Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bagpiper
Topic Author

Good Replacement For Windows Media Player / ITunes

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:29 am

Well, I'll admit, I'm going to be picky.

I want a player a lot like VLC, GOMPlayer, or KMPlayer, which can play almost any video file known to man. I would *like* something that can play streaming media files, so I can have a media server with all my music and video on it.

Most of all, I want something that has the same usage that iTunes and Windows Media Player have - something that when you open it, it shows a Library of your music. I don't want something where I have to abide by playlists or opening files via "file - open - browse" every time.

And, it needs to play VOB files (DVD files)

Ya, I'm picky. Hopefully there are a few of you out there who are just as picky as I am, and maybe you have some suggestions?

Maybe VLC or any of the players I listed have the functionality I want, but I just haven't seen it? And no - not winamp - it doesn't seem to play many media files without constantly downloading new codecs.

Thanks!

zak

RE: Good Replacement For Windows Media Player / IT

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:35 am

try http://smplayer.sourceforge.net/ , i is just the top player when it comes to functionality of interface and ability to play about everything.
it even saves the position where you last closed a file and resumes playback there!
also the subtitle and sound are adjustable versus the movie, this helps greatly with "backups" from the intarweb and subtitles from different sources etc.

[Edited 2008-01-03 22:35:50]
10=2

zippyjet

RE: Good Replacement For Windows Media Player / ITunes

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:06 am

http://reviews.cnet.com/4244-5_7-0.html?query=Winamp&tag=srch&target=

Check out C-Net, PC Magazine etc. They usually have very good reviews and insight. I always had good luck and sound quality with Win Amp. Best of luck to you.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

airlinelover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 2):
http://reviews.cnet.com/4244-5_7-0.html?query=Winamp&tag=srch&target=

Check out C-Net, PC Magazine etc. They usually have very good reviews and insight. I always had good luck and sound quality with Win Amp. Best of luck to you.

Quoting Bagpiper (Thread starter):
Maybe VLC or any of the players I listed have the functionality I want, but I just haven't seen it? And no - not winamp - it doesn't seem to play many media files without constantly downloading new codecs.

He said no to winamp..

As for what you are looking for, I think VLC DOES have everything except that library list that you want.. Try posting on their forums, they may do that too..
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

bagpiper
Topic Author

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:02 pm

Quoting Zak (Reply 1):

Doesn't have that library front end, that I can see.

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 3):
As for what you are looking for, I think VLC DOES have everything except that library list that you want.. Try posting on their forums, they may do that too..

I know! Thats the sad thing. IF they can get that library in there, maybe even the library with support for network streaming using the library, I would be happy. Heck, I'd even pay for that software.

Good idea to post on the forum...

GSM763

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:43 pm

www.songbirdnest.com - This seems to do what you want! Not totally sure about VOB but I think there should be an add on.

Enjoy!

N74JW

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:53 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 3):

I would go with VLC. It plays everything and it runs on every platform. We use it to play DVDs at work...
rm -r *