Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

threefourthree
Topic Author

Router Help Needed

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am

Hi, I have a Belkin Wireless 802.11g Router and a Motorola SB4101 Surfboard Cable Modem.
Currently I won't have anyone accessing the Wireless Router so it is basically useless. I want to unplug it and just put the network cable from my computer straight to the cable modem. I tried putting that network cable straight to the modem and it wouldn't work. So right now I have just left it in there.

I just want to remove it so, maybe I could get faster speeds and save a bit of electricity from not having the router on.

Do I need some settings changed? If so, how would I go about changing it back?

Thanks in advance for the help.

ManuCH

RE: Router Help Needed

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:55 am

Probably it doesn't work because you have assigned your IP address statically (eg. 192.168.1.2 or similar) to your PC. If you want to connect it directly to the cable modem, you need to have the IP address assigned dynamically (using DHCP).

It's also possible that your cable provider only allows you to connect one physical device at a time to the cable modem. By connecting your PC, it sees an additional device, and the modem first needs to "forget" about the wireless router. Try power-cycling the cable modem.

Personally I'd recommend remaining connected to the wireless router - it provides a protection layer through NAT, which doesn't allow (malicious) packets from the Internet to enter your PC.
Never trust a statistic you didn't fake yourself

MYT332

Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:58 am

Have you tried turning it on and off?
One Life, Live it.

Kay

Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:15 pm

Quoting ThreeFourThree (Thread starter):
Do I need some settings changed? If so, how would I go about changing it back?

One more advice, in yet another new direction. Call your Internet Provider. They usually register the MAC address of the router to allow it to use the internet, making it impossible to get internet from the cable modem directly. I had the same case like you but in the opposite direction. I was using a cable modem and it was impossible to use a wireless router without calling the ISP and informing them.

Kay

SBBRTech

Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:52 pm

Cable modems usually need to replicate (clone) your Ethernet card´s MAC address in their system...otherwise it's a no go.
Check your modem's installation wizard for that option.
"I'm beginning to get the hang of this flying business" - C3PO

jafa39

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:06 am

I asked a mate who is not an a.netter about this and he said this:

"he needs his PPOE info (may be a different standard down under but should still be the same logic. I would have him keep his router/ap and put his PPOE (usually an email address as a user name and his password with the provider and just keep the connection up....if not in IE Tools> Internet Options> Connections > Add or new or one of those types of options > add his ppoe info into there and select always make this connection or dial when not connected. He could also go the route of control panel > network > make a new connection and go through the PPOE info... this route I think makes an icon that he would click on to make the connection like dial up..."

Hope it makes sense to you as it's all Greek to me!!  Smile
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

bhmbaglock

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:29 am

Quoting ManuCH (Reply 1):
Probably it doesn't work because you have assigned your IP address statically (eg. 192.168.1.2 or similar) to your PC.

Possibly, Jafa brings up another real possibility.

It could also be as simple as needing a crossover cable. A lot of equipment automatically does this for you but some cheaper/older stuff doesn't. Take a look at the NW connector on the router, it's also possible that there's a slide switch nearby labelled somthing like MDI-X; if so, flip it and see if that fixes things. If either end of the connection is Gig-E then it's supposed to automatically compensate for this.
Where are all of my respected members going?

DeskPilot

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:55 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 5):
"he needs his PPOE info (may be a different standard down under but should still be the same logic. I would have him keep his router/ap and put his PPOE (usually an email address as a user name and his password with the provider and just keep the connection up

''

I'm guessing this is correct. You need to replicate the connection settings that were handled by the router (i.e. credentials and other settings). Check out you ISP's site for the settings. If you're with Bigpond, you use to (when I used them) have to run client software for logon and heartbeat. With Optus I think it was MAC address registration and User Id as you hostanme or something similar.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?

DeskPilot

Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:57 am

Quoting ThreeFourThree (Thread starter):
Currently I won't have anyone accessing the Wireless Router so it is basically useless

Actually, I'd keep it - it provides a further level of security (NAT and SPI) over a direct connection via your PC. However, I'd still recommend you run a firewall on your PC anyway.
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?