Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Cunard: 3 Queens Sailing NYC Harbour Jan. 13th

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:02 pm

I have received this by email. Any forum members going to the event?
I would love being there but I won't be able to make the trip. If you are lucky enough to attend the event, please post pictures. Thanks a lot in advance.

Sunday, January 13, 2008 - New York Harbor

Witness the making of maritime history as fireworks and fanfare mark the first and only meeting of Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth 2 and the new Queen Victoria

The regal fleet is scheduled to depart at 6:30 p.m. Queen Mary 2 will depart from her home port, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal while QE2 will depart from Pier 92 and Queen Victoria will depart from Pier 88 both at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. Then, the three Queens will rendezvous and sail past the Statue of Liberty during a spectacular fireworks celebration by Grucci at approximately 7:00 p.m.

"This is an historic occasion for Cunard and New York, marking the only time that the three ships will be together…ever!" said Carol Marlow, president of Cunard Line. "More history will be made as our grand dame QE2 departs on her 26th and final World Cruise and Queen Victoria will depart on her maiden World Cruise," added Marlow.

This is the first-time in Cunard’s 168-year history that three Queens have been in service at the same time and with QE2 retiring in November 2008 will be the only time they will be together.

Thousands of well-wishers are expected to gather at ideal viewing locations to wish the majestic fleet of Queens "Bon Voyage" and see the fireworks celebration.

They include:

* Battery Park: On the southern shoreline of Manhattan, www.thebattery.org
Map link: http://www.bpcparks.org/bpcp/map/map.php

* Robert F. Wagner Jr. Park: Overlooking the Hudson River with great views of the Statue of Liberty
Getting there: Just south of the Museum of Jewish Heritage. By subway: 4 or 5 to Bowling Green, or N or R to Whitehall.

* The Esplanade: Running the entire length of Battery Park City, along the Hudson River from Stuyvesant High School on the north end all the way south to Battery Park

* Hudson River Park: 550 acre park extends for five miles along the Manhattan shoreline from Battery Place to West 59th Street.
There was a better way to fly it was called Concorde

FlagshipAZ

RE: Cunard: 3 Queens Sailing NYC Harbour Jan. 13th

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:49 pm

Man, oh man! Wish I were there to witness that. Hopefully some of our loyal A.netters's cruise fans
will have some pictures to post here. Obviously there will be choppers in the air doing the same.
Smart marketing moves from Cunard. Long live the Queens!
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

JGPH1A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:59 pm

A sum total of 8000 blue-haired petits bourgeois off in search of a gilded, muffin-strewn past that never existed. Gotta love Cunard !
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

searpqx

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:12 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 2):
A sum total of 8000 blue-haired petits bourgeois off in search of a gilded, muffin-strewn

So which cabin is yours. . . . duck 

I seriously thought about flying to NYC just to see this, but the fates weren't cooperative. I look forward to the pictures. I'm guessing I'll have to replace my desktop picture on Monday! Big grin
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

AnonymousInSAN

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:16 pm

Madame,

I have passed this information along to my brother-in-law who lives in Queens and is a ship FANATIC. Thank you for posting it. Hopefully they'll have good weather.

Merci...Vicky

JGPH1A

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting Searpqx (Reply 3):
So which cabin is yours. . . .

I'll be the one in the submarine firing the torpedoes. Bwuahahaha !!
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

dtwclipper

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Thread starter):
3 Queens Sailing

Damn, I thought this thread was about something else...got all excited for nothing.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

dl021

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 6):
3 Queens Sailing

Damn, I thought this thread was about something else...got all excited for nothing.

Beat me to it.....it was that or a poker reference.

JG..you're so envious that you didn't get a seat on that cruise!
Is my Pan Am ticket to the moon still good?

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 am

I wish I could be there myself but I won't be able to go. weeping 
Prince Albert won't lend me his private jet.  irked 

Anybody who will be there please take pictures and videos. I am not sure yet if the Cunard website will have a live webcast of the event or maybe some TV channels of some sort that are on cable/satellite for us to see over here.

The QE2 is a Grand Old lady and a most beautiful ship. She is still the fastest ocean liner in the world.
She should be treated with utter respect.

Quoting AnonymousInSAN (Reply 4):
I have passed this information along to my brother-in-law who lives in Queens and is a ship FANATIC. Thank you for posting it. Hopefully they'll have good weather.

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:47 am

Quoting DL021 (Reply 7):

Oh hardly - being trapped aboard a floating retirement home with 5000 of the blue-blazer brigade is not my idea of a good time. I can't imagine a single spot on this planet that wouldn't be instantly ruined by the arrival of that mob. I prefer much smaller ships, ta very much.

flashflyguy

Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:43 am

Let's hope NY copes better than Sydney did last year with 2 Queens in the harbour. A complete and utter shambles with the public transport system unable to cope. Roads closed off, that then brought the city to a stand still for the evening peak, resulting in total gridlock and people taking hours to get home. All for some fireworks.  Yeah sure

Quoting DL021 (Reply 7):
Quoting Dtwclipper (Reply 6):
3 Queens Sailing

Beat me to it.....it was that or a poker reference.

That would be a berth, not a seat.  Wink Or probably more correctly these days, a stateroom. Plus the time the "Queens" are in Sydney coincides with the gay Mardi Gras month, so there are literally hundreds of queens hanging around down the docks.  laughing 

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 9):
Oh hardly - being trapped aboard a floating retirement home with 5000 of the blue-blazer brigade is not my idea of a good time.

5000 thieves more like! Last year when the QM2 was in Sydney, there was a large passenger exchange, where people left the ship and new passengers joined. I remember reading in the paper where they did inspections on the bags as they were coming off the ship and it was amazing what people were trying to steal off the ship. From the proverbial ashtray through to artworks, stashed in their bags hoping to get away with them.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 am

wow... I have never thought that passengers would be taking so much stuff off a ship!
Maybe they thought they would get rich selling them off on ebay?  Big grin

I should not feel so bad taking an occasional safety card or steel spoon off an aircraft!  Yeah sure

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 10):
it was amazing what people were trying to steal off the ship. From the proverbial ashtray through to artworks, stashed in their bags hoping to get away with them.

I wonder what will be done with the QE2's paraphernalia when she gets retired.
Maybe they'll do like they did for Concorde and have one or several auctions.
Can you imagine the thousands of plates and glasses, linens and so on...

flashflyguy

Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:54 am

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 11):
I should not feel so bad taking an occasional safety card or steel spoon off an aircraft!

I wouldn't worry if I was you Madame, I do the same thing... Big grin A couple of teaspoons, a few coffee cups, a wine glass or two (actual glasses not plastic crap), a blanket...the list goes on...have all somehow found their way off the plane in my backpack over the years. (Although no safety cards or safety equipment does, ever!)

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 11):
Can you imagine the thousands of plates and glasses, linens and so on...

I think they'd be returned to stores and then distributed over the remaining Cunard ships as required.

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:33 am

I truly regret not to have taken off some coffee cups, spoons and other dinnerware and other things from the Air France Concordes... and a couple of blankets too... The crystal glass I had taken off a flight three weeks from the AF Concordes retirement was quickly broken, probably shattered during transport.

The Ladies are now retired and I don't know where most of the AF Concorde paraphernalia has gone to. Maybe some lucky AF staff have whole collections of them in their homes...

Quoting FlashFlyGuy (Reply 12):
A couple of teaspoons, a few coffee cups, a wine glass or two (actual glasses not plastic crap), a blanket...the list goes on...

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:34 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
I'll be the one in the submarine

As ballast.  duck 

cornish

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:45 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 14):
Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 5):
I'll be the one in the submarine

As ballast.

Better that than he take a swim in the bay that day. It could be the Titanic all over again...... duck 
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 15):
Better that than he take a swim in the bay that day. It could be the Titanic all over again......

Better still - get to pick off the survivors with a machine gun  Smile

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:09 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 16):
Better still - get to pick off the survivors with a machine gun  

I just knew you were a closet gun-nut.  Wink

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 17):
I just knew you were a closet gun-nut.

No - if I was a gun nut, I'd have said "Get to pick off the survivors with a Uzi 750mm semi-automatic auto-recoil with laser scope, GPS and optional heated trigger guard that the evil ZOG blue-helmet black helicopter UN are trying to steal from me !"  biggrin 

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:26 pm

QE2 with Concorde and the Red Arrows.  fluffy 

sprout5199

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):
750mm

Now thats a big gun

Dan in Jupiter

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:44 pm

Quoting Sprout5199 (Reply 20):
Now thats a big gun

Modesty forbids, but I've had no complaints...  

[Edited 2008-01-08 05:48:53]

ORFflyer

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:46 pm

Quoting JGPH1A (Reply 18):
No - if I was a gun nut, I'd have said "Get to pick off the survivors with a Uzi 750mm semi-automatic auto-recoil with laser scope, GPS and optional heated trigger guard that the evil ZOG blue-helmet black helicopter UN are trying to steal from me !"   

But I knew that's what you meant....  Wink

Nice pic Madame.

cornish

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 pm

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 22):
But I knew that's what you meant....

JGPH123XYZ is just jealous he didn't get booked to perform cabaret on one of the ships......
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Hey folks, please keep this thread on topic. I don't want it to be removed by the moderators.  Yeah sure

You can start a new thread on your Uzis and other toys.

cornish

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 24):
Hey folks, please keep this thread on topic.

And why exactly should this thread be different to every other thread in Non.Av?.  Wink

JGPH1A

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:56 pm

Quoting MadameConcorde (Reply 19):
QE2 with Concorde and the Red Arrows.

I remember reading once about a UK Labour Government minister in the 1970's during the height of the Concorde crisis (when they were trying to scrap the project) - he is reported to have said that if only the Concorde would crash onto the QE2 it would solve all his problems ! (I guess they were having problems with Cunard too).

cornish

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Getting back on track (most unlike me I know  Wink ), when is the QE2 heading to Dubai to become a hotel? Straight after this cruise ?

MadameConcorde
Topic Author

Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:47 pm

On the 13th she will sail off from New York Harbour for a round the world, for quite a nice trip actually.

New York, Fort Lauderdale, Bridgetown, Salvador de Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Port Stanley, Cape Horn, Punta Arenas, Valparaíso, Easter Island, Papeete, Nukualofa, Auckland, Sydney, Hobart, Melbourne, Adélaïde, Albany, Fremantle, Singapore, Vung Tau, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Osaka, Honolulu, Lahaina, Los Angeles, Acapulco, Puerto Moin, Montego Bay, Fort Lauderdale, New York, Southampton.

I think her final cruise to Dubai (all booked up already) will be in December 2008.

Quoting Cornish (Reply 27):
when is the QE2 heading to Dubai to become a hotel? Straight after this cruise ?

kmh1956

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:09 am

If not for the mention of Cunard in the thread title, I would have thought three of our members had decided to go sailing!!!
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

FlagshipAZ

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, the 3 Queens had their one & only meeting yesterday (hold the jokes, pls) at NY harbour.
CNN this morning had a brief report, with still aerial photos.
Anyone here get anything they're willing to post?
Regards.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." --Ben Franklin

DC10extender

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 29):
If not for the mention of Cunard in the thread title, I would have thought three of our members had decided to go sailing!!!

laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing   laughing   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   silly 
Did you ever read on your birth certificate that life is fair? Thats cause its not there.