ORFflyer

RE: NFL Division Weekend Thread

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 87):
At this point it's Green Bay and New England on Feb 3 . . .

No doubt in my mind - with the Pats winning.

halls120

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 99):
In my opinion, they were a damn fine team playing in an excellent division.

I doubt you'd get many Redskin fans here in DC to agree, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Quoting DCrawley (Reply 99):
So what do you have to argue with me about? I listed facts:

- "..the Seahawks were in contention for the playoffs this year with a 10 and 6 record."
- "No division is won by default; it's won by hard work, good players, and great coaches."
- "The AFC East and West were just the same: 1 stand-out team, 1 mediocre team, and 2 bad teams."

Which one do you have a problem with?

The idea that every division is equal, and that every division winner is equal. If that wasn't your point, than I apologize.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

huskyaviation

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 101):
I doubt you'd get many Redskin fans here in DC to agree, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I disagree with that assertion--every Redskins fan I meet is delusional, thinking they are going to the SB every year. As enthusiastic as they are, 'Skins fans know less about football than any other team's fans I've ever seen.

halls120

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:02 pm

Quoting HuskyAviation (Reply 102):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 101):

I disagree with that assertion--every Redskins fan I meet is delusional, thinking they are going to the SB every year. As enthusiastic as they are, 'Skins fans know less about football than any other team's fans I've ever seen.

rotfl  You are right about that. But this year, after they stumbled so badly, there was significant malaise amongst the faithful. One of my car pool mates is a die-hard fan, and he thought they were a terrible team all year.

Dan Snyder is the biggest problem the Redskins have.

But what do I know - I'm a long suffering 49'ers faithful, who at least recognized early on that the Niners were going nowhere this year.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

huskyaviation

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 103):
But what do I know - I'm a long suffering 49'ers faithful, who at least recognized early on that the Niners were going nowhere this year.

As am I. I would have loved to go 9-7 and make the playoffs like the Redskins did, but the 49ers came crashing back to earth this year in a big way after their magical 7-9 finish last year LOL.  Smile

I'd love to have one more taste of the glory days.

ORFflyer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:08 pm

no 

Dan's getting a bum rap. Even Joe Gibbs gave him big kudos, long before his latest retirement, and after.

The Redskins are in need of a quarterback, and some O-Line.

steeler83

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 87):
At this point it's Green Bay and New England on Feb 3 . . .

And hopefully, Brett Favre will go out with a bang this season. I wish I would've been able to see him play this season... Sad
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N1120A

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:33 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 106):

And hopefully, Brett Favre will go out with a bang this season. I wish I would've been able to see him play this season...

Favre has already confirmed that he will play next year.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

steeler83

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 107):

Oh, thanks for correcting me then. I haven't paid that close attention to ESPN lately  silly 
Is he going to finish his career out with the Pack? I imagine he would...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

N1120A

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 pm

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 108):
Is he going to finish his career out with the Pack? I imagine he would...

Without a doubt. I don't see him comfortable playing anywhere else, and the only logical place to move would be New Orleans, and my Saints already have a QB. Further, the Cheese Heads would crucify management if they let him retire anything by a Packer.

Chi-town

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 pm

AFC Champ.
San Diego @ New England 38-27 New England

NFC Champ.
New York @ Green Bay 24-21 Green Bay

Superbowl

Green Bay vs. New England 42-27 New England

dragon-wings

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:09 am

Wade Philips must of been watching a different game, cause today he said the Cowboys out played the Giants and the better team lost.  laughing 
Don't give up don't ever give up - Jim Valvano

halls120

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:24 am

Quoting ORFflyer (Reply 105):

Dan's getting a bum rap. Even Joe Gibbs gave him big kudos, long before his latest retirement, and after.

The Redskins are in need of a quarterback, and some O-Line.

Dan Snyder has been a disaster as an owner. While he has increased the value of the team, their on field performance has been a joke. When Snyder took over the team, he got rid of the football pros that had helped build Joe Gibbs' early teams - particularly Charlie Casserly, in favor of hacks like Vinnie Cerrato. Snyder's debacles include Norv Turner, Steve Spurrier, firing Marty Schottenheimer, signing old has beens like Deion Sanders and Jeff George, and until Joe Gibbs came back, one of the worst draft runs in history. With the exception of Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, the early Snyder drafts were horrible.

N1120A

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:03 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 112):

Dan Snyder has been a disaster as an owner. While he has increased the value of the team, their on field performance has been a joke.

Snyder kind of reminds me of the NFL version of Donald Sterling, only with a much more valuable commodity.

With the exception of Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, the early Snyder drafts were horrible.

Well, Snyder had some good picks, the likes of Champ Bailey and LaVar Arrington, but they either ended up on other teams or injured into retirement.

halls120

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 113):
With the exception of Jon Jansen and Chris Samuels, the early Snyder drafts were horrible.

Well, Snyder had some good picks, the likes of Champ Bailey and LaVar Arrington, but they either ended up on other teams or injured into retirement.

Bailey was a great pick, but they let him go to the Broncos. Arrington was undisciplined, overrated and often injured.

N1120A

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:23 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 114):
Arrington was undisciplined, overrated and often injured.

I don't necessarily agree with that. He was always in great shape and only missed a major part of one season with an injury, a brutal one at that. His all around play as a linebacker, when healthy, can't be denied. It is sad that his agent was so terrible.

Still, who the hell is Rod Gardiner  Wink

halls120

Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 115):
Quoting Halls120 (Reply 114):
Arrington was undisciplined, overrated and often injured.

I don't necessarily agree with that. He was always in great shape and only missed a major part of one season with an injury, a brutal one at that. His all around play as a linebacker, when healthy, can't be denied. It is sad that his agent was so terrible.

Your opinion.

Others, like Paul Attner, of the Sporting News, had a different view.

Quote:

Posted: August 4, 2005

I give you LaVar Arrington. And I wonder how many teams, even the Redskins, really would take him if they had the opportunity.

Arrington has become a classic underachiever. Injuries have contributed to his disappointing NFL career, but even when healthy, we've rarely seen the dominant linebacker we were expecting when he left Penn State.

It's easy to dismiss the disappointment by claiming those expectations were too much and unfair. Except Arrington gladly embraced them and left no doubt he surely would become a great player.

Instead, he has become anything but. His coaches have grumbled about his inability to stay disciplined within the defensive calls. His desire to make the spectacular play instead of being more focused on consistency annoys them, too. And now he can't seem to stay healthy.

When he does start playing again, it will be interesting to see if he has matured at all. If so, he still has time to become a star. If he hasn't, we'll keep wondering how the heck someone with this kind of ability can disappear so frequently during games.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...d=d596665f753da157c92000a833879c48

Jeremy

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 98):
The Patriots haven't had to face SD's brand of team speed,

They did, and they smoked them 38-14.
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

steeler83

Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:29 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 109):
Without a doubt. I don't see him comfortable playing anywhere else, and the only logical place to move would be New Orleans, and my Saints already have a QB. Further, the Cheese Heads would crucify management if they let him retire anything by a Packer.

Much like we'd crucity the Rooneys if they let Big Ben go. I will enjoy watching him in the Superbowl. I don't see Eli Manning outplaying the Pack. He's on a hot streak right now, but Favre has been on a much bigger streak.

I know SD got whacked by the Pats, but it doesn't matter who beat who and by however much in the Playoffs; what matters is which team is on a hot streak, and right now, the Pats seem to be kinda leveling off. They beat Jax 31-20, but considering what they've been doing all season, that's not a big point spread for NE. We saw how Favre responded in that 14-point deficit, he came right back and blew the Seahawks away (with helf from his fellow cheeseheads of course). I think they can manhandle the Giants this weekend. I know he wants to get back to the Superbowl, and I know his team does, too...

JeffSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 97):
Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 73):
it was great to see Terrell Owens crying and wearing his sunglasses during the post game press conference

I was actually kind of glad to see some emotion out of him.....shows he cares about his QB and his team.

There's no doubt he's an emotional guy. Steve Mariucci, who was his coach with the 49ers, said as much right after Owens' press conference saying that he cried when getting the game ball in San Francisco after a tough loss, and that he also cried about something on the field that day. But he's also been a first-class jerk and that's why I don't like him. Wasn't he cut from the Eagles in '05 for conduct detrimental to the team? It's too bad because he actually started his career with the 'Niners with a great attitude.

Quoting Queso (Reply 76):
The Cowboys screwed around too long and got caught with their pants down, just like they very nearly did several other times this year but they got lucky in those instances.

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 82):

The GIants defensive coordinator simply outcoached the vaunted Jason Garrett in the second half. The Cowboys running game went flat, and their O line couldn't stop Romo having to run for his life.

After looking at the stats from the game, it's amazing to me that the Giants actually did win. But they came through with clutch plays and the offense didn't give away the ball so the defense was able to hold. Also, Feagles was able to punt deep into Cowboys territory so their offense had to march all the way down the field, with the Giants giving up short pass plays and then containing. Also, the Giants special teams had some great run backs which really helped them in their own field position. But how Marion Barber didn't keep on running over the Giants D is a mystery to me--he owned the first half. Still, the Giants scored nearly 1 point for every minute their offense was was on the field, and in the end that's what counted.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff21/JeffSFO/giants_cbs.png

Dougloid

Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:31 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 119):
After looking at the stats from the game, it's amazing to me that the Giants actually did win. But they came through with clutch plays and the offense didn't give away the ball so the defense was able to hold. Also, Feagles was able to punt deep into Cowboys territory so their offense had to march all the way down the field, with the Giants giving up short pass plays and then containing. Also, the Giants special teams had some great run backs which really helped them in their own field position. But how Marion Barber didn't keep on running over the Giants D is a mystery to me--he owned the first half. Still, the Giants scored nearly 1 point for every minute their offense was was on the field, and in the end that's what counted.

I think someone once said that the Confederacy "wore themselves out whippin' Yankees". It seems to apply here.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

N1120A

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:50 pm

Also, Feagles was able to punt deep into Cowboys territory

Coffin corner baby. The foot sometimes comes into play in football.

Tom in NO

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm

Stats don't mean jack when the number on your side of the scoreboard is lower than that on the other side. Just ask Peyton Manning.....he threw for 402 yards on Sunday, and he'll be relaxing on the barc-a-lounger this coming Sunday.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

JeffSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:45 pm

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 122):
Just ask Peyton Manning.....he threw for 402 yards on Sunday, and he'll be relaxing on the barc-a-lounger this coming Sunday.

Interesting. Peyton Manning also threw more INTs than TDs in last year's run to the Super Bowl, and is the only SB winning quarterback to ever do so. Without a strong defense that will dominate, you can get away such things.

Anyway, props to Norv Turner for going 2-0 in this year's playoffs with SD and knocking off the Colts. I always thought he was a mediocre head coach but he's getting it done now so it will fun to watch the Pats and the 'Bolts' fight it out.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 120):
I think someone once said that the Confederacy "wore themselves out whippin' Yankees". It seems to apply here.

Very well put.

N1120A

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 pm

Quoting JeffSFO (Reply 123):

Anyway, props to Norv Turner for going 2-0 in this year's playoffs with SD and knocking off the Colts.

It is actually very impressive, and he has certainly silenced those who thought getting rid of Marty was a bad idea (not me, Marty never wins in the playoffs). I think Norv has finally learned that he knows nothing about defense and has allowed his coordinators to control that aspect of the game.

Peyton Manning also threw more INTs than TDs in last year's run to the Super Bowl, and is the only SB winning quarterback to ever do so.

Huh? Are you talking about a single game? For the season, he had 31 TDs and 9 INTs

JeffSFO

Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 124):
Peyton Manning also threw more INTs than TDs in last year's run to the Super Bowl, and is the only SB winning quarterback to ever do so.

Huh? Are you talking about a single game? For the season, he had 31 TDs and 9 INTs

Sorry, poorly worded on my part, I meant last year's playoff run to the Super Bowl.

Gunships

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:22 am

Quoting Dragon-wings (Reply 111):
Wade Philips must of been watching a different game, cause today he said the Cowboys out played the Giants and the better team lost.

Yeah, I saw that...totally classless comments. Own up to the fact that you got beat and take it like the man you supposedly are.

I guess he didn't see how much of an ass T.O. looked like when he was crying about the game, too. I'd have thought he might learn from the mistake of others...but apparently not.

cry   hissyfit 

Boeing7E7

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:12 am

Quoting Jeremy (Reply 117):
They did, and they smoked them 38-14.

While injuries are probably going to kill them, the Chargers are a different team then they were 3 months ago. You take out a few bogus calls by the refs in that Indy game and the Chargers win by an additional 7 points for sure, potentially 14 after they picked up the flag claiming Rivers was out of the pocket on a Pass Interference call which led to a missed field goal. That would be what 35-24 Chargers over Indy without the phantom holding call on the run-back, 38-24 or 42-24 would certainly have turned a few heads if the out of pocket call results in a short field goal or a TD.

CastleIsland

Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:23 am

Latest weather forecast for NE on Sunday is mid teens after a rainstorm on Friday. Brutal cold and a frozen field. Welcome Chargers. Artificial turf is far more comfortable.
"People don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Dylan

aerobalance

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:07 am

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 128):
Welcome Chargers

Considering that 3/4 of the Bolts played college bowl in 'cold weather ' schools I don't think this is a factor - try harder  Smile
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

MUWarriors

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:34 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 107):

Sadly not the case... http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=706512
the last two paragraphs. I think he will come back if they don't win, but he isn't saying that he is definitely coming back at this point.

Quoting CastleIsland (Reply 128):
Latest weather forecast for NE on Sunday is mid teens after a rainstorm on Friday. Brutal cold and a frozen field. Welcome Chargers. Artificial turf is far more comfortable.

Green Bay could be fun too. On Thursday they are predicting 6 inches of snow followed by bitterly cold temperatures this weekend. In Milwaukee here they are saying lows of -2 on Saturday and -5 on Sunday, with highs in the single digits. It will be colder up in Green Bay, should make for some fun football weather.

Dougloid

Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 121):
Also, Feagles was able to punt deep into Cowboys territory

Coffin corner baby. The foot sometimes comes into play in football.

Feagles seems to get better and better...I like how he boots the ball and then studies where it's going to go before he heads down the field. When you've got a guy who can consistently nail the opponent down in the backfield you've got a significant added dimension to your game. He's enormously durable too, having never missed a game in his career.

http://www.giants.com/team/player18.html

N1120A

Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:56 pm

Quoting MUWarriors (Reply 130):

Sadly not the case..

Odd. I heard just such a report on the radio like 3 days ago.

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 131):

Feagles seems to get better and better...

You know who else is quickly turning into a hell of a punter? Mike Scifres of the Chargers.

Dougloid

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:42 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 132):
Quoting Dougloid (Reply 131):

Feagles seems to get better and better...

You know who else is quickly turning into a hell of a punter? Mike Scifres of the Chargers.

I haven't been watching the Chargers much so I'll have to take your word for it...I noticed it last week. Feagles boots the ball down the field, and he watches where it's going to go before he takes off. The only other athlete I ever saw who did that kinda thing was Reggie Jackson. I saw him belt one into the stands at Angels Stadium one time....sweet. He connected-you could hear that *whack* and he stood there for a second and watched it go.

Confuscius

Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:55 am

In other Cheese Head news...

Father arrested for forcing son to wear Green Bay Packers jersey

The Associated Press
4:08 PM CST, January 16, 2008

PORTAGE, Wis. - Upset that his 7-year-old son wouldn't wear a Green Bay Packers jersey during the team's playoff victory Saturday, a man restrained the boy for an hour with tape and taped the jersey onto him.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...odd-disorderly-fan,1,3388540.story
Ain't I a stinker?

Boeing7E7

Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:35 am

Quoting Confuscius (Reply 134):
Father arrested for forcing son to wear Green Bay Packers jersey

As much as I miss San Diego's weather, reading crap like this in the paper everyday about insane Packer Fans makes up for it.