Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bablackpilot
Topic Author

Customer Service In America

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:13 pm

I can't speak for other countries but in America,

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO CUSTOMER SERVICE?

Why is it so hard to get simple, good and effective customer service anymore. It seems like everyone has the same damn attitude of "I don't need you, you need me." Why is it such a pain in the ass to get someone to provide "customer service"
Someone to go out of there way to assist you with a situation and get effective resolution
My arrogance is only an issue between you and your self-esteem!"

ORFflyer

RE: Customer Service In America

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:21 pm

Quoting Bablackpilot (Thread starter):

Excellent question. All of the retail service industry - be it fast-food, the Kmart's and Wilmart's of the world, convenience stores, etc. Nearly every damn one of them have the attitude you describe - "I don't need you, you need me" - which is of course bullshit.

Waffle House is a great example. They used to be as friendly as they come, but now it's just like going into a McDonalds.

They would all have a damn good job if it wasn't for us pesky customers.

767Lover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:32 pm

I recently took my business away from Public Storage for that very reason. The front desk people were consistently rude, and when I said, "You know, there are six other storage facilities within a mile from here" they said, "OK. Just give us 30 days notice to cancel your contract." No effort to rectify legitimate complaints about the place (having to do with security and thigs like that.)

In retail in general, I definitely have seen service decline in most of my daily interactions. I'm not even asking for much beyond a pleasant attitude. I have also had it "up to here" with cashiers who talk on the phone while they are ringing you up.

One reason for the lazy rude attitude is that there are more retail jobs available than there are people to take them. There are help wanted signs everywhere, every day, so the employer needs the employee and will be reticent to fire anyone.

dtwclipper

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:43 pm

You get what you pay for!

I'm very lucky and can afford to avoid the big box stores and shop predominately in specialty and local stores.

I pay more, and I know it, but it is still a pleasure to shop in these establishments.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Kay

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Sorry but I've been all over the world, there is no place on earth where customer service is as good as in the USA. Whether in restaurants, at shops, in banks or in hotels. Except for Taxis, the best customer service is offered in all sectors.

What are you guys talking about?... Juste fly to some countries in Europe.

Kay

dtwclipper

Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):

I'll let you know...I'll be in Vienna on 30.1!  Smile
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

WildcatYXU

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:10 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):

Especially east and north of Austria.

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 5):
I'll let you know...I'll be in Vienna on 30.1!

Try to go over to Bratislava and shop there. Nightmare.
223, 310, 319, 320, 321, 321N, 332, 333, 343, 345, 346, 732, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 763, 77E, 77L, 77W, 788, 789, AT4, AT7, BEH, C402, CR2, CRA, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH3, DH4, E45, E70, E75, E90, E95, F28, F50, F100, MD82, Saab 340, YAK40

LHMark

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:15 pm

I usually get excellent customer service. I accomplish this feat by not treating the person behind the desk as a machine. This is a harder sell in Europe, where they usually hate the customer. Still, a smile and a few words in the Lingua Franca goes a long way to getting people on your side.
"Sympathy is something that shouldn't be bestowed on the Yankees. Apparently it angers them." - Bob Feller

airlinelover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:22 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 2):
One reason for the lazy rude attitude is that there are more retail jobs available than there are people to take them. There are help wanted signs everywhere, every day, so the employer needs the employee and will be reticent to fire anyone.

Haha.. Where the heck are you???

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):

Sure. .Pay for a ticket for my wife and I and we'll come see how it is..
Lets do some sexy math. We add you, subtract your clothes, divide your legs and multiply

CupraIbiza

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Rome Italy a few years ago.
Mrs C. wanted to go shopping of course.
We entered a small clothing shop.
It was empty?
We walked around and discovered the sales assistant on the floor behind the counter painting her toenails.
The sales assistant saw us
Didnt get up, say anything or even acknowledge our prescence.
I walked straight out
Everyday is a gift…… but why does it have to be a pair of socks?

ltbewr

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:32 pm

In December, I worked as a Christmas temp for a major USA department store so I can comment on this issue first hand.
Those that do customer service in retail business in the USA and are the face contact with the customer often are paid low wages and without benefits. This is to hold down operational costs of such businesses. This hurts who you attract to work in such jobs and thus you end up with less 'professional' persons. Many business also tend to hold down the number of employees to hold down those costs so there are fewer people to serve customers. That means some customers don't get the attention they need just to keep the flow going. Then you have many such jobs that used to be held by women for generations and over the last 30 years have more opportunities for better paying jobs also hurting the pool of available quality workers. Many employees also never learned about good customer service either. Even tips for CS like in taxicabs and resturants are not enough to make up poor base pay and many are not tipping like they should to hold down their expenses.
Many businesses don't make it easy to serve the customer either. They are told at McDonalds to get the customer out in less than 90 seconds. Many stores have tight inventories so won't have have in stock, even in a back storeroom the items customers may want or have advertised. Airlines CSA's have more demands on them and as the only human a passanger they can face with their problems.
I would also blame customers themselves too. Often they want the CSA to give them 'special deals', use out of date or inelegable coupons, to whip out of thin air the exact item they want. Some will change price tags or otherwise engage in fraud that puts the customer service person in a bad position. A small but growing number of customers are abusive to customer service staff in an attempt to get their way or in vetting their frustrations of a store not serving them like years ago.

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:53 pm

I have spent quite a while last years on an outstation and have been living in an actually very good hotel (the Steigenberger at FRA airport). During this time I noticed something:
My colleagues and myself were "bluue collar blokes" working usually night shift. We came back to the hotel early morning and had our "supper" in the breakfast room, usually still wearing overalls. We treated the serving girls politely, chatted with them (even a bit of flirting), tried to disrupt their work as little as possible and, guess what, we had a great service. After a few days each knew our names, what we liked to drink etc..
The same went for the reception staff.
Ok, the noticed that we were neither tourists on vacations nor executive types used to have every whim taken care off. We cleaned up after ourselves and sorted out small problems by ourselves.

On the other hand I have been observing especially the group of executive business travellers. They demanded instant obedience, the waitress to jump at their order. Then you had the typical tourists, who clearly let it show that it was their time off, coming to the breakfast room wearing track suits and flip flops, and that they expected servile staff again to run for them, in both cases without a "thank you".

I personally like to have people I deal with businesswise be friendly and professional, but I hate them to be servile bootlickers (my attitude is BTW quite common in Germany, this is one reason why Wal*Mart never succeeded with their baggers etc.).

I can say that, though our own behaviour, us blue collar guys in overalls, with tools sticking out off our pockets (and often mistaken by other guests as janitors) received a better service than the rich guys in their business suits an neckties with their lodish manners.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

mt99

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:05 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 3):
You get what you pay for!

If you want excellent costumer service shop Nordstrom. I saw a very nice jacket at one of their stores, but the did not have the right size. The guy looked it up and found the one i wanted at a different store. He said he could have it shipped for me. I declined the offer as there is no-one home to receive packages and i try not to have stuff delivered at work. He asked me were i lived - then he said that he lives about 2 miles for me and his roommate works at the other store. He said he could have his roommate bring the jacket home, and he could deliver it to my house whenever it was convenient! All this for a $50 jacket!

Then again, Nordstrom is famous for taking back anything (used, destroyed) even stuff that they do not sell!
Step into my office, baby

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Starbucks and Apple Store still have some outstanding customer service. I'm hard pressed to think of anywhere else, though, that has real customer SERVICE.
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Klaus

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:34 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 11):
I personally like to have people I deal with businesswise be friendly and professional, but I hate them to be servile bootlickers (my attitude is BTW quite common in Germany, this is one reason why Wal*Mart never succeeded with their baggers etc.).

checkmark 

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 11):
I can say that, though our own behaviour, us blue collar guys in overalls, with tools sticking out off our pockets (and often mistaken by other guests as janitors) received a better service than the rich guys in their business suits an neckties with their lodish manners.

"Even" with suit & tie my experiences were generally the same: Treat the people providing a service for you politely and respectfully and you'll generally get the same treatment in return.

So far that "even" worked with public servants for me, and considering their reputation in Germany that's saying something.

2H4

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:40 pm

Quoting Bablackpilot (Thread starter):

The vast, vast majority of the US population has voted with their wallets - they want the lowest possible price on every product and service, no matter what has to be sacrificed to get it.

It really is as simple as that.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:47 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):
The vast, vast majority of the US population has voted with their wallets - they want the lowest possible price on every product and service, no matter what has to be sacrificed to get it.

But they still want the customer service they are used to to go with it. I see this every day at the LCCairline I work for. The customers want to pay Euro 19.99 for a round trip to the mediterranean, but want to be treated as if they were flying Raffles class on SQ.

Jan

2H4

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:54 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 16):
But they still want the customer service they are used to to go with it.

I agree....they want that customer service, and they'll complain all day long when they don't receive it, but when it comes time to swipe that card, the vast, vast majority will still go with the lower-priced option. While continuing to complain.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

gunsontheroof

Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:58 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 1):
All of the retail service industry - be it fast-food, the Kmart's and Wilmart's of the world, convenience stores, etc. Nearly every damn one of them have the attitude you describe - "I don't need you, you need me" - which is of course bullshit.

Given your age and occupation as listed in your profile, I seriously doubt you've ever worked corporate retail in contemporary America. It doesn't do much for the attitude or personal morale.

When I was working in corporate retail, I was quite honestly one of the friendliest and most helpful cashiers/clerks you could ever hope to come across, but I can assure you, putting on a smile for and wishing a nice day some of the rude/demanding/insulting/pompous/racist douchebags that I encountered during my years in retail just because ____ inc. cares more about sales than employee morale really sucks away at your sense of individualism and even your sense of humanity. I hated every minute of working those jobs, but I didn't have a choice at the time. I can assure you that most of the "rude" customer service people you've come across are in the same boat. Retail blows. I feel fortunate to work at a job now where I'm free to treat people exactly as they treat me, just as I would any time off the clock.

Quoting LHMARK (Reply 7):
I accomplish this feat by not treating the person behind the desk as a machine.

That was always appreciated. Customers who treated me like another human being rather than some retail automaton put on the sales floor to kiss their ass and cater to their every whim always got me to go an extra mile if necessary.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

ORFflyer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:12 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 18):
Given your age and occupation as listed in your profile, I seriously doubt you've ever worked corporate retail in contemporary America. It doesn't do much for the attitude or personal morale.

Negative ghost-rider - I did several stints in the retail world, including a 7-11 clerk, bag-boy at the grocery, and in food-service.

I am one of the friendly customers that some have described in this thread, and will remain that way. And there are certainly friendly, and service oriented employees out there, but they seem to be in the minority these days versus the teen-age-I'm-right-you're-wrong-you-owe-me-the-world attitude of today's younger population.

And I'm not singling out the teenagers either. The training these folks receive before they are thrust behind the cash register is abysmal. Managers typically get bonus money based on cost of providing the service against net income. They will not put enough staff on the clock to handle the clientele, they will not ensure little Reggie Retailer is competent to run the register, and they really don't care if you shop elsewhere as long as they get their "hours" sitting behind the counter ignoring your reason for being there.

PAHS200

Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:25 pm

When I was in Germany I found customer service to be the best, everyone I met seemed to be nice

In the USA I find it very mixed. I live in a small town so people are nice and very helpful, but if I travel 30 miles to a major city I find the service to be quite bad. so in those 30 miles moods really change

767Lover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:15 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):

But they still want the customer service they are used to to go with it. I see this every day at the LCCairline I work for. The customers want to pay Euro 19.99 for a round trip to the mediterranean, but want to be treated as if they were flying Raffles class on SQ.

I don't see how it costs any more to smile at the customer and speak in an audible, polite tone.

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 18):
When I was working in corporate retail, I was quite honestly one of the friendliest and most helpful cashiers/clerks you could ever hope to come across, but I can assure you, putting on a smile for and wishing a nice day some of the rude/demanding/insulting/pompous/racist douchebags that I encountered during my years in retail just because ____ inc. cares more about sales than employee morale really sucks away at your sense of individualism and even your sense of humanity.

Putting on a smile and being helpful is part of the job. People who take the job need to either suck it up and do the job correctly or not do it. (I know you said you were always polite, I'm not directing this at you). It's called maturity and professionalism. Do you think I enjoy dealing with some of the people I deal with at my job? No, but I do it because it's my job to put up with it.

Just recently, I gave an unsolicited compliment to the pharmacy cashier at my local Costco. I noticed that the long lime of customers in front of me each had something to bitch about, and yet she was very pleasant, helpful and gracious to each of them (and I have consistently seen this positive attitude from her.) So I said to her, "You are such a pleasant person to interact with." She said, "Well thank you, but that's what I'm here for."

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:24 pm

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 21):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 15):

I don't see how it costs any more to smile at the customer and speak in an audible, polite tone.

Well, I can't disclose who I work for, but I have seen the pressure the staff, who directly face the customers, in our case the F/A's are facing from the company. The philosophy is to wear the F/A's out, squeeze the maximum profit out off them, with minimum training (just the minimum law requires), and drop them when they are burnt out, which usually happens after one to two years (they have a very high turnover).
Usually when they start they are very enthusiastic, but after latest 6 months they just want to get on with the job, pay off their training debts (they are bonded for one year) and leave.
I don't think that this airline is the only company working like this.

Jan

2H4

Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:40 pm

Putting on a smile and being helpful is part of the job. People who take the job need to either suck it up and do the job correctly or not do it.

Well, like it or not, you just can't mandate enthusiasm.

You can provide employees with livable wages and reasonable benefits to generate positive attitudes and a healthy work ethic, but that costs money.

Without those livable wages and reasonable benefits, a business will see a continuous cycle of unmotivated employees with little enthusiasm for their job. These employees can be fired, but who do you think will replace them? Employees just like them.

Ultimately, employees in these kinds of environments will produce just enough quality work to not get fired, because very little motivation exists to go above and beyond that level of effort.

When the vast majority of customers start voting for customer service with their wallets instead of their complaining, things will change. Until then, very little will change.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

pacificjourney

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:10 pm

Quoting Kay (Reply 4):
there is no place on earth where customer service is as good as in the USA.

Get serious and try Japan !

To answer the original question though and this applies especially to retail - we get what we pay for. If we're hunting for a bargin then that includes the wages paid and the quality of the person doing the serving.

I find small specialised shops as good as ever and larger big box retail pretty hopeless, no surprises in any of this.
" Help, help ... I'm being oppressed ... "

seb146

Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:32 pm

Quoting IFEMaster (Reply 13):
Starbucks and Apple Store still have some outstanding customer service

Are you kidding? The ones in the PDX area are HORRIBLE! I went to an Apple store with my brother's iPod. It was having connection problems. I tried to get someone to help me for about 15 minutes, but they were busy playing on the computers. Two people even walked by me in order to serve someone else who had just walked through the door! WTF??!?!? When someone finaly did "help" me, they grabbed a cable off the rack and said "you need this." and that was it. It wasn't even a holiday or weekend!

I have quit buying from Starbucks because they are drones and sell the same tasteless swill and forcing everyone else to drink it. They bought out a great chain in PDX so they would have less competition. Coffee People offered "good coffee, no backtalk." I knew the end was near when they stared ignoring the customers and focusing on getting them in and out in a hurry. Like Starbucks. They just want to hand you your hot brown swill and get you the hell out of there. No chit-chat (except things like "you want to buy XYZ promotion?") no silly comments, no "answer the trivia question and get your next drink free" or anything that would point to anyone in upper management being human.

I try my best to shop local so I can deal with humans, even if they have a bit of an attitude. Even that is better than "blah."
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

IFEMaster

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:00 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 25):
Are you kidding? The ones in the PDX area are HORRIBLE! I went to an Apple store with my brother's iPod. It was having connection problems. I tried to get someone to help me for about 15 minutes, but they were busy playing on the computers. Two people even walked by me in order to serve someone else who had just walked through the door! WTF??!?!? When someone finaly did "help" me, they grabbed a cable off the rack and said "you need this." and that was it. It wasn't even a holiday or weekend!

I have quit buying from Starbucks because they are drones and sell the same tasteless swill and forcing everyone else to drink it. They bought out a great chain in PDX so they would have less competition. Coffee People offered "good coffee, no backtalk." I knew the end was near when they stared ignoring the customers and focusing on getting them in and out in a hurry. Like Starbucks. They just want to hand you your hot brown swill and get you the hell out of there. No chit-chat (except things like "you want to buy XYZ promotion?") no silly comments, no "answer the trivia question and get your next drink free" or anything that would point to anyone in upper management being human.

I'm sorry to hear your experiences haven't been pleasant. My experiences have been consistently the opposite; friendly, personal, efficient etc. As for the 'upper management' at Starbucks remark...I'll reserve comment, as several personal friends of mine are upper management at Starbucks  Smile
Delivering Anecdotes of Dubious Relevance Since 1978

Kay

Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 8):
Sure. .Pay for a ticket for my wife and I and we'll come see how it is..

glad to oblige: Confirmation Ref Number (STP-4-13-25-27-21) (by Kay Dec 10 2007 in Non Aviation)

Big grin Big grin

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 5):
I'll let you know...I'll be in Vienna on 30.1!

Enjoy! You need to choose a warmer time to come though!

Quoting Pacificjourney (Reply 24):
Get serious and try Japan !

Haven't been there, but I won't believe it'd beat the USA until I see it.

Kay

Jetsgo

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:05 pm

I think it has a lot to do with how much the employees are being paid. This is the biggest motivation for people in this line of work. For example, go to your average Wendy's or Burger King and they aren't making much more then minimum. Go to In-N-Out, and we have a STARTING wage of $10.00 an hour. Not to mention what you can make after a few years there.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):

I believe you can. It just requires some sort of motivation other then useless posters and meetings. Make the employees want to work for you. Make them want to do a good job. It can be done. Sure, it will cost money, but what will the return be in the long run? More customers? More sales?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

MD11Engineer

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:20 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 28):
I think it has a lot to do with how much the employees are being paid. This is the biggest motivation for people in this line of work. For example, go to your average Wendy's or Burger King and they aren't making much more then minimum.

It also doesn't help if management keeps on telling staff that they all are replaceable.

Jan

Jetsgo

Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:26 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 29):
It also doesn't help if management keeps on telling staff that they all are replaceable.

Sure it does. My manage reminds me of this weekly, of course in lighter terms, but it only makes me work harder. I don't want to be replaced after working hard for almost 4 years.

2H4

Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:02 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 28):
Quoting 2H4 (Reply 23):

I believe you can.

Well, and you hit the nail on the head. As you mention later in your post, producing enthusiasm costs time and money. Long-term benefits can indeed be realized, but not enough businesses are willing or able to make the initial investment.

You can produce enthusiasm by investing resources, but you can't mandate it. Rules alone just can't do it. That was my original point, but I wasn't completely clear.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

Jetsgo

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 31):
but you can't mandate it.

I believe it can be mandated in some sense. If it is a term of employment, those who care enough would be enthusiastic and those who don't would eventually be weeded out.

2H4

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:11 pm

Quoting JetsGo (Reply 32):

I believe it can be mandated in some sense. If it is a term of employment, those who care enough would be enthusiastic and those who don't would eventually be weeded out.

Weeded out and replaced with......what, exactly? Enthusiastic, motivated employees? Generally, people don't want jobs that lack livable wages and reasonable benefits. They settle for them. If an employee settles for the job in the first place, their level of motivation and enthusiasm isn't going to increase over time, it's going to decrease. It's a viscous cycle.

So long as the benefits and compensation are lacking, enthusiasm will erode, and there will be a distinct lack of quality applicants.

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

767Lover

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:19 pm

Quoting Airlinelover (Reply 8):
Quoting 767Lover (Reply 2):

Haha.. Where the heck are you???

Atlanta, Ga.

[Edited 2008-01-04 14:25:41]

Jetsgo

Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 33):
Enthusiastic, motivated employees?

Ultimately, yes.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 33):
Generally, people don't want jobs that lack livable wages and reasonable benefits.

Which takes us back to my first post. Pay the employees something they can live off. My girlfriend and I each make $13.50 an hour at In-N-Out, a fast food restaurant. We put a roof over our heads, food in our mouths, drive decent cars, and vacation once or twice a year. I'm almost positive other fast food joints could easily afford to pay their employees more and motivate them.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 33):
They settle for them.

Which is why you aim to have your employees want to work for you. Nobody should have to settle for a job.

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 33):
If an employee settles for the job in the first place, their level of motivation and enthusiasm isn't going to increase over time, it's going to decrease. It's a viscous cycle.

checkmark  Very, very true.

zippyjet

Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:39 am

Sadly it's a reflection of our society. I'm not condoning churlish behavior on the part of CSW or the public. But, when you have a bottom line is supreme mandate, corporate executives rake in the big bucks and treat their workers like third world Cooley's and the intrusion of those damn lawyers on day to day life and common sense one can see why road rage, snotty customer service, customers from hell are all the rule not the exception. Today, you can sued if you are a good Samaritan. You can't even give someone an aspirin if they have a headache on fear of some fucking lawyer and our joke of a legal system coming down on you and your company. Plus, todays kids are being raised to be losers by loser parents who should in many cases never spawned kids. Need I say more. And from what I hear the grass ain't greener outside the US of A. I hear in France and other countries things are also cluster fuck when it comes to getting anything done in a timely and courteous manner. There's my 2 cents. In 50 years or less we'll be shagging trophy robots, ordering online, working online and just interact with our pets who show us unconditional love. That's my answer folks; not that I necessarily agree with everything.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!