I'm not in Germany right now, I'm in SYQ, so that will be difficult. Anyway, I do enjoy watching American Football, plus my hometown GFL team, the Hamburg Blue Devils, is also one of the most successful American Football teams in Germany, that's how I got hooked on this game in the first place.  

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 86):
I take it the Titans beat SD?

No, the other way around, SD beat the Titans with a second half comeback.

[Edited 2008-01-06 19:29:59]
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

steeler83
Topic Author

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:04 am

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 87):
No, the other way around, SD beat the Titans with a second half comeback.

Oh well, at least we'll hopefully see Jacksonville in the AFC Title game likely playing the Colts, although San Diego is a pretty tough team. I hope it's Jacksonville vs the Pack in the Super Bowl tho. It will be tough for me to decide who to root for. I like both, but I would like to see Favre win it again...

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Well, I was 2 - 2 on my wild card pics. Should we start a new thread for this weekend, or continue with this one?

I'm going with:

Indy over the Chargers - The Peyton factor wins this one.

NE over JAX - could be an upset, but I still think Brady and Moss et al are winning the Super Bowl.

GB over SEA - It's in GB, and Farve is having a fantastic year.

Giants over Dallas - Upset pick. The Giants are real tough on the road, and Dallas just hasn't been playing the last few weeks like they were for the better part of the season. (besides - I got a hundred bucs with my neighbor saying the COWBOYS don't win the Super Bowl)

MSYtristar

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:12 pm

This week's picks...I was 3 for 4 last week, which is surprising since I usually suck at picking winner's...maybe that's why Fox declined my request to be put on their pre game show....or maybe I don't have a face for TV....anyway, here we go:

SEA @ GB

GB by a few. Will be a close game. I'm rooting for Favre in this one.

NY @ DAL

Eli continues his good play and the Giants will pull out a close win by maybe three points.

JAX @ NE

NE wins it, but not without a tough fight from the tenacious Jaguars.

SD @ IND

Will not be a blowout by any means, but Indy will win it at home by ten.

NFC Championship:

NYG @ GB

AFC Championship:

IND @ NE

Super Bowl:

NYG vs. IND ( brother against brother in the big show  Wink )

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:24 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 90):
NYG vs. IND ( brother against brother in the big show  

Sentimental pick perhaps??  Wink

While we're both picking the same four winners this week, I'm picking the Pats beating the Packers in the SB.

MSYtristar

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 91):
Sentimental pick perhaps??

Perhaps. I met them once back in New Orleans at a restaurant near the high school they played at...so I might as well root for them.  Wink

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 91):
While we're both picking the same four winners this week, I'm picking the Pats beating the Packers in the SB.

That would be an entertaining game, and hey, it wouldn't be a stretch to see those teams play each other.