Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Phoenix9
Topic Author

What Motivates You?

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Hello fellow A.netters!

I have gone through some really rough time (the whole of 2007 was worse than a nightmare) and now I find myself in a situation where I can achieve a lot if I can motivate myself. But after the nasty stuff happened in 2007 my spirits and enthusiasm are all gone, even though I can potentially loose my job. Even that doesn't give me enough motivation. How do you guys motivate urself? So you have someone that moviates you? something? I've tried a few different techniques but nothing is really working. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks all!

aa61hvy

RE: What Motivates You?

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:14 pm

My motivation are my goals.. I set goals, I try to achieve them. Nothing satisfies me more than achieving a goal I had set out to do...

jamesbuk

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:17 pm

I get motivated by being challenged because Im very competitive - If someone tells me I wont be able to do something, Ill try my hardest to do it e.g. My english teacher told me I wouldnt pass my final english exam, so I passed it.

Rgds --James--

AsstChiefMark

Nothing motivates me lately. I see no reason to try. It's hard to dig yourself out of a 100 foot deep hole with a spoon.  Sad

steeler83

I have God and very strong family support for motivation. For me personally, it is also a passionate desire to seek work as a transportation planner or community development planner for someone. For me, 2007 wasn't too terribly bad, which is more than I could say for my girlfriend, poor thing. She lost her grandmother to cancer, her dad's coworker betrayed him, her uncle was also sick... For me, I went back to college to pursue a planning degree, completed an internship, I completed my degree last semester by getting a 4.0 in that semester, bringing me to a 3.6 over all...

So again, for me it was very strong and close family support, God, as well as my girlfriend. I really want to try and build a very good life for the two of us. I want to make my family very proud of me, and I want to be proud of myself, too...

All I can say is hang in there mate. Now would be a good time to rely on friends and family.

seb146

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:21 pm

My motivation is telling myself that if I ever run into the a**holes that said I would never amount to anything, I can look down my nose at them and prove to them that I did everything I wanted to do, I am well on my way to doing even more and just because my goals do not fit into their tiny little box of what they think I should have done, I am way better than they are because I have learned I am happiest when I am me and I have learned a lot and seen even more. If they do not like it, they are not worth my time. Living well truly is the best revenge!

steeler83

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:30 pm

Quoting Jamesbuk (Reply 2):
I get motivated by being challenged because Im very competitive - If someone tells me I wont be able to do something, Ill try my hardest to do it e.g. My english teacher told me I wouldnt pass my final english exam, so I passed it.

That also motivates me, having challenges. When I did the internship at a planning commission, I had the privilage of working with someone in the US Army and he made very very good marks in college, and I commented that I never really made decent marks like that, and that I am probably not capable of it. He said, "you probably are capable, but you just haven't discovered that potential yet..."

As I posted above, my family and what not really began to motivate me for the Fall 2007 semester at WCU of PA, and I finished the semester with a 4.0, the first time I ever got straight "A"s. The work load was rediculous, but I was determined to finish West Chester University on a high note. Instead of putting off assignments, I just did them when they were assigned so I didn't have a mountain of work to do at the last minute.

I guess that also motivated me, (how badly I wanted something and how passionate I am for planning) and every day I made the 60 minute commute to West Chester was a very good day. I came back to Lancaster with a very strong sense of accomplishment.

[Edited 2008-01-13 09:42:05]

jetblueguy22

Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:36 pm

My motivation is that if I have a tough time there are always and I mean always people around you who care about you very much. It may not seem like it now but there are. Whenever a day goes sour I always look forward to going home and seeing my little bro and sis and they make my day brighter. If you don't have someone to go home to see if a buddy will go out and have a beer with you and watch the game. It will make you happier and you will feel much better.
Blue

jamesbaldwyn

Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Quoting Phoenix9 (Thread starter):

Wink

CastleIsland

Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:43 pm

My wife's happiness
that new guitar that needs to be played in new unfound ways
my desire to never shovel snow again
the night sky in a dark locale
empty pots and pans with a full larder
untasted scotch
and...

...popcorn

aerobalance

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:41 pm

A roof over my head and 3 square meals a day...

jetblueguy22

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:35 am

Quoting Jamesbaldwyn (Reply 8):

I believe I have a new motivation!
Blue

MCOflyer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 am

Quoting AA61Hvy (Reply 1):
My motivation are my goals.. I set goals, I try to achieve them. Nothing satisfies me more than achieving a goal I had set out to do...

Same here.

What motivates me is when people crtisise me about my weight, and who I am. I love the challenges of each day and love the fact that one has new experiences everywhere he or she goes.

Hunter

FlyDeltaJets87

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:21 am

What I'm aiming for in the next 2.5 years, and 5 years respectively:

Commissioning and Receiving My 2nd Lieutenant Bar

Getting Selected for, Attending and Completing Air Force Pilot Training, and Earning My Wings:

LAXspotter

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:49 am

Quoting Aerobalance (Reply 10):
A roof over my head and 3 square meals a day...

checkmark   checkmark 

Another motivation: leaving the shithole that is the suburbs.

IFEMaster

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:56 am

After my wife died, I couldn't get motivated to do anything, until her sister and parents reminded me of what she would say if she was around. Certainly lots of things have changed and will be changing in my life, but for the most part, her infectious smile and lust for life are what's motivating me right now. Who know where life will go; I don't even really have any goals at the moment since selling the business, except relax for a while and play a lot of golf, but whatever I put my hand to, I'm sure I'll be able to find the motivation to do it and do it well.

vaporlock

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:54 am

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Make a list of all the things you used to do that made you feel good and go out and do some of those things! Take a friend along and have a great time!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

SmithAir747

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:22 am

What motivates me?

I am motivated to pursue my career goal (PhD in craniofacial embryology) by my own personal experiences with craniofacial deformities (in the form of Treacher Collins syndrome). That's what drove me to go halfway around the world, to London, in the last 3 years to study this field, and then to move to the West Coast to continue my education, at UCSF.

I am motivated to do many things that people have doubted that I could do. Their doubts actually push me to try anyway, and actually do these things, to show them I can do anything I put my mind to. People have historically thought I could never speak, never hear, never make a life for myself, because of my hearing and speech deficits. I was believed to be developmentally delayed, autistic, and nonverbal. Many schools (and children's church programs) did not want me as a child. In school and in university, I have had to prove myself over and over to doubters.

SmithAir747

SAN787

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:25 am

Goal setting! Determine what would make you 100% happy. Write it down. Put together (on paper) an action plan of how you are going to get there. Dissect that larger goal multiple smaller goals. Once you successfully achieve each smaller goal along they way, reward yourself, and likewise when you reach the top of the mountain...Philosophy of DIRECTION and MOVEMENT...establish where you want to go, and how you're going to get there.

This is very simplistic, but has worked very well for when I have felt a bit sluggish.

Hope this helps you!

fxramper

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:26 am

Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior is my rock.

ShyFlyer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:36 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 19):
Jesus Christ, my Lord and Savior is my rock.

Amen to that!!  bigthumbsup 

Many different things motivate me:

My desire to serve my country lead me to join the Civil Air Patrol and is now pointing me towards the Air National Guard.

My desire to join the Guard has provided me the necessary motivation to lose weight.

High gas prices have motivated me to keep my SUV parked as much as possible.

The fact that I'm only at peace when I fly continues to motivate me to search out ways to pay for my flight training.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:15 am

How do you guys motivate urself

Firstly.We don't know why you are not able to motivate yourself & what transpired in 2007,but that is something maybe you would not want to share & its understandable..

Speaking for myself......I have no one to motivate me,as I don't share my sad times with anyone.Some say its wrong,But I feel I can handle the sad times & solve them better myself that if I had to share it with others around it would make them sad too.

My motivation can be setting small targets/goals & trying to achieve them one at a time,then gradually increasing the Targets/goals as I succeed.
If someone Insults or challenges me/ridicules me,I get motivated to prove them wrong & it works faster because Im more determined then.

You need to find your best path & for starts the small target/goals is a good outlet.

try not to over think the problem,look at mixing with people & varying the topics.

Im sure you'll get out of it & be around to help others motivate themselves in future.

cheers

regds
MEL

ag92

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:40 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 21):
If someone Insults or challenges me/ridicules me,I get motivated to prove them wrong & it works faster because Im more determined then.

Yes, I know this all too well. As I am overweight, when i am playing sports many people think that I can't play and I will be an easy opponent however after hearing that my desire to win increases and 99% of the times I actually win after that.

My main motivation is my desire and what I want in life - pilot, good home, fitness, and success

SBBRTech

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:28 pm

I often picture myself in my 40s or 50s standing in some unemployment queue begging for any two-bit sales job available.

It´s a great self-terrorization exercise and a great motivation to get moving.

[Edited 2008-01-14 06:30:02]

767Lover

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:14 pm

Being self-employed is an excellent motivator. For the past 10 years, I haven't eaten unless I've been able to go out and get new business and sustain existing business.

From a personal standpoint, my wonderful husband motivates me to be the best partner he could ever ask for.

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:42 am

My Three terms are:- EAT WELL,SLEEP WELL,EXERCISE WELL.
Thats been working well for me.
regds
MEL