Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

What Was Your Most Boring Class?

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:53 pm

I don't know how I got stuck with this class. And I don't think my schedule changes for the semester, which means, I might have this class for the whole school year. It's a computer class in which we do nothing for an hour and a half. I could be doing better. Computer Applications.... a class I took 4 years ago in the 6th grade... And I still have a half an hour to go. Help!            

[Edited 2008-01-10 07:54:33]

EWRCabincrew

RE: What Was Your Most Boring Class?

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:56 pm

Anything math related.

In training for cabin crew...FARs.

LHRjc

Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:59 pm

Detention was always pretty boring

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:03 pm

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 2):

The teacher I have now gave me a 1-hour lunch detention for saying "yo mamma" and it wasn't even to him, but to my friends when I was in my Japanese class. I have to see him everyday rather than like my other teachers who I see every other day. Block schedule... and 4 classes a day..

Toast

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 1):
Anything math related.

checkmark 

Plus P.E.

In college (no math and no PE, of course), no boring classes per se except IT. The level was laughably low for a school where most students were computer geeks. We "learned" how to format floppy disks and create folders in Windows Explorer.  zzz 

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:20 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
Plus P.E.

Oh, I forgot, that's another waste of an hour and a half. It's a good thing I don't have these classes on the same day, I'd be really pissed if I had to waste 3 hours in one day.

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
We "learned" how to format floppy disks and create folders in Windows Explorer.

I'm not sure we'll even get that far...

On a side note, only five more minutes of this class for the week (next week I have this class 3 times instead of 2 like this week) and I won't be on another computer 'til I get home! Good thing A.net isn't blocked....yet..

lincoln

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:35 pm

Math was easily my most fustrating ("Ooh, you're good at computer programming, you have to be good at math...")

My most boring was probably my chem class in college. Two days a week... 90 minutes a day of sheer and utter boredom with a monotone lecture [no lab]. And that was after I started taking stuff for my ADD, so I was actually paying attention, too  Sad -- I still don't remember, and have never used anything from that class.

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
Plus P.E.

I was buddy-budy with enough teachers and administrators that I actually attended probably fewer than 25% of the actual classes, the rest of the time I was more or less independent and had the run of the campus [I did the computer network, PC support, video, PA, the marquee out front...basically anything more complicated than a light switch.]

PE Is also the only class I consistantly aced.

It's goot to be out of school and sitting on the carpeted floor of a Senate chamber in a suit  Smile

Lincoln

EWRCabincrew

Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:44 pm

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
Plus P.E.

In high school (at least in the San Diego Unified School District) when I went, P.E. was not counted towards your overall GPA. Needless to say, I hated P.E., as well.

AsstChiefMark

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Quantum biochemistry and spectral microbiology. I aced the tests, but still had to sit through boring lectures. Not easy for a guy with ADHD.  bouncy 

ALexeu

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:08 pm

French was boring, but I would like to learn it now ! You can't learn language in school. You have to taste the culture.

Quoting Toast (Reply 4):
Plus P.E.

I never liked P.E, even though I like sports. Perhaps it's because everything was unorganized.

ManuCH

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Quoting AlexEU (Reply 9):
I never liked P.E, even though I like sports.

I never liked PE either, *because* it was sports.

And I hated history in school years 10-13 - not because I hate history as a subject per se, but because we were only talking about stuff which happened 1000+ years ago, or whatever. Then, the last school month, the 20th century finally popped up - which is the only kind of "history" I'm actually interested in (and which is somewhat useful, IMHO, to understand the current world).

mhodgson

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:29 pm

I was never a fan of history; and some geography subjects were incredibly boring no matter now good the teacher.

In my ATPL modules, Air Law and Operational Procedures were the worst.

seb146

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 pm

History and civics were the two classes I hated in high school. In college, I hated English and computers. This was back in the pre-internet days, so all computer classes were boring! I liked English in high school because I could muddle through the works of Shakespere and get to the good stuff: diagraming sentences. I don't know why I liked that part of English. But, in college, diagraming sentences was English 111, Shakespere was English 112, and composition was English 113. I needed three different English courses above 111 to graduate. After failing 112 twice, I took Modern American Lit one term and Composition another term and graduated.

As for PE, let's just say I liked it and leave it at that...

NWADC9

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:30 pm

Pre-Calculus and Algebra 2. Not because of the course, but because of the teacher. She can bore the paint off a house! Also, Geometry. The teacher was, well, dumb, clueless, and "not living up to his resume". He didn't last long in that course Big grin

Honorable Mentions:
Biology
Language Arts of any grade

sprout5199

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Thread starter):
What Was Your Most Boring Class?

Hand drilling tools for wood.  Smile

Just had to say that.

Dan in Jupiter

seb146

Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 13):
The teacher was, well, dumb, clueless, and "not living up to his resume". He didn't last long in that course

When I was in junior high, I was a "C" student in math. I failed algebra in 9th grade (for us, that was the last year of junior high). I aced algebra the next year, and my junior and senior years took Geometry and College Algebra with the same teacher and aced them, too. He knew his stuff and knew how to teach it to keep us focused. I really enjoyed Mr. Johnson's classes. It gave me a whole new perspective on the football coaching staff. He was the assistant football coach.

Ari

Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:05 pm

hmmmmm....today I endured a day starting with triple physics....then double geography.....and last but not least, the killer blow.......triple maths!!! (Triples last for 1h55 and doubles for 1h15!) AS exams this week too!! Ah well...last one tomorrow!!  Big grin

ari

comorin

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:38 pm

In Grad School - Marketing Management vs. Accounting - Debit Brain and amortize it over a straight line...
In College - Organic Chemistry - 2,4 lepto- isobutadieneheptasuccynylmethyate 3,4 blahblahblah...
In High School - Lower Hindi  banghead  'Gangadat ek Mendak Tha' - I had dreams of the Brits retaking India...

All said and done, it's not the subject, usually it's the teacher...

UAL747

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 pm

Statistics for Business. BLAH! Couldn't understand the heavily accented Indian Professor, and I've been around TONS of Indian Americans, and I'm not great at math, which made me even more uninterested. Dr. RajiI Natarajan at Southern Methodist University, Everyone who took her still to this day recalls how awful that class was.

UAL

HickoryShampoo

Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:45 pm

"Basics of MS Access" to satisfy half of my computer-related credit. I'm getting sleepy just thinking about it.

Springbok747

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:04 am

Anything related to numbers...accounting, math, physics etc.

Also in MBA last semester we had a topic called "the impact of Asian businesses on Europe". WTF? What a stupid topic. I still don't know what it was about. Glad I passed it though.

foppishbum

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:09 am

cell physiology & neurobiology, it's actually one class and all we do now is calculating the permeability, diffusion and partition coefficient, and flux...  sigh  I don't like math. Another class I thought was a waste of my time was aquaculture: we learned how to "farm" fish. Not that it's not important but I am just not interested in the topic. Oh yea, I disliked plant biology with a passion...but it was a required class, so had to take it and survived. Big grin

texasaggie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am

I've had a few incredibly boring classes:

- Numerical analysis - the professor just read his notes on the projector.
- Fluids - same as above
- Heat transfer - 8 o'clock in the morning and heat transfer don't mix.
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials - the slowest hour-fifteen EVER.

a380us

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:13 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Thread starter):

I don't know how I got stuck with this class. And I don't think my schedule changes for the semester, which means, I might have this class for the whole school year. It's a computer class in which we do nothing for an hour and a half. I could be doing better. Computer Applications.... a class I took 4 years ago in the 6th grade... And I still have a half an hour to go. Help! Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â

same here
I'm in tenth grade and we have this stupid class twice a week where we have to listen to these CS's the "Video Proffesor"
the teacher of the class hates us and its the same the other way
he always goes on and on about how I think (which i dont) that i know everything and normally i try to not be disrespectfully but its so hard in his class.
He even hit me once but i just ignored it and like he's just so annoying.

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:26 am

Quoting A380US (Reply 23):
He even hit me once but i just ignored it and like he's just so annoying.

I wish a teacher would touch me. It would be the last thing they'd do. Was he just playing around, or did he seriously hit you?

lincoln

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:28 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 17):

Very true. I had some teachers that made interesting content painful, and some teachers that really brought dull content to life. One of them was my 11th grade English teacher, a former roadie who had toured nationally before deciding to teach.

On the first day of class he wrote the "F--- You" [uncensored, though] across the whiteboard in 4' tall letters and launched in to this speech:

"I've been here for at least three years and one day. That means in the State of California I'm tenured. Unless they catch me having sex with a student while selling drugs in front of you, in this classroom there's nothing your paents or the administration can do to me. So don't waste your time, your parent's time, the principal's time or my time by running home and bitching to mommy every time I do something that pisses you off.

"Moving on, the first book we're going to read is Catcher in the Rye. It's been banned in over 50% of the school districts in this country because of one word (points at whiteboard). Not this district though. If you've ever wanted to use the phrase 'F--k you' in an essay make sure you properly cite it -- it can be found on pages 202, 204, and 205."

Best damn teacher I ever had. Toughest teacher I ever had, too, but he was fair. You asked him for help or an explination he gave it to you.

steeler83

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:08 am

At Millersville, the most boring class was a Wednesday night history class from 6-9. The first half was very boring, but got interesting from the WWII period to the present. The textbook sucked though. It really did not go in depth about September 11 at all. The book should have had a whole chapter about 9/11 and terrorism IMO, and covered everything about the event, from the twin towers, to the pentagon, to the crash in PA, to the Anthrax scare, kidnapped journalists (i.e. Daniel Pearl). Then again, the textbook I think only came out in 2002 or 2003. This was during the Fall 2003 semester...

Now at West Chester, there were no boring classes. They were mostly all geography/planning/GIS classes. Fun classes and excellent faculty and staff!! The rest of Millersville was also a good experience BTW, especially junior and senior year...

huskyaviation

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:08 am

In law school, it was Trusts & Estates for me. Good lord, that class was criminally boring!

a380us

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:26 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 24):
I wish a teacher would touch me. It would be the last thing they'd do. Was he just playing around, or did he seriously hit you?

well like i think i said something (or someone else did so he got mad) and so he liked smacked me in the rip didnt hurt but it was pretty hard

steeler83

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:31 am

Quoting NWADC9 (Reply 13):
Pre-Calculus and Algebra 2. Not because of the course, but because of the teacher. She can bore the paint off a house! Also, Geometry. The teacher was, well, dumb, clueless, and "not living up to his resume". He didn't last long in that course

That reminds me of college algebra my freshman year at Millersville actually. How does someone rank in the top 10% of the state in the PA State Scholastic Assessment test (which was supremely pointless) in math, and a 660 on the SAT math part, which also ranked in the top 15% of the nation, get into college algebra -- COLLEGE fricking ALGEBRA --

-- and then get a D+ in there? Answer: a contradictive clueless professor!!!

In my junior and senior years of high school, my average grade in Algebra II (junior year) was a 90, and the same could be said about Trig/Precalc as well...

N1120A

Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:38 am

High School: AP French (because I spoke the language better than the teacher and because it was combined with a lower level class, so we never got to really learn the stuff we were supposed to)

College: Comparative Political Analysis (the professor was terrible)

Law School: Environmental Enforcement (interesting subject, terrible lecturers)

af773atmsp

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:19 am

Literature, writing, science, and health class is so boring at my school. Math is kind of boring too.

LTU932

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:23 am

Spanish, Math, Physics, PE, Chemistry and Biology. Add to that 12th grade History because the teacher sucked.

KaiGywer

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:49 am

Introduction to macroeconomics. I fell asleep so many times in that class

Gemuser

Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:56 am

Public Finance! Dry subject, but oh so boring lectuer! Only class in 24 years of education in which I regularly fell alseep, as did about half the class!

Gemuser

jamesbaldwyn

Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:28 am

History, Most boring lesson I've ever had.

YYZflyer

Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Grade 10 science. That class was so boring until my real science teacher came back. She left in November '06 for maternity leave and came back in March '07. Me and my friend always sat in a corner of the class and he'd always look and me and her; she was very creeped out by it. She'd say, "I think he's undressing us with his eyes".  laughing 

I'm signed up for grade 11 general science next semester, but I keep forgetting to go drop it for music.  bigmouth 

iflykpdx

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:40 pm

Chem. Prof basically read off a projector, answered her own questions 90% of the time, and did waayyyyy too many examples. I don't think I've ever seen a class go from 200 -> 150 faster than that one.

ShyFlyer

Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:04 pm

In High School it was PE.

In College I think its a toss up between Contract Law and Project Management.

adopim88

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:10 am

Hmm, this one is a hard one. Biology (the lecture part, the labs were interesting) my freshman year was terrible. No average person passed the tests. Even the science lovers only managed Cs or Bs. The professors were monotonous when they spoke. Just all around bad. Introduction to Contemporary Math was pretty bad too along with Foundations of Education.

MCOflyer

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 am

Quoting LHRjc (Reply 2):

I will agree with you on that one.

In high school: Home room, reading, senior english

College: Prep Writing

Hunter

ag92

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 am

Any class with a teacher who is really boring
I have one right now, she can't teach us, so just before the exams we are all panicking because we haven't learnt anything, so we have to go ask our friends

The good thing about her is that she gives me high attainment grades and high effort grades which I know I don't deserve, but I don't complain

Lastly, she is also damn nice, people do anything they want and she doesn't get angry. So we enjoy her until our exams are coming, then we start to freak out

Halcyon

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:49 am

Sociology and Statistics. Not hard, but boring as crap.

flipdewaf

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:00 am

Aircraft structures is as boring as it gets for me. I love my course!

Fred

LHboyatDTW

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:23 am

Quoting Comorin (Reply 17):

so true

High School

Math with Siebarth. I swear his voice reminded me of Steven Hawkins without the device he uses for speech. If only he could learn how to teach algebra and pre-calc effectively, then I wouldn't have been plagued by Cs in his class.

P.E. with some former body-builder who was VERY egocentric. Basically mocked me when I passed out from running 3 miles consistently without stopping. Funny thing is that he mentioned on the first day that he is obsessed with children and very much a family man yet I had him in teen health and in one lecture he mentioned he is yet to undergo diaper changing.

College

fortunately all of my professors have been great (*knock on wood*)

though macroeconomics was hell. Two and a half hours every Monday and Wednesday with a 70 year old from Bangladesh is not my idea of fun. Besides that two words: OPINIONATE JERK!!!! When asked on a question between demand of commodities he claimed cotton to have an effect on the demand for corn. Since when did we wear corn kernels and ate cotton (note: cotton candy is actually from sugar starches, not actual cotton)?

Just from one semester in college, I can tell that professors are more or less grade A pricks than teachers in high school.

LAXspotter

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:55 am

Its about to be Anatomy, a requisite for graduation, damn it, damn.  Sad  banghead 

LASoctoberB6
Topic Author

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:14 am

Quoting A380US (Reply 28):

well like i think i said something (or someone else did so he got mad) and so he liked smacked me in the rip didnt hurt but it was pretty hard

Nope. Not by me. I wouldn't have let him get away with "smackin' me right in the dip" without me doing the same back to him.. But, that's just me..

Duff44

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:22 pm

ENGLISH!!!

Specifically one teacher's class in high school (Honors English). It was not "English" as in creative writing, reading fiction and non-fiction, grammar, etc.

Essentially it was cramming that King Arthur garbage as far up our butts as humanly possible. That's it... read a King Arthur book and discuss it. 9 months of King Arthur crap...

The next year, I intentionally left the Honors program just so I didn't have to take her classes (which were ALL King Arthur garbage) ever again.

MCOflyer

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:41 pm

I hope my teacher this semester is good at teaching English. I am taking speech and know that class is going to be a piece of cake. Math is supposed to be good for teacher knows how to do everything but we shall see.

Hunter

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:42 am

Quoting Duff44 (Reply 47):
Specifically one teacher's class in high school (Honors English). It was not "English" as in creative writing, reading fiction and non-fiction, grammar, etc.

Ugh... don't even get me started with my 11th grade teacher. I wonder if she got pleasure out of exploiting every single one of my mistakes. She would announce to the class when I did things incorrectly. Now I know why nobody in the history of Baldwin High School liked her -- at least anyone since 1985 anyway...

You know what sucks? Learning how to wright a fricking research paper -- and it couldn't be about something of your interest either. It basically had to be some critical essay on literature. Every 11th grader had to do one -- as if we're all going to grow up to become English critics??? I would rather cut out my tongue!!!

Thank God for college! After 5 years of college (4 at Millersville, and 1 at West Chester) I now know that high school was the the biggest waste of my time. There's 4 years I won't get back. The extra curricular activites were the only good part of it for me.

I see you didn't like the King Arthur stuff. 12th grade english was actually way more fun than 11th grade. We read The Hobbit, as well as the Knights of the Round Table, MacBeth, and I forget what else. I had fun with that. I kinda got into the knights and wizard stuff that year...

The Red Badge of Courage is one of the worst books ever! It was written in the dialect of the main characters and needless to say it was next to impossible to read! That was in 11th grade...