Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

steeler83
Topic Author

NFL Playoff Thread: Wildcard Weekend

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:17 am

I didn't see a playoff thread posted yet, so I think I shal start one for Wildcard Weekend

I will begin with my team against the Jags, and frankly I don't think they stand a chance. The Steelers are rather banged up and will be without key players, especially Parker. This sport is about attrition, taking injuries with a grain of salt, stepping in and stepping up to fill in the hole, which is something Pittsburgh apparently needs to learn the definition of. The team has gotten very soft in all phases, but especially on o-line and in defense. 45+ sacks for Big Ben is way too large a number. This is almost 3 sacks/game on average, which to me is staggering. While the Steelers cooled off, the Jaguars have picked up steam before losing in a meaningless matchup in the season closer. Pat Kirwan of nfl.com is picking the Steelers in a low-scoring game, but I think it will be the other way around for reasons already discussed.

Jaguars: 24-17

Tennessee vs San Diego
Tennessee has won its finale to venture into the playoffs as the 6th seed in the NFL, but they will face a dangerous San Diego team, who has a rather healthy Ladanian Tomlinson, who is considered by many to be the best RB in the NFL. Plus, SD is at home. I am not sure what else could be said about these teams (sorry for my lack of knowledge of these two teams, but I am going with my gut and a San Diego victory

Chargers: 27-24

Now over to the NFC

New York at Tampa Bay
The Giants have finished out the season with a hot streak, winning 7 of their last 8. They face a Buccaneers team at Tampa Bay, and in spite of what their playoff record suggests (1-8), they have played better on the road this season than they have at home. Tampa Bay has the advantage in the turn-over ratio, allow only 11 points at home, and have allowed teams to enter the redzone the fewest of all teams this season. The Giants have also given the ball away the most times last month, rank 21st in the NFL in pass offense while Tampa ranks 2nd in pass defense. It looks like this will be a very close game, but I am going to go with the Giants in a nail biter victory

Giants 31-28

Washington at Seattle
I am taking the Seahawks at home in a relatively low-scoring game

Seahawks 21-17

These are my picks. Some of these I didn't provide any player or team analysis as these are teams I do not know too much about and I am looking at their season record (which I admit is not very wise, but forgive me for not really knowing the whole bit with the spread. I don't gamble, so don't flame me for that. So I don't know the whole deal with the spread, so I guess that makes me uneducated and ill-informed sarcastic .) They're based on my opinion of each team and are really not biased (If I was biased, I would be picking my Steelers to win 34-13  Wink)

Other opinions are welcome!!
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

L-188

RE: NFL Playoff Thread: Wildcard Weekend

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:30 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Thread starter):
Washington at Seattle
I am taking the Seahawks at home in a relatively low-scoring game

Seahawks 21-17

Go Seahawks!!!!

It was pretty clear that after the 1st quarter of last weeks game, they used it as a training sesion for their backups rather then a full game.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Mir

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 am

David Garrard is perhaps the most underrated quarterback in the game, and the Jaguars can definitely shut the Steelers down, but they also have a tendency to not show up in the big games, so I'm still nervous with this one. Hope they can pull it off.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

dragon-wings

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:40 am

Even thought the Giants lost the last game of the season against the Pats I am hoping they keep that offense momentum going. If they play at the same level they did in the Pats game they will win a few playoff games.

The Giants have finished out the season with a hot streak, winning 7 of their last 8. They face a Buccaneers team at Tampa Bay, and in spite of what their playoff record suggests (1-8), they have played better on the road this season than they have at home.

The Giants are 7 and 1 on the road.  Smile
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 2):
David Garrard is perhaps the most underrated quarterback in the game, and the Jaguars can definitely shut the Steelers down, but they also have a tendency to not show up in the big games, so I'm still nervous with this one. Hope they can pull it off.

The Jags have the tendancy to not show up? The Steelers invented that one!!!

Definitely not one of their proudest accomplishments by any means!  Wink
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Duff44

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:29 am

My predictions:

Seahawks 27 Redskins 21
The 'Skins play hard in the memory of Sean Taylor, but can't overcome Seattle's passing attack.

Jaguars 31 Steelers 24
Jaguars stop the run (what the Steelers have left, anyway) and make Big Ben try to beat them... not happening.

Giants 34 Buccaneers 20
Red-hot Giants, who are strong on the road,

Chargers 34 Titans 13
The Titans simply cannot put up enough points to hang with the Chargers and LT.

For the record, the 2nd round games using these results would be:

Chargers at Colts
Jaguars at Patriots

Seahawks at Packers
Giants at Cowboys
I'll rassle ya for a bowl of bacon!

dragon-wings

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 5):
and LT

Everytime someone mentions or says LT in a NFL conversation I always think of Lawrence Taylor.

L-188

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:41 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 6):
and LT

Everytime someone mentions or says LT in a NFL conversation I always think of Lawrence Taylor

Agreed there is only one LT.

ORFflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:33 pm

Steelers over the Jags - the Jags are on a roll, but I think playing in Pittsburgh is the deciding factor in this one.

Giants over the Bucs - I'd like to see it go the other way, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Chargers over the Titans - Because

The Titans simply cannot put up enough points to hang with the Chargers and LT.

Redskins over the Seahawks - This could be one of the best games of the day. I'm a Redskins fan, hence my pick.

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:20 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 8):
Steelers over the Jags - the Jags are on a roll, but I think playing in Pittsburgh is the deciding factor in this one.

I am still skeptical of my team, as what seems to be the theory of the past 6 years of the NFL, home field doens't mean anything in the Playoffs. Besides, of all the playoff teams, the Steelers are the weakest IMO. They started off strong, but peaked too early. People got hurt, which usually happens anyway in the NFL, and people either did not step up or just became stupid (I would have benched A. Smith indefinitely for his arrogant and ill-timed guarantee at New England)

New England, on the other hand... There is just no stopping this team. As much as I despise Bill Belichick, he is a damned good coach who knows how to win and can figure out ways to win. He sees right through the opposing teams.

Heck, I wonder if he worked for the CIA in the past...

Then again, this team seems to be slowing down a bit, but they have a first round bye to regroup. I hope the Pack can advance to the Super Bowl to shut this team down. Dallas may have a 13-3 record, but I think Favre wants it more, and I think the rest of the Pack wants it for Favre, similar reasons to why the Steelers won it in 2005/06. Bettis wanted it, and the team rallied around him and became red hot at the right time.

Falcon84

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 pm

We won't be watching this weekend.

Signed,

Cleveland  cry 
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:54 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):

Signed,

Cleveland

I take it you don't like Tennessee so much now, do ya?  Wink

Anyway mate, maybe next year will be better for your team. The Steelers' schedule for 2008 looks extremely tough. If they play next year like they did this season, they'll be 6-10 at best. I think your team should go down as this season's "most improved team" from 2006-2007.

Not very often does a Pittsburgh Steeler fan say this, but go Cleveland!  Smile

Tom in NO

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:02 pm

Steelers, Chargers, Bucs, and Seahawks this weekend.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 10):

Kind of a bummer we get jammed with Tennessee rather than getting to see the aerial game of the Browns.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

CO7e7

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:28 pm

Jaguars @ Stoolers ----> Jaguars 28-17

Titans @ Chargers ----> Chargers 34-10 (i really hope they get killed by SD)

Redskins @ Seahawks ----> Redskins 27-14

Giants @ Buccs. ----> Giants 21-10

At the end of the day, all i want is for the Colts and Titans to get their stupid asses kicked !

GO BROWNS!!! (even though they're out of the postseason)

LTU932

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:51 pm

Jaguars vs Steelers - 28-14 (the Steelers, despite injuries, have been slacking off during the last games of the regular season, they need their killerinstinct back if they want to get another Superbowl ring)

Titans vs Chargers - 13-35 (their bad start became the kick in the ass they needed and now, if they can keep it up, great things may be in store for them)

Redskins vs Seahawks - 31-28 in Overtime (something tells me that this game will be the closest of them all)

Giants vs Buccaneers - 10-24 (Eli isn't a leader, just look at how he managed to lose their lead against New England after halftime last week and even lose the slightest of chances by wasting valuable time after the two minute warning. Either Eli starts learning, or the Giants will once again leave the playoffs after the Wildcard round)
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:14 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 12):
Steelers, Chargers, Bucs, and Seahawks this weekend.

I take it these are your picks for this weekend? Nobody seems to be picking the Steelers to win against Jacksonville; hell even I am not taking them, and I am a die-hard fan! The Steelers just picked the worst time to crap out and play at not even a quarter of their potential!!!

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 13):
Stoolers

You must be related to someone named "CLErocks..."  Wink

Falcon84

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 11):
Anyway mate, maybe next year will be better for your team. The Steelers' schedule for 2008 looks extremely tough.

Here's the Browns home schedule: some damn good games next year:

HOME: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants.

I'd be shocked if they were 7-1 against next year on home turf.
Work Right, Fly Hard

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:36 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):

HOME: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Pittsburgh Steelers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants.

Your team's schedule really isn't a whole lot better. The Colts and Cowboys will be tough. I am not so sure about my Steelers. They can only be tough if they can fix the train wreck they've become this season. To start 6-2 only to finish out the season 10-6, including losses in 2 of the last 3 games, including the finale, to me is called a train wreck. After tomorrow the Steelers won't have to bother packing anything for Foxborough, unless they can get tickets in the nosebleed section, because that's the only reason why they'd go...

I see Cleveland sweeping the Bengals and Ravens. I think Houston, Denver and New York are all beatable as well, as well as the Steelers on the road. The Colts and Boys will be tough though. There is 6-2 right there for a home record. I think it's very doable!  Smile

dragon-wings

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:02 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 17):
I think Houston, Denver and New York are all beatable as well

You can't really say that now. If those teams are the same next year then you could say that. But you should wait to see who the teams trade, sign, and draft before saying they will be beatable.

yooyoo

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:13 pm

My lock of the week!!....

Tampa by 6
take that to the bank.  Wink
I am so smart, i am so smart... S-M-R-T... i mean S-M-A-R-T

steeler83
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:21 pm

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 18):
But you should wait to see who the teams trade, sign, and draft before saying they will be beatable.

You know, that is very true. Case en point, the 2003 Steelers. They went 6-10 that season, drafted Big Ben during the off season, and the rest is history.

Fair enough, I will hold off on that for now. I am just getting excited for next year because after Saturday, my team will be toast and that will be all they have to look forward to.

The Browns should sign on some folks to improve their secondary. They have a pretty good receiving package. Their special teams looks pretty solid. They should get another player like Josh Cribbs, capable of doing what he does.

While we're at it, my Steelers should really do the same. I think they should get rid of Anthony Smith. That blagard brings nothing to the team but misery. They need better special teams players, folks who actually know how to hold on to the ball and not fumble it, as well as tackle. We were severely banged up this year, and their replacements had about as much energy as a sloth...

I think Romeo Crennel has proven to be a good fit for this team since Butch Davis left. You know who else started out with 3 losing seasons before pocketing a playoff worthy season? Chuck Knoll. Need I continue??? I think Cleveland will make the proper drafts to move them forward after this year. They have some terrific players there already including Anderson, Winslow, Cribbs, etc...

I realize the Browns didn't make the playoffs, but their performance this year has been playoff worthy nonetheless...

dragon-wings

Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:04 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 20):
I realize the Browns didn't make the playoffs, but their performance this year has been playoff worthy nonetheless...

I agree. I would of liked to see the Browns playing in the playoffs instead of the Titans.

steeler83
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:46 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 21):
I would of liked to see the Browns playing in the playoffs instead of the Titans.

Next year should be interesting for the Browns  Smile

threeifbyair

Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:44 am

Seahawks 21-17

Seahawks 27 Redskins 21

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 13):
Redskins @ Seahawks ----> Redskins 27-14

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 14):
Redskins vs Seahawks - 31-28 in Overtime

I'll venture another guess: 35-31 Hawks, with a last second Redskins rally failing. Two weeks ago, I was hoping to play Washington instead of Minnesota or New Orleans. Not anymore - this will be a good one.

A Seattle win sets up a playoff rematch at Lambeau with Green Bay, the site of a rather painful Seahawks memory from 2004: Al Harris' infamous overtime INT return for a TD, after Hasselbeck says "We want the ball, and we're going to score."

steeler83
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Quoting ThreeIfByAir (Reply 23):
I'll venture another guess: 35-31 Hawks, with a last second Redskins rally failing. Two weeks ago, I was hoping to play Washington instead of Minnesota or New Orleans. Not anymore - this will be a good one.

A Seattle win sets up a playoff rematch at Lambeau with Green Bay, the site of a rather painful Seahawks memory from 2004: Al Harris' infamous overtime INT return for a TD, after Hasselbeck says "We want the ball, and we're going to score."

I think Seattle can do it!  Smile

I am not sure about Green Bay though. They have a bit of a hot streak going that lasted all season!

MSYtristar

Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Seahawks.

Take it to the collection agency!

[Edited 2008-01-05 10:19:06]

steeler83
Topic Author

Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:35 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 25):
Giants, Steelers, Chargers, Seahawks.

Eh, I suppose they can jump start some kind of hot streak in the playoffs, but it's going to take some really extreme gameplay to get another big super bowl run going. They've gotten past the top 2 seeds in 2005, including the Colts, but they have New England once they beat, if they beat, Jacksonville...

Maybe they will pull off a win against Jacksonville. History is on the Steeler's side, but Jacksonville is not your average team either...

Duff44

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:23 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 26):
but they have New England once they beat, if they beat, Jacksonville...

For the record, if Tennessee beats San Diego, then the Titans go to New England and the PIT/JAX winner would go to Indy.

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):

The Patriots opponents for 2008:
Home: Buffalo, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Denver, Kansas City, Arizona, St. Louis, Pittsburgh
Away: Buffalo, Miami, N.Y. Jets, Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Indianapolis

FOUR trips to the West Coast, and three 2007 division winners on the road (SD, SEA, IND)... yikes.

Mir

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Redskins look like they're starting to fall apart. It's still only 7-0 Seattle, but it might be over pretty soon.

-Mir

Queso

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:43 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 28):
Redskins look like they're starting to fall apart. It's still only 7-0 Seattle, but it might be over pretty soon.

Yep. 'Skins choked, congrats 'Hawks!

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:49 am

Well, looks like Seattle is about to wrap up Round 1 here over Washington.
28-14 at the 2 minute warning.

I hope my Giants win over Tampa tomorrow. Tampa may have a better seed, but that's because Tampa was the division winnter while the Giants are in the wild-card spot. The Giants still had a better record in the regular season, and a far better record on the road to boot. i just hope the same Giants that showed up to play New England last week show up tomorrow as well.   (Minus 4th Quarter Eli Manning)

EDIT: Looks like we'll have a lot of happy a.netters from the SEA area.

[Edited 2008-01-05 16:57:56]
"Let's Roll"- Todd Beamer, United Airlines Flight 93, Sept. 11, 2001

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:06 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 27):
For the record, if Tennessee beats San Diego, then the Titans go to New England and the PIT/JAX winner would go to Indy.

I thought the lower seed -- oh wait a minute, you're right... The 4th/5th seed does go on the face the no2 seed (IND), while the 3rd/6th seed faces number one (NE). I got my wires crossed... my bad!!
EDIT -- update

Steelers are actually up 7-0 already. Ben completed 5 of 6 for 60 yards on that drive, Davenport has 11 yards and the first TD. Go Steelers!! Even though I have reasonable doubts!!  Smile

[Edited 2008-01-05 17:27:06]

L-188

Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 30):
Well, looks like Seattle is about to wrap up Round 1 here over Washington.
28-14 at the 2 minute warning.

And was shortly 35-14 Seahawks.

The Redskins seasons is as dead as Sean Taylor.

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:02 am

Well I spoke too soon... Just after scoring, the yutzes gave up a 96 yard kick return leading to a 1 yd rugh into the endzone... and on 3rd and 8 just now, some useless jerk on the so-called talented o-line allowed Ben to be sacked 10 yards... ON 3 and 8!! Are the Steelers ever going to learn? Again I ask, what the bloody hell is wrong with this team? This is not a playoff team. They really have to wisen up next year or the only place they'll be considered anything worth watching will be the circus!

They have talent on that team, now PLAY like it for Pete's sake!!!

My game plan: keep the ball the hell away from Mathis!! He is a demon and will destroy you!!!! Santonio Holmes, it looks like you don't get the ball tonight!!

R. Mathis just intercepted Big Ben and returned it for a TD. Quel surprise!!! God, will the ever learn?  pray 

[Edited 2008-01-05 18:10:41]

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 33):
R. Mathis just intercepted Big Ben and returned it for a TD.

Only thing better than an interception is another interception on the next series! Yeah, no TD on the second one, but I'll take it.   

EDIT: Interception pays off with a TD pass to Jones-Drew. 21-7 Jaguars.

-Mir

[Edited 2008-01-05 18:22:35]

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:21 am

Let's see what is wrong with my team here...

Offensive line sucks!! THey keep allowing sacks and force Ben into costly bad throws and don't allow any running room.

Defense... eh, I guess is ok. They looked pretty good on the latest JAX possession.

Special teams, you allowed a kick return for 96 yards and have been sucky to ultra-sucky all season long!

Play calling. You know how dangerous Rashaan Mathis is on the Jags defense, so why keep passing the ball off to Holmes? Sacrafice Holmes, which will take Mathis out of the game! Helloooo!!! NE had to do similar tacticks when opposing defenses gave R Moss a hard time, another reason why they're 16-0. New England isn't stupid. The Pittsburgh Steelers aren't using their heads or logic which I know they have

I know I am very hateful towards my team right now, but this team has a hell of a lot of talent and brains and not using them half of the time! How would you feel if you were a Patriots fan and saw them crash and burn when the playoffs were approaching?

Well that's how I feel about my Steelers... Considering that they're now behind, that doesn't surprise me at all. The Steelers are, and have been, nothing but full of hot air for the past month. They need to grow the hell up!

Faneca, it's time for you to leave town and become a burden to another team. Good bloody riddance...

It's probably for the best that the Steelers' trainwreck of a season can finally end.

Good job Jacksonville for beating an immature team! Good luck against Indianapolis next week!

Yes, that's right, I called their season a trainwreck. They started out strong but then pissed it all away and got lazy when they SHOULD HAVE gotten stronger!!!!

I think these are all good reasons to be angry with the performance, or lack thereof, of this team...

[Edited 2008-01-05 18:26:23]

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:32 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 34):
EDIT: Interception pays off with a TD pass to Jones-Drew. 21-7 Jaguars.

Just so you know, I tip my hat to the Jaguars. They are what the ACTUAL steelers should be! That is what I am so bloody pissed about! They are pretty much playing a team identicle to them; it's as if they're looking at themselves in a mirror.

Pittsburgh is just LAZY!!

Next year is not going to be fun AT ALL!!! They will be headed for the basement if they don't change anything. They really need to play 110 times better than they played this season. If I were Big Ben, I would be having it out with the linemen if I were him...

They better make some serious changes in the half, otherwise, they deserve every bit to lose to this team. May Jacksonville again have all the best! Good luck! I usually don't root for teams that beat mine, but Jacksonville is one worth rooting for!

EDIT:

I can't believe that Mike Tomlin is actually happy with where his team is at. If I were him I would be threatening to remove tons of players for not playing up to their potential. If Alan Faneca wants his "sweetheart contract" well tough. You had a strong start in the beginning, but in the past month you're a big reason why Big Ben has been sacked over 40 times this season... He was sacked FOUR TIMES ALREADY, and this team is in the playoffs???

People who think that Pittsburgh doesn't belong there? Well I actually agree with you, which is very very sad...

[Edited 2008-01-05 18:37:56]

AirframeAS

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:36 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):

Wow, you are pretty angry tonight! I've never seen you this angry....

Glad the Seahawks won today! GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Duff44

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:37 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 35):
Yes, that's right, I called their season a trainwreck. They started out strong but then pissed it all away and got lazy when they SHOULD HAVE gotten stronger!!!!

They have a slew of injuries, and teams have figured out that stuffing the run and making Big Ben beat you with his arm is usually a pretty good strategy.

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:44 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 38):
They have a slew of injuries,

Well that's true, injuries do happen, but you have to move on and not blame injuries for the lack of play, something else the Steelers have not done at all this season. We were able to do this in 2004 and 2005 and look what happened... Need I say more?

Quoting AirframeAS (Reply 37):
Wow, you are pretty angry tonight! I've never seen you this angry....

Think of it as you having a child capable of straight "A"s who actually amounts to below average performance. That's kinda how I feel right now. I am a die hard fan win or lose. I am still watching the game. For as angry as I am, it's no surprise. I bet on them losing big (not actual money), but when you have a team limp into the playoffs, your expectations go from very high at the beginning (of the season) to pretty much laughing at them (right now)...

This is Mike Tomlin's first playoff game of his first year ever as head coach. I would be embarrassed if I were him right now, but that's just me...

I said before, I know they're injured right now, but you can't let that beat you...

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:48 am

Pittsburgh got robbed on a bad call by the refs on an official review, but even after they make up for it with a nice pass play, then Ben puts it in the hands of the Jacksonville defensive line to end the half and what looked like a promising scoring drive.

But I'm not complaining.  Smile

-Mir

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:48 am

As lousy as Pittsburgh has been playing, they're lucky they're only down 14 points going into halftime. They're still in this game, even as the crowd boos them as the final seconds of the first half expire.

Queso

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:51 am

JAX is looking pretty damned good tonight, they want to win and they're playing like it!

Of course, I'm just watching the game to see the American Gladiators commercials. American Gladiators Is Back! (by Queso Jan 5 2008 in Non Aviation)  Big grin

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 36):
Pittsburgh is just LAZY!!

Sure looks like it. They gave up after JAX's first drive. It was just like "Oh, we're actually going to defend against them too? Well, in that case, forget it."

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:57 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 40):
Pittsburgh got robbed on a bad call by the refs on an official review, but even after they make up for it with a nice pass play, then Ben puts it in the hands of the Jacksonville defensive line to end the half and what looked like a promising scoring drive.

But I'm not complaining.

And why should you?  

I am happy they're playing the way they are. Jacksonville means business. Forget about refs, they're a 3rd party nobody has control over (I don't care how many times anti-Steelers out there like to argue this about Super Bowl XL!) Three interceptions in this game is unacceptable. Again, they need to make changes. If they go the status quo, the game might as well be over now...

Quoting FlyDeltaJets87 (Reply 41):
As lousy as Pittsburgh has been playing, they're lucky they're only down 14 points going into halftime. They're still in this game, even as the crowd boos them as the final seconds of the first half expire.

They're only in the game if they can make changes at the half, by especially using Holmes as more or less as a decoy to take Mathis out of the game, disquising their blitzes, picking up opposing blitzes better, open things up for Davenport to run through.

Parker is out, but it's not his sole responsibility to pick up yards. He can only run if he's given the room to do so, and that is up to the offensive line to do. They did a great job of this again in 2004 and 2005.

Oh, here's another example of attrition. The Super Bowl XL rematch. We had 4 key players out that game, and we handed Seattle's worst game of the season in a complete 21-el zilcho shutout. Players stepped up then, why not now when it matters?

I know I have been posting out of anger on here towards this team, but watching a team like Pittsburgh just fold like this is aggravating, unless if you're a JAX fan, and again, I congratulate Jacksonville for their play. Have they ever gone to the Super Bowl? They could very well do that this year. NE is another team that looks to be running out of gas, which should bring up the all important lesson: 16-0 and homefield don't mean jack!

[Edited 2008-01-05 19:03:00]

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:08 am

Garrard throws a very uncharacteristic interception early, but the defense steps up and makes sure the Steelers only get out of it with a field goal.

21-10 Jaguars

-Mir

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:21 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 44):
Garrard throws a very uncharacteristic interception early, but the defense steps up and makes sure the Steelers only get out of it with a field goal.

21-10 Jaguars

But then when the Defense starts to wisen up, someone has to do something stupid... I just saw that a sack was erased because of a stupid face mask penalty. I think another sack was erased because of a penalty in the first half as well. For every step forward, they take 3 back...

Maybe I am just pissed off because I wasn't able to watch the Steelers make history the way they did in the 1970s and that I kinda wish they could do that again. Super Bowl XL was something close to that, but I still want to see more. I guess I should just realize that they won't do that again ever. Perhaps just give up Steeler football for a while. Then I won't get so angry when they flop for whatever reason...

They keep saying that the Steelers are better than the team of the 1970s, but apparently there are dozens more teams that top them right now that they just can't compete with. They have to be able to compete next year, otherwise their season will be finished by October or early November...

FlyDeltaJets87

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:31 am

Holy Cow.

4th and 12 converted to a TD for PIT. Don't count Pittsburgh out yet folks.

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:33 am

Very nice touchdown pass for the Steelers on 4th down.

We're still ahead by 11 at the start of the 4th quarter, but it ain't over yet.

-Mir

steeler83
Topic Author

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:50 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 47):
Very nice touchdown pass for the Steelers on 4th down.

We're still ahead by 11 at the start of the 4th quarter, but it ain't over yet.

-Mir

That, and the one they made about 3 minutes ago.  Wink

No further comment!!!  shhh   shhh 

Mir

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:53 am

Damn, Steelers are on the move.

Impressive stop of the Jaguars, then an impressive drive for a touchdown. But then the two-point conversion is erased by a penalty.

28-23 now, and it's nail-biting time. Jaguars need a good offensive series to take back some of the momentum.

-Mir