Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CaptOveur
Topic Author

Ok What Is The Big Deal With Vista?

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 am

I just recently built up a spankin' new computer based on an Intel quad core 2.4ghz CPU and an Asus motherboard. I have 4gb of ram, 500gb hard drive and a fairly low cost video card. I will admit this computer is a work in progress.

I decided to give Windows Vista Ultimate a whirl, it only cost me $30 through the school so I figured it was a cheap experiment. I installed the program so many people fear and I found after I turned off some annoying user access control thing it was pretty much like an improved XP.

I have been running it all day and have YET to have any stability issues. The computer runs quickly and smoothly. I don't get what the problems are that everyone has.

Some of the interfaces have changed and it took me a couple hours to figure out where stuff was hidden and how to configure some things. I kind of expected this.

Also, the computer runs FSX like a champ.. Which was a major reason behind why I built the thing.

Guys, it isn't that bad.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

bagpiper

RE: Ok What Is The Big Deal With Vista?

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:09 am

Quoting CaptOveur (Thread starter):

I agree. I have a lower spec system than you, and for a while, ran it with 1GB of RAM. I'm using 2GB now. Its faster than XP runs on here, to be honest. I've tried them side by side.

My mom uses it (basic edition) on a laptop with a low-end dual core, integrated graphics, and 512MB RAM. Now she's at 1.5GB RAM, and the performance is better, but even with 512MB, it was fine.

I think most of the deal is people spreading the rumors. They here that "no old hardware is going to work with it. All software is going to have to be run in a worse performing compatibility mode, or it won't work at all", etc. Suddenly, they become the "experts" posting all over about how Vista sucks, and they have never even tried it.

Yes, some things in Vista are bad - UAC for one. Big friggin deal. Turn it off. Takes 2 minutes, INCLUDING the reboot time.

Most things are improved a whole lot, or new features.

Integrated DVD playing - DVD burning - DVD ripping, with Ultimate - better security (still, it lacks, but everybody complains about XP's security, so any improvement is a welcome, no?) - it can take advantage of better hardware - the list goes on and on.

About the "hardware compatibility" people toot about; I have a Linksys Wireless B USB adapter that did NOT work with Windows XP. Guess what? It works with Vista!

Every piece of hardware I have works with Vista, if it can connect to my computer. No complaints. Software? Only one thing have I had to run in Windows XP compatibility mode, and it was some quick program thrown together that, while I use a lot, is poorly written.

So, I think most of the complaints about Vista are rumors. I know a 65 year old lady, who runs Vista, on her second computer ever owned. She loves it. On the other end of the spectrum, plenty of people who use computers almost 24/7 (like me) love it. Over 100 Million copies have been sold. I think if there were drastic problems with it, we would be hearing it more from other places.

Almost everything used in XP got a touch-up - maybe not redesigned, but made easier. Wireless networking is easier. Network sharing is easier. User managing is easier. So, I'm with you - I dunno what the big deal is.

Oh, BTW - Klaus, for the record, this is clearly a topic about Windows Vista, not about how the person is looking for a new computer, so I think any Mac vs. Windows debate is not needed here, and I will suggest deletion on any post you make that threatens to turn this thread into one of those debates, as I hope everybody else will do, also.

andessmf

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:23 am

Indeed I have not had much trouble at all, even with the programs that are NOT supposed to run on Vista. There is a bit of a learning curve on the location and name of some control components, but otherwise it works just fine.

Got my FSX finally running and it does pretty well, thank you.

But...

But...

I got a new laptop, pretty killer system...

Since I use ultimate to watch some TV while at work, and need offline files, I purchased it online. I did not realize that the price quoted was the x64, the 64-bit version of the system.

That actually works quite well, and the performance is even improved. There are some programs that refuse to work on 64-bit computers, but Microsoft created this program called 'Virtual PC 2007' that allows me to run, in a separate window, ANOTHER O/S!!

So I have Vista Ultimate x64 as my main O/S, with Windows XP running as another window when I need to use non-compatible programs. I am in computer heaven.

FlyKev

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:43 am

With the right specs and enough Ram, vista runs great.
Ive had it for almost a year now and wouldn't dream of switching back.
Maybe people will feel more comfortable once SP1 is released.

Kev.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

ag92

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am

Also, the computer runs FSX like a champ

Whats your video card, and what framerates are you getting?

NeilYYZ

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:59 am

I'm with you.

I have a Sony Vaio FZ180E laptop running Vista. I was advised by a lot of computer inclined friends to go back to XP, but I don't know jack all about computers so I kept Vista on there. And I can run FSX and FS9 on the laptop with Vista and get about 15-20 fps in FSX and generally above 20 fps in FS9.

I like Vista, and I have actually found the sidebar rather useful.
It may be too early to drink scotch... But it is NEVER too early to think about it...

aloges

Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:06 am

AFAIK, most of the problems reported have happened with 64 bit versions. That combined with the fact that M$ hyped Vista up to be the best thing since sliced bread and it's only "XP (with) a touch-up - maybe not redesigned, but made easier" does make me sceptical.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Klaus

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:23 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 1):
Oh, BTW - Klaus, for the record, this is clearly a topic about Windows Vista, not about how the person is looking for a new computer, so I think any Mac vs. Windows debate is not needed here, and I will suggest deletion on any post you make that threatens to turn this thread into one of those debates, as I hope everybody else will do, also.

a) No reason to be that insecure.

b) It was you who introduced that idea into this thread, not I. So should I request deletion of your post?

c) I had and have no such intention. I wouldn't even have posted without you explicitly talking to me.

d) Have a nice day!  Smile

jamesbaldwyn

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:28 pm

What annoys me is people who expect their printers, scanners etc that are more than 10 years old and that it wont work on Vista. Technology is advancing, so must they  Wink

cfalk

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 4):

I had the same experience. FSX was horribly clunky on my XP 3.6 Ghz Pentium with 256 MB graphics card and 4 GB of memory. Installed Vista and framerates went up by a factor of 5 or 6 at least.

Vista is great if you don't run afoul of their new rules concerning program installation - Which I think are a good idea and had to be done. But communications could have been better about warning people who had a lot of legacy programs they wanted to use.
The only thing you should feel when shooting a terrorist: Recoil.

RobertNL070

Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:52 pm

Quoting Jamesbaldwyn (Reply 8):
What annoys me is people who expect their printers, scanners etc that are more than 10 years old and that it wont work on Vista.

I'm wondering if my HP4 laser printer, vintage 1898 1998, will work with Vista. It may be umpteen years old, but it still does a perfect job.

Technology is advancing, so must they

Cheeky bugger  Wink

Robert
Born to be wild ...... until about 9 p.m.
Home = RTM, Rotterdam The Hague.

Rara

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:24 pm

Yeah, I fully agree - the whole Vista complaining crap is by mostly by people who don't know what they're talking about. If you manage to mess up an XP system, you're also capable of messing up a Vista system - and then complain that it's the producer's fault.

If there's one Vista criticism that I share, it's that while XP was truly revolutionary, Vista is a good step ahead, but nothing too exciting considering how long they worked on it. It's a decent system and it does what's it advertized for, but it's not too innovative all in all. While back in day, everyone in their right state of mind abandonned the W95/W98 for XP quickly, nowadays some people choose to stay with XP and that's legitimate really.
Samson was a biblical tough guy, but his dad Samsonite was even more of a hard case.

Go3Team

Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I had a few problems when I first installed Vista on my laptop. I bought a 2nd drive and installed it as a dual boot, just in case. There were a few problems at first, and the updates came trickling in, and it runs pretty good now.
Yay Pudding!

David L

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:40 pm

I have been running it all day and have YET to have any stability issues. The computer runs quickly and smoothly. I don't get what the problems are that everyone has.

Beats me, too. )

I think most of the deal is people spreading the rumors. They here that "no old hardware is going to work with it. All software is going to have to be run in a worse performing compatibility mode, or it won't work at all", etc. Suddenly, they become the "experts" posting all over about how Vista sucks, and they have never even tried it.

Correct. Look at how many of the views begin with "I've heard that...".  Smile

Yes, some things in Vista are bad - UAC for one. Big friggin deal.

I think that's made worse by the fact that most users, including me, only ever used an Administrator account in XP so aren't familiar with the concept. The reason I've switched it off and gone back to only using an Administrator account is that some 3rd party software doesn't let you install it as an administrator and use it as a user - not MS's fault.

Quoting AndesSMF (Reply 2):
Indeed I have not had much trouble at all, even with the programs that are NOT supposed to run on Vista

Same here. Some software, including PS Elements 4, generated warnings that they weren't compatible and might cause problems. They didn't.

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 4):

For the record, I have an nVidia 8800 GTS card, 2GB of RAM and a 3GHz Dual-core 6850 CPU and I'm getting 50-100 fps in the virtual-cockpit with the PMDG 744 in FSX with higher settings than I had in XP/FS9.

Quoting Aloges (Reply 6):
AFAIK, most of the problems reported have happened with 64 bit versions.

Maybe but, since most home users are better off installing the 32-bit version, most of the scare stories I've heard have been about that version.

Quoting Rara (Reply 11):
Vista is a good step ahead, but nothing too exciting considering how long they worked on it.

Contrary to a lot of the "I've heard that..." stories, there have been changes under the surface (an extra layer between the drivers and the OS, for one). And don't forget that they were developing the 64-bit version in parallel, which has many more differences over XP.

MD-90

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:42 pm

Quoting Rara (Reply 11):
it's that while XP was truly revolutionary

It was?

David L

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 14):
Quoting Rara (Reply 11):
it's that while XP was truly revolutionary

It was?

Given that so many bypassed Windows 2000 and went straight from 98 or NT to XP, I would say so.

ClassicLover

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 14):
It was?

Yeah... when you consider Windows 95 was a disaster (mainly because you could barely use any of your old DOS programmes without a lot of pissing about, plus it fell over at the drop of a hat)... and that Windows 98 was basically what 95 should have been (stable, decent).

NT was the big product for businesses, Windows 2000 was also pretty good. However XP combined NT and Windows 2000 to create a single product. XP was very good from the get go and introduced a whole host of features which in the main were all very good.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

VonRichtofen

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:07 pm

What annoys me is people who expect their printers, scanners etc that are more than 10 years old and that it wont work on Vista. Technology is advancing, so must they

Yeah every two years we should all just throw away printers, scanners etc. that are completely fine  Yeah sure

EvilForce

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:16 pm

The ultimate gauge of "does Vista suck" or "does Vista rock" is the sales of said product.

From a sheer marketing view, MS has crapped the bed on this launch. Does anyone have the latest sales / projections for Vista by chance?
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

moo

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:34 pm

Quoting David L (Reply 15):
Given that so many bypassed Windows 2000 and went straight from 98 or NT to XP, I would say so.

Windows 2000 Pro was actually very big in the corporate arena, but it was never a home operating system.

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 16):
XP was very good from the get go and introduced a whole host of features which in the main were all very good.

That it did, however it would seem that people are looking back at it with rose tinted glasses - when XP was released, it received the same doom and gloom predictions, the same complaints, the same criticisms as Vista is now receiving. And I guarantee that Vistas replacement will get more of the same.

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 17):
Yeah every two years we should all just throw away printers, scanners etc. that are completely fine

Your beef is with the peripheral manufacturers - its not Microsofts job to support those products across major versions of the OS, its the manufacturers.

David L

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:41 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 17):

What annoys me is people who expect their printers, scanners etc that are more than 10 years old and that it wont work on Vista. Technology is advancing, so must they

Yeah every two years we should all just throw away printers, scanners etc. that are completely fine

OK, I'll reply in kind...

Yeah, every two years all printers, scanners, etc. fail to work with a new OS.  sarcastic   Smile

As far as I'm aware, there's nothing to stop hardware that worked with XP from working with Vista... unless the hardware manufacturer decides not to provide new drivers.

David L

Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:48 pm

Quoting Moo (Reply 19):
Windows 2000 Pro was actually very big in the corporate arena, but it was never a home operating system.

And I didn't suggest otherwise. The fact remains that "many" jumped straight from 98/NT to XP so saw a huge improvement. For what it's worth, none of the five IT organisations I was involved with, directly or indirectly, went down the 2000 route on their desktops, i.e. their "users" never saw it.

jafa39

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:13 pm

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 10):
I'm wondering if my HP4 laser printer, vintage 1898 1998, will work with Vista. It may be umpteen years old, but it still does a perfect job.

Check on the HP website, they have a whole section devoted to Vista drivers.
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

EvilForce

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:26 pm

Electronic computer equipment really has about a 3 year life span. Of course there are exceptions, and even I have a printer from 2002 that works perfectly still even though I use it daily. Working for 5+ years for a $ 165 printer is amazing IMHO.

If you get 3 years or more out of your printer, computer, whatever, that's a win and you can't complain. I think if you want more than this you are expecting too much from your electronic equipment. *shrug*
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

mham001

Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:51 pm

Yes, some things in Vista are bad - UAC for one. Big friggin deal. Turn it off. Takes 2 minutes, INCLUDING the reboot time.

Most things are improved a whole lot, or new features.

Integrated DVD playing - DVD burning - DVD ripping, with Ultimate - better security (still, it lacks, but everybody complains about XP's security, so any improvement is a welcome, no?) - it can take advantage of better hardware - the list goes on and on.

And there is the dichotomy Microsoft faces. The UAC is exactly what Apple users are used to and part of what provides them with better security. For some reason they don't seem to find it intrusive, yet Windows users are screaming bloody murder because they are used to the wild wild world of administrator. Then of course, they will also be the first to scream about the security problems...

bagpiper

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:04 pm

Quoting Mham001 (Reply 24):
And there is the dichotomy Microsoft faces. The UAC is exactly what Apple users are used to and part of what provides them with better security. For some reason they don't seem to find it intrusive, yet Windows users are screaming bloody murder because they are used to the wild wild world of administrator. Then of course, they will also be the first to scream about the security problems...

The funny thing is that often times Apple users use the UAC argument against using Windows Vista.

andessmf

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:07 pm

You know, it is my understanding that a lot of these security problems are solved with Vista 64...(I use it now)

ManuCH

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:20 pm

Quoting Bagpiper (Reply 25):
The funny thing is that often times Apple users use the UAC argument against using Windows Vista.

Well, I'm an Apple user, but I'm not a full-time Vista basher (only part time  Wink). Yet, the biggest difference I see between Apple's security and Vista's UAC is the fact that with Vista you need to "allow" also if you only want to access, for example, your network settings (without editing them). But besides that, I actually think that Vista's UAC is a good thing, and that it greatly improves security. Certainly it's not a feature people need to bash Microsoft about!

If you have new (better: compatible) hardware, and don't have really special, old software you need to run, I don't see a reason *not* to upgrade from XP to Vista. I haven't heard of any critical bugs so far, and the real adopters I've talked to so far are all happy with it, *except* those running it on crappy, 5 year old hardware with 512 MB RAM. I wouldn't run my trusty OS X Leopard on a G4 with 512 MB RAM either ...  Smile
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

bagpiper

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:28 pm

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 27):

Yay for meeting a nice Mac user!

Wink

/Off Topic

Dougloid

Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:18 am

Quoting RobertNL070 (Reply 10):

That's because they're built like brick shithouses. Older HP laser printers can be bought for a song on ebay, likewise parts and supplies. I bought a couple HP1100 laserprinters lately, one of which came with the matching scanner. It cost me twenty bucks plus shipping, has a page count of about ten thousand and works like a champ with XP. The other one cost me $12 plus shipping. It needed a fuser, which cost me eighteen dollars and took about an hour to install.

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 23):
If you get 3 years or more out of your printer, computer, whatever, that's a win and you can't complain. I think if you want more than this you are expecting too much from your electronic equipment. *shrug*

'

I don't know about that...part of the fun of computing for me is doing as much as possible on as slim a budget as possible. If you stay about two steps behind the technology curve you can do a lot for a very little....OLPC Dougloid style, anyone?
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

CaptOveur
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:09 am

Quoting Ag92 (Reply 4):

I have a very cheap Nvidia GeForce 8400 with 256mb ram. It was all of $50

I have no idea what framerate I am getting. I just know everything is smooth enough when I was messing with FSX as part of the new computer shakedown.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

bill142

Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:28 am

Quoting David L (Reply 21):
The fact remains that "many" jumped straight from 98/NT to XP so saw a huge

You forgot Windows Millenium Edition which was essentially a home version of Windows 2000. It was an upgrade of Windows 98 where as Windows 2000 was based on NT.

LHRjc

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 am

I've been using Vista Business on one of my machines for some time now to do some testing for work. The only issue I have with it really is how much RAM it uses for no apparent reason, compared with XP. Here's a screenshot of my Vista laptop now - it's using over 1GB of RAM when all I have open is a.net, Outlook and MSN. Oh and a couple of bog standard Sidebar apps. So it leaves me with only 900MB RAM to play with, which, considering I'm not doing anything, is pathetic. That said, I like it, and if you have a decent spec machine, it's faster than XP for sure.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q257/LHRjc/vistadesktop.jpg
"Our 319's are very reliable. They get fixed very quickly."