AC320
Topic Author

Shopping For An Engagement Ring

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Well things have been going fantastically well for my girlfriend and I and by this summer we will mark two years together.

We went comparative shopping for engagement rings today and it was really helpful to get an idea of what her tastes are and what looks good. Needless to say there's a tone of choices and styles (not to mention prices out there). Thankfully, she's very simple and the preference seems to be for a solitaire set on a simple white gold band.

Of course now there's a mind-numbing array of stone quality, clarity, colour, and certifications out there. I'm thankful at least me new job gives me breathing room financially.

Part of me is gravitating to a custom ring, where I select the stone and band separately from either a jeweler or wholesaler direct, which is proving to be cheaper for what I'm looking for, but then the chain stores in the malls throw all these warranties and guarantees out there..

I know quite a few A.netters have taken the plunge, any advice for ring shopping or experiences to share?
fuddle duddle

chris78cpr

RE: Shopping For An Engagement Ring

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Yeah don't buy one!  Wink Sign a pre nup!  Wink

In all seriousness though, good luck with it!

Chris
5D2/7D/1D2(soon to be a 1Dx) 17-40L/24-105L/70-200F2.8L/100-400L/24F1.4LII/50F1.2L/85F1.2LII

kmh1956

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Since I assume you're planning for this marriage to last "until death do you part", don't scrimp. Buy the best stone (color, carat, clarity) that you can afford...and for God's sake, don't buy an engagement ring from a wholesaler. That's just tacky.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

MaidensGator

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:44 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
and for God's sake, don't buy an engagement ring from a wholesaler.

Really, there are plenty of pawn shops, filled with plenty of slightly used engagement rings....  Wink

Just kidding... I looked in about 20 stores and one ring just caught my eye. I knew that was the one and bought it on the spot. It fit her like it was made for her; I guess it was....

Congratulations and good luck !!!  Cool
The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers.

AC320
Topic Author

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:55 pm

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 2):
don't buy an engagement ring from a wholesaler.

Well not the ring per se, but I might look into getting the stone (certified) from a party that deals simply in stones, some casual looking seems to indicate I might be able to find a wider selection and get a more specific colour and clarity level at a lower cost
fuddle duddle

AA7295

Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:59 pm

Awww. True love..how cute.

I don't know how much breathing room you have financially, but my sister said her dream ring would be a Harry Winston, but she'd settle for Tiffany & Co. But a decent T&Co ring can start at around US$15,000.

I like the idea of making a custom ring, becuase that means you went out of your way for her. It's more special that way, and think in like 50 years when you two have grandkids, it could be a family heirloom that she can pass down. If you know what she likes (I think you should employ one her besties for this job), make a custom one.

My $0.02

kmh1956

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 am

Quoting AC320 (Reply 4):
more specific colour and clarity level at a lower cost

Just remember you get what you pay for....was in the jewellery business for the better part of 15 years....and any diamond given to me had better be GIA certified.......or, at the very least, appraised by a reputable jeweller. I will not wear crap....nor should your g/f....no matter how attractive the price may be.
'Somebody tell me why I'm on my own if there's a soulmate for everyone' :Natasha Bedingfield

AC320
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:18 am

Quoting AA7295 (Reply 5):
I don't know how much breathing room you have financially, but my sister said her dream ring would be a Harry Winston, but she'd settle for Tiffany & Co. But a decent T&Co ring can start at around US$15,000.

Wow! Holy crap. My breathing room means at least I don't have to fish her ring out of a Cracker Jack box. Thankfully here tastes are very simple and she appears to gravitate towards half-carat stones in very simple settings, so I might escape under $3,000.

Quoting Kmh1956 (Reply 6):
and any diamond given to me had better be GIA certified.......or, at the very least, appraised by a reputable jeweller. I will not wear crap....nor should your g/f....no matter how attractive the price may be.

After seeing examples of stones in stores and hearing horror stories, I agree the certification is important  Wow!

[Edited 2008-01-13 16:22:38]
fuddle duddle

emiratesa345

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:28 am

My girlfriend and I had talked about the future and obviously rings came up. She told me that she heard somewhere that the value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary. I thought this was ridiculous.  Wow!

-Mark
You and I were meant to fly, Air Canada!

ryangooner

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am

you say shes very simple, ditch her! and do the authorities know what your doing with such a simple lass?
ooh to ooh to be ooh to be a gooner!

767Lover

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 am

I am a married woman and trust me, it is not worth starting a marriage out with a huge amount of debt because of a $15K ring. My husband lucked out because I had an heirloom I wanted to use for sentimental reasons--he just had to get a diamond for it. Even so, I would have not wanted him to spend an enormous amount of money on a ring. It is the meaning behind it that matters.

steeler83

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:39 am

Quoting 767Lover (Reply 10):
I am a married woman and trust me, it is not worth starting a marriage out with a huge amount of debt because of a $15K ring. My husband lucked out because I had an heirloom I wanted to use for sentimental reasons--he just had to get a diamond for it. Even so, I would have not wanted him to spend an enormous amount of money on a ring. It is the meaning behind it that matters.

I feel the same way. I have a cousin who shelled out $5k for a ring for a girl he would ultimately part ways with. Now, he's working a couple of jobs just to pay off that rather burdensome debt, last I heard anyway. I don't hear too much from my dad's side of the family...

I do have one of my own experiences though. I didn't buy an engagement ring... yet... but my girl and I at least went window shopping if you will. I just wanted an idea of what kind of ring she liked, type of stone, size, ring type, etc, and I am going to set a budget of $2000 - $3000, 1/2 carat round cut, yellow gold, size 4.25... We looked at rings that fit that criteria, and the prices were in the $2000 to $2500 range. This is the main reason why I want to get a nice high-paying job very soon. I plan on saving thousands of dollars so that I can pay for one of these up front and not have to worry about monthly payments on it. I plan on doing this this year...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

kmh1956

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 am

Quoting EmiratesA345 (Reply 8):
value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary

That's just a guideline.....it's not etched in stone.

102IAHexpress

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:39 am

I’m not sure how anyone can trust the way the diamond industry polices themselves; so how can you be sure you’re buying a conflict free diamond? I say, screw the diamond cartels and save your hard earned cash and buy a cultured diamond instead.

Cultured diamonds should not to be confused with diamond-like cubic zirconias, which are just a crystalline form of zirconium dioxide (ZrO2), but rather are genuine diamonds that have actually been produced for decades, but because of costs have been small and limited to industrial uses. But with advances in technology cultured diamonds can now be up to 2 carats in weight and come in a variety of colors such as clear, yellow, orange, and pink, making them gem quality at a fraction of the price of a mined diamond.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/SavingandDebt/P97816.asp

jfktowerfan
Editor

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:45 am

Go to a good jeweler, don't buy from some crappy mall store or some chain. Go to someone who will give you good service and take time to explain everything and even show you the difference in diamond qualities. Ask friends and family who they go to. You may pay a bit more (or quite possibly less), but in the end it will be well worth it.

Corey
C'mon Man

kmh1956

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:48 am

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 13):
buy a cultured diamond instead.

Sacrilege!!!

kbfispotter

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 am

I got my fiance's engagement ring for about $500. She told me before hand that she did not want any thing fancy, so I got her a simple solitare ring, and the best part is, she loved it!

I would not worry too much about finding the "right" ring, because when you find it, you will know what it is. The most important thing, thoughm is make sure that she is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with...

Kris
Proud to be an A&P!!!

JBirdAV8r

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:17 am

She told me that she heard somewhere that the value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary.

I heard 2 months, but eh....that's what the diamond peddlers want you to think. That's a lot of bazoomas for a tiny little rock.

As for me, quality definitely matters, but gaudy is definitely out. I have my eye set on a relatively simple design: A platinum ring with the trademark Tiffany setting, with a diamond from .75 to 1 carat, about VS2 clarity and good color. It may be typical but I think it looks stellar and would look the best on my girlfriend's hand. I'm budgeting between $10-$15k on it...I figure we've been dating 3-4 years, we can go another 3 or so years while she finishes up pharmacy school, and the purchase should be -relatively- painless if I spend all that time saving up my pennies.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 am

I went through this little palaver a few years ago and have a few tips. Ignore as you wish but here's my thoughts.

-Don't buy from a chain under any circumstances! Even Tiffany & Co is just a chain at the end of the day and you are paying a lot for that aquamarine bag.
-Don't buy the biggest carat diamond you can, strike a compromise on quality of the diamond but don't get a 1/32th carat if it is perfect rating!
-Don't saddle yourself with a ton of debt just to get a perfect ring for your loved one. If they are the right one they love you for getting a candy ring  Wink Now that doesn't mean you can go Jared (God I hate those adverts!) but don't feel compelled to spend a years salary!

Personally I did it like this:
I bought a diamond from the Caymans. Managed to get a really good deal on a beautiful cushion cut (I hadn't heard of it until I saw it) with superb clarity. I took it to my fiance's family jeweler and we came up with a design for the band and the baguettes (he gave the latter to us an a present  Smile) and when we got it appraised it came to double the component parts. I joked we should subsequently sell it  biggrin  but I really liked the way we put it together ourselves. It's a bit like getting a package holiday versus going it alone. You have the enjoyment of coming up with it yourself and you get the result you want and a bit of satisfaction, or you go for some ready done thing that was someone else's idea and live with it. I know which I'd rather and I paid less in the process!

I know someone who recently proposed to his girlfriend. He really wanted to go to Tiffany's and his ring had a similar sized, but worse quality Princess cut diamond than the one I got. Overall it doesn't look as nice and it cost almost three times the amount, but hey it came from Tiffany so that's alright, eh?  Yeah sure
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

greasespot

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 am

Make sure it is a canadian Diamond....none of ours are conflict diamonds....

And I heard 3 mos as well....

Gs
Sometimes all you can do is look them in the eye and ask " how much did your mom drink when she was pregnant with you?"

Jeremy

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:14 am

I agree. There are plenty of couples who spent crazy amounts and the marriage did not last a year and couples who have cracker jack rings that have been married 50 years.
You both will know what is right for you.

Quoting AC320 (Thread starter):
Well things have been going fantastically well for my girlfriend and I and by this summer we will mark two years together.

Congratulations!
You are now free to be sexually harassed and then terminated for filing a complaint--Southwest Airlines to me.

vaporlock

Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:50 am

Justin...Congratulations!!!

I'm happy for you both and by the sounds of things your both very happy!

Way to go!!!! As far as how much to spend on a ring or where to buy it... I'm sure you'll make all the right decisions!

Vaporlock  bouncy 

EA CO AS

Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:27 am

First off, congratulations on the upcoming engagement!

Do NOT buy from a chain store at a mall. They've got REALLY high rent, and have to find a way to pay it. (Hint, hint!) Those huge discounts they advertise are not as good as they seem.

Now every woman is different, but I've seen guys focus on quality over size, and others focus on size vs. quality...

...and let me tell you, while color matters, don't focus on getting something that's internally flawless, or even VVS1, etc.

When your fiancee shows off her ring, every one of her friends is going to want to check it out. And not ONE of them will carry a jeweler's loop with them, ask if it's a VS1, IF, etc.

Get the biggest stone you can without compromising color or clarity too much. It doesn't have to be a "D" color, VVS1 to be pretty. Even going as far down as "I" in color is okay, as it's near-colorless and looks great. And it saves you money.

And again, unless her friends carry jeweler's loops around with them, you can go with even as low as an SI2 or even I1 (sometimes the inclusions can be hidden under the ring prongs), saving you more money.

I had fantastic luck going through a small, independent jeweler. My friends - many of whom have worked in the jewelry business - said my best bet was avoiding a finished ring, but buying setting and diamond independent of one another. The jeweler I used took everything into consideration and found me something great for the price I needed.

And yes, HAGGLE. They'll negotiate with you, a lot.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

CaptOveur

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:08 am

Of course now there's a mind-numbing array of stone quality, clarity, colour, and certifications out there.

99% of the women in the world don't know dick about diamonds. You can get away with a not so great diamond and chances are she will never know unless she looks at it under a microscope- with an expert beside her. Also, there are always the lab-created diamonds. She will never know the difference- unless you tell her. They cost a lot less and they are actually diamonds.

Part of me is gravitating to a custom ring, where I select the stone and band separately

Good idea.. there is something that would just feel cheap about seeing someone else with an identical ring.

Tell all your friends it was nice knowing them.
Things were better when it was two guys in a dorm room.

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:14 am

My girlfriend and myself simply went looking around at different jewelry shops to find one which fitted to her. In the end I bought two, one in white gold with a soletary diamond (plus later, a fitting necklace, earrings and a watch ) and a second one in yellow gold with diamonds, which she really liked (and it suits her). Interrestingly both rings were not that expensive, but she likes them. A big, heavy, ring with a huge stone would not have suited her anyway.
We also figured that it would be more important for us not to go back into debts and rather keep the money e.g. as downpayment for a house in future.

Jan

[Edited 2008-01-14 02:16:45]
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

miamiair

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 18):
I bought a diamond from the Caymans

I had bought my wife a pair of diamond earrings in SXM. I was dubious about the price, So I put them on the card to cover my ass in a dispute, even though they offered a guarantte that they would appraise at the amount we bought them for. Got back to MIA and had them appraised and certified by a gemologist; they appraised at twice what I paid for them.

IMHO, get a diamond that is as close to colorless as you can. The way the diamond is cut, (ratio) has a lot to do with the radience. The inclusions are the last on my list as long as there isn't a fossil in it.

it is not worth starting a marriage out with a huge amount of debt because of a $15K ring

Great advice.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

767Lover

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 pm

Quoting Greasespot (Reply 19):
And I heard 3 mos as well....

It is two months salary. Not that I agree with that (I don't think it is necessary to spend 1/6th of one's salary on a ring).

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Quoting Miamiair (Reply 25):
The inclusions are the last on my list as long as there isn't a fossil in it.

If you would find a fossil inside a diamond, you'll probably be a millionaire. Since diamonds are created at extremely high pressures and temperatures inside magma, it is impossible to find remains of living creatures inside of them.

Jan

miamiair

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 27):
If you would find a fossil inside a diamond, you'll probably be a millionaire.

I was trying to be funny. What I meant to say is that the inclusion shouldn't be as obvious as to draw your attention to it.
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

L410Turbolet

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:10 pm

Shopping around for an engagement ring is a distant future for me (I hope).  Wink Never done it before - how much info is it realistically possible to get from a jeweller as to where the diamonds came from? I'd hate to end buying one of those blood-soaked ones.

kmh1956

Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Quoting CaptOveur (Reply 23):
99% of the women in the world don't know dick about diamonds.

The female diamond-buying consumer is a very savvy consumer. Trust me....I've sold many fine diamonds in my day and the women are just as knowledgeable as men when it comes to diamond purchasing. We had a jeweller's loupe (correct spelling, BTW) available at every showcase and you would (apparently) be amazed at the numbers of women who chose a smaller stone over a honking huge one because they weren't happy with the color of one or the clarity of another...

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:40 pm

My girlfriend and I had talked about the future and obviously rings came up. She told me that she heard somewhere that the value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary. I thought this was ridiculous. Wow!

-Mark

Who has made up this rule? Jewelry shop owners? I understand though that in some cultures (e.g. Thailand) the jewelries owned by a woman are her emergency reserve, which the husband can not touch, even in case of a divorce.

Jan

CMHSRQ

Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:53 pm

This is what I did.

www.dirtcheapdiamonds.com

great deal on a fantastic diamond.
The voice of moderation

AC320
Topic Author

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks to everyone for the well-wishes.

This is some months in the future, but figure best to plan now for such an expense and important event

I've put strong thought into doing this, since being Canadian myself it's also a neat point of personalization in addition to what you quoted. Similar to the website CMHSRQ linked to, I hope to find a loose stone to my personal specifications and have a jeweler in town fit it to a custom ring. I've already gotten a few recommendations on local jewelers to use, and seem to be leaning against any of the mall stores.
fuddle duddle

Fiatstilojtd

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Quoting AC320 (Reply 7):
fish her ring out of a Cracker Jack box.

Damn, that would have been exactly my suggestion...no not really, but if she really loves you she will not care that much about the ring (diamond etc.), but more about the symbolic value.

fiatstilojtd

AirportSeven

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

andrej

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Quoting L410Turbolet (Reply 29):
- how much info is it realistically possible to get from a jeweller as to where the diamonds came from? I'd hate to end buying one of those blood-soaked ones.

Hey L410,

I think that diamonds should come with a certificate that provides its origin and that they are not blood diamonds. However I am not sure how far can you go and trace diamond's actual origins.

Cheers,
Andrej

TPAnx

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:47 pm

the value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary.

Believe this is something DeBeers dragged out for its ads. If you can afford it, fine. My wife and I wanted things lifke urniture when we got married, got a perfect 1/3rd carat stone in a nice setting from a good local jeweler..and things have been perfect for the last 40 years...
TPAnx
I read the news today..oh boy

MD11Engineer

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:59 pm

Quoting TPAnx (Reply 37):
the value of the ring should be something like 3 months salary.

Believe this is something DeBeers dragged out for its ads. If you can afford it, fine. My wife and I wanted things lifke urniture when we got married, got a perfect 1/3rd carat stone in a nice setting from a good local jeweler..and things have been perfect for the last 40 years...
TPAnx

I thought so. My girlfriend is a rather petite Filipino-Chinese woman. She likes simple elegance and a big, heavy piece of rock in a big ring wouldn't suit her style at all.

Jan

kmh1956

Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:54 pm

Here's another thought....do you have an heirloom stone that you could have put into a setting of your own design? My engagement ring was made from a diamond taken from a pair of earrings my grandmother left to my sister and me in her will. The fact that it's a family piece may mean more to both of you than bopping from store to store trying to find the "right" ring.
I had my diamond set into a simple 4-prong setting, and it was gorgeous. It's about a .55 carat stone, D color and damn close to IF clarity.
Since I am no longer married, and my ex didn't pay for the stone in the first place, I can now have the stone re-set into whatever I want.....

An-225

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:31 am

Just get her a snow globe instead.

Signed,

Flairport.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

EA CO AS

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:30 am

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 31):
Who has made up this rule?

DeBeers - the same people who have conned everyone into thinking you should never, EVER sell diamonds once you have them - keeping the secondhand market very small and their profits up.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

TUNisia

Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:34 am

Try to have it custom made. Having an expensive ring doesn't mean anything, it has to come from your heart to hers, but spring for a nice rock  Wink Women love em!
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

HAWK21M

Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:32 am

Choose the rings & engrave the names & date on the Inside.

We did that to our Marriage rings & just yesterday the kids were looking at it & enquiring about it & I started a Dads story on what occured 10 years ago  wink  & I had two young attentive listners. Smile

Time passes fast.
All I'd say....Hope your relationship goes a long long way.best Wishes.

regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Jaws707

Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:32 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I also went to look at some rings with my girlfriend recently, but we are running into a problem that she is really picky in this area and has rather expensive tastes. Its weird, because she doesn't have expensive tastes in any other area, but its something about an engagement ring that is making her weird. She likes brands like Tacori, Ritani, and Scott Kay. I told her to pick out a bunch of settings she likes, and I was looking at buying a loose stone on bluenile.com and we would try to fit in under the budget. I'm set to spend around 5K-7K, but thats it.