Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

Obama If DEM Nominee - Will Not Become President

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:26 pm

With polls saying Obama will win in N.H. analysts are touting him well on his way to winning the Democratic nomination. If he does win though, I don't see much of a chance of him winning the presidency mainly due to his lack of experience - he's only been in the senate 3 years. I fear like John Kerry in 2004 voters are making the wrong choice here. The GOP nominee will be either Guilani or McCain.

Hillary's experience makes her the best chance for a Democratic landslide in November. I just don't see how Obama can pull it off....

[Edited 2008-01-07 09:27:47]
"What good are wings without the courage to fly?" - Atticus

N74JW

RE: Obama If DEM Nominee - Will Not Become President

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:28 pm

People like Obama (I am not one of them). He is a good speaker, and some think he has not been in Washington long enough to be tainted by the political diseases there. A win by Obama would be the first time the wrong type was elected into the White House.
rm -r *

Stretch 8

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Barry Obama could win the general election if Huck is the GOP nominee.

Great to see Hillary's campaign imploding.
Maggs swings, it's a drive deep to left! The Tigers are going to the World Series!!!

Continental

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting Bmacleod (Thread starter):
due to his lack of experience - he's only been in the senate 3 years.

I hate how people make such a big deal out of this. He knows what he's talking about, he's not a child. I feel that he's fit to make decisions for this country if he were to become president.

N74JW

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm

Obama has not been getting the press scrutiny that Hilary has been receiving. I am not defending Hilary, but she has had a bulls-eye on her by the press for years. It seems like the press is giving Obama a free ride...
rm -r *

mt99

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:34 pm

Hillary's experience makes her the best chance for a Democratic landslide in November

She is WAY to polarizing. Her problem is that she can turn off independent voters, that will be a big chunk of the deciing votes. Cant you just picture her after she got 3rd place in Iowa? Can you picture her screaming? Exactly.

I don't see much of a chance of him winning the presidency mainly due to his lack of experience - he's only been in the senate 3 years

How long has Bush in Washington? Look what HIS experience had brought to the country!
Step into my office, baby

N1120A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:35 pm

Quoting Continental (Reply 3):

due to his lack of experience - he's only been in the senate 3 years.

I hate how people make such a big deal out of this

Completely agree. He was a state senator in Illinois from for 8 years before being elected to the US Senate. He was the president of the Harvard Law Review. He lectured in constitutional law for 11 years at the University of Chicago and spent his professional career in jobs that both shape and implement policy. He has as much experience as anyone.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Beaucaire

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:41 pm

For a European like me who has never really met either of the candidates personally and only seen their speeches on TV,he looks OK to me.
Hillary has been too long dealing with politics -that's to me her biggest liability.She could be connected to all kinds of lobbying deals that might not necessarily pop up in newspapers-and her last appearance in NH was anything than great. Obama seems more settled and experience à la Hillay can easily be compensated by surrounding Obama with a great team.I rather have an unspoilt greenhorn who s not tied to any affairs than a over-clever and aggressive female president who has no charisma at all.
Look at Schwarzenegger in California-he does a good job and had no major experience prior to his assignment.
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

Flighty

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:44 pm

Obama is special. I think Americans would vote for him because he is a real guy who performs exceptionally well on TV.

A nice resume isn't everything. Lots of people have a sterling resume, but they are not fit for office.

Obama is one of a kind. He also seems to be honest.

Television is so, so important. The US President is a television character. Look at the men and women on TV. Old men, young men, men who talk smoothly. And young women who are hot.

Obama could beat any Republican except McCain.

Obama vs Hillary is not even a contest anymore. Will the Bible Belt prefer Hillary? Hell no, they hate Hillary. Have we forgotten the 1990s already...

So Hillary would never win in a landslide. Too many people hate her. Secretly, openly, whatever. She is not popular. She is powerful. There is a difference. Men do not like powerful women. Women do not like being led by women, either. Obama beat Hillary among women in Iowa.

N1120A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 pm

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):
I think Americans would vote for him because he is a real guy who performs exceptionally well on TV.

This is what a lot of people seem to miss, especially the real person type. Obama is the only one who really comes across that way.

Quoting Flighty (Reply 8):

Obama could beat any Republican except McCain.

Obama would slaughter McCain. It doesn't really matter, seeing that McCain is not going to make it past the primary anyway.

AirCop

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:55 pm

I don't see much of a chance of him winning the presidency mainly due to his lack of experience -

Once again, experience in the senate is NOT a qualification for President of the US. The last president that was elected from the US Senate was JFK way back in 1960. Probably the best resume of any President in the 20th century belonged to George Bush the 1st. Very good in international affairs, but lacking on the domestic front, but the President has very little control over domestic affairs.

The GOP nominee will be either Guilani

I'm going out on a limb, and say that Rudy will not be the Republican nominee, but you're stated Obama has a lack of experience, what about this guy..

2H4

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:04 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 1):
A win by Obama would be the first time the wrong type was elected into the White House.

Could you elaborate on this statement, please?

2H4
Intentionally Left Blank

seb146

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:05 pm

Why do people keep bringing up history as a way of predicting the future? "The last senator to be elected was Kennedy..." which is true, but the times they have a changed. Thing are much different than they were in 1960. The one thing I can tell that is not different is Americans like a confident leader. Someone who sounds confidant. That is why, for the life of me, I could never figure out how Bush II won. I never watched the debates on TV and I don't plan to this time, either. IMO, Kerry sounded confident. Obama sounds confident. Edwards sounds confident. Hillary sounds like she is trying to get votes. Thompson sounds like he is on CSI. Guliani sounds like he is saying what he thinks he should say.

BTW, I took the presidential quiz to find which candidate I most closely I identify with: John Edwards, Joe Biden, and Dennis Kusinich were my top three.
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

MadameConcorde

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:09 pm

My idea is that Hillary will not be nominated or more the less elected because she is a woman.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

MadameConcorde

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:15 pm

I think Obama can win the election more so than Hillary.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

AirCop

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:20 pm

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 12):
Why do people keep bringing up history as a way of predicting the future?

Because history tends to repeat itself..

Quoting Seb146 (Reply 12):
I can tell that is not different is Americans like a confident leader. Someone who sounds confidant. That is why, for the life of me, I could never figure out how Bush II won.

Couldn't agree more, I want a leader of the American people not just someone that works to the benefit of corporations and I could care less from what party they are from. Someone that is confident in their abilities and decisions making skills. Hopefully someone with these skills with take over the White House in 378 days.

yowza

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:45 pm

I was not particularly convinced that Obama had what it took a few months ago. I have since revised my opinion. He seems very composed, particular about details, knowledgeable and calm. He is also consummately polite and seems friendly. All of which I think will serve him well in the long run. As for his lack of experience, that may not be a bad thing. His army of spin doctors seem to be using his inexperience as a "change in leadership style" which is clever and has the potential to propel him further.

Now whether the US voters are ready for a minority president is a whole different story.

YOWza

rwsea

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm

As others have said, Bush Jr. had no experience at the National level, and only a few years as Governor of Texas.

Unlike Bush, Obama actually sounds intelligent and coherent. He actually knows how to work with and inspire people. He won't be a national embarrasment.

I think the US is ready for a woman/minority president. This country has been moving backwards for the last 7 years with cowboy and good ol' boy politics. A woman/minority president would be a powerful symbol that the USA is sick of the same old same old. We're ready to be a progressive nation again and finally start moving towards the 21st century.

Obama has lots of experience to bring to the table, as discussed above by others. He's ready to be President.

slider

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
Completely agree. He was a state senator in Illinois from for 8 years before being elected to the US Senate. He was the president of the Harvard Law Review. He lectured in constitutional law for 11 years at the University of Chicago and spent his professional career in jobs that both shape and implement policy. He has as much experience as anyone.

Experience is overrated. We're better off scuttling Congress and picking 435 random names out of the white pages.

President? It's a dog and pony show. There are NO first raters even running.

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 13):
My idea is that Hillary will not be nominated or more the less elected because she is a woman.

I don't think it's because she's a woman, it's because she's the woman she is...a total incendiary shrill carpetbagging Marxist that turns people off.

I'd vote for Sarah Palin if she ever ran.

N74JW

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:08 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 11):
Could you elaborate on this statement, please?

Sure, that is actually a typo, there should be a 'not' in there as in:

A win by Obama would not be the first time the wrong type was elected into the White House.
rm -r *

ORFflyer

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm

I just don't see how Obama can pull it off....

I don't either.

Hillary's experience makes her the best chance for a Democratic landslide in November.

But didn't her showing in Iowa last week indicate otherwise?

NIKV69

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:22 pm

The Democrats have made the same mistake they made 4 years ago. They are trying anything to get into the white house and now their hopes are one some greenbean who is like a chatty cathy doll and all he can say is "change" over and over again. He voted against English as our official language and is now lying to everyone when he says he will pull out of Iraq if he is elected. As for his health care fantasy I doubt this country will ever have a system where more gets taken out of our paycheck so everyone can have substandard health care like Canada and the UK. When it comes right down to it the US will vote the same way they did in 04'. Our economy is not as bad as the leftwing media is scaring everyone into thinking and we need a leader because we are on the verge of confrontations in the middle east. Most notably Iran who is just itching to start something with us or Israel. Obama is not this leader.
90 Day Fiancé has taught me that Russian woman are excellent.

ME AVN FAN

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:32 pm

this topic leads to another question :
-
Will Hillary C., in case of finally arriving second place, be ready to accept the nomination for candidate for Vice President in the framework of an Obama-Clinton ticket ?

N74JW

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:34 pm

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):
Will Hillary C., in case of finally arriving second place, be ready to accept the nomination for candidate for Vice President in the framework of an Obama-Clinton ticket ?

I think yes. Hilary is proud, but not stupid. That would still make her the 1st lady v.p.
rm -r *

seansasLCY

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:36 pm

Hillary would be the best leader internationally, she already knows foreign leaders well and is respected by them and the international community. There are rumors of Michael Bloomberg running as an independent candidate. I think that would shake the race up and he would do very well.

N1120A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:39 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 16):

Now whether the US voters are ready for a minority president is a whole different story.

Remember that in the context of American thinking, Obama as an African is considered different from a traditional African-American. This actually sells him better to elements who still look at race as a personal trait.

Quoting Slider (Reply 18):
a total incendiary shrill carpetbagging Marxist that turns people off.

If she was anywhere near a Marxist, Hillary would have more support.

Quoting ME AVN FAN (Reply 22):

That wont happen. One, she wont want to play second (if that) fiddle to Obama, and two, I think one paradigm shift an election is all the American people are going to be able to swallow. Obama would be better suited to choose someone like Bill Richardson, John Edwards or maybe a prominent Congressional Democrat.

Longhornmaniac

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:40 pm

Quoting N74JW (Reply 19):
A win by Obama would not be the first time the wrong type was elected into the White House.

Ok, now could you elaborate more on what this means?  Wink What about him is the "wrong type?"

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

N74JW

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Quoting Longhornmaniac (Reply 26):
Ok, now could you elaborate more on what this means? Wink What about him is the "wrong type?"

Sure,

I am going to jump on the 'little experience' bandwagon. Despite the speeches and the posturing, he is still a politician trying to get elected. That means he is going to play a game in which the winner will use whatever tactics necessary to manipulate the media and public opinion for a vote. He is just as full of it as all of the other candidates. When you take away the above, what do you have?
rm -r *

yowza

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:56 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 21):
They are trying anything to get into the white house and now their hopes are one some greenbean who is like a chatty cathy doll and all he can say is "change" over and over again.

Repetition and rhetoric are part and parcel of politics. Have you ever heard Rudy Giuliani utter a sentence without 9/11 or terrorism in it?

He voted against English as our official language

There is no need to make it an official language. It is already the lingua franca, and the US being the epitome of capitalism should remain without an official language. Market demand will see that those that wish to be served in English receive this service, those that wish for Russian served in Russian etc. This has only be made a big issue so that republicans can subtly imply that "the Mexicans are taking over" and Obama is OK with that. When in fact he has expressed concerns about illegal immigration and aims to tackle in it in a similar fashion to some Republican candidates. Enforcing English is the not the only way to temper the Spanish influx.

lying to everyone when he says he will pull out of Iraq if he is elected

I doubt he means overnight.

As for his health care fantasy I doubt this country will ever have a system where more gets taken out of our paycheck so everyone can have substandard health care like Canada and the UK

Having lived in the UK for 7 years and being a Canadian citizen I have received nothing but excellent care in both countries. Have you ever lived in either country or are you just echoing what you've heard said elsewhere?

When it comes right down to it the US will vote the same way they did in 04'.

Time will tell. I hope you're wrong.

Our economy is not as bad as the leftwing media is scaring everyone into thinking

I think you will find that the bad economy is universally acknowledged by all sides in the US and many parties abroad.

we are on the verge of confrontations in the middle east.

And given that US troops are already spread thin surely diplomacy (Obama's purported approach) and not wild "Us vs Them" bravado is the way to go?

Most notably Iran who is just itching to start something with us or Israel.

Iran is a pest and nothing more. The west vs Iran is at a stalemate, one that can be preserved.

YOWza

57AZ

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 pm

My guess is that it will be Obama on the Dem ticket and possibly Huckabee on the Rep side. Guiliani will have to pull a rabbit out of his hat to have any chance for the nomination. Like others have said, McCain won't make it far in the primaries and Huckabee has been successful defending against Romney so far.
"When a man runs on railroads over half of his lifetime he is fit for nothing else-and at times he don't know that."

skyservice_330

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:00 pm

a chatty cathy doll and all he can say is "change" over and over again.

All politicians of all stripes do this. They have a key message that they want to drive home. All politicians are 'chatty cathy' dolls. They all want to talk to people and have their names and faces known.

everyone can have substandard health care like Canada and the UK

You must have had a pretty bad experience in a Canadian or UK hospital to declare that the health care is substandard. Can you share? However, your remark raises another interesting point- Is it better for society for everyone to have substandard health care or for a few to have really great health care, but that is for another thread. Who comes first, the collective and group or the individual?

the leftwing media is scaring

Irregardless of the slant of the medium, it doesn't change the fact that some people- economists, business leaders- are seriously concerned about the economy. Instead of simply blaming the media for 'scaring' people, consider what people are saying in relation to the economy, the arguments they are putting forth, and base your conclusion on your own reasoned response to their claims. Simply appealing to the argument that 'the economy isn't that bad, its just the evil liberal left wing communist media that is brainwashing the entire US' doesn't actually refute or challenge what people are saying.

N1120A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 28):

Having lived in the UK for 7 years and being a Canadian citizen I have received nothing but excellent care in both countries. Have you ever lived in either country or are you just echoing what you've heard said elsewhere?

He hasn't, and he is merely relying on the patently untrue scare tactics employed by the small group of very rich who have an interest in keeping the status quo.

Quoting SKYSERVICE_330 (Reply 30):
However, your remark raises another interesting point- Is it better for society for everyone to have substandard health care or for a few to have really great health care, but that is for another thread. Who comes first, the collective and group or the individual?

I don't think there is even an issue that goes this far. If anyone doubts that health care is top notch in any industrialized country, they are living in some sort of alternate dimension that consists of nothing but Fox News and Walmart.

CaptainJon

RE: Obama If DEM Nominee - Will Not Become Preside

Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:46 pm

If he does win though, I don't see much of a chance of him winning the presidency mainly due to his lack of experience - he's only been in the senate 3 years.

checkmark  checkmark  checkmark 

I 100% whole-heartedly agree. He talks an awful lot, but doesn't say ANYTHING what he will do other than saying CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE. I believe Hillary said she will do things rather than talk about it. I don't like Hillary all that much, but she will get my vote in the primary and in the general election.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

Why aren't they? Everyone's a minority in some manner. Whether it's belonging to a minority religion, minority economic class, having minority educational status, and so on. Hillary's in a minority gender group (in regard to politics). Giuliani's in a minority group with his accent and speech impediment. Mittens Romney is in the fashion minority with his bad hair. And Obama's in a minority racial group (whatever that means now-a-days). So what?
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

yowza

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:20 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 33):
Why aren't they? Everyone's a minority in some manner. Whether it's belonging to a minority religion, minority economic class, having minority educational status, and so on. Hillary's in a minority gender group (in regard to politics). Giuliani's in a minority group with his accent and speech impediment. Mittens Romney is in the fashion minority with his bad hair. And Obama's in a minority racial group (whatever that means now-a-days). So what?

Strike 1: He's "black" - like it or not (and I don't) this will come into play and will be a huge hurdle. I frankly don't think a lot of America is willing to put a black man into 1600 Penn Ave. Sad but I think true.

Strike 2: His name is "too foreign" sounding. I don't see the issue with it but a black guy named Tom Washington is not perceived in the same way as a black guy named Barack Obama, both by non-blacks and within the back community. Keep in mind that when CNN (and other outlets) covered US strikes on Sudan they repeatedly said it "this is of course Sudan the country, not Saddam" because of an influx of feedback related to Saddam. The leap from Sudan to Saddam is greater than Obama to Osama. Sad as it is but I think this is the size of the mountain he must climb.

Strike 3: Non-American father. While I see this as a positive, many will not.

These are just my 2c.

blrsea

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:28 pm

or for that matter, a woman.

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:29 pm

Quoting YOWza (Reply 34):
These are just my 2c.

I'm glad that's all you have invested. Because the three reasons you gave don't mean shit except to bigoted, small-minded southern yeehaws.
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

RayChuang

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:30 pm

Here's the problem for Senator Obama--he doesn't have real executive experience in the political world. Why do you think most of the recent Presidents from Carter till now were all former state governors? Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are all former governors, and the two leading Republican candidates (Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney) were also former state governors.

DLPMMM

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Everybody ignore the 500 pound elephant in the room.

The Democrats are once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The Republicans have almost nothing to offer with respect to worthy candidates, so the Democrats put up 2 leading candidates that are just about the only ones that the Republicans will be able to beat!

Obama will not win because there is a large contingent of racists in the Democrat party that will not vote for a black. This is not just in the south either. Harold Ford's failed bid for the Tenn. Senate seat is a good harbinger of things to come if Obama is nominated.

More than 43 percent of voters say they will not vote for Hillary no matter what. Hillary will also lose a significant amount of male Democrat voters who won't admit to their sexist opnions to poll takers.

Any of the other Democrat candidates would probably be able win the general election (except for Kucinich who is just nuts).

Sure, mentioning race and sexism might be tacky, but I think it is better to look at reality than to ignore it.

EvilForce

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I personally think Obama hasn't been subjected to the full scrutiny of the press corps and Republican attack machine. He hasn't been under fire yet. Having said that, I would vote for Obama over any Rep, other than Rudy G. who would get my vote. But I am afraid that the Dems are picking another John Kerry. They think Obama can win because he isn't hated.

We need someone COMPETENT to run the office of the Presidency after the abortion of the past 7+ years under Bushwacked.

On the flip side ole Huckabee hasn't had much of the press corp dig too far into his history and miraculous weight loss yet, nor the Democratic attack machine. When you nominate so early, you may end up picking candidates that implode 1/2 way to November.

But American's repeatedly pick guys they can go drink a beer with rather than someone competent, so we get what the idiotic electorate votes for. Thankfully that moron Edwards didn't win Iowa.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

checkraiser

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 pm

I have to agree with the OP that Obama has a snowball's chance in hell of winning - at best. But it's not for lack of experience, it's a race issue.

Obama winning the primary would be the best thing that could happen to the GOP. America WILL NOT elect a black president.

I'll even put my money where my mouth is. If BO is elected I will self-delete.  Smile
N1120A is a camel-fucking terrorist.

Pope

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Hillary's experience makes her the best chance for a Democratic landslide in November. I just don't see how Obama can pull it off....

What experience does HRC have? It seems to me that if we accept the argument that HRC is making, Laura Bush is as qualified to be President as Hillary is. The facts are that HRC was a witness to history not a participant of it. Furthermore, just how close she was to the President is a matter of big debate given that her husband was being blown by an intern in the Oval Office and HRC had no clue what was going on.

HRC has served one full term in the US Senate. Obama is on his first term. But to say that there's a huge difference between the two when it comes to experience seem ridiculous because the facts simply don't support it.

What I fundamentally don't understand is if Democrats want "CHANGE" then why even consider electing a Washington insider.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

yowza

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:38 pm

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 35):
or for that matter, a woman.

That's a whole other story too

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 36):
I'm glad that's all you have invested. Because the three reasons you gave don't mean shit except to bigoted, small-minded southern yeehaws.

Well yes and no.

Firstly, I don't think it's fair to write off the entire south as slack jawed, cousin banging yokels. Don't forget that the birthplace of interracial America was the South.

Unfortunately as humans, we are to a limited extent conditioned to think in a certain way. It's the old parallels that come into play, the duality of equality and tolerance.

If two guys, one white one black, with the same education, employment, income etc walk into a bank to get a loan they will likely we treated the same by the manager and will either both get approved or both get rejected. Now if they showed up on his home doorstep to take the manager's daughter out to dinner, it's not necessarily going to be the same way.

It's this ridiculous notion of being different but equal. I hate the idea and think it's ridiculous but I do believe that this notion is still prevalent.

YOWza

EvilForce

RE: Obama If DEM Nominee - Will Not Become Preside

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 37):
Here's the problem for Senator Obama--he doesn't have real executive experience in the political world. Why do you think most of the recent Presidents from Carter till now were all former state governors? Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush are all former governors, and the two leading Republican candidates (Mike Huckabee and Mitt Romney) were also former state governors.

Actually the reason why Senators don't win is because they have voting records that can be turned into 15 second sound bytes by the opposing party. Americans hear some ridiculous sound byte and run with it. "I voted for it, before I voted against it". "It's spelled P-O-T-A-T-A-O-E". "Read my lips, no new taxes". Both sides do it, and it's retarded, but Americans have no idea how laws actually get passed and how you have to vote against things before you can vote for them on a 2nd or 3rd trip thru w/ the changes needed. Nope instead ads that say, "Senator _______ voted 1,481,031 times to RAISE YOUR TAXES", and the electorate lose their minds.

Governors leave no such voting record behind. That's why they get elected. They win elections and leave no legacy behind that is easy to sum up to the rest of the populace.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

mt99

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:44 pm

Quoting CaptainJon (Reply 32):
but doesn't say ANYTHING what he will do other than saying CHANGE CHANGE CHANGE. I

And its working. Now ALL of the candidates Republican AND Democrat want to be "change"

front page on cnn.com:

"Candidates to New Hampshire: I am change"

PA110

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Quoting DLPMMM (Reply 38):
The Democrats are once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

The Republicans have almost nothing to offer with respect to worthy candidates, so the Democrats put up 2 leading candidates that are just about the only ones that the Republicans will be able to beat!

Obama will not win because there is a large contingent of racists in the Democrat party that will not vote for a black. This is not just in the south either. Harold Ford's failed bid for the Tenn. Senate seat is a good harbinger of things to come if Obama is nominated.

First, Obama is not Kerry. Kerry had no charisma whatsoever. He simply could not ignite the independents. Second, Tennessee is representative of the nation at large. Running for a Senate seat simply did not get out the minority vote in the same way a viable nationwide candidate would. Iowa has one of the smallest percentages of minority voters, and Obama clearly won the white vote. New Hampshire is much the same, and it already looks like Obama will do the same there. I think Clinton strongholds like California and New York might start turning if Obama wins New Hampshire and South Carolina.
Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

allstarflyer

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Quoting Checkraiser (Reply 40):
If BO is elected I will self-delete.

One remark to file away then. We'll hold you to it.  Wink

I could definitely see a Romney vs. Obama election battle in the summer and fall -

-Because of prominent backgrounds-
--Both lack the stigma of being a Washington "insider" for one - a big plus to many, IMO
--Both come from big-name political states (Romney as governor, Obama as professor in Chicago and Senator)

-Both look the best on TV, above anyone else from both parties, just by their looks

-Both speak well, from enunciating to posture to gesturing, etc. (anyone else think that Guiliani sometimes slouches even when he stands up straight?)

It would just depend on who the running mates are - Arkansas-bred Huck and Hill anyone? IMO, it would be either McCain or someone unnamed from the GOP and Richardson from the Dems.
Living the American Dream

AsstChiefMark

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:58 pm

Quoting Pope (Reply 41):
Laura Bush is as qualified to be President as Hillary is.

Bullshit! Laura Bush is a typical "shut up and stay out of sight" good Texas wife. At best, she's nothing more than a real-life Peggy Hill. The most she's done is read books to little kids. I doubt she can do more than tell kids to be quiet in a library or say, "I'm not at liberty to say. George makes all the decisions."

yowza

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting PA110 (Reply 45):
First, Obama is not Kerry. Kerry had no charisma whatsoever.

To tell you the truth I think the smear campaign is what really killed Kerry. I still find it comical that his "shady" military past killed him when Bush was chilling in the South.

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 47):

Bullshit! Laura Bush is a typical "shut up and stay out of sight" good Texas wife. At best, she's nothing more than a real-life Peggy Hill.

hahahah that made my day.

YOWza

mt99

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 47):

Bullshit! Laura Bush is a typical "shut up and stay out of sight" good Texas wife. At

Like Marget Cho said: "I bet Laura Bush p*ssy tastes like Lysol!"